Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 118 KB, 800x947, 12494-quake-dos-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5148842 No.5148842 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Bro this game is hard as fuck

>> No.5148848

Now play it without a mouse like a lot of us did back then.

>> No.5148851

Cool, beat it and tell us how you feel.

>> No.5148856
File: 10 KB, 369x300, quakeguy at computer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5148856

Still better than Unreal.

>> No.5148859

That's what makes it fun :)

>> No.5148870

>>5148848

I played it back in 97 at the latest, I don't recall not using a mouse.

>>5148851

I'll probably feel much like I do now, early in episode 3: threatened

>>5148859

Very true.

>> No.5148880

How the fuck do I get the music to work with darkplaces using the GoG version?

>> No.5148898

>>5148880

Darkplaces is overrated, check out Quakespasm. In that case, the music tracks should be placed in id1/music/ and named like this: "track02", "track03", etc.

>> No.5148918

Just dodge faster.

>> No.5148928

>>5148848
You definitely used a mouse back then. No one with half a brain played these games with numpad or similar aim.

>> No.5149115

>>5148848
I remember learning about WASD + mouse in PC Gamer magazine. You had to type "+mlook" in the console to get full mouse control otherwise it was locked to horizontal movement. Huge improvement over the default keyboard control.

>> No.5149138

To be fair, Quake 2 was a lot harder since it was developed with mouse controls in mind.

>> No.5149143

>>5149115
>You had to type "+mlook" in the console to get full mouse control otherwise it was locked to horizontal movement
you could also keep a button pressed on your keyboard (maybe / by default iirc) to enable the mouse look.

>> No.5149156

>>5149143
Just don't be a retard and add +mlook to your autoexec.cfg. Most source ports do this by default.

>> No.5149178

>>5149143
I had a special weight for pressing the /

>> No.5149180

>>5149178
lol gg

>> No.5149203

>>5149138
no it wasn't lol. I played through quake 2 the same way I played through quake: primarily keyboard only, only occasionally looking up and down. quake 2's default controls were arrow keys, same setup as Doom. stop rewriting history like you always do you retarded zoomer.

it wasn't until half life that I finally switched to KBM

>> No.5149220

Quake is not 'hard', it's just filled with unfair design.

>>5149178
Doesn't setting that key to capslock/numlock/screenlock work to? I know it works for other games.

>> No.5149228

>>5149220
/vr/ calls everything unfair because /vr/ is retarded. NESfag or not you're a faggot.

>> No.5149331

>>5149228
Stop mixing up everything. /vr/ doesn't fall everything unfair,
Doombabies call hitscanners unfair. They think they cannot be dodged, because they don't even try, because they are stuck in their Doom vision of the world where everything is as badly designed as the Chaingunners. They also call anything with bullets "hitscanners" without knowing the definition of the word.

That's an example of who calls what unfair that is bullshit.

Now Quake? That is bullshit design. Spawn Shamblers in your face kind of bullshit. Long corridor with no cover and no means to backtrack but filled with Shamblers kind of bullshit.

Or; let's spawn Ogres all around in a small room in which you can't maneuver unless you take environmental damage; and your only mean of escape is a hole in the ground which does what? Deals you mandatory fall damage and throws you in another small room surrounded by Ogres where you can't maneuver and if you do you take even worse environmental damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mssUwtT1FfA&t=30s

The only way the guy in the video makes it out "okay" is because he knew what exactly to expect and brought power ups with him; and even then took quite a bit of damage. Now, that, is unfair design.

>> No.5149338

>>5149203
and thats wayb unreal is better and was better/

>> No.5149360

>>5149331
Holy fuck you're so fucking wrong.
First of all, doomfags are literally the most anal about hitscan definition.
Second, Quake is not about cover, it's about dodging. That fag in the video literally runs into grenades, because he's that fucking bad, not because "unfair design".

>> No.5149371

>>5149360
>First of all, doomfags are literally the most anal about hitscan definition.

Doomfags =/= Doombabies

>Second, Quake is not about cover, it's about dodging.

That is not completely true. My common about cover was regarding some Shambler placement. Plenty of Shambler placement in the game provide cover to the player, but then you have the examples of super long corridor with no cover and 2-3 Shamblers at the same time. Even if skilled, what are your chances you're going to dodge all 2-3 Shamblers at the same time when you're only allowed to make 4-5 steps left-right ? What about the instances when the Shambler spawn right in your face, or worse, in your back?

