[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 171 KB, 1920x1200, quake 2 logo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
518357 No.518357 [Reply] [Original]

Quake thread. Let's discuss what makes Quake so awesome. Favorite maps, favorite weapons, most hated enemies, all Quake discussion welcome here.

>> No.518719

Fact of the matter.

Quake 3 / Live > Quake 1 >>>>> Quake 2

Single player is for pussies.

>> No.518824
File: 95 KB, 431x551, alice makes a doll uncomfortable.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>518719
>calling out single-player players before anyone has even said anything

And this is why Quake threads die before 100 posts, because "esports" retards drive everyone off with their inane bitching.

>> No.518857

>>518824

That's where the heart of Quake is. The single player was fine, I even loved Quake 2 single player campaign. It's just a dumb little sideshow next to the real game though.

>> No.518912

>>518857
No that's where Quake 3 fantards think it is, same reason why the original Unreal never gets discussed despite being a great game.

>> No.519091

>>518719
>Quake Live on the same level as 3
>not being on the bottom
>inb4 THEYYRRRRE DA SAME
No they're not, they have completely different physics and health values.

>> No.519161

>>518719
I have only ever played the quake games in singleplayer.

They're still great games, deal with it.

>> No.519204

Man, quake brings back memories

I remember when i used to play it on my dads computer.

>tfw i'm 21 and listen to my friends talk about how awesome he is at halo
>tfw i just lament the death of the classic video game

Seriously, imagine if Rocketjumping happened today. We'd have id going all apple on us and having the system break every time we do it.

>> No.519205

>>518719
>the only available way to play the game really is for pussies
Good one.

Also let me fix that for you.
QW > Q3 > NQ > Q2 >>>> QL

>> No.519228

>>518912
Unreal never gets discussed because the unreals entire fanbase for the most part started with UT99 as they all played on elementary or highschool computers.
Add onto that, that unreal is fairly bitchy about playing on modern hardware. Add onto that, the fact that it wasn't really all that good. The same reason that while Unreal 2 had some interesting weapons it was ultimately a piss poor game.

>> No.519236

Man, why can't we all get along? Quake is fun no matter how you chose to play. Blowing bowls of spaghetti into some fucktard's chest with a super shotgun? RADICAL!

Evading those guys that yell TRESSPASSAH at you while you desperately search for some ammo to take em down? GNARLY!

Stop shitting over each other because your tastes are different, that's not what this board is about. If you want to bitch and complain like i'm doing right now, head back to some other board. This one is supposed to be CLASSY. That's why we play CLASSIC games, godfuckingdammit.

>>518824

This. Only decent person in the fucking thread.

>> No.519291

I fucking love retro quake. All of them, but honestly, quake 1 is unmatched in atmosphere, music, gameplay... going from a castlekeep filled with demons and zombies, to a base under the earth with soldiers armed with blasters and rottweilers with that N.I.N. tunes.... god that is AMAZING.

>> No.519324

>>519236
>Evading those guys that yell TRESSPASSAH at you while you desperately search for some ammo to take em down? GNARLY!
Honestly, I kind of find it tedious really, the slow as fuck weapon switch speed that discourages weapon switching, the low rate of enemy encounter most of the time, the low speed of the weapons.
I swear sometimes it feels like playing an RPG with an active time battle system than an FPS. At least you can move well.

>> No.519348

When I play Quake's singleplayer, it just makes me wish I was playing Doom.

Conversely, when I play Doom's multiplayer, it makes me wish I was playing Quake.

Quake was definitely designed to be a a multiplayer game first and foremost. That's why QTEST was all deathmatch maps. Singleplayer's fun too, but there's a reason it gets overshadowed by Doom.

>> No.519357

>most hated enemies

Vores and spawns are surely two of the most diabolical things to ever come out of id software. Last couple of levels of the last episode on Nightmare really reveals their true evilness.

fav map might be Wizard's Manse, but I have a few contenders I guess. The Scourge of Armagon mission pack really kicked ass too. For usermade things some of the ancient episodes are still firm favorites with me - Insomnia, Penumbra of Domination and Zerstorer especially.

