[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 134 KB, 2048x1152, yxwrdkzchwh11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5136601 No.5136601 [Reply] [Original]

Am I crazy or is Homeworld too hard to be fun for people new to the genre?
I just can't keep up with its pace, when I finally start to get the hang of its basics, I.E building a shitload of Heavy Corvettes to deal with the first enemies, then building a group of scouts to harass with, and a couple of salvage corvettes, I get absolutely slammed once and it's practically game over, I might win the game but the next round I won't have even a second to adjust to the next onslaught, and I have to load an earlier save to adjust my choices.

It seems a bit counter-intuitive, don't take that as me not liking this game though, I'm crazy about it, but right now the frustration is outweighing everything else and I have to put it down for a little while.

>> No.5136620
File: 241 KB, 1920x1080, HiigaraOurHome1920x1080.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The game simply doesn't let you sit back even a little bit to recover your lost fleet, you are dropped in the next area without resources, having to send out a new fleet to harvest new resources, only to be bombarded by an attacking fleet often less than 1-2 minutes into the match.
It carries over from the last round, and if you just spend the last round getting your ass blasted because you don't entirely understand the basics of every ship properly, you'll have to start again from scratch and try again.

The tutorial also only covers the basics of movement, and the first mission only lets you play around with different maneuvers. Everything else needs to be researched yourself, and then I do the research and discover I did everything wrong, and get assfucked by a pathetic excuse for a fleet.

I've started over from scratch twice already, first because I focused too much on Scouts and too little on the Heavy Cruisers, then again when I didn't focus enough on the Salvage Corvettes enough and too much on the Heavy Cruisers and useless interceptors.

Then I finally got the hang of it and got further into the game than I ever could before, only to discover that I needed support frigates I couldn't afford, and didn't steal enough cannons.

>> No.5136764

Nothing can take us far enough emotion
Far enough together
As the light shines so bright
Bright enough to let us in

Nothing can bridge our souls' devotion
Fast enough together
As the power proves you right
Right enough to let you begin

So many displaced among the future dreamers
Realized their doubles
Took a new step
A question of origin

Only in the recent past
Seekers fought to realize
Skyward shone like beacons
A question of origin

Ten thousand millions flee
To the westward light
The dreamers represent
This arc of peace

As the poets entranced
The anchor redeemed
Secrets of science
The history of the future
Was surely made

Just what keeps us so alive
Just what makes us realize
Our home is our world, our life
Home is our world

Nothing can take us far enough emotion
Far enough together
As the light shines so bright
Bright enough to let us in

Nothing can bridge our souls devotion
Fast enough together
As the power proves you right
Right enough to let you begin

Speak so fast to the prophets of the living
Looking for the signs
Spanning out the centuries
Search for truth

Ancient ones, they watch and listen
Carry our wishes
Took upon themselves to guide us
Through the endless skies

Our hope is our world, our life

>> No.5136768
File: 2.99 MB, 200x164, 1536360523816.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5136764
I have seen the passion
That's in the hope that everyone
Will find their way into the secret
Of the home of your heart

Living within the vision
Within the power, beyond belief
We see that hate destroys the soul
Of anyone who tries to teach it

I have seen the dream
That's in your heart
That's in your eyes
To bring you closer to the one

It's what keeps us so alive
It's what makes us realize

Home is our world, our life

Send, ascending to the secrets
All is pure and clear to resolve
Nothing can change us now

Send, ascending to the future
Nothing can ever change us now
We follow the sun
We follow the sun
We follow the sun

Truth is a simple place
Here for us all to see
Reach as it comes to you
As it comes to me
As I will always need you inside my heart

Peace is a word we teach
A place for us all to reach
Sing as it sings to you
As it sings to me
As I will always need you inside my heart

>> No.5136775

>>5136764
>>5136768
Now I want to play again and get my ass handed to me.

>> No.5138865

>>5136601
>Am I crazy or is Homeworld too hard to be fun
Could be related to the copy protection which makes the game incredibly hard if using a cracked exe.

>> No.5138884

>>5138865
Original game, got it through steam.

>> No.5139160 [DELETED] 
File: 84 KB, 1024x768, light_corvette4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5136601
>>5136620
>>5136775

Homeworld's difficulty is trivial.
Its sequels are both at least twice as hard.
I have beaten the HW campaign without losing a single unit before.
It is one of the most bare bones RTSes ever made with no terrain, no buildings, no upgrades for units, simple research tree, and only one type of resource to collect.

If you are having trouble it is because:
1. You don't know which units to use against which units.
2. You don't know the optimal formation/tactics/groupsize for each unit.
3. You are using too many different types of units for the mission.
4. You are issuing too many redunant or pointless commands in the heat of battle instead of a few important ones.
5. You don't understand the mission structure/AI triggers and how to break up the mission into phases.
6. You are focusing excessively on capturing everything which is preventing you from learning the normal combat.

Just tell me what mission you are on and I will tell you how to clear it.

>> No.5139170
File: 84 KB, 1024x768, light_corvette4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5136601
>>5136620
>>5136775

Homeworld's difficulty is trivial.
Its sequels are both at least twice as hard.
I have beaten the HW campaign without losing a single unit before.
It is one of the most bare bones RTSes ever made with no terrain, no buildings, no upgrades for units, simple research tree, and only one type of resource to collect.

If you are having trouble it is because:
1. You don't know which units to use against which units.
2. You don't know the optimal formation/tactics/groupsize for each unit.
3. You are using too many different types of units for the mission.
4. You are issuing too many redunant or pointless commands in the heat of battle instead of a few important ones.
5. You don't understand the mission structure/AI triggers and how to break up the mission into phases.
6. You are focusing excessively on capturing everything which is preventing you from learning the normal combat.

