[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 55 KB, 400x527, 1101991122_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5108145 No.5108145 [Reply] [Original]

>brother gets into pokemon
>sister gets into pokemon
>all their friends play pokemon
>they all watch the pokemon cartoon
>my friends get into pokemon
>decide to give it a try
>it sucks

Why the heck is pokemon so popular?

>> No.5108147

I never liked pokemon as a kid. but the older I get, the more I like pokemon. but only gen 1.

>> No.5108159

I like the simplicity of the first generation, maybe the second, too. But then it got too far ...
Today it must be for super autistic kids who can remember all the pokémons and the whole new techniques added to the games, also the new chars in the animes, it's a lot of work now. So I stick to the past and am fine with it. For me, it's part of the socialization of 90's kids, we just "know" and that's it. I tried some of the DS games on an emulator, they are very nice, but I can't relate to the chars and Pokémons. Maybe you have to be young again and feel the fascination of a "new" Pokémon game. But I couldnt live with the knowledge of missing out many Pokémons, it's too much for 10 year olds.

>> No.5108193

>>5108159
This. 1st gen was fun. I cashed out after that.

>> No.5108204

I still have my CIB pokemon blue that I bought when I was in middle school. I beat it once but honestly the games have always been a drag. It's a grindfest yet the story is bland, so why play? to collect all those damn pokemon.

I think the idea behind it is the driving force, not the content itself. leaving home at 10 to travel the land and become a pokemon master, I think that's every kid's dream.

>> No.5108209
File: 2.33 MB, 1280x920, pokestickerg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was 12 or 13 at the time it hit big in 1999.
That year I remember watching the TV series because it was on, and I mean at the time I had already watched stuff like Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell, so Pokemon seemed very dumb in comparison, however, because it was anime, it kept me curious for most of the first season. I remember laughing at the pokerap. Never cared to watch the rest of the series.
I went to see the movie at the theatre with friends. One of them fell asleep.
The games are a different story, I remember reading about this craze in Japan called Pocket Monsters in vidya magazines, I even remember asking in various game shops I used to frequent if they had it (sometimes they had imports), but they had no idea.
I also remember the very first time I saw Pikachu, it was on the newspapers, because of the Porygon episode, that was either 97 or 96.
I was interested on the game, and I got Red in early 99. It kept me hooked, but probably what made it more fun is that I had friends who were also playing.
I got Gold, by that time I was 15, and I kinda got it out of pressure from my friends (I remember one of them even lent me $10 to buy it at the store because I was short on shekels). 2nd gen was even more crazy with the different shit you'd trade with the link cable. I also remember using the infrared to exchange gifts.
But I never completed Gold. That was the last pokemon game I played.
Mainline, anyway. The Stadium games were fun and added a lot of challenge with battles, in the games I never really had to think much about strategies, but Stadium forces you to.
Anyway, best pokemon game is Snap

>> No.5108214

>>5108159
>remember all the pokémons and the whole new techniques added to the games
I don't understand why this would be a problem. You can tell what type a pokemon is just by looking at it.
I haven't played anything past gen 5, but the mechanics seem essentially the same. Anything new would be like learning any other RPG, but easier because it's pokemon.

>> No.5108217

How old are you OP? I was ten when it came out and I was reading vidya magazines and the previews looked really cool and there was real hype.
Then the games came out; I got Blue. I was hooked instantly. I still replay it from time to time. It was simple and nice.

As a matter of fact, I am currently emulating Gold on my phone.

>> No.5108228

I got gen1 in 98 and was fascinated by it, then got gen2 in 2000 and again loved it, though less so - i didn't like that it was now 251 pokemon, and that there were so many gimmicky type things added (day/night, bug catching contest). By crystal i realized they would keep adding more of the gimmicky stuff, and gen 3 confirmed that so i checked out at that point.

I would have loved a souped up gen1 with more towns, routes, secret areas and linear events, but without extra lore and mini games.

