[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 283 KB, 1178x1600, daggerfall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5191613 No.5191613 [Reply] [Original]

Gonna give Daggerfall a shot, what do I need to know?
Thinking of being a nord since no Imperial race when this game was made

>> No.5191616

>>5191613
>what do I need to know?
it's xbox hueg

>> No.5191619

>>5191616
Map is bigger than Britain right?
How shallow is it because of that

>> No.5191646

>>5191619
About as shallow as it gets in 1996 with procedural generation as a new toy and the delusion that quantity > quality.

>> No.5191685

>>5191619
It's terrible. Everything is static and flat with very little difference from cell to cell. You will end up using fast travel before you know it and the map size won't make a single difference to your gameplay experience.

>> No.5191862

use a huge mousepad so you can move your mouse around to a 'fro for "combat"

>> No.5192347

>>5191685
Fast travel is a staple of the series (aside from Morrowind)

>> No.5192440

>>5191613
Some of the dungeons are bigger than Oblivion. It's a terrible game with terrible design.

>> No.5193254

Daggerfall is a piece of shit hipster game. Play Morrowind instead.

>> No.5193319

>>5191613
Morrowind > Arena > Ultima Underworld > (Daggerfall == Skyrim
== Oblivion)

>> No.5193328

>>5193319
Shit taste
Oblivion=Skyrim > Fallout NV >Fallout 3 Morrowind >Everything else
Morrowshi only has good lore and shit gameplay, even fucking daggerfall has actual fast travel

>> No.5193389
File: 627 KB, 961x461, sample-town_Daggerfall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5191685

STFU

>> No.5194321

>>5193328
replace Fallout NV/Fallout 3 with better games and I agree

>> No.5194471

>>5191613
If you ever wondered why Bethesda games are so fucking bad, this game is your answer. It's here where all their company policies and decision-making was born.
Never understood why people cream their pants over this or any other of their title. It's always either "massive" empty world or just empty world and going back and forth.

>> No.5195009
File: 31 KB, 216x158, 1499745777186.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Daggerfall > Oblivion > Battlespire > Morrowind > gap > Skyrim
Fuck morrowind, I could never get into that game.
t. zoomer

>> No.5196484

>>5191613
daggerfall unity

>> No.5196524

>>5191613
a shallow ocean

>> No.5197197

Your race choice isn't that important. It's a bit bugged and your class's stats will override anything your race has.
The exception is the high elf's resist paralysis and maybe the nord's resist frost. I can't remember any others.

If you just want to mess around first to get the hang of things then go ahead and pick a default class. But I recommend making your own class.
I recommend choosing the disadvantage "forbidden casting in daylight". It might be called something different.
Any time you need magic, it's going to be in a dungeon 99% of the time, and it's never daylight in dungeons. If you need magic outside, it's probably to unlock a door, so you'll be out there at night sneaking around anyway. This disadvantage provides no real disadvantage (though your magic power is almost always 0 when you arrive somewhere, which is annoying). But it will give you more freedom to choose more advantages.

>> No.5197665

>>5191619
There is some decent depth in your reputation and standing between kingdoms and factions and certain nobles, but overall you will not explore or go to a sizable chunk of the map unless you go out of your way to. In a sense it’s great because it makes you feel small like you’re in a big world you wot see or experience all of it and mostly it doesn’t care about you. It’s a total reversal in modern games where everyone knows you’re some kind of super chosen one sent by the gods to save the universe and they all want to line up and suck your dick

>> No.5197676

>>5197197
Really good disadvantages to pick are forbidden armor types like leather and chain, because plate is way better, and low level materials like iron and steel, because you'll use high level materials later, and dwarven, because it's rare as hell and there's so much better stuff. If you're a High Elf, you can also choose critical weakness: paralysis and nothing will happen, because your racial bonus against paralysis will override your class weakness, but you'll gain a ton of useful disadvantage points.

>> No.5198360

Cool a Daggerfall thread. I've never played it but I'm enjoying Morrowind (despite its flaws) to the extent that the idea of wandering round a giant Elder Scrolls world using my imagination a bit seems quite appealing. Please can someone answer the following -

1. Are there "random encounters" with hostiles outside of designated dungeon areas. For example suppose I decide to ride from City A to City B, will i meet orcs and whatnot on the way

2. Can you even travel from city to city without "fast travel"

3. Morrowind suffers from having what I call "identikit" characters and dialogue. Is Daggerfall more like this, or less.

>> No.5199580

>>5198360
1. No
2. No
3. Yes

Daggerfall sucks. Wait until you get about 20 hours in and you get a quest that says you have about 23343546 days to complete. It's entirely broken, the letter you need to find doesn't exist (or is in a part of the dungeon you cannot reach). And there are so many quests like this. Gay game for gaymers.

>> No.5199741

>>5199580
>2. No
You can travel from city to city without "fast travel", it just entails holding down the forward key for a long time while moving through repetitive wilderness areas.

