[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 34 KB, 172x166, sanic_wry.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5091006 No.5091006 [Reply] [Original]

Gentlemen.

In your opinion, from your usual goings-on around the youth of the world, would you say that kids today have respect and interest in classic games? I know the NES and SNES minis were a hit, as are the Genesis variations and raspberrypi's, but those really seem more like the adults doing most of the interest buying. Do the kids have any introspective interest from themselves?

Is our generation the last of a dying breed? I don't want to be the only guy that knows what DOOM is in the old-folks home.

>> No.5091027

>>5091006
Still in high school here, it's kind of hard not to have respect for the classics when one of the few good sonic games comes from the genesis era.

>> No.5091034

>>5091006
>Is our generation the last of a dying breed?
Yes. Every generation is, was and will be the last of a dying breed. Nothing will ever be the same.

>> No.5091035

>>5091027
Ha! I like you, young'in.

>> No.5091047

There will always be an interesting in the games from the 90s, because the biggest franchises got their roots from that period of time and with the wide spread of indie games that often use pixel art, people will go back to the classics.

>> No.5091048

>>5091006
So are you doing your part to preserve the history of the generations before you? Listen to Dean Marin on a regular basis? Is your room adorned with posters of all your favorite Fatty Arbuckle films?

>> No.5091052

Sort of, I think certain retro games still get promoted enough to retain popularity, Sonic's a good example as kids buy his new games and still buy and enjoy his old games when SEGA put out their bi-yearly collection. I'm pretty sure 90% of the scene for Mario 64 romhacks are underaged too and I think the same could've been said for Mario World hacks before that, I'm not sure of that appeal but it's there.

>> No.5091053

Am a kid, can confirm nobody my age gives a fuck about retro games
people bought the nes classic for mario and zelda, nobody gives a fuck about gradius

>> No.5091059

>>5091053
You're proof that at least somebody your age "gives a fuck about" gradius, also be careful, you must be 18 to post

>> No.5091061

>>5091006
Most people don't give a flying fuck about anything that came out before they were born.

>> No.5091067

>>5091061
Explain vaporwave

>> No.5091069

>>5091006
I remember playing NES stuff when other kids only cared about Halo, so I'm assuming some kids today still do the same sort of thing.

>> No.5091072

>>5091006
>>5091027
Also still in high school, nobody would be willing to play an NES game just because a few franchises originated from it. Most youths would think it's retarded to buy an NES and SNES Classic over Fortnite skins.

>> No.5091075

>>5091006
>from your usual goings-on around the youth of the world, would you say that kids today have respect and interest in classic games?

Kids today like things of today. When you were a child, did you like music from the 1950s? Some kids did, most didn't. Same with games. You can't proselytize your golden cow that's outdated by 30 years and expect the kids of today to give a flying fuck about it. Some people like old niche things, others don't. You sound desperate. We will all die someday, as will our culture and interests.

Kids are also naturally dumb and only care about what is advertised to them. They are especially susceptible to advertising. Remember wanting a pair of reebok pumps? Remember wanting nintendo cereal? Remember wanting shit from the JC Penny catalog for christmas? That's how kids are, they want what is advertised to them and I'm sorry to tell you but doom and sanic isn't what kids want.

>> No.5091087

>>5091067
>Explain vaporwave
It's like a fever dream of a 90s mall that never existed.

I was alive at the time and it's nothing like how it was, but I fucking love it. All artwork is derivative and if we had looser copyright laws, we would see more interesting entertainment. The genre is just relaxing as fuck, kind of like when you were a kid home sick from school and just got your dose of cough syrup. Comfy but kind of fucked up and unpleasant at the same time.

>> No.5091095

>>5091087

If it reminds people of anything it's probably commercials from that late 80s/early 90s period where fucking everything was using primitive 3D CG, bright colors and chirpy pop music to market something 'futuristic' to the masses. It was brief but it was definitely a phase. I like your cough syrup example though, that's probably as close as you can get in reality.

>> No.5091106

>>5091059
Eh, kid can mean high school kid, as in 18.

