[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.18 MB, 1200x960, alysmywaifu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5108498 No.5108498 [Reply] [Original]

So. I've been playing pic related and having a blast. Having just played more modern JRPGs (SNES and latter), the need to draw maps on a notebooks is amazing. But it has its downsides.
I'm at the part where the game opens up and tells "fuck u", the dungeons are much larger than before. And its not the size in itself that is the problem. The thing is that I can't predict how the dungeons will turnout, so I'm liable to run out of space, even at the start. I don't want to waste 1 page for each floor and have 50% of the page useless because I started drawing at the center.

So. Are there any Android software for cRPG map-making. A companion for dungeon exploring. I say Android because comfort. I'd rather not alt-tab every second.
Most programs that I've found out there are geared towards creating maps for table-top role-playing.

>> No.5108637

>>5108498
I too have just started earlier this week. So far i'm enjoying it but I also broke my wrist making map drawing a pain! Try this simple tile editor out.

https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html?mid=mp7eb16uoa6&secret=s32x3bo169h

>> No.5108649

>drawing maps
I just wander aimlessly until I reach my destination

>> No.5108657

>>5108649
I tried doing this here. I died. Than I died again. That can work when you have the items and more reliably when you have the spells that transport you to safety. But the grind would be enormous like that.

>>5108637
That's nice. It also works on my phone, albeit awkwardly. But it does have everything that I wanted such an companion to have.

>> No.5108715
File: 32 KB, 480x800, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108498
There's an android mapping program specifically for Phantasy Star 1. I used it last time I played.
My only complaint is the complete lack of any copy & paste functions means if you misalign something you can't slide a whole section over easily.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.evertree.psmaps

>> No.5108745

>>5108498
1st person dungeons with no map in RPG's is the worst trait of those old games.
There's a reason PS2 came with a bloody guide book.

>> No.5108749

>>5108715
What the fuck I love you now. Never was something as exact to what I wanted as that.

>> No.5108796

>>5108498
>the buff dude is lifting a weakass tiny skeleton while everyone else puts work

never noticed that wtf odin

>> No.5109053

Never understood mapfags. I played PS1 without maps of any sort and having to rely only on memory and sense of direction only made the experience better. The risk of getting lost in a hostile environment with dwindling resources is the perfect element to add thrill to a turn based game.

>> No.5109064

>>5108796
I always liked this artwork. The skelly is just like, "welp, fuck my unlife"

>> No.5109279

>>5109053
I did too, but I can definitely understand not being able to mentally have the entire dungeon layout in your head. Games like Wizardry are basically required to map on the more complex floors.

>> No.5109432

>>5109053
The dungeons' art design doesn't help at all. Everything looks the same. I can keep up with Metroid, but not that with the later dungeons.
Drawing maps is FUN too.

>> No.5109558

>>5108498
All dungeon levels are the same size - 14x14 grid, but you don't know where it's going to start of course.

I still remember most of the dungeon layouts because I played it so much as a kid.

>> No.5109563

>>5109432
Spoilers if you don't want to read on :

The final dungeon almost ruins the game. There is an abstract clue someone tells you very early on about secret walls. There is only one in the entire game. You know how all the walls look the same? Well, if you turn and look at one particular wall in the very final dungeon, it has a door on it. And you would never see it normally because it is not at the end of a corridor.

>> No.5109565

>>5109432
ALIS casts FLY
You cannot cast that here
NOAH casts EXIT
You cannot cast that here
You use the telepipe
It has no effect.
You use the flute
It has no effect.

That's when you start scoffing down those 20 burgers and colas you've been hording for the last few hours.

>> No.5109583
File: 4 KB, 256x192, PhantasyStar-SMS-EN-Title.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5109565
>those names
My condolences on not ever having played the game right.

>> No.5109594

>>5109563
>There is only one in the entire game
Bullshit, there's at least three. There's even a robotcop that throws you in a tiny jail with a guy who explains about secret doors and you can't leave until you learn the mechanic (or cheat by warping out). Also, that hidden door is in the dead center of a wall at a dead end at the lowest point of the dungeon so if you're snooping around where you'd expect a secret to be you're guaranteed to find it.

What fucked me was that goddamn soothsayer Damor. You absolutely need him and I was roaming the entire fucking game looking for the slightest hint of his location. I guess you're told he was "imprisoned" so from that alone you're supposed to limit your search to Baya Malay but I'm still mad. He's not even locked in the basement or the tallest tower, he's just hanging out by the stairs like you'd expect nothing to ever fucking be

>> No.5109597
File: 11 KB, 172x159, 1420555447761.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/vr/, Should i play the original version on Master System or the generations PlayStation2 remake? Same for Phantasy Star 2.

