[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 297 KB, 271x208, 1333138325537.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
506484 No.506484 [Reply] [Original]

One day, the last CRT will break down.
One day, the last C64 will have beeped its last chiptune.
One day, the last working controller for the NES will have lost its functionality.

How will you cope when that happens? The irreversible death of one of the crucial components for retro gaming will inevitably happen. Will we then crowdsource a retro gaming TV on kickstartr?

>> No.506489

You know all of those things can be fixed or more can be made.

>> No.506510

>>506489
I don't think you get it

>> No.506516

>>506510

Evidently I don't. Could you explain it?

>> No.506539

>>506484
>How will you cope when that happens?
With luxury reproductions of said items.
Or get into the business of making mad dosh in creating accurate reproductions.

>> No.506551

>muh autisms
>I simply can't accept a Nintendo® product without Yoshimoto's® praise upon it.

People will make more, and eventually someone will make a good one.

>> No.506560

>>506484
if my crt breaks I'll just fix it. if my nes controller stops working I'll get a new one.

>> No.506559

Who gives a shit. 3D printing will solve all of this anyway. People will be making replica NES controllers based on the exact same infrastructure and using the exact same materials/colors. They will be indistinguishable from the official ones made in 1987.

>> No.506576

>>506559
If 3D printing is so great, why hasn't the entire manufacturing industry jumped on it?

>> No.506610

>>506510
I get that you are a faggot
The consoles will outlive you, and more TVs can be made.

>> No.506627

>>506576

Many reasons:

1.- Licensing fees. Reproduction or not, if you're mass producing these and selling for profit, you still need permission from whoever holds the rights to whatever game your selling.

2.- Niche market. Despite the extraordinary prices overrated games go for online and on specific market stalls, there isn't much guarantee your endeavour will succeed when people opt for convenience most of the time (emulation on phones, Virtual Console, etc.)

3.- Hardware life-expectancy. We haven't met the minimum time criteria in which old media started malfunction en masse at the same time that there's suddenly a market out there to satisfy with reproductions. People will always fallback on emulation if anything fails.

4.- Selling price. Aside from the timeless classics which are always in high demand, I cannot find of a viable way for anyone to seriously compete with reproductions against the price of used games.

>> No.506643

Stuff like this is why I wish someone would sit down with a bunch of funds and reverse engineer a bunch of old shit.
Preferably the Gameboy DMG-01 first, since schematics are already available on freeinfosociety.

>> No.506649

>>506627

Licensing is probably going to be the biggest problem given how big companies tend to sit on unused licenses for decades.

>> No.506663

sony made the greatest CRTs. i doubt anyone else even today could top the trinitron tube system. besides the rare enthusiast, there isn't really a market for CRTs anymore

as for the other things...it would be nice if one day 3D printers could reproduce old controllers and console shells

>> No.506672

>>506576
Because wait 10 more years you nigger

>> No.506707

I get licensing and all, but it really baffles me that no one can just sit down and build their own N64 or something.

With the widespread availability of flash memory, I think it would be really cool if a company created a new cartridge based game console. They would have the limitations that older ones did. I really believe CD based games will never be as popular or hold as much value as cartridge based games. Is that incredibly hipster of me?

>> No.506740

One day, the last human will be born.

>> No.506893

>>506649
yup.
thanks walt, you ruined everything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

>> No.508547

>>506707
pretty much yeah.

>> No.508574

Come on. This is foolish. These things are patented. Patents expire and then the info becomes public domain. It's not like they can never be made again. We'll make cheap ones in the future. As many as needed. And we'll use 3D printers to do it.

>> No.508616

they already make cheap NES controllers OP
I have one, it's the same as the real thing but the dpad doesn't have the ball in it so you can press the whole thing down.

>> No.508627

>>508616
And when that breaks down? What then?

>> No.508664

I think OP is referring to the eventuality that hundreds if not thousands of years down the line that the retro systems that we hold near and dear will one day die out, and nothing but records of the systems will exist in some annals of ancient technology.

>> No.508667

>>508627
As long as factories exist in China, there will be more.

>> No.508690

We just fix it. The shit ain't rocket science. And if it was, we'd have people capable of doing it anyway.

>> No.508746

>One day, the last CRT will break down.
Good thing HDTVs don't suck with displaying SD pixel art to the same extent that they suck with displaying SD polygons.

>One day, the last working controller for the NES will have lost its functionality.
I like how the NES itself will continue to live on.

>> No.508751

>>508667
>Implying that China will keep making NES controllers.
>Implying that China will keep making cheap products.

>> No.508765

And by the time this happens, we will have accurate emulation of said systems.

