[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 112 KB, 380x384, Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
502526 No.502526 [Reply] [Original]

Regardless of how you feel about the games, you have to admit Castlevania has always had the best game titles.

– Rondo of Blood
– Bloodlines
– Symphony of the Night
– Legacy of Darkness
– Circle of the Moon
– Harmony of Dissonance
– Aria of Sorrow
– Lament of Innocence
– Portrait of Ruin
– Order of Ecclesia
– Encore of the Night

>> No.502540

Circle of the Moon is the best Castlevania.

>> No.502551

I dunno, most of them sound like something an angsty 14 year old might come up with

>> No.502563

>>502551
What would you name them?

They're games about Vampires, undead, death, monsters, gore, etc. What do you want them to be named?

>> No.502576

>>502563
1, 2, 3, 4, 5...

>> No.502580

>>502563
That's true, I suppose it would be virtually impossible to come up with an appropriate Castlevania title that doesn't sound like it could be a teenagers band name

>> No.502595 [DELETED] 

>>502576
So just go with a generic boring naming scheme instead of being creative? Brilliant.

>>502580
You sound like a hipster.

>> No.502601

>>502580
Like Simon's Quest.

>> No.502613 [DELETED] 

>>502595
Stop being so aggressive about this. People sometimes just have opinions that are different from yours.

>> No.502621 [DELETED] 

>>502595
You sound like you got lost on your way to /v/.

>> No.502623 [DELETED] 

>>502613
>People sometimes just have opinions that are different from yours.

Yes and that's great, but being condescending and insulting in expressing them is kind of uncalled for.

>> No.502645

This "INSERT GOTHIC THING of [the] INSERT GOTHIC THING" naming scheme is fucking gay and repetitive and useless always has been.

None of these titles even make any fucking sense. Where was the symphony in SotN? What did CotM have to do with the moon? Did they call it Aria of Sorrow because Soma is an angsty tweenage faggot with a gender identity crisis?

>> No.502657

<musical reference> of <gothic cliche>

>> No.502658

>>502526
Does anyone still play Harmony of Despair? I got really good at that and loved when I was with a good team. Lost of fun but I wish Soma wasn't so blatantly OP compared to the rest of the cast.

>> No.502794 [DELETED] 

>>502657
>>502645
So I guess /vr/ has already been taken over by autistic angry shitstains from /v/

Wonderful. I thought /vr/ had a more mature userbase.

>> No.502795

>>502540

This is correct. The Metroidvanias would be SO much better if they were developed by KCEK instead of IGA's team.

>> No.502814 [DELETED] 

>>502794
Shut your pompous gob.

>> No.502857 [DELETED] 
File: 12 KB, 136x131, 1253849433996.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>502645
>Where was the symphony in SotN?

lrn2 metaphor

>What did CotM have to do with the moon?

Are you shitting me?

>hurrr GAY

Oh right, you're twelve.

>> No.502876 [DELETED] 

>>502794

>complains about what he claims are shitposts
>shitposts

>someone talks about videogames
>ignore opinion and avoid discussion of videogames
>hue hue go back to v or i report u

>> No.502883 [DELETED] 
File: 754 KB, 485x750, gay.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>502857

>>>/reddet/
>>>/feminist tumblr blogs/

>> No.502912
File: 130 KB, 500x500, castlevania-harmony-of-dissonance-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like Harmony of Dissonance is probably the most underrated entry in the series. It was a really solid game.

>> No.502943
File: 42 KB, 500x346, what is a fag.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>502857

>SotN
>metaphor

Are you seriously suggesting that a game with the writing quality of SotN would actually include something that involves subtlety?

>> No.503004

I agree; they sound cool and are appropriate enough for the content.

>>502540
It certainly is my favorite.

>> No.503078

>>502645
>This "INSERT GOTHIC THING of [the] INSERT GOTHIC THING" naming scheme is fucking gay and repetitive and useless always has been.

Well if you look at when they were released, that was the style.
As the series grew it just became a staple to name add titles that were gothic.
I don't understand why it bothers you that a game tries to sticks to it's setting and atmosphere.

>>502876
For what it's worth the quality of that guys post was borderline shitposting. Just like yours.

>> No.503127

Playing SOTN for the first time. An upside down castle appeared and I warped to it expecting the final boss- i..is this a whole castle to clear again?

>> No.503147

>>502912
Awful soundtrack, ugly graphics with a putrid color scheme, a lame plot, and uninteresting gameplay.

>> No.503187

Aria of Sorrow Death boss fight was the GOAT

>> No.503245

>>503127
Yep, the whole thing.

>> No.503272

>>503245
shit, I was going to complain the game was surpisingly short and easy, guess I was wrong..

>> No.503292

>>503272
It IS extremely easy. But yeah, the upside down castle is really cool.

>> No.503336

>>503292
some of the secrets are a bit obtuse, and that's my same complaint with Super Metroid. Looking it up now, how are you meant to find the Sword familiar or the 'don't lose health in water' item on your own? They're about breaking a random ceiling floor that is identical to all the others.

Other than that, game is amazing, and this second castle thing is... wow. Maybe my new favourite game of all time

>> No.503383

I have noted the same thing, OP.

Despite what some might say, those are just the kind of names that suit Castlevania games. Like (I'm guessing) you already pointed out, it's about vampires and gothic castles and such. They complement the art style as well. It's supposed to be kind of overboard and unapologetic.