> That fag in the video literally runs into grenades, because he's that fucking bad, not because "unfair design".

And if that part in the video is about dodging, how comes there is so little space to maneuver, litteraly 2 steps on either side until you take environmental damage? and even then, considering the Ogres are all around the player, it's literally impossible to see all of them at the same time, and that you can't even see them until they're all around you already shooting at you either; even if you successfully dodge a few and somehow not take grenade splash damage from those due to how cramped the avalaible valid player space is, the Ogres from the other side are still likely to fuck you up.
The "fag" in the video doesn't take dmg because he sucks, he takes dmg because the rooms suck.

I'm sure it's technically possible to make it out of both rooms while killing everyone without using power ups and while taking no dmg except for the mandatory fall dmg. Except only when you know what exactly to expect, when you're learnt the game so well you start acting before things happen. That's beside the point, the point is the room is giant middle finger to the player, and it's just one example of Quake's design philosophy. It's everywhere,even if at a smaller extent.

>> No.5149381

Quake's gameplay is subpar. The only reason it became famous was because of the 3D engine full of 3D models.

Had the same game been made on a 2D engine it wouldn't have been a hit and wouldn't be a classic.

>> No.5149397 [DELETED] 

>>5149203
I played Quake 2 around hmmm 2000, I guess? When I built my first PC. A lot of shooters from that era had weird default control schemes, pretty much nothing came with wasd + space + mouse by default. This was the industry standard even by Quake 3, just take a look at all the dev/tester configs included with Quake 3, they all use different control schemes, sometimes really weird ones like using the numpad or IJKL or w/e.

>> No.5149410

>>5149331
>Namefag's big opinions
They're as shit as every other namefag's ever.

>> No.5149608

>>5149381
>>5149331
>>5149371
kys

>> No.5149624

>>5149381
>if it was 2d and in black and white and an adventure game instead it wouldn't be so popular
No shit, sherlock

>> No.5149665

>>5149331
>spawn shamblers in your face bs
They die in like 3~4 second by SNG or LG.
>lets spawn ogres in small room bs
Its small and slow ass projectile and you have fucking rockets. Why are you bitching this hard?

>> No.5149681

>>5149331
At least this time you posted a video of the specific area that's caused you eternal butthurt. You seem to literally think that it's IMPOSSIBLE to dodge ogres in a medium-sized room. You have zero right to call anyone a baby if you can't dodge grenades and feel the need to run away anytime you see an Ogre. Git gud.

>> No.5149701

itt: people seething about quake 22 years later.

>> No.5149707

>>5149371
Because you have fast speed, Super nailgun, lighting gun, Rocket launcher, red armor, Quad damage on maps. Enemies kills you fast and dies fast. Thats the whole point. Just play the game by yourself and talk about it later. Bitch.

>that e1m6 part you losing shit about
After you fall, theres a BIG FUCKING SPACE BEHIND that fucking stairs. To avoid the grenades. He waited on there intentionally to not waste any time, because getting health back is really easy if you know where the health packs are.
While Episode 4 levels with hell spawns do suck and proves all of your points, You didnt brought them. and only thing you proved is that you’re nothing but /v/ tier faggot who loses shit over the game you didnt even played and only watched it on youtube. Delete this and eat shit. Thanks.

>> No.5149713

>>5148848
>>5149371
>>5149701
You cant spell /vr/ without /v/

>> No.5149715

I thought being a nesfag made you skillful at playing extremely tight and fast paced action games but I guess it's not the case there

>> No.5149716
File: 59 KB, 490x519, douk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5149716

I ain't afraid of no Quake!

>> No.5149717

>all these faggots pretending Quake is difficult
Holy fuck, what am I reading? You faggots think your little PC version is hard? Try clearing Nightmare on the N64 version that has no kb+m controls and then get back to me. That shit would make you cry.

Also, anyone who says this game is unfair is a literal drooling retard. The whole game is about learning how to effectively use powerups, learning the most effecient route through each levels and learning the strengths and weaknesses of each weapon. If you get your ass handed to you, it's because you suck. Get back in the game, formulate a different strategy and conquer the level. Just stop bitching.

>> No.5149732

>>5149715

Wait, how many true 3d fps were on NES again?

