[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.29 MB, 2480x3508, Metroid II.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
505656 No.505656 [Reply] [Original]

So what do you guys think of Metroid 2? I tried playing it today but everything just felt really barren and linear. There were way too many empty paths/corridors.

>> No.505662

this was the best thing about metroid 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4CjRMJtHI

>> No.505680

it's pretty great after playing Metroid

>> No.505683

Its also zoomed in way too far
Makes it hard to play

>> No.505708

Eh, I skipped it. Had the same complaints as OP, plus it felt too slow-paced compared to even the original NES Metroid. Maybe it was good for it's time, or good in the eyes of a loyal Metroid fan, but I don't think it's as "accesible" to other players.

>> No.505724

It's good, but it's the only game in the series that hasn't been officially modernised.

AM2R is coming though, so I'm looking forward to that.

>> No.505737

>>505734
Aye.

After playing Super, Zero Mission and Fusion, going back to Metroid II tends to leave me feeling empty.

>> No.505734

>>505724
Modernised as in what? Remade or something?

>> No.505760

I loved it as a kid but I doubt I'd be able to get into it if I replayed it now.

>> No.506676

>>505656
I got a cart for Game boy yesterday funnily enough.

I'd say it's okay, kind of overshadowed by the fact I got fusion on the same day though. It's bad but it'd benefit so much more from being modernised.

>> No.506679

>>506676

I actually meant to put good not bad...

>> No.506731
File: 66 KB, 391x364, 1342588932441.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>505662
A commercial that spews bullshit about the simple plot of the game and shows you the final boss in great detail was the best thing about this game ?

>> No.506748

It's a great game, unfortunately under-appreciated by casual retro kiddies who only like newer casualized Metroid games like Super Metroid rather than the older titles.

>> No.506756

>>506748
>under-appreciated by casual retro kiddies who only like newer casualized Metroid games like Super Metroid
Trying too hard

>> No.506765

I still love the first game, but I can't manage to replay the second one.

>>506748
Calling the best game in the series a casualized version means you are surely a pro gamer!

>> No.506776

>>506765
No, using retarded /v/ and leddit slang like "casual retro kiddy" and "casualized games" makes you super MLG pro!

>> No.506780

>>506765
>Super Metroid
>Best game

Just curious, is this including the Prime saga? In that case, I guess I'd agree. I love SM but the wall jump drives me nuts. Fusion is fantastic but its WAY too linear. I guess SM and Zero Mission would be the best IMO.

>> No.506781

>>506765
I'm not calling Super Metroid a bad game, just casual. Being good and being casual are not mutually exclusive.

>> No.506783

>>506765
Super Metroid copied everything from Metroid 1 and 2.

>> No.506789

>>506748

>Be 12 in 2005
>Find out Metroid 2 exists
>Excited to play a new Metroid game that I never found out about

>Love it

>> No.506798

>>506783

Donkey Kong Country 2 copied Donkey Kong Country 1.
Ocarina of Time copied zelda games before it.
Mario Bros. 3 copied Mario Bros.

What's your point? It's a sequel

>> No.506809 [DELETED] 

>>506798
It's not a very good game if it has to copy everything else from previous titles.

actually, i dont have a point. i was trolling you.

>> No.506828 [DELETED] 

>>506809
This is possibly one of the most cringeworthy posts I've ever read. Why is 4chan so shitty now?

>> No.506830

>>506781
Well, in that case you'll be happy to know that, from my personal experience, casuals usually don't get past the first trip in norfair, or the boss in sector 4 in fusion.
There isn't that much of difficulty variation between metroid games.
Right now the only ones that come to my mind for being harder are the original game, and prime 2. Oh, and fusion in a few areas.

>> No.506839 [DELETED] 

>>506809
Why?
Shouldn't we keep this place better then /v/?

>> No.506843

>>506830
Yeah seriously, the original Metroid was barely even "Nintendo hard" to begin with. But I think his point was that the games after Metroid 1 and 2 are more accesible to people who arent big on retro games since they've aged really well.

>> No.506850 [DELETED] 

>>506839
Just report the retarded reditors. Shitposting is a bannable offense now.

>> No.506858

>>506843
The problem with the first two games is - there is no map.

I mean, I drew my own map on paper for the first one which was kinda fun.

But without map everything looks the same, which is kinda boring.

>> No.506859 [DELETED] 

>>506850
>people that have controversial opinions should be banned! we shall label these opinions shitposting

>> No.506865 [DELETED] 

>>506859
>lol jk i was trolling
Please tell me how that is even an opinion at all, it's a fucking statement.

>> No.508368

The only things that make Metroid 1 even remotely difficult are the fact that you have to grind for health after every reload (which isn't even "difficulty" so much as pointless tedium) and the fact that enemies could follow you through doors, hitting you when you're completely defenseless.

Other than that it wasn't any harder than Super. Easier, in fact, since Ridley and Kraid are complete jokes in Metroid 1 whereas a newbie to Super can be expected to die to them a few times before getting the hang of it. Not to mention the new bosses Phantoon and Draygon are incredibly difficult if you don't know the trick to them.

>> No.508387

I think Metroid 1 is garbage

I don't understand why people think its better than 2

at least every fucking area doesn't look the same and you can actually shoot stuff

>> No.508549

>>506798
Dragon Ball Z is the Sequel Series of Dragon Ball

It barely has to do anything with the original plot.

Yet everybody likes DBZ's mindless shit more.

Dragon Balls goes under appreciated.

>> No.508558

>>508549

I was the only person growing up that hated DBZ.

I fucking loved the original Dragon Ball so much more.

>> No.508648

>>508558
My nigga

>> No.508689

I found Metroid II to be far better designed than the original Metroid.
The maps were a bit linear, for the most part you had the main passageway that guides you to levels, which are open areas with a set number of Metroids to terminate and a key upgrade to acquire, you can still get lost but not in the hopeless ways that happen in the original Metroid.

NES Metroid had this horrible way of recycling entire screens, like when exploring Norfair and encountering the same missile expansion on top of a pedestal at least 5 times, often twice in a row, as well as various vertical passages. You quickly lose track of which identical looking room you're standing in.

Having played the original NES Metroid recently, one thing in particular stuck out to me about the game's opening. You can quickly end up travelling in multiple which ways which lead to dead ends, with three missile doors at the end of long treks available before finding the first missile pack.
Super Metroid knew this was a problem and put the first missile pack in your hands before letting you get near a red door, let alone enemies.

>> No.510087

>>505662
i remember this

>> No.510201

I dig the enhancements over the first game, like the spider ball and Samus's redesign, and the "eradication" model of progression is pretty neat, but this really could have stood to be a home title rather than a portable one. I still think the original is not only better than II, but my favorite in the series overall.

Fuck, now I want to pick up Super Metroid again. Excuse me.

Also, video relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJlSqbFa5M