[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 128 KB, 461x252, saturn.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5039256 No.5039256 [Reply] [Original]

the words"arcade perfect" are usually thrown around loosely. What are some truly arcade perfect ports on the Saturn? I don't care if the menus aren't the same or if there are infrequent load times, but the sound and game play have to be intact to make the cut. Ones I can think of

>radiant silvergun
>puzzle bobble 2 arcade edition
>Gradius collection

>> No.5039259

>>5039256
DodnPachi
Every KOF released on the console
Bomberman
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Cop
Daytona USA

since you seem to like the saturn maybe you could enlighten me: I have bought myself a PAL saturn 3 weeks ago along with a saturn 4in1 action replay (to play import shit). Any must have games? I bought sonic R for 30€ and aside the top-tier ost, the game is utter shit.

>> No.5039310

>>5039259
>DodnPachi
fucking behave yourself, it's not even close and similar to psx is actually broken with certain game chains not being possible on the ports due to the timing being wrong.

>Daytona USA
lmao, no.

>>5039256
street fighter alpha 2 and particularly 3 are very accurate ports, 3 is still one of the best ports of alpha 3 ever made.
battle garegga lacks some irrelevant slowdown but is a great port
hanagumi taisen columns is perfect
soukyugurentai is perfect
outrun is actually superior on saturn (arcade 30fps saturn 60fps)
metal blacks perfect
virtua fighter 2 is decent
last bronx is decent

plenty im forgetting for sure.

>> No.5039328

>>5039259
If you can handle it I say go all in and flash your AR with a Pesdo Saturn. It opens up a lot more for you without having to pay outright.
Ideal games that have aged between well to great that are not fighters:
Guardian Heroes
D&D collection
Afterburner 2
Leynos 2
Nights
Dragon Force

As for fighters I recommend looking at the more odder ones that are playable/not total garbage like Astra Superstars, Groove on Fight, Waka Waka 7 and Galaxy Fight.

>> No.5039338

>>5039310
>outrun is actually superior on saturn (arcade 30fps saturn 60fps)
Shit, between this and Shining the Holy Ark I might want a Saturn now...

>> No.5039347

>>5039310
Wow good post. Seems like you really know your shit on this topic

>> No.5039391

>>5039256
>arcade perfect
No such thing my man

>> No.5039397
File: 266 KB, 1000x1000, Vampire_Savior_SS_A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5039426
File: 135 KB, 640x543, sega-saturn-twinkle-star-sprites.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5039256
Twinkle Star sprites not only has an arcade perfect version but also its exclusive saturn version with extra characters and updated hud

Plus a second fanbonus disk with tons of artwork some lewd

>> No.5039469

>>5039256
>thrown around loosely
Sure does. By you as well. Grab a dictionary and look up "perfect".

>> No.5039531

Dynamite Deka/Die Hard Arcade
Final Fight Revenge
Shienryu
Cotton,Cotton2
Radiant Silvergun
Virtua Fighter Remix(Yes this was release in the arcades on ST-V not running on Model 2)
Virtua Fighter Kids
Purikura Daisakusen
WinterHeat
Soukyugurentai
Puzzle and Action
Groove on Fight
Golden Axe the Duel
Astra SuperStars
Baku Baku Animal
Decathlete
Puyo Puyo
Steep Slope Sliders

>> No.5039949

>>5039256
There aren't really any.
Maybe Elevator Action Returns and some of those other simple platformers/shmups. They're probably closest you'll get to "arcade perfect" on the Saturn.
*Some* of the Capcom ports come close but run at a lowered resolution, like Zero3, the 2 VS games and Vampire Savior.
SNK ports are pretty shit coz they only use 1MB ram expansion instead of all 4 so they're missing a lot of stuff.
>>5039259
Are you legally retarded? Even the ps1 version of dodonpachi is better. And the KOF ports are not even close to arcade perfect. The model 2 ports aren't even worth mentioning.

>> No.5040084

>>5039256
There are maybe like a dozen actual arcade perfect Saturn ports and they are either all STV games or ports of very very old games like Gradius.

the Parodius games are the only ones I can think of which are arcade perfect in every way. Maybe Layer Section, but only if you play it in TATE mode, otherwise it is missing half the graphic effects.

>>5039310
>virtua fighter 2 is decent
>last bronx is decent

Wow, I bet you never even saw the arcade versions. The Saturn ports are missing all 3d backgrounds, MISSING ALL LIGHTNING EFFECTS, and they have a third of the polycount on the character models. The arcade version of VF2 looks like Soul Calibur on DC without the transparent trails and hit sparks.

>> No.5040116

>>5039949
The "lowered resolution" on Vampire Savior is not really a big deal at all, 384x224 in the arcades versus 352x224 on the Saturn, the difference is only in width, meaning stages's corners aren't as wide, but you can select the "arcade" screen option on the menu, which allows you to go a little bit beyond the corners. It really doesn't make much of a difference really, and as far as the actual game looks, is the same as on the arcade, it's not a "low-res" version of it.

>> No.5040415

>>5039391
>>5039469
Dude, just shut up. Nobody wants to hear your pedantry.