>> No.519369

>>519324
I know this gets said in every Quake thread, but I agree the enemy encounters are a bit underwhelming. Doom is just insane with all the hordes of enemies it throws at you constantly... In Quake, you almost never have to fight more than about three enemies at a time.

>> No.519423

>>519369
Well, I meant specifically in Q2. In Q1 yeah it's kind of the same but you switch enemies and move so fast and dynamically that you can just just fly through them and chew them up, plus there's traps. But the enemy amount you fight will typically be fairly low. Though they could offset that by giving you the shaft and SNG far earlier in the game and loads of ammos while throwing loads of guys at you, thereby forcing you to use them instead of shotguns, or just blowing shit away with GL/RL. You won't get that with default levels and have to go find custom levels though to find something with a suitable balance. A lot of them don't. Especially if they're older maps which don't really consider how good players can get or have gotten.

>> No.519432

>>519357
>Vores and spawns are surely two of the most diabolical things to ever come out of id software.
Oh yeah well let me tell you something punk... I agree. Spawns are easy enough if you catch them early though, but if you don't they're there, it's fucking annoying as fuck.

>> No.519435
File: 132 KB, 492x462, 1344198651002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love Quake, I'm here in the DOOM threads most of the time but I really did like Quakes singleplayer (or 2 and 3's multiplaer bots back in the day when I was in school).

I just always like the singpleplayer games of that (same reason I like doom). You have a map and you go around it navigating obstacles, solving puzzles, collecting items and getting into big shootouts before getting into the next map and doing it in a new way on a new map with a new environment and cool new music.

The e-sports (or MLG whatever) guys do make me roll my eyes though, same reason that purist dickheads in DooM threads piss me off.

Were the Quake mission packs any good?
I hear one was amazing while the other was a turd in a microwave.

>> No.519440

>>519423
>I meant specifically in Q2
I was talking about both games. Quake 2 is a little better, it has larger encounters than Q1, but it's still nowhere near Doom's level.

>> No.519468

>>519435
Scourge of Armagon is awesome.

Dissolution of Eternity is okay.

Ground Zero was pretty bad, but gave us a few new things to play with in multiplayer (a nailgun in Quake 2? Yes please!)

Haven't played The Reckoning, it always crashes for some reason. I should probably try playing it in a source port or something.

>> No.519469

>>519435
>Were the Quake mission packs any good?

Scourge of Armagon is good, Dissolution of Eternity is by far the weaker of the two, but personally I wouldn't say it was actual shit. I'm pretty sure you can get both at emuparadise if you want to try them.

>> No.519471

>>518912

The first Unreal is a tedious gallery. It's like Quake only stupider and slower.

>>519091

THEYYRRRRE DA SAME.

I've played Quake 3 since it came out. In certain periods, quite intensively. Sure, there's differences, most notably in the lowered rail and rocket damage. Here's the thing fucko -- they're steps in the right direction. Rail and Rocket were overpowered at first to make up for the difficulty of use under higher lag values. Live turns the pace down a slightest notch and makes survivability slightly easier. This only means you have to be a better player to kill the other guy.

Essentially though, they're the same fucking game. Rail and rocket damage and slightly easier strafe jumping. Big fucking difference. Stop this bullshit, it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

>> No.519549

>>519471
>They're different but they're the same
>turns the pace down
>easier strafe jumping
That's what makes it the worse.
>inb4 you call me a tryhard mlgfag
>Single player is for pussies.
If your going to call people out on being too "pussy" to play multiplayer then be prepared to play the game with the most "hardcore" multiplayer and hate the easiest one.

>> No.519653

>>519369

Although I can't finish HR or Deus Vult, I can play a lot of DooM slaughter maps and I still find Quake can give a challenge if on Nightmare. There's no spectacular monster swarms or slaughter type gameplay though. I seem to remember there was a big fight at the end of the Marcher Fortress, but can't really think of anything else. I don't mind the style of gameplay as long as there's a challenge to be had in it though. If you find things too easy try something like Coven of Ebony, it still busts my nuts even now.

