[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.64 MB, 7824x6357, castlevania_symphony_of_the_night_50percent_map.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5166562 No.5166562 [Reply] [Original]

Hey so I would really like to mod Super Castlevania 4 in the sense that I replace the sprites of both Trevor and Dracula with sprites of Jonathan Joestar and Dio Brando. maybe also change the music to that of the part one anime soundtrack. SO what my questions are is how to replace sprites and music as well as design sprites

>> No.5167191

>>5166562

Have you ever done any programming before?

>> No.5167240

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/

>> No.5167261

Start reading up on SNES romhacking documents and tutorials.

You may be able to change the sprites but you'll soon realize the limitations are more of a problem than they seem. You're especially fucked if the character you want to replace it with doesn't have the same number of sprites (1 frame = several sprites) and not the same colour limitations; especially if the later if the one you want to replace it with is more detailed.

Replacing music you can forget about for now.

>> No.5167308

>>5166562
heh, you have no idea what you are asking for. all of that is doable, but for you, you have a looong way to go before you are able to make the hack you want.

>>5167261
This guy is right.

Each game is unique. You would have to reverse engineer the games sprite format, then map your new sprites to the format. You would almost certainly have to reverse engineer a compression algorithm (the music, player graphics, and sprite data are probably uncompressed, but less commonly enemy graphics will be) and write a codec. You would have to reverse engineer the music program too to write music. That doesn't include writing a codec for the SNES audio format.

>> No.5169372

>>5166562
You're better off just making your own game at that point