[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 70 KB, 500x375, 1481987306_22cart7[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4937131 No.4937131 [Reply] [Original]

PSIO update - most pre-orders will be shipping mid to late August.

PSIO have also partnered with StoneAgeGamer for the retail release.

Who's hyped?

>> No.4937136

>>4937131
MY BODY IS READY

>> No.4937138

Isn't PSX the worst hardware for running PS1 games?

>> No.4937140

>>4937138
>PSX
you can’t even get the basics right

>> No.4937153

>>4937140 (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you) (you)

>> No.4937164

>>4937131
Not me. Not anymore.
After the PS2 HDD loader now works perfectly.

Still going to get one for my 7502 though.

>> No.4937169

>>4937164
>After the PS2 HDD loader now works perfectly.
???????????

PS2 can load ps1 iso games now?
since when?
how is this not news across the internet

>> No.4937195

>>4937164
Since fucking when? I have fmb and a drive adaptor and the only solution for PS1 was software emulation and far from perfect.

>> No.4937356

Is the compatibility any better? Was really bad last time I checked up on it and the authors weren't doing much to fix it.

>>4937164

You must have downloaded that in your dreams, homeboy. No such thing exists for PS1 games and never will.

>> No.4937363

By the time this gadget will be usable I'll be an old man.

>> No.4937370

>>4937131
>Who's hyped?
>We are currently assembling your PSIO Cartridge. We ask that you please be patient with us whilst we accomplish this task. Your order details are shown below for reference:
Me!

>> No.4937371

>>4937131
What are we talking about here?

>> No.4937384

>>4937371
Asking this for me too.

I've been playing ps1 games on my ps2 for a long time with no other additional hardware or whatever. I'm new to the finer points of retro gaming I guess and wanna learn

>> No.4937385

>>4937356
Never will? It wouldn't surprise me if someone got it working, the scene isn't completely dead.

>> No.4937398

My modded PSOne and folder of backups work just fine and are way less expensive

>> No.4937401

>>4937384
It's for us dirty pirates and those trying to eliminate the mechanical liabilities of optical disc based consoles

Does it still require soldering?

>> No.4937434

>>4937356
>Out of all official 2,435 software titles, PSIO is so far 99.8% compatible (as of 15/JUNE/2018)

http://ps-io.com/faq/

>> No.4937443

>>4937434
Stop it anon I can only get so erect

>> No.4937446

>>4937164
Are you referring to the no longer in development POPStarter with crap compatibility?

>> No.4937447

>>4937385

Yeah maybe, I just can't see anyone having the patience to see it through this late in the game. In theory all the shit to make it work is there, it just seems like it would take a miracle in programming terms to get the 'PS1 side' of the PS2 to recognize a hard drive of any sort. When the popstarter software emulator was getting updated semi-regularly I thought it might go somewhere but that thing really wasn't up to scratch.

>> No.4937503

>>4937169
>>4937356
It has been able to do so for years, POPS to load from the internal hard drive that is.
Previously it just had problems with some games loading from the hard drive because the storage interface routine was off. Works over OPL too unifying PS1 and PS2 games under a single nice interface.

>>4937195
FAT PS2s use POPS in hardware more, no software emulation. Some Slims do too if you use the older files, but the main point here was using it off the internal drive.

>>4937446
It's community driven. There are newer releases released by random nobodies on forums fixing things. For the longest time the only problem with compatibility was the bad storage interface routines.

>> No.4937510
File: 28 KB, 221x355, 1509548191951.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4937503
>POPS

>> No.4937519

>>4937510
That's indeed what the PS2 uses to play PS1 games.

>> No.4937530

>>4937131
>need to add a configurable oscillator to properly display out-of-region games
yeah... no.

>> No.4937535

>>4937401
of course
>>4937503
>FAT PS2s use POPS in hardware more, no software emulation.
wrong, it's still full-blown emulation.
always was, always will be.

>> No.4937547

>>4937530

is this just for playing PAL games on NTSC systems, and vice versa? I would assume you wouldn't need anything else to play any Japanese import titles on a US system.

>> No.4937552

>>4937535
>wrong, it's still full-blown emulation.
>always was, always will be.
Except it's not. For example, the I/O processor of the PS2 is used as the CPU for PS1 games. POPS is code that's in the PS2 BIOS and automatically switches the system into PS1 mode when it detects a PS1 game.
You do know that PS2 backwards compatibility was an official thing.

POPS is the official PS1 emulator from Sony, depending on the hardware it's being used on, it varies between native and emulation. For example, even on the PSP, the CPU code gets directly executed on the MIPS CPU. Recently I also found out that the PS1 graphics routines also get natively executed by the PS2s GPU.
POPS Starter on the other hand is a piece of software made by SCEI to initialize POPS.

>> No.4937556

>>4937530
>>4937547
This is irrelevant when you use RGB.
You can play any region game without having to configure anything as long as you use RGB. That's what's so great about the PlayStation, no hardware side region locking.