The only ones that aren't quite as good names are maybe Rondo of Blood, which is perhaps a bit too amusing, Bloodlines which sounds less grandiose in comparison to others, and Circle of the Moon suffers slightly of the same, being less abstract. But overall it's pretty much impossible to point to another series, even if it only had three titles, that sound so good.

>> No.504467

>>502551
Its pretty much 'Dracula' the game.
Why wouldn't you like this?

>> No.504967 [DELETED] 

>>502794
Rest easy, I'll always be lurking.

>> No.505075

>>502912
I somewhat agree, I really enjoyed the level design and the magic system but the music was kind of a low point for the series and some/many of the bosses were pushovers.

It remains a very good game just not quite as good as Order of Ecclesia or Symphony of the Night.

Or even Dawn of Sorrow. Which is way better than Aria btw.

>> No.505463
File: 96 KB, 500x500, 1289834050973_f[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't forget Nocturne in the Moonlight.

>> No.505494

>>502526
Lords of Shadow.

>> No.505497

>>502601
It's not that bad if you have a guide.

Very flawed game, but I still like it.

>> No.505976

>>505463
In Japanese, that is the exact same as SOTN.

>> No.506025

First let me say Castlevania is easily my favorite game series of all time

Secondly. Who the fuck cares about the title?

Third if you actually cared about the title you wouldn't call it castlevania. The word is retarded and was made up by some marketing team in the 80s who probably didn't even play the game. The game's actual name is Demon Castle Dracula.

>> No.506048

>>502912
it was complete shit, easy as fuck, musics that had nothing special ( unforgivanle for a castlevania); , shitty castle...and that sprite of the hero when he runs...

>> No.506050

>>505463

what happens when you mix Castlevania with japanese quierkiness?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfb5BFigPXw

>> No.506063

>>506025
>Third if you actually cared about the title you wouldn't call it castlevania. The word is retarded and was made up by some marketing team in the 80s who probably didn't even play the game. The game's actual name is Demon Castle Dracula.

Whoa, there. Demon Castle Dracula sounds dumb as hell. Castlevania is just some semi-clever wordplay on the stereotype of vampires being from Transylvania and also taking place in a Castle.

Castlevania!

>> No.506101

I always thought SoTN was terribly overated.
It was the only metroidvania I never played a second time.

The stat scaling in the game was awful. If you do any sort of exploring you end up being several levels above the monsters and have gear that gives heaps of defense which removes any sort of challenge. By the time I reached the 2nd castle I stopped trying to avoid monster's attack and was unable to be killed. Dracula only dealt 1 damage to me with some of his attacks. No fucking challenge in the slightiest.

They went through all the trouble of making secret areas but than designed the enemies to only being challenging if you never discover any them. Its one of the few games were I felt punished for exploring and collecting secrets.

>> No.506150

>>506101
the whole point to exploring and finding secrets is to get the good stuff. that's why they're -SECRETS-

just use the luck code for shit stats and sell anything a monster drops. figure it out.

>> No.506234

I wish they would make a metroidvania that has the hidden secret armors and weapons without the level ups. The level ups add nothing to game: theres no stat points to destribute, if you end up over leveling by accident because you were lost or fucking around the combat becomes boring as enemies start dying before they play their attack animation. Even if you are a bad player and want to grind to make the game easier the game already has potions for you to stock up on.

They sort of attempted that with Lament of Innosense. It had plenty of secret rooms to find but no amount of max hp ups or new accessories would turn the battles into easy mode (at least if you play on @crazy).

>> No.506239

>>506101
I recently played and finished SoTN at my friends. He said it was a hard game, but when I played he complainjed about how overleved i became and said it was much harder if I used a sword. The swords in that game is the most boring shitty weapon I have ever come across and only hit thigns in front of you. Using the basilard or the 'nunchucks' is clearly superior untill you find that Shield-mace. shiled-mace + iron shield makes the game easy-mode the whole way through. My friend advised me to use swords instead, but there is no point in limiting yourself.

>> No.506265

>>502526
>– Rondo of Blood
Overrated.
>– Bloodlines
Just shitty.
>– Symphony of the Night
Too easy.
>– Legacy of Darkness
The merchant was a cool guy.
>– Circle of the Moon
Cool but clunky.
>– Harmony of Dissonance
Running animation reveals Juste's wearing a wig.
>– Aria of Sorrow
Tryhard animu shit that is only playable on Hard.
>– Lament of Innocence
Failure.
>– Portrait of Ruin
Have to beat Normal (which is insultingly easy) to play on a real difficulty, and the game tries to shove end-game equipment onto you when you restard.
>– Order of Ecclesia
Shit style, good action.
>– Encore of the Night
Who?
>Not a single truly great Castlevania on the list.
OP truly is a fag, period.

>> No.506279

>>502580
I don't see a problem with calling a game Demon astle Dracula VII or something.

Castlevania lost the numbering, because the nineties games were mostly remakes (so-called IV is a remake of the original, 68k CV is a remakel Rondo is a side-series, SotN is Rondo 2).

THEN it had a reboot in Lament, and it went further downhill from them on.

>> No.506283 [DELETED] 

>>506265
Fuck off back to /v/. Do us a favor.