>> No.5149748

>>5149717
Dont know about n64 part but you got the point.

>> No.5149765
File: 148 KB, 600x597, cover_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5149765

>>5149732
does a gameboy count?

>> No.5149781

>>5149381
its pretty damn fun idk what you mean

>> No.5149806

>look down
>fire rocket
>bypass level
woah....

>> No.5149834

>>5149707

Most of Episode 4's levels are built in a way that you can pick up a new Quad Damage right when one is about to expire. Once you learn how to maximize your Quad Damages Episode 4 is cake. That's an example of good powerup usage making things easier.

>>5149717

Exactly. Quake doesn't have a crutch weapon like Doom 2's Super Shotgun that you can use to power through everything. You need to know what works and what doesn't depending on the situation.

>The Rocket Launcher is fucking fantastic, but is waste of ammo against Shamblers and will probably get you killed against Fiends.
>The Super Nailgun is a great crowd control weapon, but the fact it shoots projectiles and burns through your nail ammo reserve makes its use limited. But, it has longer range than the Lightning Gun, so it's good against stationary or barely-moving targets at a distance.
>The Super Shotgun is a good, well-rounded weapon that works if big enemies are too close to you for the Rocket Launcher and to conserve your nails, rockets, and cells for more serious threats. It's not a death cannon like it is in Doom 2, but it works well enough.
>And so on, and so on.

Quake's enemies also require a lot more movement skills to dodge than Doom's, which seems to throw many people off that are used to how mindless and easy it is to dodge Doom projectiles and enemies. The Fiend alone requires a lot more movement than anything in Doom 1 or 2, and the Vore balls really require you to know how to make sharp turns to shake off homing projectiles in a way you didn't need to with Revenant rockets in Doom 2.

>> No.5149847

>>5148848
Played it on release day, used a mouse.

>> No.5149902
File: 8 KB, 148x117, ogre.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5149902

The biggest asshole in all of Quake is this fucking prick. Fuck him and his stupid bouncing grenades

>> No.5149968 [DELETED] 
File: 1.37 MB, 640x360, e1m6 NM.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5149968

>>5149331
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mssUwtT1FfA&t=30s
>The only way the guy in the video makes it out "okay" is because he knew what exactly to expect and brought power ups with him; and even then took quite a bit of damage. Now, that, is unfair design.
Yeah, that dude's in a shit position. Why is he standing there, especially when he knows the map? Why do you think that this gameplay is infallible and why do you think he has to stand there?

>> No.5150004

>>5149331
The irony is you are being a doom babby. You conflate your lack of ability with bad design which is everything a doom babby does.

>Doombabies call hitscanners unfair. They think they cannot be dodged
And you seem to think ogres can't be dodged and/or dealt with appropriately in situations where they clearly can be, despite their alert wind up phase, their projectile grenades and the fact that they're easily stunned and melted by various guns.

>badly designed as the chaingunners
So you actually are a fully fledged doom babby. Sorry but chaingunners aren't badly designed. Again, wind up alert (which is 10 years), more than enough time to deal with them by stunning/killing and/or moving in and out of cover. Plus from a distance their accuracy goes to dogshit and they take a good while to lock onto you after they start firing, especially if you're moving fast, and if moving fast many of their bullets will miss when they're far away. The only place they are used unfairly in Doom II (for a first time run) is that one big monster closet in The Pit. Incidentally this situation wouldn't be unfair the first time through if Doom had fast weapon switching (and a faster BFG fire speed) a la Quake as then a decent player would have more than enough time to react and fuck them up before they shoot. Why I'm bringing this up? It doesn't seem to me like you utilise the instant weapon changing in Quake, based on your previous complaints (like that elevator you were bitching about in E2M6). A big part of Quake is selecting the right weapon for the right job, and with the instant switching you can always immediately get exactly what you need.