>> No.520305

>>519549
>turns the pace down
Easier and faster strafe jumping make it better not worse.
The pacing is so/so. The game moves around a tad faster, but the weapons are balanced worse slowing down the pace for combat. Combined with the faulty as fuck hitreg which is really the worst part of it all.

>> No.521618
File: 149 KB, 800x800, 1362682984594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>518357
Thinking of playing this through on nightmare, without savescumming to give this masterpiece the treatment it deserves.

Is it worth getting the expansions? What is the best sourceport to use.

>> No.521709

>>519161
Are the quake expansions any good?

>> No.521719

>>519357
No love for Dissolution of Eternity?

>> No.521748

i don;t really see the difference tbh quake is just 3d doom with less guns and more traps i don't see why they didn't just call it doom 3 it has the same basic premise.
i mean quake has more similarities to doom then it does to quake 2 that's for sure

>> No.521752

>>521618
Expansions are pretty good. They're a bit more complex than the original levels and add a few new features like extra weapons and multiple ammo types (in the second expack).

>> No.521757
File: 57 KB, 413x357, Mark CGRHD.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

q2dm1 is best map of all games

>> No.521885

>>521757
No it isn't. It's a fairly shitty map actually. Especially for Q2. Trickjumping doesn't just help, it's required to be able to get jack shit out of the map. The flow is pretty shit though.

>> No.522048

>>521748
Reading your posts is just painful i mean seriously how can someone read through this and not think that this is terrible and something is wrong all the run on sentences for god sakes its almost like you typed this out while you were high on concaine but seriously fix your style because this shit is just bad and nobody is going to take your points seriously

>> No.522879

Apart from some Quake 3 which I've started to get into this month and some quake live I never really played any Quake. My whole Video Game experience throughout the years has been Sega Genesis, PS1, PS2, x360 and now the PC, so I hardly played any games on this board.

My question is why everyone hates Quake 2 that much? I'm mostly playing Quake 3 for the multiplayer now but wanted to try out some single player and all I hear is how bad Q2 is.

>> No.523729

>>522879
>why everyone hates Quake 2 that much?

The movement speed, mostly. People also hate that it has some semblance of balance; that rockets aren't as god tier as they are in 1 and 3.

>> No.523762

>>522879
I can only speak from limited experience myself, having only played the single player, but personally, I hated it because it was incredibly repetitive, generally boring in level design, and had weapons which felt much less satisfying and fun to use than those from Q1 or Q3.

>> No.523770

>>523762
I disagree. The machine gun, with its climb, satisfying thud, and and cool death animations, was miles ahead of anything in Quake.

The problem was that the sci-fi setting was just boring compared to Quake's indescribably weird setting.

>> No.523776

>>521719

Eternity's good, not as good as Scourge though. Multi-grenades, Wraths and Overlord were pretty cool to me, and there were enough well designed levels to make it worth playing. I don't know why people dump on DoE so much; I guess the first pack was a tough one to follow.

>> No.523815

>>523770
here's what I think about rapid fire weapons:

Q3 Machinegun < Q2 Machinegun <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Q1 Nailgun

>> No.523808

>>523770
>sci-fi setting was just boring compared to Quake's indescribably weird setting.

Sounds silly, but that was actually a big thing for me, aside from the actual mechanics of the game. You'd think it would be enough to just construct a passable setting for an FPS game and then focus on developing the gameplay, but I think I must've fallen in love with Quake 1's aesthetic and only realized as much when Quake 2 came along.

>> No.524489

>>523815

Who the fuck would compare those weapons?
If you want to compare rapid fire weapons from Q1, Q2 and Q3, then compare Super Nailgun with HyperBlaster and Plasma Gun.

Captcha: sacrilege seeoowe

>> No.524627

What are some Quake levels you can do really fast?

I can do E2m1 in 13 seconds, though I guess that's not much of an accomplishment.

>> No.524716

>>524627
watch qdqwav

>> No.525356

>>523815
Wait hold the fuck on.
Q1 Nailgun as the worst? It felt fucking awesome to use. It felt powerful.
Q2 Machine gun felt like a fucking downgrade from the SSG you got earlier.
Q3 MG is the fucking default weapon so it's purposefully underpowered (Though that doesn't mean you can't stand a chance with it.)