>> No.506285

>>502645
>Hurr I'm just literal-minded like that
>Durrrrrr

>> No.506293

>>502540
Circle of the Moon has the worst controls of any Castlevania game. I played it for 10 minutes and gave up, it's horrible. Never again /v/, never again.

>> No.506295

>>506239
I started limiting myself on my playthrough.
First I stopped using the crucifix to 1 shot bosses

Than I stopped using any sort of spell

Still too fucking easy.

Than I stopped using the weapons with all the cool features and the armor with special properties. Once I made up this rule I realized I should stop exploring because any secret items I find would be something I'm not allowed to wear

Still too fucking easy. Than I stopped using any subweapons.

Than I realized all all my limitations had made the game less complicated than the NES origenal.
And with all these handicaps I STILL killed most enemies before they could play their first attack animation. I never even learned half the boss's patterns because half their attacks didn't do enough damage to be worth dodging

>> No.506296

>>502912
True.

>>503147
>HoD
>Awful soundtrack
You have no taste in music. HoD had a very original by game standards expressionistic soundtrack. It sounded like a German horror movie. I bet you liked Portrait of Ruin's jpop the most, though.

>> No.506302

>>506293
the controls are perfect.
its the fucking camera
any time you make a jump the camera will scroll slightly upwards which is nausiating

if they had made the default camera position a little higher up it wouldnt have that issue

>> No.506298

X (a musical term) of Y (something that indicates horror, sadness or night)

Original? I always found them funny and not very creative. They do stand out, though.

>> No.506301

>>505976
What? SotN's original subtitle is entirely different. One is Symphony in the Night, one is Moonlight Nocturne - different names. See? Ugh, arguing with a stupid person is hard.

>> No.506308

>>506302
not him but, I didnt like how you would sprint and how slow you walk, also the incredibly high jump you do didnt help either.

>> No.506309

>>506063
>Castlevania is just some semi-clever wordplay on the stereotype of vampires being from Transylvania and also taking place in a Castle.
>
>Castlevania!
The whole game was a parody, credits were Hammer movie puns, monsters were all Universal creatures, the hero was a vampire hunter dressed like a Roman legionnaire, and the final boss was Count Dracula. Castlevania never took itself seriously until the shittiness that was Rondo.

>> No.506314 [DELETED] 

>>506283
>Fuck off back to /v/. Do us a favor.
This type of post should be bannable.

>> No.506323
File: 245 KB, 545x488, cc2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So, what is your favorite Castlevania OST? My favorite became the Castlevania Chronicles one since I finished it not very long ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne869ZiSJAE

>> No.506336

>>506323
>The japanese version of C3, notably the Beginning.
Love that sound. It's amazing what the whole series did with the nes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TecRb1nYrSE

>> No.506340
File: 397 KB, 778x800, d26afd3372424eb57a1f67983c1487ac.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has ANY video games series had so many reboots as Castlevania?

Super Famicom Akumajo Dracula was a gritty next-gen reboot. In the West it was called Supe Castlevania IV, but it still was a reboot with Trevor and all.

Then the series had another reboot for X68000. Meanwhile, the whole thing branched off with Akumajo Dracula X (Rondo and SotN).

The X series continued on the GBA, but next-gen consoles had a fucking series gritty next-gen reboot/origin story with Lament.

Throughout 2000s it stagnated... and then it had a gritty next-gen reboot in Lords of Shadow. Which has spawned a badly received subseries and is already stagnating.

Is this the most unfortunate series ever or what?

>> No.506343 [DELETED] 

>>506340
did you have to post that
my dick

>> No.506348 [DELETED] 

>>506343
Egads, a mod deleted it. Am I banned now or something? What the fuck? There was no nudity.

I swear to god, the /vr/ mod/janitor is female.

>> No.506369 [DELETED] 

>>506364
> wow these are some nazi mods
This.

I think we have a goddamn fucking child moderating /vr/. I think this should be reported to m00t.

>> No.506364 [DELETED] 

wow these are some nazi mods

>> No.506390

>>506323
Rondo of Blood had a kickass first level theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJSJv6B5MVk

Akumajo Densetsu(C3) made great use of the VRC6 channels:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=864sf3hNA_M

Chronicles(as you said) had some amazing remixes of the original X68000 OST, but I like some of the original too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYcmaBFSVkQ

Super Castlevania IV had some great tunes as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7laVyX5sz0I

>> No.506590

-NES original: Still fun and atmispheric today. Pacing is great there is always something on screen running towards you. Your jump isn't very strong so your whip doubles as projectil-killing defensive tool
-Simons Quest: Didn't play it for more than a hour. Overworld had terrible pacing with too many steps from one enemy to another
-Castlevania 3: Still has the best atmisphere of any game in the series. There are more ways to traverse the levels than in the nes origenal but lots of the segments feel padded and unnecessary
-Super 4: 8 Way aiming really changes how you play the game. It was a nice expirmental game. Still has some of the most fun boss fights If you think its too easy look up the password to start on second loop.
-Rondo of blood: In terms of level design this may be the best of the classic series its fucking perfect from everything to the pacing, difficult curve, boss fights, The backflip adds so much, espcially once you learn you can turn around and use it jump OVER enemies. Subweapons are also more balanced than in any other game
-Dracula X/Vampires Kiss: Essentially a slightly less polished Rondo of blood.
-Gameboy Castlevanias and n64 ones: Never played them, never intend too. Looks sub-mediocre
-Sotn: Horrible stat scaling means any real exploring kills the challenge. Enemies never seem to die in a good number of hits. Some are killed off without ever putting up a fight while some take so many its more efficient to skip them
-Circle of the moon: Aggressive enemies make combat fun. Low card drop rate and subweapons other than cross being shit make the combat repetative. Nausatingly fast and frequent screen scrolling.
-Juste's gay adventure: The forward dash made the pacing better. Good variety of spells and good subweapon balance. Enemies die quickly but show up in huge swarms which is very satisfying. The game feels horribly stretched out and would have been more fun if it was 3 times shorter. Half the bosses were crap