>> No.5150009
File: 2.90 MB, 852x480, e1m6 shambler dance.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150009

>>5150004*

>Spawn Shamblers in your face kind of bullshit.
There's something very simple called a "Shambler dance" and it's very easily done without taking damage on Hard difficulties and below. I mean it's almost 2019 and you still can't do this? If a Shambler sees you on Hard, he will always first run towards you in his alert phase, going for a melee attack. This gives you ample opportunity to start blasting at him (you'll also be very likely repeatedly stun him with the SNG) and position yourself such that you can shambler dance with him. Thus a Shambler spawning "in your face" can very easily be dealt with on standard difficulties without taking an iota of damage. On Nightmare skill however he will quickly attack you with the hit scan lightning if so there will be times you'll get hurt with nothing you could have done with those open spawns but it's not a big deal. It's up to the player to minimise the damage beyond that first shot by proceeding to shambler dance or gaining cover. NM however is hardly the difficulty to judge the game's "fairness" on for a first time run and it obviously isn't made for that. There's clearly a reason why it's hidden.

>> No.5150015

>>5150009
>Or; let's spawn Ogres all around in a small room in which you can't maneuver unless you take environmental damage; and your only mean of escape is a hole in the ground which does what?
Ah yes, your "classic" E1M6 autism, which still remains utterly ridiculous and flase. This is what actually happens. You approach the hole in the floor. From there you can LOOK DOWN and inspect the area beneath you before dropping. Actually you can look around that area from above and even SEE the fucking ogres before you fall. You then VOLUNTARILY drop down. It is at this point the ogres around the platform will be alerted to your presence. They don't spawn in as you put it, they are already there, and you would have even seen from above. There is a LARGE, CLEAR PLATFORM for you to move around on. You are not compelled to go down the stairs. I understand, since you're shit, you see the three ogres (!!!!) and you shit your pants and your flight mechanism kicks in. However, a good player will use the large platform available to dodge the incoming enemy nades whilst fucking them up. On hard difficulty, these ogres will first make a noise and enter their alert phase for a moment, at which point you should begin the onslaught on at least one of them and be prepared to dodge the other grenades on the way.

>> No.5150020
File: 1.37 MB, 640x360, e1m6 NM.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150020

>>5150015*

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mssUwtT1FfA&t=30s
>The only way the guy in the video makes it out "okay" is because he knew what exactly to expect and brought power ups with him; and even then took quite a bit of damage. Now, that, is unfair design.
Okay. First of all, that dude is playing on Nightmare, and as stated enemies react much faster on Nightmare, and Nightmare is not the difficulty on which to judge Quake's fairness for a first playthrough. It's obviously not designed for that. However, no offence to the guy but his gameplay isn't very good. Why are you posting this dude like this gameplay is infallible and nobody else could possibly do any different? His positioning for the situation is clearly shit, and apparently you think that this is the only fucking place the guy could be. Webm related is how I deal with this situation. Notice the difference?

>> No.5150025
File: 2.93 MB, 852x480, e1m6 hard no power ups.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150025

>>5150020*

Now on Hard difficulty, with no power-ups, this webm is how the situation would look, and it's pretty much what I described above. I did not practice this, I just played through the game and recorded, this was the first attempt, even though I'm so used to playing on Nightmare and getting the power up to fuck this place up. Does this really look unfair to you? Do you really think somebody couldn't have averted getting hit on a first run vs those slow ass ogres and used that area in which to dodge the nades? The sad thing is you're fucking NESfag, and even though I've clearly shown you that the guy is in a fucking retard position and there is clearly room to maneuvre, your literal pompous autism will drown this all out and in another few months you'll make the same retarded shitpost again.

>> No.5150041
File: 1.18 MB, 640x360, shambler ranging.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150041

>>5150025*

>>5149371
>but then you have the examples of super long corridor with no cover and 2-3 Shamblers at the same time
The only level I can think of with a "super long corridors" and multiple shamblers is this one level in E4. The shambler's lightning attack has limited range, your non LG attacks don't. You can b8 this attack and keep shooting at him while staying out of his range, keeping him at a distance. And these "super long corridors" have entrances from which you can strafe back and forth into cover; it's not like these corridors exist in a void. If you're caught in a bad position it's probably your fault and you shouldn't have been so wreckless by not appropriately dealing with the shamblers from the distance (and hauling ass away with bunnyhopping is always fun). You could get unlucky but hell, you could get unlucky in any FPS. It's not the end of the fucking world m8. And if you're finding it's happening too often, then you're probably doing something wrong.

>And if that part in the video is about dodging, how comes there is so little space to maneuver, litteraly 2 steps on either side until you take environmental damage? and even then, considering the Ogres are all around the player, it's literally impossible to see all of them at the same time
>The "fag" in the video doesn't take dmg because he sucks, he takes dmg because the rooms suck.
See the webms I posted. There is clearly plenty of room to maneuvre and the guy has put himself in a stupid ass position (despite knowing the map) which you seem to think is infallible. You can see all the ogres when attacking, you're completely wrong. He clearly could have played the area better.