>> No.5091108

>>5091075
I mean, except Sonic and Doom are KINDA advertised to them, with Doom 2016 and Sonic Mania.

>> No.5091129

I don't expect them to.
I was born in 91 and my childhood was defined by NES and Sega games.
But even tho now I'm playing the gen I missed out on, (ps1, snes and n64) I don't personally care much for the older ones like Atari or c64 games.

>> No.5091148

>>5091048
Underrated post.
Why do you expect everyone to fetishize your generation the same way you do?

>> No.5091151

>>5091108
You're right, so is nintendo, but it's not "our" doom, sonic and mario, it's the new iteration. Sonic mania is probably the closest thing but I think it's more advertised to 30 somethings with disposable income.

>> No.5091164

>>5091151
I mean, you can play original Sonic games on mobile, and they lend themselves surprisingly well to touch controls.

>> No.5091167

>>5091006
At last year in High School here, folks don't really care about retro games save for arcade classics such as KoF or SF or childhood games from SNESTATION on PS2, whenever i mention to my few friends they just shrug it off and i know they don't want to hear about it, and one at least says he's heard about 'em, so yeah, it's kind of dying, but i'm doing my part and i really do enjoy them, and a lot is thanls to this board, learned a lot about "obscure" systems such as the Turbografx and Wonderswan, even that the Sega CD has good games when it's shat upon E-Celebs, so this board is amazing for me and i'm living the retro dream.

>> No.5091174

>>5091072
Yeah, but actually good sonic games.
Besides, emulating isn't very hard at all.

>> No.5091224

>>5091067
Vaporwave is a remix of the 90s we lived. It's not designed to be a historical portrayal.

>> No.5091236

30 year old boomer here. My little brother is 14 years old and is obsessed with retro gaming. All of his little retarded friends are the same way.

>> No.5091272

hot take: who cares? and why should they?

OFCOURSE older games are far better in quality and artistic merit, im not arguing against that

>> No.5091278

I was born in 92 and I remember when I learned that it didn't go from the 2600 to the NES I immediately went out of my way to figure out what I missed. Mind you there is so much that I'm still in the process of doing this. Everyone should explore the European computer scene at some point if they really like games. I bought a big history of videogames book that is still super dope and informative to me to this day. Thank God for the scholastic book fair

>> No.5091335

>>5091006
Yes, some younger people play old shit. Case in point, I'm 19.

If anything there is probably more interest now for this stuff from younger people. It's a sort of double edged sword in all honesty. If some shitty eceleb introduces a game you can expect that game to become sought out by younger people, but also for it to rise in price. In high school I would see some interest in vintage games but it was minor. For example, when pokemon go was a thing I saw a few people emulating RBY and GSC on their phones. It was funny as this wasn't just the dorks either, this included some dude bros and popular girls. Of course though as the trend died down so did their interest.

I wouldn't worry about the interest in the games dying out, I would worry more about the preservation of this shit.

>> No.5091432
File: 42 KB, 581x922, rangerloli by anon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yet another HS kiddo here. Been obssesed with retro for most of my life because I can't afford newer games. Been playing Doom on a daily basis since last year, and I just beat Quake a few weeks ago. I say retro games will be forgotten in, like, 20 years, or at least by the time all the 30 year old boomers die from diabetes or something.

>> No.5091478

>>5091006
it doesn't matter. none of this matters.
what does matter is that you better not force your kid to only play old games and not let him try anything contemporary. doing so will only alienate him from his peers.

>> No.5091493

>>5091432
>30 year old boomers
The fuck does that even mean? That's like saying teenaged geezers or geriatric infants.

>> No.5091516
File: 35 KB, 220x370, Seiken_Densetsu_3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are your favorite characters? Who do you usually have in your party?

>> No.5091530

>>5091006
I have a nephew who is actually autistic and he loves classic games about as much as I do. I have another who isn't autistic and literally the only thing he plays is Fortnite. It's just gonna depend from kid to kid but by and large most zoomers don't give a shit about old games or the history of gaming.