So yeah, fuck your opinions.

>> No.525401
File: 25 KB, 500x544, greaterlessthan.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>525356

>> No.525426

>Let's discuss what makes Quake so awesome
Nine Inch Nails
I love everything about the Quake games (especially the multiplayer), but NIN seals the deal so hard.

>> No.525504

so.. still nobody wants to play online?
come on, what's so scary about a little lag? when we played this in the nineties we did it by modem dial-up!

The only difference between quake and doom fans here in /vr/, is that the doom guys actually play the game.

>> No.525535

>>525504
You mean the minecraft/leddit threads? Where half of the thread is autists making maps and shit, and the other half is people fresh from leddit gushing about how they're "nostalgian' so hard".

>> No.525594

>>525535
that's all true, but their servers have people playing almost every night. Or if they're empty, other people eventually join when they see someone is in. I've entered the quakeworld server posted in the previous threads and it's empty all the time.

>> No.525629

What's the server/client to use nowadays if you want to play mods or mission packs with new content? I remember quakeworld wasn't compatible with that, so you had to use winquake to play them.

>> No.525838

>>525535
Well if that's how you feel, guess I'm gonna stop browsing this thread.
Let's time and see how quickly you can kill Quake on /vr/
sage for not quake-related.

>> No.526120

>>525838
They really do need to die.

>Guys! There's no Quake thread! Let's talk about Quake!
>What do you want to talk about?
>I don't know! Umm... what's a good client?!
>So you know you need a client, but you can't find one?
>I'm lonely

Rinse and repeat until 404

>> No.526225
File: 245 KB, 1200x781, shambviag_low.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I fucking love Quake!

This guy right here is my nigger!

>> No.526631

>>522879
I personally love Quake 2 more than any other one is the series. It is hard to give reasons of preference without using opinions, so just remember, this is coming from me. The gameplay was fast paced and challenging, the music was the best damned music to bless quake, had varied enemies with each having a special attribute making them unique, balanced weapons, a lengthy singleplayer filled with secrets buh muh wallhump , and a graphical kick that knocked me out of my briefs! The multiplayer was also god-tier, extremely fast paced and well thought out.

To each their own, though. Everyone reserves the right to decide if its good or if its bad.

>> No.526675

>>525504
Fuck yeah, I will play with you! Give me server IP.
Its been a few years, I know I am rusty, any good server browsers?

>> No.527556

>>526675
don't know about browsers, nor do I know about good servers. But here's an IP:
quakeworld.co.uk:27500

>> No.529035

>>518719
If you're going to be esport about it then quakeworld absolutely fucking shits all over quak3/live.

Good luck playing it without at least a 140hz lcd or better yet a 150hz+ CRT.

>> No.529443

>>525504
>come on, what's so scary about a little lag? when we played this in the nineties we did it by modem dial-up!
It's not an issue of scary it's an issue of being shit in a more competitive environment which multiplayer is these days. It's also an issue of being used to lag compensation and low ping environments to the point that it fucks with your play. Going from aiming accurately to having to unlearn muscle memory and actively 'miss' things with netcode that requires it is not only a pain in the ass but kind of unfun. Though it differs for each quake. Quakeworld has decent client side prediction in ports, but it still lags actual shots and the movement and gameplay it's fairly hostile to anyone who isn't playing aggressively or has a low ping because it pretty much relies on speed and reflexes at top tier levels. Having higher than 60ms ping is often high enough to make it damn near impossible to hit people you otherwise would by reaction alone. Though it's not as significant at lower levels of play.
Q3, requires leading closer to Q2. But it's a bit more generous due to the weapon speed and switching speed, not as generous as QW is, but far better than Q2 which is just a pain in the ass all around.

>> No.529478

>>529443
I think we would be best off playing Quake mods and ports.

Paintball works well with any kind of lag. I used to play it at 400ms ping over dial up. It's also nub friendly, so anyone can pick it up and play.

>> No.529773

Anyone here want to play some Quake 3 Arena with a noob right now through Gameranger?