>> No.5150046

>>5149331
I'm not sure what the video you posted is supposed to show. Dude is playing incredibly reckless and still walks out with near full health. He never even comes close to dying. Unless you're for some reason getting mad that you get hit at all (which would be dumb), I don't really see a problem in that video.

>> No.5150098
File: 2.94 MB, 640x360, dm4 room.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150098

I would also like to say there are "cheap" moments in Quake, based on NESfag's criteria (which is "likely unavoidable damage on a first playthrough"), but the so-called examples he runs to (this E1M6 one, the elevator with the ogres in E2M6, this basement in one of the E3 levels) are all non-issues and he's just completely wrong. There is literally no reason someone couldn't get through these the first time on hard and not take damage, it's down to the player.

I'd also say that I don't agree that "unavoidable" damage is necessarily a bad thing, provided the level gives you enough resources to get through it, it's used sparingly and it's not total BS (which the official Quake campaign isn't, at all). For a given situation where I died, could I really not have done something better in it? Was I playing really shitty previously in the level that lead me to this current situation where I got assfucked (but the level was still overall "fair" and it was down to me playing bad overall)? Like webm related was blind and I took 12 damage here, I'd say 5 was "unavoidable" from that first ogre, 7 was me failing to dodge the zombie projectile and that's my own fault. A situation like this doesn't piss me off, personally I think it's good tense gameplay, but opinions vary.

>> No.5150108

>>5149331
>Running away from a shambler down a long hallway
>Not running towards it and baiting it into melee, playing footsies with a 12 foot tall lighning bear that smells like an electrical dumpster fire

>> No.5150146

Why in the fuck do they strip all your weapons after the completion of an episode? Halfway into episode 4 and I still don't have a motherfucking super nail gun

>> No.5150165

>>5150020
Damn dude, did you just film those to prove anon wrong?

>> No.5150174
File: 47 KB, 256x300, TRESPASSER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5150174

>>5149138
Quake 2 is remarkably easy. Especially the bosses, all of which can easily be beaten without taking damage with rudimentary circle-strafing.

I'm not even good at this game, but pic related isn't even a threat

>> No.5150190

why do people who don't know how to play the game always blame the game, Quake is a real easy game and damage is almost entirely avoidable

>> No.5150208

>>5149371
>And if that part in the video is about dodging, how comes there is so little space to maneuver, litteraly 2 steps on either side until you take environmental damage?
Well, first of all, I see, you prefer talking about McGee's maps specifically. Fair enough, I don't like his maps either. What I want to bring your attention towards, is that the other mappers have mapping styles that are very obviously different from McGee's style AND from each other as well. So, I think, it would be quite unfair to judge their work based on McGee's maps.

Second, pistolstarting McGee's maps from Doom2 and Ultimate Doom, as well as playing his Jaguar versions of the original Doom maps, led me to think, that his maps are best being played in an extremely frugal, stingy manner. He requires you not to miss, VERY MUCH to mind your step, yadda-yadda. His maps sort of require you to mind your every action as a sort of investment. Playing that way doesn't insulate you from ALL the bullshit on his maps, but it DOES insulate you from the majority of it.

Anyway, third, not every mapper has to be praised even if a paid one, and for a legendary game to boot. I personally don't feel like praising McGee, so I don't, as simple as that.

>> No.5150210

>>5150208
>second-guessing
That's the word I was looking for.

>> No.5150235

>>5150208
Although, continuing this train of thought (I don't feel like actually rechecking his levels at this moment), I wonder whether it could be that McGee's "setup" of sorts is

making the player waver in a situation where time is essential, and the correct way out of the situation would be, conversely, acting in an extremely resolved manner

In other words, to coerce the player to second-guess himself at really obviously bad spots.

That is just a random thoughts though.

>> No.5150256

>>5150174
It's true that vanilla Quake 2 was easy. But both its expansions, Reckoning and Ground Zero were pretty damn hard. I prefer both over the original.