>> No.5108246
File: 28 KB, 220x354, Shin_Megami_Tensei_The_First.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>weeb friend says that if you want a really good experience with similar gameplay i should try shin megami tensei instead
>'it's like pokèmon but instead of cute little creatures you have folklore monsters, demons and deities.' he says
>'you don't have a childish story but something gritty, dark and with plenty of cues for reflection' he says
>tfw he's fucking right

>> No.5108294
File: 76 KB, 632x734, Frost_Five.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108246
>>'it's like pokèmon but instead of cute little creatures you have folklore monsters, demons and deities.' he says
Damn straight! Megaten has real monsters-ho!

>> No.5108297

>>5108294
Based Jack Frost poster. I don't even mind if you're sarcastic or not because eitherway i would suck your cock and his too

>> No.5108301 [DELETED] 

>>5108193
2nd was peak GBC kino

>> No.5108320

>>5108297
Nah I actually agree Megaten is obviously darker and has more deities and weird creatures with sexual innuendos and what not, but I like that it still has a lighteharthed side with cute demons and creatures like Jack.
Pokemon is the opposite, it's mostly cute creatures but has a couple darker monsters. Kadabra/Alakazam is straight up magic/satanic, he could be in SMT.

>> No.5108364

>>5108320
For that matter i actually agree with you anon. There are some very strange PokèDex entries indeed.

>> No.5108378

>>5108246
is the first game on SFC worth playing? if not where should I start?

>> No.5108391

The sustained popularity of pokemon with adults is weird... maybe I have the reverse of >>5108147 because I played the original games a lot. It's great to see people shamelessly playing something like pokemon but I can't imagine one of those games holding my interest today.

>> No.5108394

>>5108378
no, read the plot summary on the wiki and play the second one

>> No.5108401

>>5108391
I enjoy simple grindfests at night. It helps me relax and takes my mind of all the gay adult bullshit I normally stress over.

>> No.5108414
File: 86 KB, 416x572, robopon 64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108246
You could also fight with cute robots.

>> No.5108425

>>5108145
I really enjoyed playing Red/Blue at the time when everyone was into it, battling and trading and all that. Gen 2 was still pretty cool, but interest had mostly faded so it wasn't as much fun for playing with friends. Gen 3 and beyond was just... why.

>> No.5108460

tfw just got all Gen 1 + 2 boxed from Japan including all N64 games.

>> No.5108467

>>5108145
>Why the heck is pokemon so popular?
The same reason people try to collect fullsets.

>> No.5108685

>>5108378
Yes, it's much better than II, don't listen to >>5108394. Megami Tensei II on the Famicom / Super Famicom (remake) is legitimately one of the best retro titles in the series too.

>> No.5108702

>yeah we can trade pokemon, just talk to me after school. and would mind sitting somewhere else?

>> No.5108925

I was in late elementary school when it came out in the US. I remember watching that live action promo video with some woman saying she was Ash's aunt. My friends were really hyped for it, but I was kinda so-so on the idea at first, if I recall. As the release came closer, I became increasingly excited, watching the cartoon on UPN before the games came out. Loved the hell out of Red and the subsequent games. I still need to play OR/AS and Sun/Moon US/UM; the 3D graphics just don't appeal to me like 2D. Misty is still my #1 waifu.

>> No.5109026

The Gen 1 Pokemon games were very similar to Dragon Quest, and DQ3 was as massive in Japan as Pokemon was in America. Maybe there's something both games have in common that explains it.

>> No.5109030

>>5108145
How come the first thing people do when anything new happens is talk about how terrible/dangerous/evil it is?

>> No.5109051

>>5108159
can confirm, have an autistic cousin who knows all the pokemon by heart and added information i dont even know about 1st gen. that's great for him but i feel a bit bad sometimes, he could excel in something really well i imagine with the right encouragement

>> No.5109109

>>5109026
It’s DQ5 that shares the most. You can add monsters to your team in that one.