Just tell me what mission you are on, your current fleet, RUs remaining, and I will tell you how to clear it.

>> No.5139196

I'm still upset the remastered version sucks.

>> No.5139239

>>5139170
This. HW is actually easy. I hate rts, and can stand HW because it trivializes the difficulty

>> No.5139819
File: 183 KB, 725x1200, 154044162486.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5139196
Remastered is better than the original, far better UI, less slow, and having to spend currency to research actually makes you pick and choose.

The remastered is a little bit too easy I'd say, but it doesn't ruin the enjoyment from the original. Not having cock pit view is literally not a problem. The only real problem is buggy savegames, but even the original was buggy as shit, like stealing a carrier only to forever bug your save that carried over from the original.

>> No.5139845
File: 92 KB, 209x228, 1540616046123.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5139819
>Redhead with tails and a swimsuit underneath her jumper
Goddamn dude, that's like, all my fetishes. Thanks for posting this one.

>> No.5139872

>>5139845
You're a simple man with simple tastes, aren't you. I can respect that.

>> No.5139875

>>5136601
I only play skirmish. It's excellent. Team up with a CPU-controlled fleet that takes care of the opponents. Set attacks to low, and just explore, mine, build, and chill.

>> No.5140463

>>5139819
The remaster ruined the HW1 campaign by adding the HW2 enemy fleet scaling. Also they messed with the projectile system and accuracy so it completely wrecks the balance. I played it again when they supposedly "fixed" everything and they made the game run worse with larger fleets, also the HW1 formations don't work for shit. Luckily there are mods and the remaster comes with the original games which is nice. Its kinda crazy how modders are able to fix the issues way better than gearbox ever could

>> No.5140464

>>5136601
I played it last month for the first time, I only had the sequel back in the day, I finished it but had to look up guide from time to time, and i also damaged my 20+ year old keyboard by slamming my fist in it when mothership got fried in the final mission for like the fourth time

>> No.5140482

>>5140464
Send ships to intercept the rear attackers before they even arrive. Now that you know their numbers it shouldn't be too hard to have an appropriately sized fleet ready to intercept

>> No.5140485

>>5140482
yeah I did it already and won the game, thanks anyway,
any tips for Cataclysm? Haven't started it yet

>> No.5140520

>>5140485
I haven't played that game in 10 years haha. I remember battles being a bit of a clusterfuck because your frigates will push enemies all over the place as they ram things to attack. I don't remember it being particularly difficult but I also remember the levels requiring a bit more multitasking. I think one level in particular has a "If your fleet is too slow you automatically lose" sort of quality to it so save RUs to be more adaptable.

I also never beat it as I got stuck on the final level then my hard drive died.

>> No.5140572

>>5140520
thanks, I'll put my retro rig back together and give it a shot

>> No.5140581

>>5140572
Its on GoG under a different name. Not sure how well it works on modern systems though.

>> No.5140631
File: 53 KB, 800x600, acolyte2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5140485
Ok Cataclysm tips.

First off the new difficulty level feature.
Very easy and easy are pathetic with severe buffs/debuffs to your ships/enemy ships and reduced numbers of enemy ships. Don't play on these.
Hard and very hard are simple -15% and -30% HP on your ships respectively. You will have more attrition of your units here. Choose these for later playthroughs as the default is already harder than HW1.

Cataclysm AI and mission design is much improved. Enemy fleets will keep on sending waves at you and the missions are longer with more objectives and fewer resting moments than the first game. The enemy will actually build new ships to kill you with so it really pays to scout out their harvesting operations and destroy them.

Formations and tactics work the same as HW1 so what worked for you there will be useful here as well.
Don't retire your starting 3 scouts. You need them to explore the map which now has fog of war. Put them in sphere formation to maximize their increased view distance.
Don't build any resource processors, they are slow, not very good attackers, and are too large to retire.
Resources are so plentiful you will have all you will ever need by halfway through the game and time compression means your initial two workers will be enough.
There is no reason not to have maximum size fleets (enemy fleet scaling is gone; replaced by difficulty select).
Build Acolytes until you run out of command points. As you lose some of them you can then build newer, larger ships but Acolytes can clear the first half of the game by themselves.
Your mothership can move now and has very good guns. Always lure enemy ships to her so she can help kill them.
ACVs are better against fighters and vettes because they have more armor (less attrition).
Acolytes are better against capital ships because missiles.

Multibeam frigs are for killing fighters and vettes.
Drone frigs are for killing capital ships.
Ramming frigates kinda suck desu.

Destroyers are super.

>> No.5140667

>>5140631
There's no need to build dreadnoughts which are just larger destroyers that move slower, cost twice the support units, and their special repulsor field upgrade blocks their ventral ion cannon from firing.

Carriers actually increase command points so build and upgrade them as soon as you get them.
Mimics/ACVs are for kamikaze and stealth scouting.
Sentinels are cool but you might not have space for them in your fleet. You need 3-12 of them to be useful.
Leeches can stealth scout and also "poison" enemy ships to death without them realizing.

Capturing is harder and also less useful in Cataclysm but if you know what you are doing you can still break the game with it just like HW1. There will be an opportunity to capture Higaaran ships so you can have destroyers earlier than normal.
If your ships get infected you have about a second to select them and double tap S to self destruct them.
On the final mission you will get a new ship type. Retire everything and build nothing but those.

>> No.5140773

>>5139170
>>5139239
>can't tell the difference between tight and banal
Why do people on here always have to shit on everything? It just makes you look stupid.

The game is fucking hard for kids and like every good game, once you know how it works, it's easy.

>> No.5141121

>>5140463
Which mods?