>> No.506593

>>506590
-aria of sorrow: Weapon and spell variety is at its best yet. Heavy use of random drops makes 2nd play throughs
more unique. Terrible use of colors. Many rooms do not feel like they are correctly shaped. Kiting with ranged spells
is too easy. Boss patterns start getting more complex and more fun
-Castlevania Chronocles: Some of the enemy formations felt uncreative and led to bland level design.
Incredible backgrounds, diagnel whippin (but only in air) makes jumping a greater part of the game.
Second level is one the best atmisphere's in the series.
Ayamji Kojima's best looking bishounen
-Castlevania blood lines: After the first level the game becomes a boss-rush with the same feeling as hard corps.
Some of the boss patterns were way too simple but the thrill of fighting so many in a row makes the game great.
I like how if you get to keep a super whip if you never get hit: makes you feel like a bad-ass
One of the best looking genesis games.
-Dawn of sorrow: Ayami Kojima is fired and there is much sorrow. Variety for weapons and spells is even better than
previous sorrow game. I never failed the stupid stylus drawing game but it still made boss fights miserable.
Enemies were very passive, taking way too long to play an attack animation.
-Lament of innosense: If you play on @crazy its an amazing game. Otherwise its god damn boring. Enemies
are highly pattern based and each have their own method of fighting instead of all just having a generic slash
animation like GoW or DMC Too many empty rooms/repeated rooms keep it from being a classic, great soundtrack, stopping to attack candles is a pain
Also has glorious ayami kojima bishounen in 3d. This was the only 3d castlevania that IGA was involved, probably why its good.
One of my personal favorite ps2. I have cleared @crazy mode at least a dozen times.

>> No.506662

>>506593
-Portrait of ruin: The best paced metroidvania. You advance quickly from one encounter to another. Not a fan of the stop-to cast system
which kills the pacing. Best customization system. Number of equipment slots seemed unnessarly high. Has the same kiting problem
as the sorrow series. Enemies are bad at catching up to you and ranged attacks are plentiful.
Reused level graphics was infuriating.
If the enemies were more aggresive would be the best metroidvania easily
-Order of Eclsia: hate female mc. Difficulty curve is strange. The enemies are slow, weak, and piss easy while the boss fights
are the hardest in any metroidvania. Makes me wish it was just a boss rush like blood lines. Awful quest system almost ruined the game for me.
The weapon system wasn't very good. Your MP based weapons have no real resource manangment while your heart based weapons are all the same generic
full screen attack. Worst weapon system by far.
-Curse of Darkness: All the fun and varied patterns that enemies had in Lament of innosense are gone. Its just a generic
3d beat em up. Doesn't have the awesome challenge that lament's @crazy did.

-Lord of Shadow: Could hav been at least average if it scrapped the awful filler puzzles, the QTE, the nausatingly dramatasized attack animations, gave
you actual variety in spells, stuck to the castlevania lore, took its beat em up inspiration from a good game like ninja gaiden instead of GOW,
and was made 5 times shorter. Main character looks like a dork cosplaying.

Best classic castlevanias: Origenal, castlevania 3, Rondo of blood/Dracula X,
Best metroidvanias: Circle of moon, Portrait of Ruin
Best 3d: Lament of Innosense (only on @crazy)
Best non tradional genre: The rail shooter that only exists in japanese arcades
Best Belmonts: Pre-ayami kojima Richter, Leon and Ayami Kojima's Simon Belmont

>> No.507106

Are there any hacks of SotN that make it more difficult?

Fuck me, but that sword that attacked 3 times and had no animation delay made everything in the game a non-issue. You could literally turn the display of your tv off or watch something else and just mash attack.

I tried to do a fist-only walkthrough but it was still easy, as well as painfully boring.

>> No.507263

>>506323
SuperCastlevaniaIV
>Dat Simon's theme kicking in when Dracula is about to die
>Rondo of Blood
Dat Bloodlines, Dat Ghost Ship level
>Castlevania:LOI
Dat Medusa Battle theme
>Aria of Sorrow
Dat Heart of Fire

Top tier music.

>> No.507702

>>502526

bumping

>> No.507794

>Prefix of Suffix

>> No.507812

>>507106
There was one in the making, but the guy decided to remake SOTN in Gamemaker instead since SOTN's code is a massive clusterfuck.
http://sotnhacked.wordpress.com/2013/04/18/update-41713-puppetskeletalmodularetc-animating-what-galamoth-is-animated-with/

Of course like most GM games, it runs like fucking shit.

>> No.507838

>>507106
There's a hard mode code out there that forces you to start the game at luck mode health with 50 mp total. Generally you want to mix this with a code that forces you to level 99 so you can never level. It makes the game more interesting. Just do a little google-fu you should be able to find the codes in question fairly easy.