>> No.5109113

>>5109051
I have a 4 year-old twin niece & nephew. I'm doing my best to expose them to retro vidya, which mostly consist of myself playing such games around them when they come visit, but one thing I absolutely refuse to expose them to is pokemon. It's almost certainly in vain and they'll fall into that trap anyway, but at least I can say I had no part in it.

>> No.5109350

1st gen was a magical time. After that, pokemon became shit

>> No.5109417

>>5109030
A moral panic a day keeps the goyim at bay

>> No.5109427

>>5108301
This. Gen 2 is bestest. Perfect amount of pokemon and perfect power balance.

>> No.5109653

ITT: KANTOOOOOO
the best thing about pokemon was always the sense of adventure and atmosphere. it all went to shit with the 3ds games, with no dungeons or substance at all. unmodded gen 2 is shit btw

>> No.5109723

>>5108147
gen 1 was the only one I ever finished.

>> No.5109741 [DELETED] 
File: 9 KB, 448x368, Pokemon-E-SkyPillar(Exterior).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>anons talking smack about post-gen I when they will never experience coming across the green fuck at the top of this for the first time

fuck y'all, rayquaza > your shitty fetus cat

>> No.5110005
File: 101 KB, 278x274, Mew_machine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5109741
Rayquaza is cool and all, but Mew is THE legendary god pokemon

>> No.5110039

>>5108145
Honestly, I can't even remember why I ended up liking it at the time.
When I was around ten, a mutual friend of my brother and I had a deck of the trading card game before the series got super popular. That was the first I heard of it, but I wasn't interested at that point.
Then my brother explained the concept of Pokémon and Pokémon "trainers" to me after having watched a few episodes of the anime. All I could picture in my head was a training montage of Pikachu wearing sports gear, doing situps and rope jumps and whatnot, with a boxing trainer encouraging him. I didn't get it at all.
I guess the anime must have gotten me interested or something since I didn't have a GameBoy then. My brother did and got Pokémon Red for his birthday. Being a dumbass and not understanding the concept of a single save file, I overwrote his. At least he wasn't far, maybe right after beating Brock.
Thinking about it, that was probably my first exposure to an RPG.

>> No.5110076

>>5110039
Are you me?

I remember my brother getting Red for his birthday and getting jealous as hell. He wouldn't let me touch his game so I snuck around and started a file, deleting his in the process. Eventually I got Blue for my birthday, lost my mind in the process. Then I heard they released Gold and Silver in Japan, found an emulator, and tried playing the japanese Gold ROM. Spent so much time hyped, trying to figure out the moonspeak enough to progress in the story. That timeframe was one of my most favorites of ny dumbass youth.

>> No.5110083
File: 253 KB, 3000x1800, pokemon_sales.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108193
I went for silver but didn't complete it. Gen 1 was magical though.

>> No.5111235 [SPOILER] 
File: 2.06 MB, 498x280, 1539949057516.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108209
lol, that slowpoke is raping that team rocket grunt.

>> No.5111250

>>5108145
It was a shockingly deep rpg with a cool social aspect. I was in university when it exploded and there were people playing it constantly all over the place.

>> No.5111471

I was about 10 when Red and Blue released. I liked them a lot. I had a Blue copy that was my "main" game and a Red copy that I would repeatedly start over. I really liked the music and general aesthetics of Gen 2; sometimes I would go to the National Park and do nothing, just listening to the music.

Unlike most posters so far I maintained interest in Pokemon over the years - in fact I appreciated Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire a lot precisely because Pokemon's popularity was declining so it felt like a private, special experience. Black and White are my favorites. However I finally grew bored/disappointed with the series with X/Y and I haven't touched it since.

>> No.5111473 [DELETED] 

>>5111471
Homo

>> No.5111507

>>5111250
>I was in university when it exploded and there were people playing it constantly all over the place
So was I and the only people I knew who played Pokemon was my 8 year old cousin and his little brother.

