[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 88 KB, 800x616, MiSTer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5188378 No.5188378 [Reply] [Original]

thoughts on the MiSTer FPGA system?

>> No.5188394

It has a lot of potential, but for now is crap worse than software emulation.

>> No.5188493

>>5188378
Recreating the original consoles on FPGAs seems like a really great idea from a conservation perspective. But the basic problem remains that there's still too much unknown about the original hardware to recreate it accurately, regardless of whether you do so in hardware or software.

>> No.5188548

>>5188394
I basically agree with this, though some of the arcade cores are better than MAME now.

I wouldn't bother with it for mainstream consoles that already have good software emulators, but I could see it becoming a really great platform for more obscure systems. It's also progressing really quickly right now, so yeah, pretty exciting.

>> No.5189231

I wouldn't bother with it right now except for the early arcade games and support for less common platforms. If you're just sticking to 8- and 16-bit systems from Nintendo and Sega, there are better alternatives.

That said, it looks like it'll be really promising in the long term. I prefer the original hardware experience (largely for sentimental reasons), but this could really be a tempting option in the future.

>> No.5189238
File: 23 KB, 350x250, 132zls.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I look forward to it becoming something cohesive and realiable.

>> No.5189245

Going to get one for the arcade cores in a month or so. I want to see how close to original arcade display refresh rates and input latency I can get with the classics it plays.