>> No.5199904

>>5199741
No you can't. Outside each city is just endless random terrain.

>> No.5200379
File: 8 KB, 251x201, tes map design.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5191613
>What do I need to know
Unless you're roleplaying a bard or something, lower your points in Personality and put them into Strength or Intelligence. Speed is also very useful, if you are going to be a nord. You can make yourself more vulnerable to certain conditions to increase your exp. multiplier, with little actual cost. This will be playing on "easy mode," but if you're just playing for the first time, I recommend it. If you go with a predetermined class, a basic fighter or healer is alright, but none of the premade classes are really great unless you are looking for a challenge. (Legend Mode: Beat the game as a Bard.)

When you're in dungeons, try interacting with objects that just look like decoration - they will often open secret doors or teleport you. There is an inn somewhere that has free daedric equipment, if you feel like "cheating" you can bing it. Language skills are mostly useless, and should only be used for roleplaying purposes. Your level is based on your proficiency in your primary and secondary skills, so you might consider choosing the skills you're either going to use most, or the skills which you can easily level in between quests - A common technique is to make acrobatics a primary or secondary and train it by running around and jumping all the time.

Buying a cart costs less than a horse, but you still get a horse. However, you don't get the fast travel benefits of owning a horse if you only have a cart (I might be wrong, it's been a while since I've played vidya). Be careful where you sleep, you can unwittingly get in trouble for vagrancy even if, logically, the place you are sleeping should be fine. For example, sleeping on a balcony is just as illegal as sleeping in front of a bank.

Speaking of banks, your credit and political stance is region dependent, which means you can rob and scam your way to riches in one area and flee to another province - This can cause problems though, if you ever need to go back.

>> No.5200403

>>5200379
Continuing because of character limit.

I think your standing with nobility can get you out of the troubles crime causes you. I can't remember exactly how reputation works, but after character creation you have a base standing with Nobles and Commoners, and I think some guilds will be more predisposed to liking you or hating your guts. As you do quests for nobles or guilds, you reputation goes up with the specific NPC you are helping, and then there are effects on your standing with other NPCs and factions. It's one of the most interesting parts of the game, you can read more about it here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Reputation

That's about it, I could go on for hours but I think I hit all the main points. Read up on the spellmaker system if you plan on using magic, like reputation it's a bit complicated and I can't remember exactly how it works - My last character was in the mage's guild but I ran into a problem where I couldn't complete any of the quests do to targets being inaccessible (this is the most frustrating part of the game, and the main reason I can't wait for Daggerfall Unity to be completed). If you are going to join the Dark Brotherhood, I'd recommend using a quest guide since the mechanics for the quest to get in are a little wonky - It's more straightforward after that. Fighter's guild is very straightforward, a lot of the religious sects are also pretty easy to understand. Get a target, kill/retrieve the target, that kind of thing. I've never done any of the Daedric quests and haven't gotten far in the main quest, but the main quest dungeons are by far the best dungeons of any Elder Scrolls game. The plot, the scope, the roleplaying and replayability - If it weren't for the bugs and a couple of balance issues, it would be the greatest game ever made. Howard took it in the wrong direction with Morrowind IMO. Again, can't wait for Daggerfall Unity to come out so that we finally have a fully playable, bug-free version.

>> No.5200410

>>5198360
1. Yes, but they are rare.
2. Yes.
3. Not sure what you mean exactly, there are literally thousands of NPCs so a lot of them are pretty generic - a lot like real life.

>> No.5200415

>>5199904
You're thinking of Arena. Here's proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQfpBHBxNw

>> No.5200641

>>5200379
Do you have autism?

>> No.5200758

>>5197665
Very well said. I've been saying the exact same thing for years.

>> No.5200761

>>5192347
And Morrowind is all the better for it.

>> No.5200802
File: 50 KB, 434x345, perfect.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5200761

>> No.5200804

>>5200761
I guess running into one cliffracer after another adds to the experience.

>> No.5201027
File: 38 KB, 640x400, daggerfall automap.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5191613
Bump for interest. You boot up the game yet OP? The dungeons can be tricky to navigate - best to just ignore the automap feature, honestly.

>> No.5201048
File: 2.88 MB, 640x400, privateers_hold_fast.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5200379
>Be careful where you sleep, you can unwittingly get in trouble for vagrancy
I always hated this. If it's illegal to sleep there, why shouldn't the game just default to loitering? Nobody will ever choose to actually sleep in the middle of the street, knowing that you will automatically awaken, with no healing, and be surrounded by enemies. All it does is punish you for accidentally clicking the wrong option. An option that doesn't even need to be an option.
>>5200403
In regards to crime, I think it's worth noting for new players that you won't get any bad reputation if you are never *caught* by a guard. Even if you commit a crime, and guards are chasing you, and yelling HALTHALTHALT, you still don't have a bad rep yet. It's only when they *catch* you that your crimes become known. And this occurs when the guard successfully hits you with his attack. At that point, the arrest window pops up, and that is the point when you get your reputation.