>> No.507847

>>502658
The game was amazing for the first month or so (lots of people playing all characters, using all sorts of gear/items/strats, etc) but after that it just descended into "fast runs speed boots Soma or Alucard only" crap.

That said, that first month was GLORIOUS. It was the most fun I have ever had playing online. The community was great.

>> No.507861

>>502645
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dknftT3LjX4

>> No.507891

>>502645
>What did CotM have to do with the moon?
Whoops, looks like someone didn't pay any attention to the plot at all!

>> No.507946
File: 35 KB, 700x700, ackchyually.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>506025
>The word is retarded
What's wrong with "Castlevania" as opposed to "Demon Castle"? They both have the word castle in them, and they both evoke the same kind of horror and demonic images when you hear them.

The only difference is, "Castlevania" actually sounds the name of a video game. "Demon Castle" sounds like an awkward English transliteration (I hesitate to call it a translation), which is exactly what it is.

>> No.507949

>>502658
I tried that, and played it for a few days.

I wish it hadn't been so god damned grindy. I just wanted an online CV game I could play with my friends. I didn't want an MMORPG that expected me to sink my life into it to get anywhere.

After about 20 hours of leeching off of higher-level players running endgame instances (which is all anyone does online) and still not getting any equipment that allowed me to contribute, I gave up on the game.

I got all the souls in AoS and DoS; I can tolerate a little grind. But I'm not going to dedicate my life to single video game just so it gives me enough avatar strength to play it.

>> No.507963

>>506296
I'm curious to see how you can defend a SINGLE song in that game, except for Juste's theme, which is tolerable.

I'm not that guy, but no, I didn't really care for Portrait of Ruin's soundtrack. My favorite is Lament of Innocence

>> No.507972

Dawn of Sorrow is the absolute worst metroidvania.

>main character looks like Seto Kaiba
>it's not set in a castle
>the final boss is not Dracula
>he can steal souls so edgy!
>every weapon type BUT whips

It's like they made a platformer of Persona 4.

>> No.507984

>>502645
>Soma
>Angsty
>Identity crisis
Did you just look at his FAAAABULOUS jacket and extrapolate from there?

>> No.507989

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mDBJx2t3lg

Circle of the Moon had a few nice songs... too bad most of 'em were ripped from older games.

>> No.507993

>>507949
To be honest the only souls worth hunting are Mandragora, Malacoda, and Killer Clown.

>> No.508004

>>507972
Did you completely miss the part where Soma was the literal reincarnation of Dracula after his death in 1999 or what?

>> No.508009
File: 9 KB, 247x204, Full Retard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>507972

>> No.508021

Is there any good GBA Castlevania games? I know the system was released in 2001 but that's close enough

>> No.508025

>>508021
circle of moon was good I heard

>> No.508026

>>508021
Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow. Harmony of Dissonance is pretty average but still worth playing.

>> No.508034

>>507972
I agree, although not for the reasons you list.
After Aria I was expecting the next game to be amazing (the jumps in quality from CotM > HoD > AoS were all huge), and Dawn actually takes several steps backwards from Aria. The castle layout and design is awful, it adds nothing new gameplay wise at all (same soul system, same weapon system, same everything), bosses are uninspired, difficulty is inconsistent and worst of all they dropped the gothic artstyle for an anime one for the characters. It is terrible and I don't see how people enjoy it over Aria.

>> No.508059

>>508026
>>508025
Ok sweet. My local shop has Circle Of the Moon I think. I'll check it out.

>> No.508060

>>508026
Harmony has good gameplay (dashing, mixing spells and subweapons, lots of whip customization, etc, lots of boss fights), most people harp on it for the lower quality visuals and off-kilter soundtrack.

It has one of the best atmospheric settings of any CV game though. Many of the areas actually feel quite eerie and creepy and give off a vibe of despair. It is worth playing, at any rate - decide for yourself if it is any good or not, don't rely on others to do that for you considering how split CV fans are about every single game.

>> No.508076

>>506301
You won't entice me into a snafu!

>> No.508153

>>508034
Completely agreed.

I think people just like it better because BETTER GRAPHICS BETTER MUSIC.

Aria of Sorrow had a very simplistic, but serviceable plot, all built around the game's main plot twist. Aria of Sorrow is an important event in the series's timeline. Every character was there for a reason. Aria of Sorrow remembered that it was a video game first and foremost, and the plot was there to support the gameplay. The character's personalities are all basic, yes, but none of them are annoying or offensive.

Dawn of Sorrow was a complete clusterfuck in the story department. It's completely superfluous bullshit that may as well have not happened. The entire tone of the story is different. All of the characters have now had anime stereotypes surgically implanted into them. Yoko is now an annoying feminist cunt. Hammer is now a simpering loser in love with Yoko but too chicken shit to do anything about it. Julius constantly complains about being an old man. Mina doesn't show up much, but manages to be surprisingly bitchy when she does. Arikado has been downgraded from morally ambiguous manipulator to "omg so cool mysterious bishounen."

And none of them contributed a damn thing to the plot. They may as well have not been there. Half of the time they show up in a cutscene, it's just so the game can pretend they still have some relevance by saying, "oh, they're doing stuff elsewhere in the castle" or something.

AoS's plot isn't Shakespeare, but at least it wasn't actively offensive like DoS.