>> No.5111550

>>5108378
No, play the iOs port

>> No.5111551

>>5108147
Exact opposite for me. Loved Gen 1 back in the day but I quickly grew out of Pokemon again. Nowadays I can't help but cringe at anyone my age enjoying this shit.

>> No.5111583

>>5108145
Because it is essentially old JRPG goodness, wrapped in a more accessible, noob friendly bow.
Instead of having your group of protagonists with their own traits and magic, you have a team of up to 6 "Main characters" that you control one (or later two) at a time. The characters you can get are all neatly wrapped up in elemental archetypes in a simple rock-paper-scissors system.
It's basically modernized oldschool final fantasy.

>> No.5111601

>>5110083
Genwunner here, the re-make editions: firered/leafgreen / heartgold/soulsilver are objectively the best games to get if you're a retro fag, because they have all the nostalgia goodness, but also update the looks and feel and most importantly the terrible combat of the original Gen1 games.
Famously, gen1 combat was fucking retarded. You could cheese so many fights, because enemies would ALWAYS use a move that's in the "super effective" category against your pokemon if they could, even if that move was some sort of status changing move that doesn't do any damage. I love the original games, I played blue to death in the 90s, but fuck me, they did need the overhaul.

>> No.5111605

>>5111583
It's more than that; unlike most JRPGs where every player will have the same party, in Pokemon no two players will have exactly the same experience. The variety of species and which 4 moves you choose for each Pokemon results in almost infinite customization. The team that a player settles on becomes an expression of their own aesthetic values, experiences, and strategy.

>> No.5111607

>>5111601
That's wrong, they won't cast sleep/paralyze you twice if you're already paralyzed/sleeping.

>> No.5111620

I grew up with Pokémon and loved it for years, but with Sun and Moon I finally stopped caring. I can’t explain why either. Just no longer cared for it. I also understand that is longer than what most people have given it

But I overall have always really enjoyed it. Gens 1 and 2 are the most “comfy” for a lot of people due to the combination of aesthetics + nostalgia. I always hear folks bashing gen 3 but I loved RSE and thought FRLG were bomb ass remakes. Also HGSS are probably the best games in the series.

>> No.5111629

>>5111583
>>5111605
this shit right here

pokemon works a lot like final fantasy and dragon quest (and D&D before them): form your party from a selection of character classes. every successful game of this type explores or plays with some facet of the basic system: in pokemon's case, it's that instead of, say, six or eight different classes, there are 151 (251, 386, etc).

this gives them a lot of room to play with really minor variations in the classes, which can be small stat or movepool changes, or even wacky shit like sableye, which at release had no type weaknesses but otherwise sucked.

and yeah, like most or even all such games, there are optimal choices, but it's fun to experiment.

oh, and you can TRADE YOUR MONSTERS WITH YOUR FRIENDS BY CONNECTING YOUR GAME BOYS, HOLY SHIT

>> No.5111630

>>5111607
Yeah I should have written "stat raising/lowering" instead of "status changing" that was an error on my part, but I'd guess most people knew that I meant that.

>>5111605
Some JRPGs kinda give you that, in what they allow you to learn in terms of talents and skills.

>> No.5111635
File: 252 KB, 511x428, 1414012877619.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5111629
>TRADE YOUR MONSTERS WITH YOUR FRIENDS

>> No.5112070
File: 17 KB, 216x215, 1539643884443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108145
ITT: OP has autism

>> No.5112084

>>5111550
If you're running anything past iOS 10 it's shadow-delisted and is likely to never ever get updated to 64-bit.

>> No.5112426

Pokémon has very solid battle mechanics, the depth doesn't really come up in the single player game but in multiplayer you can really have some fun. The more mons are added to the franchise the more options you have for team-building.

