[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 104 KB, 500x323, monkeyisland.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5094247 No.5094247 [Reply] [Original]

What are some examples of point-n-click/graphic adventures that have a certain flexibility when it comes to solving the puzzles? (alternative solutions, well designed "hints", etc)

>> No.5094271
File: 84 KB, 640x400, qfg4cd_011-640x400.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Quest for Glory games.

>> No.5094345

>>5094247
I want to try the Gabriel Knight series for the first time. I'm interested in the occult/mystery setting. Any reccomendations for the original vs. 20th anniversary edition? Also, are all three games good?

>> No.5094350

Indiana Jones and the Third Crusade had a few situations that could have different outcomes. From the top of my head you could either find a flight manual and successfully fly a biplane, or you could crash it and move in a different way. This was expanded a lot in Fate of Atlantis, where they implemented three branching paths for a significant portion of the game. Those differed in location, puzzles, fights, everything.

>> No.5094352

>>5094350
>third crusade
I meant "Last Crusade", obviously.

>> No.5094357

>>5094345
It was kind of a meme that GK3 killed adventure games.

>> No.5094463

Goblins 3

>> No.5094501

Most Lucasarts games did this. Maniac Mansion had you choose two of six possible characters to accompany you through the game, and a lot of the puzzles required having a certain character in your group to solve. The game was still beatable no matter which two characters you chose due to the various overlapping results or alternate routes to take.

>> No.5094503

>>5094345
Do not play the remake, it's ugly garbage.
All three GK games are good. They're interesting because they represent a different visual style corresponding to what was in vogue for the era (with all the flaws and qualities).
First one is a beautiful 2D point & click, with some very tough puzzles, instant death and bugs. Still a must play.
Beast Within is my favorite, but it's a FMV game and a lot of people hate them. As usual with FMV game it's a bit slow and the acting is laughable but the setting and plot are great. It's not garbage like Phantasmagoria.
GK3 is the weakest and those early 3D adventure games have aged awfully (except maybe Grim Fandango). It's infamous for its dumb puzzles, but the whole thing is a bit overblown. Dumb puzzles and the genre have always walked together.

>> No.5094583

>>5094350
>>5094501
Oddly, flexibility was more common in earlier games, like Maniac Mansion and the Indy games, with later entries being more sophisticated in mostly every other way but obtuse in that respect