>> No.508174

>>508009
The final boss is a skeleton made of meat. What game are YOU thinking of?

>> No.508204

>>508174
There's an alternative, bad end final boss when playing Julius mode.

>> No.508271

>>502526
I'm really getting tired of the [musical term] of [something gothic or another musical term] naming style. It was cool the first few times, but its getting stale

>> No.508284

>>502658
I was late to the game, so I've only been able to play online once and got booted from the party before I even started a game (don't blame them, I was using my troll account "icp4eva_666")

Its pretty fun playing solo or 2 player with my bro online though

>> No.508298

>>508174
I'm saying you're a retard because Dracula was killed in 1999 and reincarnated as the main protagonist.

>> No.508306

>>508271
It was only used three times. Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the Night, Aria of Sorrow. Symphony is a direct sequel to Rondo, and Alucard plays a significant role in Aria of Sorrow.

>> No.508323

>>508306
Harmony of Dissonance
Harmony of Despair

>> No.508354

>>508323
Oh yeah, forgot about Harmony, but I wouldn't really count Despair as anything remotely canon.

>> No.508401

I've always wanted one called Choir of Mayhem.

>> No.508462

So since CV thread, anyone else want another linear game, like CV1? If they focused all of their effort on a linear-style Castlevania, I think Konami could pump out a sick Action/Platformer. Do it all New Super Mario Bros. style, you know?

Also, for the Metroidvania games, what bugs me about them is the bosses. In all Castlevania games but SOTN you just get an orb. Orbs are fine for the linear games, because you don't need leveling, but in the RPG games the Life Max Ups are needed.

>> No.508530

>>502943
I just realised Soma does that dracula pose in the bad ending of AoS
when he's dracula

>> No.508703

>>508462
Remake of Castlevania 3. 4 player co-op (Trevor, Alucard, Sypha, Grant), plays like Harmony of Despair but without the item collection and stat grinding, just a multiplayer 2d platforming.

Alternately, a singleplayer remake of Castlevania Adventure. I feel bad for Christopher Belmont, he's still canon but no one wants to play his game.

>> No.508778
File: 75 KB, 620x465, eyeballs-620x[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>508703
Hold on a second, and allow me to jump us into another timeline.

NNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

*pop*

Your wish is granted. I went back into the past and made it so that game exists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_The_Adventure_ReBirth

>> No.508817

>>508778
>Wiiware
Oh goddammit

>> No.508901

>>508462
What about the Lord of Shadow sequel on the 3ds? I know everyone hates it, but does it play like a Belmont Classicvania? I haven't played it and really don't know much about it.

I hope its Classicvania, I really want a 3ds but the only game for it that I give a shit about currently is the new Fire Emblem

>> No.508923

>>508901
No, no it does not.

>> No.508958

>>508901

Download the demo. I kinda liked it.

>> No.508987

>>508958
I might. Lord of Shadow seemed okay, one of my buddies loved it but I never really played it for real, I'de be willing to give it a shot though

>> No.509002
File: 85 KB, 800x700, Grant_1280_1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>508703
Although a remake of Castlevania 3 would be awesome, they better not make the character designs look like this.

This is Grant Danasty, by the way.

>> No.509003

>>508817

No one ever said altering reality was easy

>> No.509020

>>508987
I first played LoS under the impression that it would be a good castlevania game.
After I figured it wasn't I didn't really want to play it. But after going back to it and playing it as it was intended, as a spinoff series, I enjoyed it.
Definitely top 10 of the last gen and I am looking forward to the next release.
My favorite castlevania is SotN, to keep it retro related.

>> No.509039

>>509002
>the character design in CV: Judgement
It's a damn shame, since the voice acting and music are god damn amazing, and personally I think they nailed Grant's fighting style in this game. But that design is just so god damn unforgivable.

>> No.509034

>>508703
This would be cool if they made Castlevania 1, 3, 4, and Rondo (and maybe Bloodlines if its worthy, never played it) continuous levels like they did in Harmony of Despair with the C1 map. Then add it a few original huge ass maps for good measure and make all the sprites 2d and high def (not just half assed high def versions of DS sprites like in HD). HD was popular enough that they could probably make it a fairly popular download-only game for the consoles, or as a 3ds game

>> No.509051

>>509034
Sorry I worded that all shitty, I mean make a Harmony of Despair-esque classicvania where the castle for C1 would be one giant, continuous level, as would C2, C4, etc.

>> No.509094
File: 28 KB, 170x231, Grantfull.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>509002
This is what I hate about character designs in post-SoTN Castlevania games.

>> No.509118

>>509002
I think it'd be cool if they let the Metal Gear Solid guy do the character designs for a Castlevania game. If he went for a horror style I bet it'd look really trippy and creepy

>> No.509158

>>509118
*not Kojima, Yoji Shinkawa or whatever that dudes name is that does the artwork

>> No.509169

>>509094
Judgment is the only game that looked like that.

>> No.509206

>>509020
Lords of Shadow is a great game overall, it just isn't a great Castlevania game.

>> No.509250
File: 630 KB, 496x750, CV MC&#039;s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>509002
It pains me how much they fucked up Judgment.

Castlevania is fodder for an amazing Dissidia-style fighting game and they blew it.

