[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 247 KB, 632x1135, 0C741B65-1FF6-4C58-88E6-67FF4FFDA623.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5179551 No.5179551 [Reply] [Original]

Also, B team game thread

>> No.5179607

Limited Zero

That's about it. Stage and boss design isn't as strong as X1, but it's a fun romp. Not really what I would consider "wrong"

>> No.5179614

Limited Zero
HORRIBLE boss animations
Cluttered stages
One-time-use ride armors

>> No.5179678

>>5179551
Knowing Capcom and their sequels - it was probably a game full of recycled assets and gameplay with zero new ideas cobbled together poorly by a cheap team of noobs.

>> No.5179781

>>5179551
Nothing.

>> No.5179786

>>5179678
>zero new ideas
You're right, playing as Zero was a new idea at the time.

>> No.5179815

>>5179614
>Limited Zero
I assume the idea was to keep him special and powerful without having him be completely game breaking.
>HORRIBLE boss animations
I guess in all my time playing they game they've never jumped out at me as being any worse or better than the other two games. Sigma was particularly shitty, but apparently that was a late in development change due to a redesign
>Cluttered stages
How so? I appreciate some of the length and mini bosses given how very short some of X2's stages were (namely Ostrich and Crab)
>One-time-use ride armors
I'll give you that the ride armors were kinda worthless, but that is kind of the case in the other two games. They're novelty powerups, and the addition of the platforms and collectible chips tried to make them seem like something more but failed to deliver. Given the nature of the gameplay and relatively short length of platformer stages, I'm not sure what could've been done differently beyond leaving them as they were in 1 and 2.

>> No.5179876

For all the shit this game tried to fit in I can’t believe there was no secret Street Fighter move. I hope X9 happens so X can finally unlock all the Shoto moves and spinning kick across the screen.

>> No.5179882

>>5179876
Can you imagine some poor kid searching MMX3 high and low for a tatsu after MMX1 and 2 had shoto moves? The hours he must have lost.

>> No.5179938

>>5179815
>I assume the idea was to keep him special and powerful without having him be completely game breaking.
It would have been way cooler to unlock playing as Zero by beating the game and then giving him all his abilities from MMX2. It wouldn't matter that it breaks the game if you already beat the game once as X. It could even function as a sort of hard mode where the enemies are tougher or have new attacks to balance out Zero's extra power and abilities.

>> No.5179994

It has good things about it. For one, the air dash is actually organically useful, unlike in X2 where it barely helps you in normal gameplay. It's only good there for getting a couple power-ups.

It has an amazing intro stage with great music. On the whole, X3's music sucks, but there are some other good songs, like Volt Catfish.

It's the only X game where you kind of have options as to how you want to develop X, although this seems basically accidental. You can get every upgrade and the Golden Armor, or just one super upgrade. You can also scuttle Zero and get his sword. You can forego some upgrades including the buster, and then scuttle Zero to get sword + short-charge.

Doppler's fortress is, IMO, less of a chore to get through compared to X1+X2.

You can essentially tailor your playthrough to whichever bosses you want to fight at the end. So if I don't want to fight "Godkarmachine O Inary" (possibly the worst piece of Japanglish ever in a video game), I can destroy Bit and Byte. I can either fight Vile now or fight him later.

>> No.5180007

>>5179994
I don’t think “God-Karma-Chine O Inary” was a mistranslation accident.

>> No.5180010

>>5180007
I didn’t mean it was a mistranslation. It’s more like some Japanese guy said “I’m gonna smash a bunch of cool foreign words together, and it’s gonna make one big cool name!” but it just sounds shitty.

>> No.5180086

>>5179815
>Cluttered stages
Well let's see. There two bosses float in and out of the stages, so that means boss chambers that may be used, but mostly aren't. That takes us back to the ride armors, which introduce giant pancake platforms that the player may use (but may not). More superfluous components laying around. And then there's the pink capsules, which are optional, meaning that it's another room tacked on to the layout that has a menial or optional purposes. That's three things that X will use situationally, at best. The first game had none of these problems.
Another thing I thought of was the damn 10 second destruction sequence when you defeat a mini boss.
Thanks for addressing the other points, however those aren't so much justifications rather than a general analysis of my post.
I don't hate X3 or anything, it's just the "least good" of the SNES games, by far.

>> No.5180118
File: 23 KB, 220x307, bo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WHAT were they THINKING?

>> No.5180119

>>5180010
Metal Shark Player

>> No.5180230

Zero mode a major letdown, especially in retrospect after 4.

Levels are more tedious than 1 and 2, and they overdid the amount of upgrades, even though some are really cool.

Bosses are hit and miss

Despite all this the game is still very good.

>> No.5180291

>>5180118
This another one of those borderline retro games like Morrowind? This was a good game btw.

>> No.5181481

>>5179551
A lot of people seem to forget there was a psx/ saturn version of this.
That version got trashed by most mags, and rightfully so: reduced resolution compared to snes version, cd loading times, and the graphics were underwheilming for the systems.
It felt like the series was a relic from the past trying to still be revelant, ruining in the process the reputation of the snes version, too.
X4 changed that, but it took years for people to notice it wasn't mediocre as reviews said.
Still my least favourite of the snes trilogy, thou.

>> No.5181565

>>5181481
>song ends
>*whirrr*

>> No.5182781

The Zero Project mod is a big help in making this game more playable.

>> No.5182810
File: 2.82 MB, 2392x3472, 180.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's the best of the trilogy.

Each enemy encounter is a like a small challenge that you have to overcome, with a lot of variety.

This makes the game exciting and compelling all the way through.

Compare this to X1 or 2, in which you can just run through carelessly unleashing charge shots on your way unchallenged... there is less fun in that. X3 has much better enemy design and level design.

Yes it's flawed. The way the power ups are scattered. Quite a few bosses can be beaten using the same tactic. Zero. But it's still the best because the chore elements, the ones you deal with 95% of the time, are better designed.

>> No.5182815
File: 2.78 MB, 2424x3504, 181.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5182781
Too bad they're fucking it up. v3 was great but v4 has tons of very questionnable decisions.