>> No.5091628

There’s a 14 year old zoomer at my job that really likes classic stuff. Last i saw him he told me he bought a Super Famicom (he knows i like old games too). I just said that’s cool and minded my own business.

>> No.5091651

I always, since a kid had huge respect for old games, specially the important ones fron the nes and snes era. Still play nes games even if I was born on late 90's

>> No.5091658

>>5091006
my nieces and nephews (5,6, and10) play snes and genesis they wanted a wii and my brother just told them that was the same thing. saved him a few hundred. its all they play and they don't seem to care. the oldest caught on and wants an xbox but doesn't seem to be too distraught desu.

>> No.5091739
File: 76 KB, 246x385, carl.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hated my parents 60s music as a kid because "it's old", when i grew up i realized i liked it, perhaps despite it being old i still see it as part of my childhood due to my parents. Conversely, i don't like most music out of the 30s, 40s, 50s, and neither did my parents listen to it.

Mostly these games we play are just entertainment, so none of it matters.

>> No.5091742

>>5091493
Welcome new friend.

>> No.5091749
File: 47 KB, 912x496, 1321403298001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091087
>kind of like when you were a kid home sick from school and just got your dose of cough syrup.
Good thing I'm now an adult and can drink a bottle of cough syrup every day if I want to.

>> No.5091784

You know those "le wrong generation" kids on YT music videos? There is and will be a ton of them who do the same thing for retro games.

>> No.5091813

>>5091784
Also known as hipsters.

>> No.5091829

>>5091813
Hipster is a pretty useless word in that case. Kids/teens make emotional connections to old music/art/whatever all the time, and reducing it all down to "hipsterism" is pretty hip, so fuck everything!?

>> No.5091834

>>5091432
You are retarded. None of that makes any sense at all. "diabetes or something", better than dying from your face.

>> No.5091893
File: 1 KB, 164x400, Efg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091834
Sorry bud, the teen you're replying to posts better comments than you.

>> No.5091894

in terms of underages its split between people who browse the internet and play vidya and people who browse social media and play video games

>> No.5091903

My little cousins consider the Wii retro, they're willing to play up to SNES/Genesis but that's the barrier, Atari VCS, NES/Master System are "too primitive" for them. They'll load up the classics out of curiosity but they'll say that they're hugely overrated because the difficulty is too high and the games respect you enough to figure things out on your own.

>> No.5091909
File: 888 KB, 833x931, ♡.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091903
I think SNES/genesis is the barrier for people of many ages, myself included. I'm not sure why, but i would guess that:
a) they were less punishing than earlier games
b) while still "old 2d", it was the best looking of all the 2d-generations before the 3d revolution
c) fundamental ideas about game-play were graduating, eg atari, c64 and even many NES games i've played are so abstract, and game tropes so underdeveloped that often it's hard to know what's going on. I know, "RTFM", but in a world when games teach you to play intuitivly who the fuck is going to hearken to a time where they had to study a guide to get started?

>> No.5091918

The kids want to play whatever they see us adults playing. My youngest niece (4) loves ToeJam and Earl, and the oldest boys (11 and 10) practiced like mad to try and compete with us adults on Tetris Attack and Bomberman. They'll also play the classic Mario games and whatnot. We've never exposed them to games like Metroid or Castlevania, but I'm sure they'd appreciate them. They still play more modern games than anything, but that's totally fine and to be expected.

Just like us when we were younger, kids want to have fun and will try just about anything if they see others having fun with it.

>> No.5092071

>>5091148
My generation is the only good one, obviously.

>> No.5092076

>>5091006
Controversial opinion:
Absolutely most of the "classic" games are not going to go well with the modern audience because since then the same formulas were done better, even if it was done in some indies, and not an AAA (who do not care about improving the formula).
Why waste your time on something when you can play a game that is similar but better in every way?
Very few of the classic games can hold their own against more modern analogues without the help of the rose-tinted glassses. Megaman, Sonic, Doom, Castlevania, Chrono Trigger, FF6 are one of those, but hundreds of them aren't.
The problem is there are so many ways of entertainment like books, movies and games that compete for a very limited resource that is time. It is one of those cases where supply vastly outnumbers demand.
Does your backlog of stuff to "play/watch/read later" steadily lengthens in size? Mine does.