It's really the only game outside of literal card games that fills that deck-building competitive niche

>> No.5112450

>>5108145
Gen 1 was basically a jrpg for me in between FFVIII and FFIX after I had worn out Chrono Cross.
Haven't played the shit since christmas 2000.

>> No.5112460

Loved gen 1 as a kid. Quickly fell out of love once more and more pokemon were introduced. Haven't played any of the games since I was like 11. Thought about buying a Charizard figure lately because nostalgia and I collect toys. Wouldn't go any further than that with it though.

>> No.5112641

>>5108401
When you're grinding, that relaxation that you're receiving is exactly just like the relaxation of meditation. You're concentrating on something and the concentration removes yourself from what is stressing you. You should maybe look up how to do it, because meditation goes much deeper and gets much better than just relaxation.

>> No.5112664

>>5112641
Meditation is a hell of overrated

>> No.5112671

>>5112664
It's alright you think that but it's definitely not what my experience with it is.

>> No.5112673

>>5112671
Just like chrisftags think finding jesus was the deepest emotional experience of their lives. It's a scam.

>> No.5112680

>>5112673
Shit man, meditation has been scientifically verified to change the brain in positive ways, let alone just to aid in relaxation and improve your mood.

>> No.5112681

>>5112673
meditation has nothing to do with imaginary gods or magic

>> No.5112686

>>5112681
That's the thing I looked up Transcendetal Meditation and the first thing I was told was the the technique was so spiritual it could only be taught by a Buddhist Guru in person and could not be explained by text. Of course said Guru also charges a rather expensive fee for the service. How is this not a scam?

And I have my doubts about the supposedly health benefits of slowing your breathing rhythm down.

>> No.5112693

>>5112680
>, meditation has been scientifically verified to change the brain in positive ways
It's just slow breathing even a toddler can learn how to do that.

>> No.5112695

>>5112686
Transcendental Meditation is a huge fucking scam. Meditation itself is not.

All you need to do in meditation is to concentrate on something and, when your mind wanders, go back to concentrating on the object again. Most just pay attention to their breathing and they get all the benefits. That's all meditation really is.

>>5112693
>Meditation is just slow breathing

No, all it happens in the brain, not with the breath. Also: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation

>> No.5112714

>>5112686
Transcendetal Meditation is meditation in the same way that Scientology is science

Shit's not meditation

>> No.5113208

>>5111601
but do they include the 700 new dumb pokemon I don't care about? That's the main reason I play gen 1.

>> No.5113467

>>5108145
I was 8 in 1998 when it was first getting big here in the US. Most of my friends got into either the games, cards, or both. I never understood the appeal. I remember watching the show occasionally and one of my friends had his birthday party at a movie theater so we could see the first Pokemon movie when it came out.

To me, the card game was boring and a crap chute for collecting, the games were boring, and the whole lore was just not interesting to me. I spent the previous year collecting Crazy Bones in a vain attempt at outdoing my friends' collections. Also my mom tried to get me into Beanie Baby collecting circa 1996 (?) too. When Pokemon came out, I was already cynical about fad collecting shit.

>> No.5113502

>>5113208
In Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen, if the player has 60 or more Pokémon owned in the Kanto Pokédex, has rescued Lostelle from the Berry Forest and has entered the Hall of Fame, upon talking to Professor Oak in his lab in Pallet Town, he will upgrade both the player's and Blue's Pokédexes with the National Mode.

After obtaining the National Pokédex, the player can obtain Pokémon introduced in Generations II and III via trade and evolution. This allows Generation I Pokémon to evolve into their Generation II forms (such as Golbat being able to evolve into Crobat); prior to obtaining the National Pokédex, these Pokémon will try to evolve but fail. However, the player cannot trade with Pokémon Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald until they have delivered the Ruby and Sapphire to Celio in the Pokémon Network Center on One Island to put into the Network Machine.