>> No.5150260

>>5150165
The Nightmare webms are from an old playthrough I've just got sitting on my laptop. Went through a big quake phase recently as I discovered quake injector. played through many fan maps/episodes, had a real blast, decided to revisit quake 1 in the end, recorded it to make some OC for /wsg/. I wanted to make one webm per level, but unfortunately the audio started desyncing in the webm maker, which tends to happen for longplays.

>>>/wsg/2397318

I'm lucky I still have this playthrough as usually I end up deleting them before long after making the webms. I'm now totally burnt out of this game though, wont be playing it again for a very long time.

>> No.5150295

>>5150235
>tl;dr: what is obviousness
That is the last of it, I swear. And no, I am not baiting for replies.

>> No.5151902

>>5148928
I played it on PS1, my favorite game at the time, great soundtrack too

>> No.5151904

>>5148870
Didn't realize I was so alone in getting used to FPS games without a mouse up to that point. I didn't start using one until Quake 2.

>> No.5152012

>>5148928
>what are default keyboard controls and why are they called 'default'

>> No.5152239

>>5148928
I did

>> No.5152257

>people talking about ports

These are not actually Quake. The thread is about the original PC release of Quake, not the butchered, lesser ports.

Anyway I'm stuck on fucking E4M4 and pretty much done with this game. I doubt i'll ever finish it because these later levels are seriously annoying

>> No.5152265

Don't rely on the shotguns, OP. The shotguns are last-resort weapons.

>>5148880
>darkplaces
You don't deserve help.

>> No.5152509

>>5149331
>playing on nightmare
nightmare is literally broken, the manual even fucking tells you as much

>> No.5152530 [DELETED] 

>>5148842
Nah bro i beat it as a 7 year old using arrow keys without mouselook or wasd-strafing.

(on easy)

>> No.5152534

>>5148842
It's not that hard. I suck at videogames and I managed to beat that game on hard.

>> No.5152538

Nah bro i beat it as a 7 year old using arrow keys without mouselook or wasd-strafing.

(on easy)

>>5151904
Most of us didn't use a mouse IMO, hence why in '96 quake still used keyboard non-strafe defaults. I think the vast majority of wasd+mouselook use was popularized later on by online play, then later standardized.

People back in the day had all sorts of whacky control schemes. I knew one guy that used the mouse y-axis to move forward/back and mouse x-axis turn left/right, like what the fuck? Also, lots of people used joystick/keyboard combos (joystick for walking forward/backward/strafing + arrow keys for turning).

>> No.5152562

>>5152509
This. It's not worth it even in an ironic sense or for bragging rights, it just ruins the game and makes you dislike it.

You know, I love quake and all, but it is NOTHING on goldeneye for replay value or for speedrunning. Nothing. And I owned and beat them both around the same time in my childhood (maybe not all 100%, whatever)... so you "it's all nostalgia" fags can piss off.

>> No.5152567
File: 42 KB, 550x416, 1426699200129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5152567

Fuck off, Vinny

>> No.5152575

>>5148842
the correct term is poorly designed

>> No.5152581
File: 631 KB, 489x532, omar.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5152581

>>5152562
>"quake not as good for speedrunning"
>the game that literally popularized speedrunning

>> No.5152590

>>5150146
Why the fuck wouldn't they? Each episode is its own thing, otherwise you'd have players going E1>E2>E1>E3>E1>E4 so they could swing by Chthon's house and stock up fully before every episode. E4 in particular is intentional; while the other mappers made their maps however and placed them in the episode pretty much randomly, with each map possible to play from a shotgun start and containing at least one of most of the weapons, Sandy Petersen specifically meant for E4 to be played as one whole thing, in order. He really liked being able to specifically plan what weapons the player could have at a given point, and knew how powerful the SNG was.

>> No.5152592

>>5152538
>I knew one guy that used the mouse y-axis to move forward/back and mouse x-axis turn left/right, like what the fuck?
Have you seen toxjc's keybinds? Forward and back on left and right click, strafe left/right on Z/X, and C for shoot. Mouse Y-axis for forward and back is actually Quake's default control scheme.

>> No.5152623

>>5148880
Easy, just remove Darkplaces and use any other source port.

