[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 2202x1032, sldkriyvn poaiurfnv.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5133939 No.5133939 [Reply] [Original]

Two amazingly atmospheric games. What are the strange and mystic paths between them?

What would Quake in Blood's Build engine be like? What would Blood in Quake's engine be like?

I feel that there are places where these games meet each other... dark railway tracks leading to haunted rotting castles by strange water.

Quake: utterly humorless
Blood: tongue-in-cheek

Yet they share a respect for the weird.

How do we go forward building on these games?

>> No.5133961

>>5133939
No joke, Romero originally wanted the Ogre to piss on you if you died to him. Also according to the manual, the grunts have been wired to orgasm every time they kill you. There's definitely some humor behind the game, although it didn't make it into the game itself.

>> No.5134060

Blood
-being based on a technically less advanced engine means they can go wild on the details and small touches
-higly polished product with tons of different small things that can happen, tons of technical effects everywhere

Quake
-all about showcasing that 3D
-"keep it as simple as possible" design philosophy. Not even a crouch of use key. Not alt fire, shared ammo between weapons. Empty levels with hardly any cool thing every going on.
- "fuck you" gameplay design philosophy, with traps for added "fuck yous".

Blood is great because of Build. They couldn't have done the same thing in Quake Engine, not released at the same time, and not without worrying about only high end PCs being able to play their game.

>> No.5134148

Wish we had a really active, responsive general for Quake + Build engine games.

>> No.5134154

>>5133961
I don't believe that

>> No.5134175

>>5134060
>"fuck you" gameplay design philosophy
No it's not, those encounters are rare, and your criticism is bullshit. And it's funny you're saying that about Quake, when Blood has the most "fuck you" design philosophy there is with Cultist instant hit-scan firing. Blood requires a lot more level pre-knowledge than Quake does if you want to get through it without taking damage. Fuck off NESpleb.

>> No.5134181

>>5134148
Until maybe the late-ish 2000s or so (?), Quake had the most active community of any old school FPS series. It was only once Doom modding got super popular again that it became the focus of old school FPS fandom in general. The Doom thread still has a lot of Quake posting in general though.

>> No.5134183

>>5134060
>Blood is great because of Build
BUILD is a janky ass abomination of an engine, pretty much gimmicks over substance.

>> No.5134184

>>5133939
>blood in quake's engine:
http://www.transfusion-game.com/

>> No.5134189

>>5134181

Think that was the joke

>> No.5134195

>>5134175
It's not the same thing at all

Quake:
>enter a small square room
>suddenly all the walls around open up with grenade throwing enemies on all sides
>little to no room to maneuver, only way out is a hole to god knows where

This is a prime example but Quake does that all the time in varying degrees. The grenade guys are always in fuck you placement, like being your back, or in a dark corner from above. Then there are the "rams into you kind" in places with little room to maneveur.

in Blood there is always room to maneveur, or to take cover, or to go back, and the real "fuck yous" of the Quake kind do exist but are few in number and smaller of consequence. You see those rooms full of cultists on all sides in E1M5? Quake would just spawn you in the middle and throw in a couple more medkits as if that's okay.

Thankfully the 2 Quake add-ons aren't like that, and also have level design more anchored in reality.

>> No.5134335

>>5134060
I'm not a big fan of Quake's single player combat, but I find the atmosphere the game generates to be extremely potent, which makes up for that.

>> No.5134358

>>5134195
You don't know what you're talking about, you've been in these threads before and you were laughed out by several anons.

>>/vr/thread/S2714312
So yeah, did you ever get any better at this game, because you clearly haven't played it in a while.
> Quake would just spawn you in the middle and throw in a couple more medkits as if that's okay.
What is DOOM? Things that don't happen in Quake for $500, Alex.

>> No.5134896

>>5134184
reminder someone remade blood multiplayer in quake/dark places

>> No.5134963

>>5134154
https://web.archive.org/web/20110807085226/http://www.quakeexpo.com/interview_romero.php?
http://sdf.org/~jstg/quake/q1manual.pdf
>"keep it as simple as possible" design philosophy. Not even a crouch of use key. Not alt fire, shared ammo between weapons.
Okay, all true
>Empty levels with hardly any cool thing every going on.
Now hold on. The games had very different design philosophies. Quake was empty of interactivity & decorations like Blood. But it was chock full of enemies/encounters, not to mention cool architecture. Most encounters in Quake feel masterfully crafted. Because the game is so focused on gameplay.
>"fuck you" gameplay design philosophy, with traps for added "fuck yous".
Ha, how can you say that when comparing it to Blood? Half the time you turn a corner you'll be rekt by a cultist unless you're being super careful and quick on the trigger. And there are plenty of environmental traps too, like the fireballs. I've played roughly the same amount of both games (beaten the main games + many usermaps), and Quake feels easy on hard mode while Blood is actually hard on hard.