I'm waiting. Also teamspeak would be nice too.

>> No.532043

Rescued from page 8, Quake needs more love in /vr/

>> No.532567

>>518824
This. Just try to ignore fucktards like the one who posted that though. Actually acknowledging them is counterproductive.

>> No.532583

>>527556
What modern source port would work best for this?

Does it rotate the classic 6? I want to relive the old days....

>> No.535983

>>529443
that's ok if you're really competitive-minded, but I thought the idea here was just having some fun playing q1 again. Having to compensate for lag, etc., was part of the game back then..
>>532583
the classic maps do seem to be in this server. Actually it has a voting system in place to choose the levels, not the old-school "rotating playlist".
I don't use a "modern" source port (I use qw262, it looks like the original quakeworld client with some modifications) but any multiplayer-enabled port should do it I guess

>> No.536353

>>535983
>that's ok if you're really competitive-minded, but I thought the idea here was just having some fun playing q1 again. Having to compensate for lag, etc., was part of the game back then..
Playing with keyboard only was part of the game for most people for doom back in the day, would you also suggest that they give up wasd/mouse. This is the point I'm making and you're missing. It's not an issue of competitiveness though it blows up huge in that respect. It's an issue of comfort and enjoyment. I like playing FPS games, but I don't like them being shit and what was once a necessity and even a point of skill in it's own right is backwards and enjoyable for those who have long since progressed past that or those who have never known it (and could even find it more frustrating because they'd have a harder time recognizing what the fuck is going on and can't counteract it properly like old players can).
At least for some client ports it's helps to a degree.

>> No.536360

>>536353
>backwards and unenjoyable
fix'd

>> No.537803

>>529773
here
Anyone? I'm available atm so it would be great.

>> No.537813

>>518824
Too much this.
Arena shooters are dead because no one wants to get into them, seeing how elitist the existing fans have become.

>> No.537815

>>537803
If you're playng Q3A 1.32 vanilla, I could jump on a server, you have gameranger you might do better finding one.
I could teamspeak I suppose, server is your call yet again.

>> No.537825

>>537815
I can make a gameranger server and yes I'm playing 1.32 vanilla. I know no teamspeak servers so I just threw that out there as a bonus for anyoen that has one and wants to use it.

I'll go ahead and make a game then. Name's SirSangi. Pass vidya.

>> No.537856

>>537825
I don't have gameranger, I assume I can find it in the master server list?

>> No.537867

>>537856
Gameranger creates a virtual LAN, kinda like tunngle, so no,you won't.

It's free and fast to install though, not to mention it has shitloasd of peopel playing stuff like Age of Empries and Red Alert 2 so it's pretty cool.

>> No.537872

>>537867
I don't really want to install gameranger for a single game of quake that I'll pretty much never use again. I do have Hamachi if you have that.

>> No.537870

>>537867
It also has a ridiculous amount of people playing Yu-Gi-Oh! Power of Chaos: Joey the Passion. I really don't udnerstand.

>> No.537878

>>537872
Alright then. I don't have hamachi as Gameranger does the job for me anyway and it's much simpler to use.

>> No.537879
File: 22 KB, 354x247, god will punish us.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>537872
Where do these paranoid "i don't want to install x" people spawn from?

>> No.537904
File: 27 KB, 360x421, 1346130397475.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>537879
It's not a paranoid anything, it's just a bother and it's just cluttering shit up at that rate for something I won't use.

>> No.537907

>>537872
Hamachi no longer works for multiplayer LAN. I don't know how many times I've had to say this on /vr/ now, but I've lost count.
Yes it did work *once*. They fucked with the protocol and broke it for vidya recently though.

>> No.537914

>>537878
Try jumping on 96.233.61.208

>> No.537936

>>537914

I'll try to join.

>> No.537949

>>537914

Can't get to join this server...

>> No.537956

>>537949
it's down now, looking for another in west europe.

>> No.537965

>>537956

Maybe this one 85.214.233.109:27960 . I'm on it, waiting for Quakers. I hooked my CRT on my laptop just for this man.

