[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 632 KB, 640x640, latest[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5196453 No.5196453 [Reply] [Original]

So am I just supposed to wander around aimlessly, stumbling into events and generally having no fucking clue what I'm doing?
Because I am and I'm loving it

>> No.5196459

>>5196453
The game was produced and supervised by Kawazu, so yeah, that's what you're supposed to do, just explore and go with the flow.

>> No.5196462

For those interested there's a hack out there that removes hitstun from enemies making the combat more challenging.

>> No.5198029

>>5196462
this? http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2085/

>> No.5198095

>>5198029
Yep, that's the one. Only downside is 2-player doesn't work with it.

>> No.5198673

>>5196459
That's not really playing anything.
That's like saying holding a book and turning the page is "reading"

>> No.5198683

>>5198673
LoM is filled with a bunch of short stories...and there is no story arc to carry you through the game...well...at least until you get to the very end.

but your analogy is disingenuous at best. experiencing gameplay is like reading a book. not just turning pages.

pressing buttons on a controller without any correspondence from a game would be like turning pages in a book, bitch.

>> No.5199625

>>5198673
Go play an WRPG then faggot

>> No.5199637

I'm not a LoM expert, but I recall hearing a lot of the mechanics that aren't explained in the game were were explained in great detail in the Japanese manual (or supplemental guides), which are subsequently not translated for the English version.

>> No.5200031

>>5196453
For your first playthrough I think that's by far the best way to play it. Then if you want to go again in a harder mode then look up land placements and stuff.

>>5199637
They're mostly the crafting system which is incredibly complex but has the potential to make extremely powerful weapons. Some of the recipies require collecting materials over several playthroughs for example. It wasn't in the English guides that got published, but it was all up on Gamefaqs I assume still is.

The high level crafting isn't necessary though and I think kind of ruins the game. I made a flail that wasn't even maxed and it annihilated everything in Nightmare Mode including the last boss who died in two hits.

>> No.5200045

>>5198683
I know what my analogy was and I'm telling you that you didn't comprehend it. Gameplay is not a subjective passive experience, it's an objective engagement of rules and principles.

Simply interfacing is not "gameplay". And I should have to tell you that reading the narrative and listening to music isn't gameplay either. You can cut that all out and still have a game. But I don't want to insult your intelligence by separating the subject and object for you. Although, if you're the one being disingenuous, pretending to know my meaning, then I will absolutely explain the difference between a story and a book for you so that the next time you have a conversation about either, you don't look like a fool who thinks the pulp is in the fiction.

>> No.5200214
File: 14 KB, 500x596, IF I SEE THAT FUCKING PENGUIN ONE MORE TIME.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5198673
>That's not really playing anything.
>WAAAAAAH WHERE MY CINEMATIC MAIN QUEST MOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
That's how stupid you sound.
LoM is made up of short stories in a world YOU rebuild as you see fit, and how you build the world changes what stories you get, you're supposed to stumble through the game and happen onto a lot of things "by chance" until you start seeing the patterns instead of getting railroaded into the same exact things every playthrough, then play and replay the game again by building it differently, finding different stories or endings, the game is structured like a free form puzzle you have to put back together and it all falls into the "main" narrative as well, because you're reconstructing a long dead world and reliving its memories by using some pieces of it, and of fucking course you'll get different results depending on how you put it back together.

>> No.5202513

>beat the game
>disc gets stuck on the end credits and won't progress

Welp so much for New Game+
Guess that's what I get for buying a cheap ebay copy

>> No.5203378

>>5202513
emulation wins again

>> No.5203384

>>5200214
I wouldn't be so mad if land mana want so important. There's only two optimal map placements

>> No.5203713

Never liked this series
sure looks cute but action rpgs are shit tier

>> No.5203751

>>5203713
What genre do you like more?

>> No.5204028

>>5200214
>What's that got to do with the price of rice in china?
>Missing the point
That's how stupid you are. The story is not the game.
Assembling the board is not part of the game. To phrase it differently, turning the page is not part of the story, it's part of the book. It's a requirement, not a rule. You've got to understand those distinctions if you have any hope of discussing it, otherwise you're just a sperg who can't carry a conversation because he keeps changing the subject to whatever tickles his fancy and refuses to stick a pin in it.

So what makes Legend of Mana a game? It's the action battles. The collectibles and crafting system are all superficial and extraneous. The quest lines are novelties, like any RPG narrative, that only provide context for the game. The only requirement to complete the quests are the battles. Right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but was there ever an instance where a quest challenged the player to hatch a specific monster from an egg? Grow a certain fruit? Forge an item? Make use of a mechanic outside of the battle system in order to complete the quest?