So, even if you're running around slaughtering peasants and picking pockets, as long as you get out of town before any guard successfully hits you, you will get away with it, and your reputation will stay the same.
>>5201027
I've always hated the map too, all it ever does is confuse me. Everyone is just better off using a system of exploring (like following a specific wall) and understanding when a "module" ends and meets another "module".

>> No.5201057

>>5201048
Patrician webm. I'm really tempted to start playing again, god it's so hard to wait but I don't want to break my "no-game" streak until the Unity release.

>> No.5201197
File: 1.95 MB, 250x250, riker.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5200379
>you can bing it

>> No.5202465

>>5193328
You’re retarded. Morrowind>fallout nv>fallout3>daggerfall>oblivion>skyrim

>> No.5202525

>>5202465
Morrowind is the worst of the series, and the downfall of The Elder Scrolls. Oblivion and Skyrim are just slightly better versions of the same mold that Howard created with Morrowind. Arena and Daggerfall are much, much greater games, both in concept and in how fun they are to play.

>> No.5204959

>>5191613
Is that the one where running is a skill? If so, don't run around every damn where. I played an early TES and I didn't know what to do, so I just ran around in broke into peoples houses. I kept leveling up while doing it so eventually when I figured out where to go and what to do everything was far too powerful for me to fight properly.

I can outrun the fuck out of it and steal like a motherfucker, though.

>> No.5205281

>>5201048
>In regards to crime, I think it's worth noting for new players that you won't get any bad reputation if you are never *caught* by a guard. Even if you commit a crime, and guards are chasing you, and yelling HALTHALTHALT, you still don't have a bad rep yet. It's only when they *catch* you that your crimes become known. And this occurs when the guard successfully hits you with his attack. At that point, the arrest window pops up, and that is the point when you get your reputation.

This also creates the situation where the player can acquire particular immunities through being a werewolf or vampire and cannot actually be hit by the guards, leaving them free to commit their dream crime spree with no penalties.

>> No.5205961
File: 315 KB, 544x361, Dornboy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5193319
>>5193328
>>5195009
>>5202465
>not including the obviously superior Fallout 2

>> No.5205965

>>5193389
EVERY PLANET UNIQUE

>> No.5206143
File: 648 KB, 1064x3386, TES Dungeons 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5200379

>> No.5208078

I really wish theyd made wilderness something worth going through. Deleted this pos when I had to fast travel.

>> No.5208091

>>5196484
I-is it ready?

>> No.5208105
File: 370 KB, 1360x768, comfy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5208091
Sort of, but also not really. The vast majority of the game is there, playable, but there's still a slew of little things yet to be implemented like potions, daedra summoning, the ghosts in Daggerfall city at night, etc.
It's worth playing around for a little while just to experience Daggerfall in higher resolutions and increased draw distance, but for actual playthroughs or anything I wouldn't play it over the original game.
1.0 release doesn't seem terribly far off, though.

>> No.5208210

>>5194471
As much as I love daggerfall, this is kinda true. If you've played Morrowind, Oblivion or Skyrim, than you've probably read all the books. Daggerfall has more books than the others, including the original lusty argonian maid. Fast travel has been a thing since arena. All major cities are not procedurally generated. Once you've been to a city, town, dungeon that is procedurally generated, it becomes static. All major dungeons are not procedurally generated. Traveling without fast travel is possible, but due to the size it you it would take real days to travel from town to town. There is a major storyline that can be influenced by your political offiliation, depending on what royal family you decide to work for. You don't have to do the main quest and it can become unbeatable if you choose to not play it. Quests are "radiant" in a way. Main quests are not. There are numerous factions and guilds. You can become a vampire, a werewolf and werebore. Diseases are real. Magic is fucking awesome. This game has one of the best character creation menus ever made. Weapons are meh. Dungeons are one of my favorite, but also the most frustrating part of this game. They can be short and sweet or the most convoluted nightmare you ever tried to decipher. You can buy a house, a ship a horse and a cart. Stealing in this game absolutely blows, but can be done. Good luck.

>> No.5208219

>>5198360
Yes you will encounter enemies in the wild, not too often immediately outside of towns, but it can happen

Yes you can travel from City to city without fast travel, it's not recommended

Even more so

>> No.5208324

>>5191613
SAVE A LOT! So many bugs that can fuck you over if you don't have enough save backups!
BTW I love the game. I think it's flawed but good.

>> No.5210128

>>5206143
yikes. Imagine have a dungeon so big without any meaningful landmarks. Look at that thing. It's probably not even halfway explored. Some of those daggerfall dungeons were insanely huge, for no reason.

>> No.5212407

>>5193389
this and the first dungeon are the only ones even remotely this interesting and even then its a fucking box with 200 empty identical houses