>> No.5134969

>>5134963
Meant to also quote >>5134060

>> No.5134972
File: 13 KB, 512x384, classydolan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5134358
>those NESfag posts
wew, embarrassing

>>5134335
It seems lots of people share this sentiment. I really love q1's atmosphere and setting. I never had a problem with the combat, i actually really liked dodging ogres and vore missiles since the movement physics feel so damn good.

>> No.5135236

>>5134358
Oh god that thread. He's honestly such a tool. I can't even be bothered to argue with him anymore as this has been going on for years. It's hilarious how impotent he seems to be against Ogres, when they have a fucking alert sound/phase and their grenades are fucking projectiles, yet he acts like if there's one behind you there's absolutely nothing you can do but take a nade up the ass. What a fucking grandpa.

>> No.5136149

>>5134195
>>enter a small square room
>>suddenly all the walls around open up with grenade throwing enemies on all sides
>>little to no room to maneuver, only way out is a hole to god knows where
Literally never happens

There is room to maneuvre or react appropriately in Quake 99% of the time, you're just a joke. For fuck's sake, Quake isn't even a hard game (none of these FPS's are).

>in Blood there is always room to maneveur
No there's not. You see a cultist head on chances are you will get shot. No wind up, just an instant blast from hit scan. There are things an experienced player can do minimise this on a blind playthrough of a new mapset like moving quickly between an opening/peaking but it's not foolproof and ultimately you will take damage a lot more times unfairy in Blood mapset than in Quake.

>Quake would just spawn you in the middle and throw in a couple more medkits as if that's okay.
Quake has no enemies like cultists so that comparison doesn't work at all. And the only time something like that happens is in E1M5, and it's still possible to get through that shit without taking damage even with the Quad damage (I literally just did it on my first attempt and can post a webm if wanted). You would never be able to be spawned into a middle of a room in Blood with Cultists around you without taking damage.

Honestly it sounds to me like you're simply overwhelmed by ogres and go into panic mode, thinking that you have absolutely no chance to deal with their grenades, when it's really not hard to do at all. They have an alert sound, a wind up, their attacks are projectiles, they're easily stunned, they take two explosive hits (or 2 explosives + one quick switch to SSG which is the same time the explosives would take to kill them) to die and nailguns tear them the fuck up. Why are you such a retard? I also get the feeling that you never switch away from anything other than your SSG when it's not your primary in Quake.

>> No.5136197

>>5133939
>What would Quake in Blood's Build engine be like?
Worse.
>What would Blood in Quake's engine be like?
Better.

Blood has cool aesthetics, some neat weapons and pretty good levels. But the fact remains that the build engine is just not that good while the Quake engine is arguably the best engine ever and one of the best FPS ever made.

>> No.5136207

>>5136149
Did your mommy tell you that your health points in video games are an invaluable gift of god or something?

It's a resource. In FPS games you're meant to use that resource to make it to the end of the level. Sometimes you have to lose it in order to position yourself better, or get that weapon that gives you the upper hand.

God I can't imagine how annoying it must be to watch you play, quicksaving and loading every single time you take any damage?

>> No.5136232
File: 157 KB, 1853x503, nespleb.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5136207
>Did your mommy tell you that your health points in video games are an invaluable gift of god or something?
>It's a resource. In FPS games you're meant to use that resource to make it to the end of the level.
Your post seems more addressed to nesfag rather than me, as seen in the middle section of this post. I'm just responding to his claim of "unfair" hits in blood vs quake.

In pic related nesfag is also crying that there are three whole ogres across from him that apparently would be absolutely impossible to avoid on a first time playthrough, despite their wind up alert sound/phase and projectile attacks. "Literally impossible to dodge, nowhere to go but down," even though there is plenty of room to move back and forth on the landing platform. Ridiculous.

>> No.5136530

>>5136197
check out this mod then
>>5134184