>> No.537969

>>537956
Man this is a royal pain. I wish I still had Kali, finding servers would be easy as fuck.

>> No.538000

>>525401

I'm dying here.

>> No.538019
File: 172 KB, 1920x1080, shot0000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>537965
This is disheartening.

>> No.538260

Bumping, no one else want to join the server?

>> No.538434

Quake 2 had the MP

Quake 4 had the best SP

Quake 3 Arena was a tech demo that took the worse parts of Quake 1 and 2 MP.

Quake 1 started the franchise and single-handily introduced TCP/IP MP gaming to the masses. IPX finally kicked the bucket.

>> No.538621

>>538434

Well I liked all the Quakes except the 4th. Also, still no one else to join us at 85.214.233.109:27960 ?

>> No.538827
File: 1.10 MB, 1024x768, Quake3 2013-04-25 09-19-06-79.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>538434
4th SP sucked and it's multi was broken. It the netcode wasn't the multi would have been maybe decent.

>> No.538832

>>538827
Also, yeah QW had the best MP and Q3 followed that. Q2 had the worst MP, and the second best SP.

>> No.538884

>>518357
>what makes Quake so awesome
Dark ambient soundtract provided by NIN? Check.
Cthulu Mythos inspired elder gods as ultimate bosses? Check.
iD Soft FPS where you can actually jump and look around? Check.
Secrets from the very level-select entrance chamber? Check.
A fucking axe as a weapon? Check.
This game really has it all. At the time it came out it blew all the competitiion out of the water and it still easily holds up today.

>Princess Sevenleaf
>Princess
If you're really a female then that is so hot. I need to find a girl that enjoys Quake. Holy crap.

>> No.538907
File: 24 KB, 494x586, Image1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I love the add-on models that were released for Quake II. Pic related.

>> No.538950

>>538907
What's that, the female multiplayer character?

>> No.538951

>>538884

Development focused on Engine? Check.
Designers given middle finger by coders? Check.
Doom weapons slapped on a tech demo? Check.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq__3XNvvHI

It could have been even more glorius and never allowed spoonfeeding FPS from existing?

...probably.

>> No.539016

>>538950
It's the Purgatori model/skin. There are still sites that have her available, to my surprise.

>> No.539068

>>539063
Um OK. To you, maybe.

>> No.539063

>>538884
>soundtrack
Oh piss off. The soundtrack was as forgettable as forgettable can get.

>> No.539296

>>521757
DM-Deck16][ is much better.

>> No.539331

>>539063

>lacking this much taste

>> No.539847

Anyonekn ow where I can download a complete pack of Quake 2 maps for Quake 3?

>> No.539927

>>539063
Most ambient music isn't really memorable per say. But it was great industrial ambient, but it wasn't 'zomg best vidya music ever.' It was pretty much purely functional.

>> No.539952
File: 15 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>539063
>Quake 1 soundtrack
>forgettable

What, did it not have enough wobble bass or something?

>> No.539987

>>539952
He's not really wrong. Hum the melody to one of the songs right now... yeah no one remembers that shit, it's noise. Fucking great noises, but still. Yeah no, dadadadaaa aaaaahhhh doesn't count. Do the whole song, yeah now you're all uuuuuuugggghhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnggggggggggg wwwwhiirrrrr uuunnnnnnn rrrrrreeeeeerrrrnnnnnnnn.....

>> No.540002
File: 30 KB, 521x592, 1312481997306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>539987

>> No.540072

>>539847
Guys. Guys please. I've been looking everywhere and I need it.

>> No.540115

Fun fact: I got bored and ripped the one Quake track where the voices are speaking backwards. All i could get is "You can talk too long, you can talk too much."

Whoo.

>> No.540120

>>539987
It goes something like
duuuuhn dumubuuuduhhhn dudududuuuhn pdgdhhhggdn dddudududu dudududu dhhhndhghnd

ddddhhhng gghhnndddnnng ghdgngngngdgn ggggnhghdn dgdghngh gggghhhndghndghnnnhgn

Then it's some alterations of dggggnghhhnghdn dgggdgdghngn ddgnggngh looping with the first two parts repeating.