>> No.5092118

>>5092076

"Better" is a relative and qualitative concept.

>> No.5092132

>>5092118
such sophistic argument can be made for anything, which makes that statement pointless.
Nobody would in earnest argue in favour of Bubsy 3D over Mario 64 or Jumping Flash for instance.

>> No.5092136

>>5091006
Might not. It really depends on what you want to do with it.
>poland
>friends run a museum
>got 3rd/4th/5th generation consoles available to play + some 8bit computers / pinball / freeplay arcades
>rare stuff being on display only
>visitor consists of families

Well that's one way to encourage people to play with.

>> No.5092150

>>5092132

Can you "prove" Mario 64 is better than Bubsy 3D without resorting to the argumentum ad populum fallacy? Such as it is, there is no such thing as an objectively good game. It's ultimately all opinion. You argue that such an obvious example of Bubsy 3D being worse than Mario 64 is such a common sensical claim, no "proof" should be needed, but there's someone out there who indeed enjoys Bubsy 3D more than Mario 64, so you can't anoint it as "fact."

And many here would disagree that modern games do classic formulas "better." And it has nothing to do with nostalgia.

>> No.5092151

>>5092150
>You argue that such an obvious example

*You can argue

>> No.5092169

>>5092150
>Such as it is, there is no such thing as an objectively good game. It's ultimately all opinion. You argue that such an obvious example of Bubsy 3D being worse than Mario 64 is such a common sensical claim, no "proof" should be needed, but there's someone out there who indeed enjoys Bubsy 3D more than Mario 64, so you can't anoint it as "fact."

This is an opinion of an illiterate sophist that does not know how criticism works.
Every single component of a game can be analysed and compared to same component of both its contemporaries and an idealised image of said component, that is a critical process during which an objective quality is measured, and it is the same for literally anything, and that what is called an objective criticism.

>> No.5092178

>>5092150
>there is no such thing as an objectively good game
so all games are shit then? ok

>> No.5092185

>>5091006
>our generation
Wew lad. There are probably still a few boomers here and you're probably gen z. Todays kids are just jumping on the bandwagon of a trend started by millennials, which is probably what your parents are.
But not everyone in every generation is the same, as much as it might seem like it. I know many preteens who love old games. They like the challenge and the face to face interaction and competition missing in so many modern games. You'd shit and jizz yourself if you saw one of my gaming parties where 4 generations come together and play everything from warlords to the latest smash.
But for the most part the latest two generations feign interest in old game for hipster creddit.

>> No.5092198

>>5092169
>idealised image of said component,

Lol. I don't think you understand how criticism "works." Any critique is very much bound to the opinion of the critic. You talk of "idealized" components. Yeah? Where are they? Where do they exist in objective reality? Who decides what an idealized component looks like? We know the "idealized" result of hydrogen + oxygen is h2o, so any claim that two hydrogen atoms plus a single oxygen results in something else indeed runs contrary to the objective reality of that example, which rooted in empirical fact. So where do these "good game" components exist that can be used as an empirical foundation to "objectively" value a game (or any piece of art)?

Sure, there's certain aspects of games we can intuitively gauge as "objectively good," namely controls (and other technical aspects of games). A game that has your player reacting too late to your inputs is obviously a detriment. Camera problems in 3D games. Bad collision detection. Slow down. But even then, you still can't really quantify anything because other aspects of the game might rescue the game from its technical issues. Like Mario 64 with its known camera issues. You might try to argue that, say, Galaxy is inherently better because it's not plagued with those issues (not that I remember), but someone could say they prefer 64's level design, art design, combat, etc over Galaxy's, which is why your claim that modern games "have improved upon older formulas in every way" is incoherent. But go ahead, feel free to "prove" one design element is objectively better than another.

