[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 149 KB, 895x897, 895px-mmx4psuscovers-105028.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5006907 No.5006907 [Reply] [Original]

I've heard next to universal praise for this game. Many people saying it's one of the best in the series, quite a few saying it's hands down the best. I have to be missing something, because so far (I'm not far in) I absolutely fucking hate it.

I'm two Mavericks in, and so far I've hated the entire experience. The levels have been obnoxiously designed with tons of instant death, cheap enemies, and everything feels incredibly cramped. X is so huge on screen and everything is so tightly packed together. Mushroom's stage in particular was fucking AIDS beginning to end.

The Maverick fights so far are just irritating, my deaths rarely feel like they were my fault, and when I do win it never feels satisfying. And were the tutorial boss' attacks even avoidable? It died just by trading with it and nothing I did could avoid its stream attack so it ended up feeling like you're just meant to lose health but I could be missing something.

The sound effects are also pissing me off. The unnecessary voices, the sound of the buster charging, the weird sound X makes when he jumps, the OBNOXIOUS as FUCK sounds Mushroom makes constantly, that hideous blaring WARNING siren you have to listen to EVERY attempt on EVERY boss.

The game looks gorgeous and the music itself is really, really solid... but that's like all the praise I can give the entire game so far. I WANT to like this game so I'm hoping I'm just not getting a certain mechanic or I haven't adjusted yet, but of the first four X games this is the ONLY one that's consistently pissed me off without any real enjoyment anywhere.

>> No.5006917

>>5006907
git gud faggot, this is the easiest X game

>> No.5006926

>>5006907

Dude you're retarded. The voiceovers I can agree with you on, no idea what they were thinking, but you sound like you need to git gud. X4 was the first game in the series I finished as a kid and it inspired me to go back and finish the older ones.

>> No.5006932

>>5006917
I beat the first three X games far easier than I'm handling anything in this, and deaths rarely felt cheap in X1-3 where here over half my deaths have just been instant death crap.

But difficulty isn't even the main issue, it's the actual design of the game. Like Split Mushroom's staircases. Really, there are just TWO winding staircases where all you do is run right killing enemies? ANNOYING fucking enemies, too. The shield bots? The fucking bouncing spike ball things? The fucker trying to shove you from the back so you have to keep moving. Then there's the fucking elevator.

>> No.5006937

I agree about the voice lines
>Zero explodes
>makes an expression like seagulls just took a shit on him
>X falls into a spike trap
>sounds like a middle schooler seeing an error on her report card

>> No.5006943

>>5006926
It's not just the difficulty, it's the game design. I rarely got pissed off at anything in X1-3, I'm literally constantly at least annoyed at almost everything in X4 so far. And the actual level design just feels shitty and absolutely nothing so far has been fun.

>> No.5006945

I dont understand OP

I played this series in order, and X4 is the easiest X game, has great music, simple stages, and great 32 bit 2d graphics. My only complaints are the lack of a hard difficulty feature and the weak "Fortress" stage which is just a boss gauntlet that tosses health at you and is still cool but wouldve liked to see actual levels.

Is it the best? No but its a good video game and a worthy entry in the series.

>> No.5006948

>>5006943
Uh you sound easily annoyed then

>> No.5006951

>complaining about voice clips
i hope you don't plan on playing mega man 11

>> No.5006956

>>5006945
I've already acknowledged good music. The difficulty of the game is only part of my problem with it. "Simple" stages isn't a positive, but these stages are just tedious and unenjoyable. So much is either a cramped space full of tons of weak nothing enemies slowing down the pace, or giant empty nothing areas.

>>5006948
Hard to say. I was annoyed by very little in the first three X games, but I'm annoyed by almost everything in X4 so far. But usually the times the first three games DID irritate me they did something to make up for it. This... hasn't so far.

>>5006951
Voice clips can be fine, it's how they're used. The voice clips in this are really poorly done and way too frequent, especially against certain bosses like fucking Split Mushroom... and literally anytime X does anything.

>> No.5006957

why does everyone say X4 is the easiest when it's X1? X4 can actually give you an annoying time especially with shit like that final sigma fight. X1 is a cool breeze from beginning to end.

>> No.5006960

>>5006951
i saw the trailer and i cringed so hard
>mega man grunts with every jump
>calls out the name of the items he uses before using them

>> No.5006961

>>5006957
I will admit I did find X1 to be exceptionally easy once I got a feel for it. The stages in particular were pretty much all effortless.

>> No.5007054

>>5006957
Yeah first X is pretty easy all things considered. It's a good introduction to dash-centric action platforming.

>> No.5007083

>>5006907
>X is so huge on screen

you should be playing as Zero. the game was designed for him and it's so much more fun

>> No.5007357

>>5006907
>The levels have been obnoxiously designed with tons of instant death, cheap enemies, and everything feels incredibly cramped
You just summed up every mega man game in existence.
Combine the shit level design with rubbish controls and enemy placement and that's the whole series.

>> No.5008021

>>5007083
I'm playing through each X game as X first, using only the buster. And playing as Zero wouldn't fix the problem with huge sprites, especially since Zero is actually a little bigger than X.

>>5007357
This is only a problem in the lesser games.

>> No.5008415

Let's not forget the gimmick stages.

Cyber Space: "race" through empty corridors
Military Train: "action" stage, see how long you can mash the attack button!
Marine Base: trial-and-error vehicle stage that should have died a console generation or two prior

X looks like shit and he does feel huge on the screen. I've also fucked up more than one jump because they added the stupid hover function.

>> No.5008524

>>5006957

I actually always thought x2 was the easiest, at least for 1-4. x6 was probably the hardest, but it was mostly because of bad/rushed game design. I unironically like x6 but im wise to the fact that it's a mess.

>> No.5008548

>>5006957
I find some of the Mavericks in X1 to be very hard to buster only, no upgrades.

>> No.5008585

>>5008548

I prefer playing x1-3 that way, i like the extra challenge. Though in x1 i typically blow off Armored Armadillo's plating first with the electric spark first then switch back to the buster. otherwise the fight is a slog. In x2 it's so much fun to smack the bosses in the face with the double charged shot. it does get a bit tricky in x3 though, i hate the delay in the fully charged shot once you get the arms, it always throws my timing off.

>> No.5008589

>>5008585

*Just buster only, i mean, i still go for upgrades.

>> No.5008604

>>5006907
People only like X4 because you can play as Zero the whole game.

>> No.5008614

>>5008604

That's true, but i admit i actually liked the anime scenes. Though i appreciate them much more now than i did then after hearing them in japanese. (That awful english dub... WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR) Especially the flashback fight. That fucking evil laugh...

>> No.5008638

>>5006937
Hahaha

>> No.5009008

>>5008524
In terms of level design and bosses, X2 is pretty equal to X1 in terms of difficulty, but some of the secrets are a real bitch to get to. I don't know how anyone was supposed to find the capsule in Morph Moth's stage without a guide.

>> No.5011186

>>5006937
Your comparisons are spot on.