>> No.540272

>>539987
If you can't hum this, you might actually be musically retarded.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1kSNn0qI0

>> No.540320

>>540272
You're kidding me, right?

Also, drop the retarded trip. This isn't /mu/

>> No.540338

>>540272
>musically retarded

I want /mu/ to leave.

>> No.540604

>>538434
yeah no, quake 1 had the best SP and MP

keep being a pleb though

>> No.540663

www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_J0X0IolWM&hd=1

>> No.540694

>>540604

Q4's single player is brilliant though; if it wasn't for whatever x-factor Quake 1 holds for me I would put Q4 on top too. DoE has to have the worst fucking boss though. I played through on Nightmare, so maybe it's a different story on other settings, but it seems to me the Dragon just blasts you to bits unless you exploit its AI by keeping close to it. I haven't played the Q2 expansions though, and I hear the Black Widow is an absolute nightmare.

>> No.541697

>>540338
/mu/ is great. I spend all my time there and here. The people here are nicer though.

>> No.541738

Quake 2 fucking rocks!

One of the best game ever.

>> No.543621

>>540694
Q4s singleplayer sucked.
The weapons mostly blew, the encounters blew, linear as fuck with very poor level design and poor pacing.

>> No.545281

>>540663
Why is he running with an axe most of the time?

>> No.545301

>>538434
nice ruse, goodbye

>> No.545452
File: 285 KB, 455x640, 1753878-dissolutionwrath.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, whether or not you liked Dissolution of Eternity, can we at least agree that the new enemies were all very out of place?

Egyptian warriors, cloaked wizards, enchanted swords, and a dragon?

It was the kind of vanilla fantasy that would have fit perfectly in a Heretic or Hexen game, not Quake. Quake is less Tolkien, more Lovecraft.

>> No.545905

Hey anons, I'd like to frag on Quake 3. Is there someone who want to play?
I'm waiting on a server which address is:
> 85.214.233.109:27960
If you want some frags, don't hesitate to join!

>> No.545942

>>518719
Is the dislike for Quake 2 just bandwagon hate?

I can understand why someone may not like the singleplayer but the multiplayer is fucking great.

>> No.546138

>>545942

Yes it is. It was fucking great, it's still fucking great, and was one of the most played game over the Internet before Quake 3 came out. People hate it because of the SP and ignore the MP.

>> No.546158

>>545452
Quake was suppose to have a dragon swooping down as a random encounter but it wasn't in the final product.

It was probably for the best, though.

>> No.546174

>>545452
Actually, Quake is a lot of things. Not just Lovecraft.

The devs didn't decide what the game was about and that's why it's so weird.

>> No.546317

>>545452

Wraths and Overlords worked for me - I suppose they still had a dark occult feel that could fit in with Quake. The animated swords and knight statues were cheesy and belonged in a haunted house imo. Dragon could've worked a lot better by being a lot bigger and by being some sort of warped thing. As it is the Dragon felt like fighting a slighty cute creature from a CGI cartoon that just so happened to be able to gib you in two or three shots. The Egyptian guardians and the Aztec themes did work for me as an expansion, but wouldn't have belonged as part of the original Quake, if that makes any sense at all.

>> No.546401

John Romero is handsome.

>> No.547141

quake was my first real multiplayer fps experience.

my friend had two computers at his place, we dragged them to the same room and managed to connect them with some kind of a rj45 type of a cable.

grinded dm6 for what must've been 10-12 hours straight 1v1. had massive tunnel vision and headache afterwards.

>> No.550906

So I literally just started playing Quake today. Any tips to git gud?

>> No.553101

>>550906
Play with bots. Play with other people who are starting out (IE me, through gameranger).

>> No.553117

>>550906
Look at people's config files. You'll want non-default keybindings and wider FOV.

>> No.553154
File: 266 KB, 454x501, Gladiator_2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it just me, or does it sound like the gladiator strogg from Quake II is screaming "Saw you retard!" or just "Retard!" when he spots you?

>> No.553206

>>553117

http://www.quaketerminus.com/quakebible/basics-config.htm

Retro-legend config!