But perhaps we're talking past each other. It the "idealized components" you're referring to are of the technical variety (tightness/responsiveness of controls, gltiches, etc), then I'm in agreement to an extent. Obviously poor collision detection that results in an unfair death in "objectively bad."

>> No.5092202

>>5092198
>It the

*If the

>> No.5092204

>>5092150
Such arguments are easily twisted (same as you do with mine). This is called sophism and is rather pointless.
There are certainly people out there who enjoy eating shit. It is called coprophagia.
Following your example it can be argued that our regular everyday food can not be considered strictly better than shit, because there exists a small group of poeple who love eating shit.

Also learn to fucking read I didnt say anything about "modern games" do classic formulas better. I said that "since then" they were made better. Games from a decade ago are not really modern

>> No.5092238

>>5092204
>Such arguments are easily twisted (same as you do with mine). This is called sophism and is rather pointless.

I haven't twisted anything you said. Your claim:

>Why waste your time on something when you can play a game that is similar but better in every way?
>since then the same formulas were done better.

Yes, you did say modern games do classic formulas better, in plain English. "Since then" still implies the newer is superceding the older.

The shit eating is a terrible analogy. Eating shit is "objectively bad" because it likely doesn't provide the nutrional value someone needs to survive. It'll probably make you sick. Etc, etc. Eating shit results in similar outcomes for all of us (immune system differences aside). Playing a video game doesn't result in the same outcomes for everyone. Some might have fun, some might not. But everyone who commits strictly to a diet of fecal matter starves to death just the same.

I know this is 4chan, and winning arguments means everything, but sorry, you don't have any logical ground here. And you know it. You can't "prove" one level design choice is "objectively superior" to another. It's impossible. But if you insist on being stubborn, please clearly define for me what "idealized" level design looks like. Or an "idealized" combat system. And yes, your entire argument hinges on these "idealized" elements being measurable and tangible, since your claim is that there exists objectively good/better/best games.

>> No.5092258

>>5092238
Not the guy you're arguing with, and obviously in an absolute sense you're correct, but you're also arguing a technicality - i can't tell you what good level design is but there is, intuitively, fun and engaging design, perhaps time is the best test.

>> No.5092394

Most games from the late 90s and early 00s, where franchises came to their very top and new ideas sprung will be remembered like the early years of cinema, but very few will actually be played.

Some age fine for sure, but most will fade way its life.

Its not really important that they survive, the ideas they represent must survive and evolve.

>> No.5092398

>>5091006
Who cares? It's only kiddiewinkies missing out. If anyone still has a brain in the future they'll figure shit out for themselves.

>> No.5092408

>>5092204

hurr hurr if it's newer it must be objectively better in every way hurr hurr if you don't agree with me then muh rose-tinted glasses hurr hurr "it hasn't aged well" hurr hurr hurr so smart so original hurr hurr

>> No.5092726

>>5091006
I guess I was kid once. I got into retro cause of emulation. Free games are sweet when you're 11.

>> No.5092797
File: 10 KB, 369x300, huhfuckinghuh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's all about Forknife now, it's what all the kiddoes at school talk about, but you all probably already knew that. Would be cool if some "retro-styled" game were to catch the attention of the kiddies. Doom 4 didn't quite do it
>>5091493
>>5091834
lol

>> No.5092972

>>5091651
>Still play nes games even if I was born on late 90's

See, IMO that's still prime real estate for retro fans. A lot of kids that age played on dad's old nes or snes. My niece and nephew are that age and rocked an nes until they got a playstation 2 when they were about 12 years old or so.

>>5091628
Just a tip, talk a bit about classics with him, you might be able to trade duplicate games if you ever get any. I don't collect, but sometimes it's the same price to buy a lot with a game you want as opposed to buying it individually. You might get duplicates or games you don't care much about. Having a friend or acquaintance that is into retro is a really cheap way to get games without resorting to ebay prices.
>>5091739
>perhaps despite it being old i still see it as part of my childhood due to my parents.

