[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 29 KB, 256x363, Heroes_of_Might_and_Magic_IV_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
498007 No.498007[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I have no idea what I'm doing General.

HoMM IV thread.

>> No.498035

Fuck year. A lot of people like to hate on this, but I fucking loved it. I always hated that heroes were for some reason invincible dudes on the battlefield, even if they were casting direct damage spells. You'd think that one of those thousands of dudes would think to hit the damn hero once or twice.

>> No.498046

>>498035
>Confirmed for playing on easy or normal.
On higher difficulties the battle AI actually gets better and targets your hero first.

>> No.498061

>>498046

Should have been more clear: This was a criticism of the Heroes 1,2, and 3 games. I like that in this game, your hero is a character that can be targeted and killed, unlike in the previous games where that was not possible. Even on easy and normal, if your hero was one shottable, the enemy AI did kill you immediately.

Also:
>playing against the AI
Only in the campaigns is this acceptable.

>> No.498101

>>498035

Word.

Heroes 4 got a lot of shit. But I liked it.

For better or worse, it changed things up a bit.

Heroes 2, 3, 5 are all pretty much remakes of Heroes 1. Heroes 4 changed several gameplay elements. Haven't played 6 (is it any good?)

I liked the part about having to choose a dwelling that would exclude the other. This, along with the much more advanced magic/skill system made you care much more about your heroes relation to your towns and kingdom.

Some things I didn't like. Fewer towns, and they turned Inferno and Necropolis into one single town. That sucked balls. Their rooster was crap, and I always play Necropolis so I didn't like that.

Skeletons / Imps / Cerberus / Ghosts / Vampires / Swamp thingy (what the fuck?) / Bone dragon / Devil.

Meh. Also, the Necropolis / Inferno creature designs were crap.

>> No.498115

>>498101

I didn't really mind that inferno and necropolis were merged. If anything was gonna get merged, it was definitely those two. I kinda wish they added more town types with the expansions though, like the others had. They added creatures and stuff, but no new towns. Really unfortunate.

>> No.498148

I didn't like Homm 4 as much as 3 overall, but it had some great ideas. I loved some of the improvements over 3 (skill tree system!). Definitely a good game in my book, but it had A LOT of problems.
I think that apart from the fact that it was very different than 3 it put off many people with how unpolished (seemed almost unfinished in some ways) it was.

>>498101
>Haven't played 6 (is it any good?)
It's simplified 5 and seeing how 5 is just wannabe 3 (with a few nice ideas here and there), I wouldn't recommend it.

>> No.498202

Heroes 4 was a different direction and the caravans were a good idea. The wandering monsters that could be easily avoided, the large bland maps that didn't have anywhere near the detail of homm 3, the ranged retailiation, being retaliated through castle walls, having fewer factions, forcing you to only choose a few units for your army instead of your choice of the whole set with your current funds, heroes which started out getting one shot by archers but quickly became one man armies all ruined the game.

>> No.498207

>>498148

5 is very similar to Heroes 3. But a very good remake of it, i think. Also the expansions make it a great game, with all the extra unit upgrades.

I'll prob never pick up 3 again after 5. Howeer I still return to 2.

>> No.498228

>>498207
Yeah, 5 is very similar to 3, I just prefer 3. There really isn't a single major thing that would make me switch from 3 to 5, and there are things about it that annoy me when compared to 3 (squares in battle, art direction in some places).

>> No.498235

Release date(s)
NA March 28, 2002
DEU April 25, 2002

>> No.498241

>>498228

I think Heroes 5 art direction and music is slightly closer to heroes 2, which I prefer to Heroes 3.

I also think the skill system is more worked out, and I really dig the 2x creature upgrades that comes with the expansions.

Factionwise, we're missing Conflux (shitty anyway) and Fortress. Unfortunate, Fortress was my fav in Heroes 3 apart from Necropolis.

>> No.498247

>>498228
What about the alternate upgrade armies from the expansion, or the custom battles you can play a friend on or how different factions have unique mechanics like the dwarves runes?

>> No.498249

>>498235
>platforms launched in 1999 and earlier.
>platforms
It works on Win95/98 so gtfo.

>> No.498268

>>498241
>I also think the skill system is more worked out
Agreed here.

>I really dig the 2x creature upgrades that comes with the expansions.
I don't care much for that. IMO Homm4 got it right (though I hated it at first), the game could be entirely without upgrades as far as I'm concerned, but I'm fine either way.

>I think Heroes 5 art direction and music is slightly closer to heroes 2, which I prefer to Heroes 3.
>Factionwise, we're missing Conflux (shitty anyway) and Fortress. Unfortunate, Fortress was my fav in Heroes 3 apart from Necropolis.
I prefer the Homm3 towns/design to 2/5. But you're right that conflux sucks.

>>498247
>how different factions have unique mechanics like the dwarves runes?
It's nice, but not something that would sway me to 5.