So no, for the main game you will not encounter newmons, and I'm pretty sure after that it is all optional

>> No.5114315

>>5113502
thanks for the info, anon

>> No.5114378
File: 515 KB, 704x622, lel.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108145
>christmas time
>haven't gotten anything big
>last box
>its an electric toothbrush
>pout like a bitch because i'm spoiled
>troll dad tells me to open the box
>its a gameboy and pokemon blue
>i didn't know what pokemon or a gameboy was, parents got it for me without me asking
>play for a bit but can't figure out how to leave the starter house so i drop the game
>dad plays for a little bit and shows me you have to walk out wear the doormat is

had some pretty based parents

>> No.5115340

>>5114315
I highly recommend playing greenleaf/firered if you like the gen1 experience

>> No.5115397
File: 34 KB, 430x397, bucket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108925
>>5111471
Same here man 4th-5th grade. It was a fad that came about like Tamagotchi a few years earlier and went on to be highly successful. Was also preceded by DBZ and a few years after the Gundam fad would catch on.

This was a bit overwhelming at the time since it is part of the era when many video game legends and their franchises became firmly established.

>>5110076
I only had an N64 at the time so a Chinese friend at school told me his brother was a programmer and could copy the red version for me if I gave him a floppy disk so I gave him a red floppy disk and it happened to be in another language. At the time I did not know how to tell the difference between Japanese and Chinese so I'm not sure which it was.
Got the blue version some years later when Stadium came out to play on the transfer pak.

Last tfw going to the mall and playing Primal Rage at the arcade and afterwards parents buy you a holographic 2nd Gen card in Japanese at the card kiosk.

>> No.5115412

>>5110005
Mew is (believed to be) the common ancestor of all Pokémon. What's special about it is that it's extremely rare,not so much any godly powers that it has. It's also not a legendary Pokémon, it's a mythical Pokémon.

>> No.5115439

>>5115412
>not so much any godly powers that it has.
it can learn any technique

>> No.5115470

>>5115439
No it can't. It can't learn Crabhammer, for example.

It can learn every TM and every move tutor move, which makes it versatile but hardly godly. Smeargle (gen II) can actually learn every move, and it's neither a legendary nor a mythical or a deity.

>> No.5116413

My biggest problem with pokemon is how simple and easy it is. It's fun for a playthrough if you're completely unfamiliar with it, sure. I just can't understand how adults can play an RPG multiple times that mind-numbing easy and repetitive. All the trainers have one type of pokemon and all you have to do is match it with something that is 'effective' against it.

>> No.5116424
File: 140 KB, 207x290, 207px-Battle_Tower_C.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5116413
They should really make a battle tower challenge where you enter three pokemon to face off against seven randomized computer opponents with pokemon of varying types in a row. I'm so clever for thinking up of this never before attempted idea.

>> No.5116429
File: 16 KB, 270x187, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5116424
Scratch that, what if they make a full 3D game with various modes and let you transfer pokemon you've caught in the gameboy via a transferring accessory. They could even make Mewtwo be the final boss fight and if you beat him you unlock a second round with cpu opponents of higher difficulty level. Then they could make a sequel where one of the modes only let you use preset computer provided pokemon, we could call these mons "rental"

>> No.5116441

>>5116413
People shit on red and blue for having no post game but back in the day catching 150 shitters plus mewtwo on the mystery dungeon WAS the original post-game.

>> No.5116454
File: 54 KB, 766x581, Screenshot_2018-10-22 Red (game).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5116413
The gold and silver post game is fine, you fight red with a lvl 75 snorlax that uses full restore which was challenging enough for my kid self and crystal added the battle tower.
Outside of Nuzlocke runs all of the pokemon challenges I've seen are dreadfully tedious shit like "NO ITEMS NO POKEMON CENTER RESTART IF YOU DIE SUNKERN ONLY FINAL DESTINATION" runs which just ends up being boring not challenging. By design you can't make a JRPG challenging, you can only make it more grindy.