>> No.509270

>>508817
>dolphin emulator

>> No.509279

>>509206
Lords of Shadow was a real 7th gen AAA action game. Which is to say, it was a piece of shit.

>> No.509341

>>509279
Whatever, grandpa. As far as 3d Castlevania goes, you can do much worse than LoS. The puzzles were decent, the fighting was decently challenging, really the only problem with it was that it just didn't feel very much like an action game. But as a "7th gen AAA action game" goes, it is definitely one of the better ones

>> No.509349

>>509341
>it just didn't feel very much like an *action game
Castlevania game. Fixed it

>> No.509446

I still feel that the N64 Castlevanias were horribly underrated. Great platforming and an amazing atmosphere. It does have its faults but I don't think they're enough to make the game as bad as some people say they are. A lot of people seem to avoid it because of its reputation but if you haven't, you should at least give it a chance.

>> No.509497

>>509446
I played one of them for about 20 minutes but quit because the controls were shit. I died several times trying to jump across little rocks or ice platforms to cross a river and I quit out of frustration. Didn't seem worth it to get good enough at the controls to overcome this

>> No.509508

>>509341
>you can do worse
>The puzzles were decent
>the fighting was decently challenging

High praise. I'm convinced. I'm gonna try this game right now.

>> No.509556

>>509508
It ain't no Rondo or Symphony, but as far as 7th gen adventure games go, its good. I'de rate it just below the Souls games and TES/Fallout games that Bethesda made

Castlevania just doesn't really work in 3d nearly as well as 2d

>> No.509568

>>509556
They should've ripped off Metroid Prime instead of God of War. Who knows, maybe lighting would've struck twice?

>> No.509601

>>509556

Im curious to see how the sequel will work. They way the game is shaping up it seems to be a combination of Blood omen Arkham City and Darksiders.

>> No.509610
File: 325 KB, 474x353, deathvsOOA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone here ever beat Old Axe Armour mode for POR on hard mode level 1?

>> No.509645

>>509610
Hell no. I can't imagine the tedium that would be required to do that. I did enjoy OOA mode though. Just, not 1 damage OOA mode.

>> No.509641

>>509601
That sounds perfect for Castlevania. The way you just described it is making me think of Simon's Quest in 3d or something, this could be really cool. Like sort of a Soul Reaver / Ocarina of Time style game.

>> No.509656

>>509508

Listen to that anon, the game is fun and you will rage on many occasions. That being said, the couple for PS2 aren't bad at all either.

Also, LoS references previous games all over the place...that, or it is foreshadowing things that you've already seen, if that makes sense. I forget how it goes with that game sometimes.

>> No.509693

>>509645
It's actually pretty intense, the only boss battles that feel like a chore are Brauner, Death, and Death+Dracula.
The nest of evil also seems to be impossible because of the room with the Floating sword enemies + heavy armours.

>> No.509739

>>509341
Lords of Shadow is one of the only 7th Gen AAA games I played. If it's one of the better ones, I see I wasn't missing much.

"Piece of shit" may have been a bit strong. There wasn't anything that was really WRONG with the game, per se, apart from the lack of good music, and the fact that it had barely anything to do with Castlevania.

But... it was just such a disappointment. Finally, they give a Castlevania game a AAA budget, and the result is a very safe, boring game, meant to appeal to God of War kiddies.

The fact that the game had DLC was a twist of the knife.

>> No.509793

>>509739
Fair enough. I haven't totally given up on modern games, but I am getting drawn back in to retro vidya more and more. I actually just realized that the only thing I've used my PS3 for in the last 2 months is playing Netflix, Tetris, Chronicles, and HD.

>> No.509823

>>509446
CV64 has its high points as well as its lows. The Castle Center is an amazing level and has a fantastic atmosphere. The boss battles against Death and Dracula are some of the best in the entire series. I mean come on - Dracula turning into a gigantic dragon and battling it out in a huge desert is fucking awesome. The good just gets lost in the bad.

>> No.509832

>>509793

Exactly what all modern consoles are meant for, watchin' movie-an, nostalgia-an, and oh wow my picture is super awesome-an. That's about it. Just like this here desktop i'm on, that's what modern consoles strove to be. And they succeeded.....sort of.

Shit man, I bought myself a brand new 360 no more than five months ago and I've spent maybe ten hours playing it. There aren't many good games, and I can't get the 'full' version of them even if I wanted to. It'll always be childhood fun for me.

>> No.509870

>>506293
Wait

The controls of the game are totally fine.

>> No.509886

>>506265
>>Not a single truly great Castlevania on the list.

Give some examples, so...

>> No.509901
File: 287 KB, 640x480, castlevania-dracula-x-02.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You know what I would realy love to see?
Castlevania 1 or 3 that controled like Dracula X (pic related)

What I mean with this:
- you can jump and attack oposite direction
- pressing down/left or down/right makes you crouch and look at that direction, instead of just walking
- if you attack you have a brief moment were you can still turn around and the attack goes to the other side; minor thing, but makes it more fluid

Is there any hack that does this?

>> No.509920

>>509279
If you play Dark/Demon's Souls as modern Castlevania games, then 3d Castlevanias don't seem that bad. Demon's is sorta like Classicvania with its mission structure, Dark is very Metroidvania with its open world and shortcuts. Hell, if they give you the ability to jump (and more freedom to move about the environment in general rather than just running/climbing) in Dark Souls II, it may just end up being the 3D Castlevania game we've always wanted

>> No.509935

>>509250
And a Dynasty Warriors style game.