>> No.4937601

>>4937552
Then why do games run like shit when I use popstarter and run fine if I burn them to a disk?

>> No.4937615

>>4937601
Because POPS Starter had to implement data access routines, that's what 99% of POPS Starter is, software to emulate a CD ROM drive for the native POPS emulator. That's where all the incompatibles came from, like textures not loading or videos not playing. Luckily we have smart people with nothing to do who mod and hack such things. POPS Starter wasn't meant to be used to anything but a single game before it was repurposed.

>> No.4937617

>>4937552

You're talking complete shit anon. Popstarter was created from the emulator inside a Bishi Bashi compilation game, its compatibility is bad purely because it was never intended to do much besides play low-spec, 2D games. The hacks done to it since haven't changed that, you can a few more games but overall compatibility is still godawful.

The only way to initialize the native PS1 support from a homebrew standpoint is through the Popsloader .elf, which you can use to play CD-Rs if you have either a slimline PS2 with blocked sensors or a slide card to open the door on a phat PS2. You CAN'T initialize this to read a hard drive because it works in native PS1 mode, the console can't even detect a hard drive nor a USB input or anything else the PS2 introduced. If you're so keen on insisting it can feel free to prove it.

>> No.4937649

>>4937617
>You're talking complete shit anon. Popstarter was created from the emulator inside a Bishi Bashi compilation game
You can't read. I explained all this already:
>>4937552
>POPS Starter on the other hand is a piece of software made by SCEI to initialize POPS.
>>4937615
>POPS Starter wasn't meant to be used to anything but a single game before it was repurposed.

POPS Starter is:
>>4937615
>that's what 99% of POPS Starter is, software to emulate a CD ROM drive for the native POPS emulator.
That's it, it's a tiny application compared to POPS when you rip POPS from PS2 BIOS. I use POPS Starter with the native PS2 BIOS POPS straight from the BIOS. No 3rd party files required. POPS Starter has no PS1 system emulator in it, just routines for CD ROM.

>>4937617
>The only way to initialize the native PS1 support...
I'm sorry to tell you but as I already mentioned before you wrote all this shit, POPS is the native Sony emulator for PS1, POPS Starter is just a CD-ROM emulator that runs actual native POPS. POPS and POPS Starter are two different things, POPS Starter literary means it starts POPS. Also yes, you lose any active control over the internal HDD or USB when you use it, because the system is indeed in PS1 mode, it can only stream data from them, as the controllers are initialized in PS2 mode and remain initialized. That's the reason you have to use defragmented files to play PS1 games from USB or hard drive, it gets directly fetched, like streaming from a CD.

>If you're so keen on insisting it can feel free to prove it.
POPS Starter requires native POPS to be present, either in BIOS or as separate files. POPS Starter itself has NO emulation files, it uses Sony's own layer for it and depending on the system you run it on, it can run a variety of code natively.

I'm actually a retro computer geek and know a few things about programming and how these things work.

>> No.4937652
File: 18 KB, 500x500, 41KwcuECfIL[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4937617
>either a slimline PS2 with blocked sensors or a slide card to open the door on a phat PS2
Or a fliptop PS2 - But I still prefer PC emulation. I do have the girls at Cash America watching out for a 4-usb PS3 for me not that it's especially /vr/ related but it may end up working better for me now that they can be softmodded again. Has that exploit from earlier this year even been patched yet or does Sony not really care anymore?

>> No.4937703

>>4937552
That's by no means how it works, where did you get such bullshit from?

>> No.4937709

>>4937552
That's exactly the means of how it works, where did you get such brilliance from?

>> No.4937732

Would I be able to run NTSC-J from this assuming I have a NTSC-U console?

>> No.4937740

>>4937652
the fuck am i looking at? is that a mod or the very first PS2?

>> No.4937759

>>4937649
>I'm actually a retro computer geek and know a few things about programming and how these things work.
Being a fizzbuzz master doesn't mean you "know a few things about programming", especially if you accompany it with so much misinformation about the PS2's backwards compatibility.

>> No.4937767

>>4937740
It's a mod.

They're quite hard to get a hold of nowadays.

>> No.4937769

>>4937649
How did you convince yourself of all this bullshit? Krhacken’s wiki even refers to it as a software emulator and he’s the one that worked on the fucking thing. You are wrong.

>> No.4937791

>>4937652
Cursed image

>> No.4937840

>>4937759
I'm smart enough to see how POPS Starter works in injection with POPS and read documentation on how POPS works with the real hardware.
You don't have to take my word for it, you can go ask any development forum that deals with homebrew. The part about PSP compatibility I actually know personally from the PSP homebrew days. There's no need to be mad, you can learn about these things too.