>> No.5116462

>>5116454
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoo_6S9D35E

>> No.5118523

>>5116413
back in the day the most fun I had with pokemon was replaying the main story with different teams. I always thought that was the series' biggest strength desu.
It always annoyed me in some gens when there was a cool pokemon that was only available late or even post game, like Houndoom in gen II.

>> No.5118538

I honestly can't fucking put my finger on the exact reason why gen 1 is so superior. Especially when my first experience with the series was gold/silver and I only played red/blue years later on an emulator and just fell in love with it so hard that to this day it's what I have most love for, despite being an unbalanced, broken mess.

>> No.5118541

>>5118538
I like it's a short game I have memorized and can beat in 3 hours with fast forward. All latter pokemon games and even romhacks seem to think that bigger = better and just keep cramming pointless stuff like cutscenes. Beating easy small challenges is fun.

>> No.5118815

>>5118538
Sometimes a lack of polish gives things a nice texture. Red and Blue were weird, janky, and felt like they were going to crash at any moment; and Red and Green were even worse; but by god they had character.

It's kinda like cartoons. The older stuff with with all the miscolorings, fucked perspectives, and awkward movement made the show feel warm and alive; but these days with all the slick CGI they just look bland and dead even if they're technically improved.

>> No.5118828

>>5110083
Pretty amazing how consistent the series has sold after the novelty wore off. The lowest number is still above 5 million sales.

>> No.5118836

>>5118815
Basically they feel more human and natural as opposed to perpetually polished corporate products.

>> No.5118847

>>5108145
>it sucks
uh no?

>> No.5120790

The employee at the R-Zone (electronic section) at my Toys R Us was cool as hell and he let me play the store's Mew giveaway Gameboy/Pokemon copy. He'd let you get as many mews as he wanted since he basically had 12 boxes full of Mews, he just told you not to trade him rattatas.

Gold/Silver comes out and I go for another Mew for my new games and he tells me "Sorry, I let a kid borrow the gameboy game and he started a new file and saved" RIP boxes of Mews.

>> No.5120810

>>5108145
gen 1 was great. gen 2 i loved mostly for being able to go back to kanto and see how the region had changed, even though there really isn't that much content there. gen 3 was alright, it was already too bloated of a pokemon pool and i was immensely disappointed that you couldn't go back to kanto or johto at the end. i didn't like how much emphasis was put on extra shit like the contests though i did think secret bases were kinda cool.

never played 'em after that really. i really think the new games would be better if they started having JUST a new set of pokemon in the game instead of bringing back all 1000 or whatever the total is up to. in the originals, catching them all felt like an attainable task, but even by gen 2 it became a "why bother" kind of deal. they'll never do this shit though, there are too many autists who have a favorite pokemon that they would riot over not getting to attain in the new game. i feel the same way about games like smash, just do an all new roster instead of remaking the same characters we've had for 4 games, retards can go back and play those games if they want to play as marth or dr. mario or whoever

>> No.5121152

>>5120810
>just do an all new roster instead of remaking the same characters we've had for 4 games, retards can go back and play those games if they want to play as marth or dr. mario or whoever
>Nintendo ever not rehashing the same characters over and over again
>Nintendo having enough fresh IPs to float new rosters for their rehash party/fighting games

lel my main man

>> No.5121162

>>5108193
This. I tried to play G/S when it came out, but the series just got oversaturated quick with this entry. Didnt even finish it. Thought for awhile that I might've just outgrew Pokemon, but I went back and played Gen 1 for the first time since I was a kid last year and it was still as good as I remembered it to be.

>> No.5121164

>>5121152
>>Nintendo having enough fresh IPs to float new rosters for their rehash party/fighting games
I am sure there might be enough characters even from old IPs to get a full roster, as long as you don't expect 40+ or anything.
K. Rool and Ridley aren't exactly new, and people have been crying for characters like Geno or Skullkid for years.
I don't know how casual audiences would react to a roster full of old characters, but smash fans would get a game like that regardless.