> You will never play a Castlevania Musou game.

>> No.509946 [DELETED] 

>>502526
>you have to admit Castlevania has always had the best game titles.
Yeah, because Simon's Quest, The Adventure, Harmony of Dissonance, Dracula X on SNES, and any 3D game were all so stellar....

>> No.509957

>>509935

Chaos Legion would be about as close to that shit as you'd get.

;_;

>> No.510023

>Rondo of Blood
>Rondo

does anyone actually know what this means? It is just some Engrish which didn't translate well?

>> No.510035

Somewhat OK

– Rondo of Blood
– Bloodlines
– Symphony of the Night
– Legacy of Darkness
– Circle of the Moon
– Portrait of Ruin
– Order of Ecclesia

Fucking retarded

– Harmony of Dissonance
– Aria of Sorrow
– Lament of Innocence
– Encore of the Night

>> No.510040

>>510023
A rondo is a form of music.

>> No.510062

>>509920
The Souls games are pretty much the entire reason I think Lords of Shadow sucks.

>> No.510071

>>510023
rondo (ˈrɒndəʊ)

— n , pl -dos
a piece of music in which a refrain is repeated between episodes: often constitutes the form of the last movement of a sonata or concerto

[C18: from Italian, from French rondeau ]

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition

>> No.510079

>>510023
>>510040
>A rondo is a form of music.
Close, but not quite

A Rondo is kinda hard to explain, but its when you repeat a (often sung) phrase of music over an over, and then one or more people join in at different times.

An example would be Row Row Row Your Boat.
One person sings row row row your boat gently down the stream, the other person starts singing row row row your boat when the first persons starts singing gently down the stream, if that makes sense

Another example would be the ending of God Only Knows by the Beach Boys, they do the exact same thing.

>> No.510191

>>508354
Lament of Innocence might also be one of the [musical term] of [gothic buzzword] Castlevanias, if they meant it that way. Lament is a pretty old style of music that is sad (obviously). I don't know enough about classical music to give you any examples from that, but Kaw-Liga by Hank Williams and Cold Blows the Wind by Ween are more popular/folky laments

So what's that, 6 [musical term] of [gothic buzzword] CV games? Yeah, that's getting a little tired.

>> No.510254

>>510079
No, that's a round.

A rondo is a piece of repeating sections in designated patterns, like ABACA, or ABACABA.

>> No.510269

>>510191
Well, Lament is less a musical genre than any other. To lament is to mourn the passage of something, and while there ARE musical pieces which are elegiac in nature, "lament" is not a genre.

>> No.510296

La-Mulana is the best Castlevania.

>> No.511997

>>508034
>It is terrible and I don't see how people enjoy it over Aria.

I have seen no one say that. Personally it got me into the series, but this is the first time I'm mentioning it.

As for the art style, surely the artist retiring should tell you something about why that happened?

>> No.512561

>>506309
Even Rondo was goofy as hell SOTN is when it tried being badass.

>> No.512576

>>506340
Super CV 4 was just a 16-bit retelling of the original CV. It was Simon, not Trevor.
the Chronicles/X6800 was also just a different version of the first game. They weren't rebooting the series, they were all the same point on the timeline as it were.
Now the timeline is a thing that used to ruin friendships with shit like the N64 games not being canon and all that

>> No.512608

>Castlevania with best visuals and music:
Rondo of Blood
>Castlevania with best gameplay:
Castlevania III
>Castlevania with best controls:
SCIV

>> No.512609

>>509002
Hell most of the designs after SOTN have been for the worse. Trevor when from a bad ass Conan dude into a trenchcoat wearing pretty boy. Leon was blonde trenchcoat wearing pretty boy.
Julius had a leopard print hair bow.
Soma was...ugh
I just dont get it

>> No.512728

>>512609
>Trevor when from a bad ass Conan dude into a trenchcoat wearing pretty boy.

So Trevor's design has always been generic and stupid looking. What's your complaint here?

>> No.513218

>>512609

Out of all Kojima's redesigns, I find Trevor's to be the least offensive.

Then again, I can't really complain about her style when stuff like Judgment exists. And I don't like what happened in Portrait and Dawn too.

>> No.513910

Symphony of the Night is such a beautiful name for such beautiful game.

>> No.516476

>>502526

Yeah great.

>> No.516612

What? They sound goth and weaboo at the same time, overtly dramatized. How is that the best game titles ever?
It's about slaying vampires, just take x of y, where x is something that expresses melancholy, and y expresses something sinister, or the other way around.
Eg:

>> No.516807

>>509610
I've never beaten OAA on Level 1 The only Lv1 game I've ever beaten in any game is the Sisters but fuck I love using the OAA. I really wish they would have used more fully playable enemy characters like that.

I mean, sure, you can turn into the skeleton on CotM and one-hit bosses, but good luck getting past any platforming section or taking a hit in that form.

>> No.517182
File: 269 KB, 1000x984, circleofthemoon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

for me nothing can beat Cotm. it was the game that broke my castlevania cherry and was also my first GBA game. love this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIpHiLxRocw&list=PLhHcMbVmbwCdWejkaes1Trs0qUlwDH3Sp&index=4

>> No.521864

Bumping

>> No.525471

>>502526

bump