>>5091739
>i still see it as part of my childhood due to my parents.
My parents were huge elvis fans, I'm not the biggest elvis fan, but hearing it definitely gives me nostalgia.

>>5091749
>now an adult and can drink a bottle of cough syrup every day if I want to.
Gotta respec dat lean.

>> No.5092973

It depends on the kids. I work with some kids that love Fortnite They also loved Pubg before that and/or whatever big release is coming out next, but that's the same story with most older people too. There are still kids that love playing older games though, just as there are still adults that love playing it as well.

>> No.5093001

>>5091006
kek most vr people here have not even seriously played 200 snes or playstation games. Ff you have not seriously played at least 1000 titles you are not qualified to talk about classics or equivalent topics.

>> No.5093076

>>5091006
From what I've observed from the few teens I know, retro games are like classic movies to some. There are definitely fans and those interested out there. Some are into it because a favorite YouTuber got them in, because they have memories of playing with their parents and came to love them (remember this /vr/, play games with your children), they came into them from the Virtual Console, or for some other reason like tripping over an emulator and actually having fun.

I think I feel good about the future of retro games when it comes to the next generation, I don't see it dying off.

>> No.5093101
File: 3.31 MB, 342x183, idunno.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091478
I've brought this up to my wife who's been dying to show our son 80's and 90's films and animated shows. Other than Disney and maybe SpongeBob, I'm not hip to that shit.
No kid needs to be the only one out. I've been collecting current cartoons into a Plex server for him.
Though you do have to wonder how many kids WILL be like this due to parents with feces for brains.

>> No.5093129
File: 221 KB, 458x439, bradley_uppercrust_III.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5092973
Most of my gamer friends are like this. They play whatever the newest memeshit game is and literally nothing else. I can't get anyone to play anything retro with or without me. No one really gives a shit.
The snesmini and nesmini were an interesting development though. I'd almost say they were more popular as gifts than things people were interested for themselves.

>> No.5093176

>>5092797
Undertale, Sonic Mania, and Hollow Knight are popular with kids

>> No.5093561

I think there's always going to be the classic staples that are easily accessible like Mario 3 that people will get into. Whoever has any further interest will dig deeper from there. We should be focusing on building archives of retro stuff desu.

>> No.5093753

>>5092972
Yeah, we have traded some stuff. Gave him Paperboy and Contra for Zelda 2, for example

>> No.5093756

>>5091006
no one deserves to play old games, they should have to put in more effort just to find them

>> No.5093768

>>5091006
I think kids that really take vidya seriously as a hobby will play them. Hell I know 20 year olds that watch old black and white movies.
I would assume at least 20% of zoomers have played Super Mario Brothers 1.

>> No.5093958

>>5093101
Building character isn't easy but it pays dividends.

>> No.5094816

every younger generation has a minority who will go back and play the games that came before them
the generation before you asked the same question of you when you were a youth
the youth of today, in 2030 or whatever will be wondering if the kids then have an appreciation for the classics

>> No.5094852

>>5093768
This is basically my opinion on it, there's always going to be a small but active group of people who're super into games in general who'll go back and revisit old stuff out of sheer interest and some of the accessible or just excellent titles like SMW will spread somewhat through them into the more casual audience. 16 bit era will probably be the big cutoff point with a few people moving from there into the prominent and also excellent 8 bit titles like Ninja Gaiden or w/e

80s era PC games and pre-NES will remain where it is now, the domain of historians and collectors who appreciate the games and hardware as museum pieces and not purely for their entertainment value

>> No.5095003

>>5091027
>>5091072
>>5091053
>>5091167
>>5091432
Since when is blatant underage posting allowed on 4chan?

>> No.5095010

>>5095003
since it was made by one, newfriend

>> No.5095031

>>5095003
You can get held back a few years in school if you're retarded. I think mine had an age limit of 22 or 23 before they kicked you out.

>> No.5095034 [DELETED] 
File: 596 KB, 845x1024, Nintendo_Game_Boy_1024x1024.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm 14 and i think old classics are better than some of the games today.