>> No.5121352
File: 866 KB, 1280x1280, 486Regigigas.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108214
>You can tell what type a pokemon is just by looking at it.

>> No.5122953

>>5112673
>>5112681
>>5112686
>>5112695
>>5112714
>autists shitpost as usual
>>5116454
How was that hard at all?

>> No.5123017

>>5121352
That’s obviously Robot/Christmas.

>> No.5123021

>>5108925
Dont bother. Sun/Moon is too hand holdy and I only bought OR/AS to hack legit looking mons to compete with autistic japs online.

>> No.5123026

>>5118538
You played it when you were 10 rather than some who grew up with RSE or DP.

>> No.5123029

>>5113502
>>5113208
>>5111601
Fuck I remember seeing a Taillow(Gen 3 bird pokemon) in a youtube video about leaf green and thinking it was a rom hack. Then I discovered you can trade with ruby/sapphire. Was magical for me at age 12. Also explained why the battle screen was basically a 1:1 copy of ruby/sapphire.

>> No.5123032

>>5111629
Tajiri literally wanted to make a game where you can trade stuff over the games. There was an interview where he mentioned he played DQ2, trying to grind for a magic hat and he had none as he grinded, while Sugimori had 2 hats. That's where Pokemon came about when the gameboy had connectivity. He also wanted pokemon to be sold and shit but that only happened like, once

>> No.5123034

>>5108228
>I would have loved a souped up gen1 with more towns, routes, secret areas and linear events, but without extra lore and mini games.

Thats literally Fire Red/Lead Green, you dont even see the Gen2/3 pokemon until you do a thing.

>>5113502
Funny thing is you can battle a ruby/sapphire/emerald cart right when you go to your first poke center.

>> No.5123047

Pokémon is sort of moving in the right direction where everything is becoming a bit more centralized. I mean after a while I just didn’t have it in me to keep starting over with each generation. The only way I could see myself really going back is if they just went full World of Warcraft with their approach, and just kept building onto the world. But at its core it’s still a franchise for kids, set up to exploit them.

>> No.5123054
File: 181 KB, 600x600, 600px-793Nihilego.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108214
>>5121352
Try guessing this pokemon's type by looking at it. The last gen is completely full of things like this

>> No.5123459

>>5121352
Metal/Grass
>>5123054
Ice/Ghost.

>> No.5123534
File: 108 KB, 420x420, 795Pheromosa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5123459
The jellyfish is rock and poison

Now try to guess this one

>> No.5123556
File: 16 KB, 400x564, 3FE2B469-A716-4BE2-B623-D3290F760158.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5108145
Are you describing something that happened recently? Or from 20 years ago? Either way you don’t need to like everything you sister and her friends like, your still my special little guy!

>> No.5124086

>>5121164
Nintendo caters to casual audiences above all else.

People want Link, Mario, and Pikachu again for the upteenth time.

>> No.5124095
File: 440 KB, 555x555, 1vYNZYhD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5123032
>wanted to pioneer the world of pay to win characters

I'm glad that never took off in Pokemon.

>> No.5125005

>>5123026
Nah, I was like 18 when I played gen 1 for the first time.

>> No.5125075

>>5120810
>i really think the new games would be better if they started having JUST a new set of pokemon in the game instead of bringing back all 1000 or whatever the total is up to
This is exactly what they did in Black and White - they added a completely new roster and that was all you could get before E4. Too bad the map is linear as fuck, you pretty much go from starting town to E4 with no forks in the way, just city after city, gym after gym, in a straight line.

>> No.5125093

>>5125075
It also had a really shitty story that really felt like it was written by a middle schooler trying to be deep.

>> No.5125106

>>5121352
Pimp Type

>>5123054
Condom

>>5123534
Sex/Bug