>> No.508779

>>508765
>accurate emulation
>implying this is possible
ahahhhhahahaha
*gasp*
hahhahhahahhaha

>> No.508825

CRT's are still being made
there are more C64's than NES's
Retrocon.

How will I cope? by learning how to repair/build new consoles. Not sure if you've ever looked inside an NES, but they're amazingly simple. I can pick up about 70% of the parts required at a radio shack, and resin cast/3D print the other 30%.

>> No.508815

One day, scanning backlight LCDs will reach CRT quality.

Right now, SID emulation is indistinguishable from real hardware (note that SID chips are partly analog so even real SIDs don't sound like other SIDs):
https://bel.fi/alankila/c64-sw/

Right now, the NES controller protocol is fully documented and simply enough that any idiot can replace the electronics with a microcontroller:
http://www.mit.edu/~tarvizo/nes-controller.html

>> No.508841

>>508815
>SID emulation is indistinguishable from real hardware
ok i doubt that. all emulation is flawed some small amount. i read an article on it. it is literally impossible to emulate 100%. thats basic science.

>> No.508853

>>508779
I swear to god, the fuckers in this board that constantly bitch about emulation are just as bad as the /v/ fuckers who keep making threads about xbox vs ps3 and feminism.

>> No.508847

>>506627
You missed the real reason 3D printing is niche: because it's very slow. You'd need a ridiculously large farm of 3D printers if you wanted to use them for mass production.

>> No.508862

>>508853

Just sage/ignore and move on. You're an adult.

>> No.508864

>>506484
>With emulation.

>> No.508882

>>508841
Higan is 100% cycle level accurate. The only thing it doesn't emulate is glitches caused by running the hardware out of spec.

JSIDPlay2 sounds like a real SID chip, and you can even measure a real SID chip is you want it to sound like a specific chip (they all sound slightly different).

>> No.508907

>>508882
just because it looks the same for most games and sounds the same for most games does NOT mean it is 100% accurate sorry. why bother if it has flaws? oh and protip: it will always have flaws.

>> No.508919
File: 4 KB, 200x167, amstrad.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Amstrad CPC is still enduring.

Z80 rulez!!!

Also emulation.

>> No.508930

>>508907
List a game where latest Higan (accuracy version) looks or sounds different than the same game on an unmodified SNES running with correct power supply voltage.

>> No.508957

>>508825
>CRT's are still being made
No they're not except a handful of high-end TV studio displays
>there are more C64's than NESes
About 18 million C64s vs 61 million NESes

>> No.508967

>>508930
ok i don't play games on shitty ripoff roms and warez so i don't know any exact names for you. get a life and stop trying to prove that you know what your talking about by using lingo. its a scientific fact that emulation is never 100% accurate. don't trust me? check google dipshit.

>> No.508997
File: 90 KB, 450x300, d444.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jay Leno's wheels are way way way way older than any game console. Doesn't stop him.

>> No.509015

>>508967

I understand your intimidation (to a certain extent), but for the love of god DO NOT show people your weakness like that, lest you become a target for trolls and the like.

If you don't know shit about emulation, you best be learnin', as it's almost a standard to this board to be familiarized with this concept.

It isn't a "scientific fact". It's more akin to "common sense". Emulation can only be oh so accurate, and absolute true fidelity can really never be attained.

>> No.509019

>>508997
How many cars does that mofo have? It's like he's got one from every decade going back to horseless carriages.

>> No.509027

>>508967
>citing google as a source
>talking about shit you don't even use
emulation is fine, and those shitty ripoff roms are ripped from actual carts you faggot
it's the same fucking thing

>> No.509047

>>509015
In the case of digital devices, "cycle accurate" literally is perfectly accurate emulation of the device under normal operating conditions. You're not a circuit-bending hipster so you don't care about abnormal operating conditions.

In the case of analog devices, "perfectly accurate" is meaningless, but you can achieve "statistically indistinguishable from real hardware".

>> No.509062

>>508853

I know
Emulation is actually really good for a lot of consoles
Just need an appropriate controller for dat feel

At least that's how I'm currently preparing for the "bloo bloo bloo entropy" problem

>> No.509096

>>508847
>>506627

Well, that and the fact that the production costs and quality are not comparable to traditionally manufactured parts yet.
The only real benefit of 3D printing as of now is extreme versatility, which isn't important at all in mass production, as the name implies.

>> No.509098

>>508967
Will it one day be possible to get close enough in emulation to play Punch Out with a small enough amount of lag to be able to fight Tyson?

I don't need 100% accuracy, but if I can get 99.99% I'd take it.

>> No.509101

>>509019
A lot. He collects them.