>> No.5204079

>>5204028
>Assembling the board is not part of the game.
How the fuck is not part of the game when it's literally what decides how the game plays out and develops you pathetic excuse of a human?
>The collectibles and crafting system are all superficial and extraneous.
So are 90% of mechanics in any and all RPGs or games in general,
Just because a I can finish Fallout by punching anything to death and forego any speech check or puzzle doesn't mean anything but punches is "superficial and extraneous", just because I can finish a Tohou game without ever using bombs or using a life doesn't mean they're useless, Just because I can clear any Gran Turismo campaign with a single car doesn't mean the entire roster outside of that is useless.
>Right?
Wrong, the very fact that you need world items to access quests in the first place already throws any pathetic pretense of a point you might have had.
>B...But these battle mechanics aren't used outside of their context so the game is bad because I said so
Get the fuck out.

>> No.5204153

>>5204028
>Assembling the board is not part of the game.

Not the guy you're arguing with but tg2is is hilarious.

>> No.5204353

>>5204079
I suppose you think shuffling a deck of cards is a gameplay too because the game requires it? It's not. That's called work, not play.

>Acquiring World items
Turning the page of a book. Again, it's work; not reading. There's no comprehension, strategy, or skill, on your part. You just do it. Plus, the mechanics behind artifact placement is hidden from the player. You can't deploy strategy unless you're cheating by using a guide.

>Hur dur, I can't into reading comprehension and just pretend you mean what I want you to mean.
Let's talk about the story next so you can butcher it too. Try not to fall on your knife.

>> No.5204370

Jesus Christ, imagine being so much of an autist that you fall back to telling people what's part of a game and what isn't lmao

>> No.5204387

>>5204370
Imagine being so judgmental you tell other people what their opinions are before they've told you.

>> No.5204398

>>5204387
Imagine being totally gay, I don't have to imagine because that's you.

>> No.5204401

>>5198673
legend of mana is supposed to resemble a series of partially connected remembrances like a dream rather than a solid narrative sequence like a conscious waking experience.

it's a good time, I like the weirdness of that world

>> No.5204413

>>5203384
>optimal map placements
fuck you, nerd

>> No.5204419

>>5203751
willing to bet money it's an eternally assmad shmup fag

>> No.5204470
File: 339 KB, 446x861, Sandra_(LoM_Artwork).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5204401
The theme is love. Every event expresses a form of love. Once there's sufficient love, the Mana Tree returns.

But let's talk about how Steven Universe totally ripped off the Jumi Arc.

>> No.5204474

>>5198673
He does more than turning the pages though, he explores them so your metaphor falls flat.

>> No.5204550

>>5204474
Did everyone here fail English?

>> No.5204718
File: 69 KB, 1252x1252, 1541887076694.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5204353
>I suppose you think shuffling a deck of cards is a gameplay too
It literally fucking is, it's an integral part of the game's ruleset, how is it not gameplay?
Are you actually mentally challenged or something?
>There's no comprehension, strategy, or skill, on your part
Are you seriously telling me that figuring out land placement for getting the most optimal progression doesn't involve those?
Because you do understand that placing lands actively changes which land items you get next, which changes the questlines that are available to you before you get another land item, which also changes what you fight and consequently also changes what drops you get, which is tied to literally any and all battle mechanics outside of skill learning?
You're a literal imbecile who doesn't even understand basic gameplay implications.
>Plus, the mechanics behind artifact placement is hidden from the player.
So are the cards in a game of poker, you know what parts actually take skill in that? FIGURING THINGS OUT ON YOUR OWN BY PAYING SOME GODDAMN ATTENTION, exactly the same thing happens with land placing, especially since unlike poker there's no RNG involved.
>Try not to fall on your knife.
Try not to cut your own balls with yours and your discount Icycalm rants, you absolute fucking idiot.

>> No.5205741

>>5204718
Stop reading things "literally" and think about what they actually mean.
You're not playing a game anymore when you're using a stacked deck. You're just going through the motions. We get it. If you see the word "game" and think of the object. Moving the cursor around on the title screen is "literally" playing the game "legend of mana". But no. That's not the subject of "game" everyone is talking about. You know it doesn't make sense to read it literally. So don't.

>> No.5205760

>>5204353
Holy shit you're stupid.

>> No.5205761

>>5205741
The game is seeing how the different outcomes occur with the different ways you choose to build the world.

>> No.5207789

>>5205761
You'll have 1 outcome every time you play it. The campaign ends with the Mana Tree, every time. So that's not the game; that's your reason for playing it more than once. The order of quests is of little consequence unless you're speed running. Which is a personal challenge and not the game's challenge.

>> No.5207985

>>5207789
>the end is the same so the journey must be the same

You're a hoot