>> No.5109616

>>5109597
Neither the original English release or the remake are acceptable in this day and age. The retranslation on an emulator (or hardware) that supports FM sound is the only way to go.
>http://www.smspower.org/Translations/PhantasyStar-SMS-EN

As for PS2, there's a half arsed retranslation that doesn't do much more than fix names to be more consistant with other games but it is still a mild improvement so you might as well use it if you're emulating. As with PS1, the remake is cancer.

>> No.5109620

>>5109597
The original. Hunting down objectives in whichever order and completing them as soon as I have the materials is a ton of fun. Apparently the remake guts this and leaves behind a linear series of events you can only progress by repeatedly talking to arbitrary NPCs. I hate that shit so much I didn't touch the remake, so I can only vouch for the original being really good. I first played Phantasy 20 years late, so it's not nostalgia.

>> No.5110117
File: 2 KB, 197x208, paseopalace3.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5109594
Never knew that. I meant this one. As if you'd ever find that except by pure chance. It's not a mechanic that has been obvious throughout the game (one person mentions secret passages in a dungeon), it's not at a dead end, and the final boss is just through the door. Had to call the SEGA Hotline in Australia to solve this one back in '89.

>> No.5110450
File: 147 KB, 550x1853, FireShot Capture 003 - Phantasy Star - Dungeon Maps Scion Ca_ - http___shrines.rpgclassics.com_sms.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It felt nice when I somehow fought my way out of this pitfall trickery.

>> No.5110464

>>5109583
>Alisa
Get the fuck out of here

>> No.5110481

>>5110117
>It's not a mechanic that has been obvious throughout the game
It's a major mechanic the game went out of its way to demonstrate, and there's shops and shit behind them. It's just not mandatory to progress until the final dungeon.

>one person mentions secret passages in a dungeon
On a floor you can't leave without using one. Or warping, but since there's a chance you might not have a warp item or spell it's pretty damn obvious that's not what you're not supposed to do.

>it's not at a dead end
That floor's a dead end. It's a tiny floor in a tiny dungeon with absolutely nothing on it but the way back up. There's nowhere else to fucking go. The secret passage is even on the dead center of the wall on the furthest possible space from the door, exactly where you'd stop and look around when you didn't find the exit you were expecting.

I know that door must have been a total bitch if you were 10 but it's not something you need to warn people about.

>> No.5110796

>>5110464
>ODIN
>NOAH
>BURGER
>COLA
Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.

>> No.5111034

>>5109563
I didn't read it but you could spoiler your post, you know?

>> No.5111038

>>5110450
That one? I fell down to the basement of Medusa's tower and at the time I didn't know that doors counted as a tile in of itself, so as I mapped my way out of that hellhole, which was raping me senseless, my fucking map made no sense and I struggled to get my head around at what I was doing wrong.
I ended up just forcing my way out and not caring at all for the map, later I sat down and analyzed everything and only that thing about the doors made everything clear.
It was amazingly FUN

>> No.5112585

>>5111034
It's not a story spoiler, if you want to read it. It's essentially the solution to a not terribly complex puzzle that is not immediately obvious.

>> No.5114125

>>5109583
Dude, I played it when I was 7 years old on a Sega Master System on a 60cm CRT TV. Noone in Australia cared about FM sound or what not because we'd never heard of it. Japan was some fantasy land on the other side of the world that gave us Samurai Pizza Cats and Robotech and Sega and Nintendo. We didn't care that Lassic was Lashiec, Noah was Lutz, or that half the cryptic clues didn't make sense. This was a huge adventure. Bigger than Zelda. Dragon Quest hadn't been released. This was the biggest game Down Under had seen on console and it was amazing.

Sucks to be you. You never got to experience this as a child. Instead, you shit on people on the internet because they played a game with the "wrong" names.

>> No.5114185

>>5108498
get bigger sheets of paper

>> No.5114197

>>5114125
straya

>> No.5114485

>>5114125
>You never got to experience this as a child.
Quite the retarded assumption there m80. I did play this for the first time some time around '91. But I didn't have options then, so of course I played it the only way I could. Nowadays we do have better options and it's foolish to choose the inferior option when we know better.

>> No.5116416

>>5108498
>need to draw maps
Are you a goldfish? Would your head explode if you played something as complex as Ultima? In a pinch a spreadsheet works pretty well for mapping.

>> No.5118451

>>5116416
That's not complex at all. I've played them just fine.