>> No.553291

>>518357
i remember very clearly firing up the hardware accelerated version of quake on my new 3dfx card and gazing in awe at the clear pools of water. blew my fucking mind

>> No.553454

>>550906
I've been playing Quake multiplayer for a couple of weeks now. I'm not sure which Quake you're talking about, but you want to learn how to strafejump if you're playing Quake III/Quake Live. Oh, and be sure to watch what other players are doing from time to time. I've learned a lot of stuff just watching others and seeing how they play.

I play a lot of QW/Q3 now, they're fun, but I'm pretty awful at them compared to the people I normally play with.

>> No.553503

>>553154
Yeah, I remember that. Now I want to play this again.

>> No.553654
File: 217 KB, 633x639, viserys smiling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>553154
I never noticed that, gotta replay Q2 someday. It's kinda cool how this game sounds better than most of the generic sounding shit in games these days.
It's one aspect that is really not given enough attention compared to gfx.

>>553291
Oh wow yeah, I'm sure many others here knew this feel, also the first time we got to see colored lighting and breakable scenery.

>> No.553889

>>553291

>have pentium 133
>get voodoo 1 gfxcard
>launch glquake.exe
>get ~25 fps instead of previous ~15
>thisislikeperfectlysmooth!!!.png

>few years later
>mfw even 75 fps doesn't feel perfectly smooth anymore

>mfw 40 to 60 fps is considered perfectly fine by most people right now

>> No.554056

>>553889

For most people nowaday, they can't see the difference between a game running at 60 FPS et a game running above that framerate (mainly because of their screen).

>> No.554064

>>554056

Also, 25 fps is perfectly acceptable and is the framerate of most films since they introduced the sound in cinemas.

>> No.554074

>>554064
25fps is bullshit, just because we've been fed that for years, doesn't make it taste better. I hope you watched the Hobbit and experienced the new standard of awesomeness.

>> No.554085

>>554074

I didn't, I stopped to watch modern films since 2007. Also, I personally have no problem with the 25 FPS framerate.

>> No.554092

>>554064
>Also, 25 fps is perfectly acceptable
No it isn't.
>and is the framerate of most films since they introduced the sound in cinemas.
That's a fucking terrible thing, based on technological limits and cost cutting. It's horrible for cinematography though. It's why action scenes are so fucking shitty most of the time, because they have to be. You can't capture good action at that framerate, it doesn't happen. Everyone does camera tricks, angles and basically plays with shit fake action on screen.

>> No.554135
File: 645 KB, 800x1008, 1363718668458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Quake thread still up? Neat.

I'm a doomer myself but I still loved Quake (mostly play singleplayer because my net was too crap). Played Q1's singleplayer again a while back and it's just great to play, the music of the game is excellent too and reminds me quite a bit of the music of PSX doom or doom 64.

>> No.554161

>>554092

>No it isn't

It was in 1997, and they had screens that handled higher rates than our shitty LCD of today.

Also an action scene could be decent at 25 FPS. If it plays like shit fake action, maybe it's because THIS IS shit fake action.

>> No.554209

>>554161
It's fucking unplayable today and it looks like dogshit.

>> No.554404
File: 17 KB, 256x271, pb disgust.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>554209
>Quake is unplayable dogshit

>> No.554425

>>554074
>implying 48fps is awesome

I've watched Showscan, 48fps is still too slow.

>> No.554598 [DELETED] 

>>554209
gb2/v/
>>>/v/

>> No.557825

>>525426
Now imagine if Tool had done the soundtrack. IT would be Quake squared, bro.

>> No.560308

>>554404
>My own strawmen make me cry, hur dur.
Quake at 25 fps is fucking awful. Did I play it like that one time? Sure did, did I realize it was awful then, sure did. There's a reason people upgraded their hardware for higher framerates in games, because not having at least decent framerate is terrible. Having high framerate improves your ability to play well drastically. Flick shots on fast moving happen far more naturally and readily when you're not watching a fucking slideshow.
Also, especially with quake, your movement is dependent on the framerate as well. So not only as a matter of not bottlenecking a players ability, it's also a technical requirement for optimal play.