>> No.5152651

>>5152581
Well, it popularized it on pc, goldeneye popularized it on console. I was kind of out of the quake speedrunning loop for... like 20 years, but yes I take your point that quake done quick was a hugely influential thing based on second-hand knowledge. I didn't say it didn't start it, I said it's not as good for speedrunning. Goldeneye speedrunning is still going strong, if anything it's more popular than ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT0kXWd4jV0

Again, I love Quake but it doesn't compel me as much personally. Would you believe when I was a kid I had to argue that Quake was still a really good game to the others at school after Goldeneye was released. I do think it's good but I'm sorry it doesn't compel me nearly as much.

>> No.5152653

>>5148848
Fuck that, I beat Ultimate Doom on Nightmare back in the day, keyboard only.

>> No.5152656

>>5152562
i play on nightmare standard for all new maps and it's fine. youre a bitch

>> No.5152662

>>5152538
>Most of us didn't use a mouse IMO
yeah. Like you I knew one guy growing up that used a mouse in quake, and the rest of us squinted our eyes at him. we were kids though, of course. he said, "The id guys play with mouse and say you should!"

I remember watching him using the mouse and he was retarded with it, he'd literally use the mouse to move around, kek, +mlook wasn't on, etc.

>>5152538
>People back in the day had all sorts of whacky control schemes
>>5152592
yeah, it was when half life came out that I finally switched to KBM. My control scheme was retarded. I used LMB to move forward, RMB to move backwards. left shift to strafe left, z to strafe right, control to shoot, space to use/open.

I think I did this because I used my right hand on the arrow keys all those years on keboard only, and was thus used to the right hand to move me forward and back, so I kept that for the right hand on the mouse. control was also the default standard shoot button for keyboard only FPS.

>> No.5152665

>>5152662
*wait for half life space was probably jump

>> No.5152737

>>5152651
No dramas, i actually like goldeneye but it's hard to see someone say x > quake for speedrunning when it's had such a crazy influence on all fps speedrunning, and popularizing speedrunning in general for 20 years, including lending the name of the original speedrun movie to the currently normie-pulling GDQ events.

>>5152662
My controls for descent were pretty bad. I think they were default, but in hindsight i dont know how i use to play with them. A/Z were forward/backward, arrow keys turn up-down/left-right and alt-strafing. Basically every button around the left hand A/Z was bound to something too - reverse, prox, weapons fire prim/sec, flares, etc. That game really benefits from a sidewinder joystick.

>> No.5153548

Quake is pretty easy even on 'nightmare'. Nothing compared to Doom1/2. Quake 2 is even easier.
I played it a lot though, lapped the singleplayer multiple times first in software mode and when the first 3dfx came around I needed to replay it with 3d acceleration of course. It was groundbreaking. And then... Quake 2 was announced and they released the first demo. I was fucking blown away.
I don't remember at which point Unreal came out, was it after Quake 2? That was utterly fascinating game I played that a lot too and for some reason the garish graphics didn't bother at all, it was another world.
*tssshh*

>> No.5153617

>That was utterly fascinating game I played that a lot too and for some reason the garish graphics didn't bother at all, it was another world.

Would you say it was... unreal?

>> No.5153632
File: 326 KB, 1129x1564, tumblr_n77fbk4sHe1snhn1io1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
5153632

>>5148848
>mouse
n00bs

>> No.5153641

>>5152538
>Most of us didn't use a mouse IMO
This thread says otherwise. Apparently you and I are among the unlucky few who didn't get a direct message from god letting us know about the mlook command when we opened our boxes.

>> No.5153667

>>5148842
It's just right.

>> No.5153714

>>5153617
I would say >*tsssshhh* cracks open a cold Red Bull

>> No.5154220

>>5148848
Oh man, I remember using PgUp and PgDwn keys to look up and down. I didn't start using a mouse until that one crazy Team Fortress mod came out... TF-ultimate, or something? The one where the sniper could call in airstrikes, Scout had a jetpack and everyone could throw electric grenades, making water a deathtrap.

>> No.5154315

>>5153641
I think they are lying, mis-remembering, larping, or it's confirmation bias where only people that mlooked are posting here.
These early FPS games shipped with auto-aim and default binds that led to people using arrow keys turning and limited strafing.

>> No.5154774

>>5154315
You know the auto-aim in Quake isn't actually auto aim, it just makes the enemies' hitboxes taller?

>> No.5155112

>>5154774
Thats not true lol. you can literally see your nails fly in the direction of the enemies with auto aim on. if an enemy is higher you'll see the nails angle up.

quake has house size hitbox regardless

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action