>> No.5095040

>>5095034
>is 14
MODS UNDERAGE B&

>> No.5095062

>>5091006
>In your opinion, from your usual goings-on around the youth of the world, would you say that kids today have respect and interest in classic games?
What do you think?
https://youtu.be/l6cCC2WV5GU

>> No.5095065

>>5091006
In my experience, the 'zoomers' are all about graphics. All that I have met and asked about games, they don't all play fortnite, but none of them will touch anything before the current gen.

>> No.5095172

>>5095034
Are you buying a super famicom by any chance?

>> No.5095213

>>5095065
depends on the person I guess. I have some zoomer relatives who love Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns and RTS games.

>> No.5095887
File: 80 KB, 657x539, 1527980995103.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5092150

>> No.5096105

>>5091006
Whenever my goddaughter comes over I give her a Sega Mega Drive with the best games to play.

>> No.5096118
File: 1016 KB, 1890x992, Screenshot_20180904-031054_Hulu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091034
Can't wait until this board is discussing Angry Birds with rose-tinted goggles with autists arguing about whether Rio or Star Wars was the best spin off.

>> No.5096149

"classic" changes for every medium. today's "film lovers" aren't even watching griffith past intolerance and birth.

>> No.5096152

>>5096118
>thinking it will be this board
we aren't on usenet anon

>> No.5097196
File: 170 KB, 500x386, IMG_1758.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5091167
18 yo checking in, me and my friends love to reminisce about the old 6th gen games we played. I don't think interest with retro games will ever really die with kids because there will always be a SammyClassicSonicFan out there who loves the classics. Hell when I was younger most of the games I played were Sega and Nintendo rereleases and compilations. The Sega/Sonic compilations have always been popular too.

>> No.5097206
File: 156 KB, 800x584, 1531989000809.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5097196
>tfw you were 9 when I used 4chan without being underage for the first time
Leave here, leave while you still have hope.

>> No.5097226

>>5097206
He's already here forever.

>> No.5097557

>>5097206
>tfw i was 40 when you used 4chan for the first time
There is no escape

>> No.5097640

>>5091006
People will always have an interest in new things. Video games are a relatively new medium compared to stuff like film, and even that was derived from theater plays. I think that while the games may be forgotten, the era won't, if you catch my drift. Early video games through the 70s and 80s was the "silent film" era, plenty of classics, and plenty of shit was produced, and so on and so forth.
There's plenty of people who remember or regularly watch silent films, or people who just appreciate them while only enjoying the good ones. I don't think the games themselves will ever go away due to piracy and other stuff either, but I am sure that if some catastrophic event happens and all video games pre 2010 are wiped off the planet in every form, people will still remember the influence and style of the games.

>> No.5099552

>>5097196
>18
>having nostalgia
no
just no

>> No.5099630

>>5099552
I have nostalgia for when the average age of /vr/ was 18. It's about 12 now.

>> No.5099648

Are you playing Chainmail while listening to a classic rock station on AM radio, with plans to beat off to Lynda Carter before bed? No? Then fuck off with this "muh childhood should be yur childhood" shit.

>> No.5099658

It's not much of a good idea to be honest about your age on here. It's best to pretend you're above the posting age and blame the young ones for destroying the industry when in reality it's still you millenials and """Gen Xers""" ruining the industry by being the ones who are making the modern trash in your cozy little EA and Google offices.

>> No.5099781

>>5091006
Video games are no different from any other media, your question has already been answered by this phenomenon happening in books, television, comics, film, music, ect.
Normies are dumb sheep and they are always going to focus on anything "new", only the autists will care about old shit.

>> No.5099812

>>5091087
Vaporwave reminds me more of a nice spring day with the windows open, playing vidya.

>> No.5100158

Im 18 and grew up emulating a bunch of stuff since it was cheaper than buying new games, and i dont doubt that theres more like me. That said most people stick to the popular stuff like fortnite, especially in primary/highschool.