>>4937769
I start to understand now that you people don't have much of an idea about POPS and POPS Starter, you mix them up most of the time.
krHACKen talks about POPS Starter, NOT POPS. POPS Starter is an emulator that implements data access instructions (as I tried to simplify it, a CD-ROM emulator for POPS) and a way to call POPS from software from the PS2, this was explained already and where it came from. POPS is Sony's official PlayStation emulator that depending on the hardware it runs on, emulates more or less, it sits in the PS2 BIOS, MIPS PS1 code and graphics instructions get natively executed on the hardware itself, most of the emulation and emulator are for smaller things and to get things into the right mode to execute properly. POPS itself can in fact run fully a software based emulation, it however does not do it on FAT PS2s and only a varying degree on Slim ones also not for the CPU on the PSP.

>> No.4937841

>>4937131
I'm excited for this but too bad I don't have an older model only stuck with a 9001 which I don't believe it supports yet, a well PS1 are still cheap to get by itself.

>> No.4937846

>>4937840
>The part about PSP compatibility I actually know personally from the PSP homebrew days.
Oh, in that case you know that POPS is a JIT emulator and doesn't execute PS1's code natively no matter where it runs. You know that, right?

>> No.4937904

>>4937846
Are you pulling things out your ass? Sounds like you've heard "JIT" being mentioned around emulators and try to make a argument.

But no. You don't have to take my word for it though.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/investigating-the-psps-psone-emulator-article
https://code.google.com/archive/p/pops-gte/wikis/DisasmHints.wiki
https://github.com/uofw/upspd/wiki/CPU
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSP/comments/7cijeg/does_psp_have_input_lag_in_ps1_games/

>> No.4937923
File: 1.12 MB, 480x360, 1523995291884.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I emulate, but it's the official sony emulator so it's still good even though games run like shit

>> No.4937946

>>4937840
>it sits in the PS2 BIOS
Now that's just bullshit. PS2's bootrom doesn't contain even a single bit of POPS. If you read the POPStarter guide the very first step tells you that it doesn't include it and you have to obtain it yourself.
>Since POPS (the emulator) is copyrighted by SONY, it can not be redistributed with POPStarter. You have to find it. It’s made of 2 files (for HDD mode)...

>MIPS PS1 code and graphics instructions get natively executed on the hardware itself
PS2's backwards compatibility with original PS1 discs is handled via PS1DRV which reboots the PS2's IOP into PS1 mode that underclocks it to PS1 speeds for native code compatibility, while the EE is used to emulate the PS1's GTE. EE emulating the GTE also allows for the smoothing filter that you might enable in the BIOS. GS is only used for its RAMDAC and isn't used to render PS1 games in the slightest. POPS is also not used as it's physically not in the bootrom.
>>4937904
POPS uses dynarec to translate PS1's code to run on PSP, it by no means runs it natively. The only links you posted that support your claims are the first where the author speculates so and the last where a random redittor just says so.
http://wololo.net/2015/09/16/playstation-20th-anniversary-psx-exploits-work/

Don't claim knowledge about shit you have very little idea about.

>> No.4937949

>>4937840

You started this reply chain by stating "the PS2 HDD loader works perfectly" in regards to loading PS1 games and all you've done since is bicker over semantics. Show me one source on the entire internet that backs up your claim that this is a thing that works.

>> No.4937973

>>4937946
>Now that's just bullshit. PS2's bootrom doesn't contain even a single bit of POPS. If you read the POPStarter guide the very first step tells you that it doesn't include it and you have to obtain it yourself.
>You have to find it. It’s made of 2 files (for HDD mode)...
Exactly, as I told you, POPS != POPS Starter. POPS is copyrighted Sony software and not shared. The HDD mode files are just POPS modified to work with the HDD and POPS Starter, it even says that right there. On the PS2 they sit in the BIOS, on the PSP they are in the firmware files.

>PS2's backwards compatibility with original PS1 discs is handled via PS1DRV which reboots the PS2's IOP into PS1 mode that underclocks it to PS1 speeds for native code compatibility, while the EE is used to emulate the PS1's GTE. EE emulating the GTE also allows for the smoothing filter that you might enable in the BIOS. GS is only used for its RAMDAC and isn't used to render PS1 games in the slightest. POPS is also not used as it's physically not in the bootrom.
Exactly (again), POPS literary is the software layer when used natively on the PS2 and utilizing PS1DRV. PS1DRV actually does access GS registers.

>POPS uses dynarec to translate PS1's code to run on PSP, it by no means runs it natively. The only links you posted that support your claims are the first where the author speculates so and the last where a random redittor just says so.
It's instructions being executed natively, 95% of the time there is no dynamic recompilation, just the native PSP CPU. Now you're just confusing these things with PSP emulation, not PS1 on the PSP.

>Don't claim knowledge about shit you have very little idea about.
That's very ironic coming from you. Jesus Christ you people can be stupid.

>> No.4938019

>>4937973
>POPS literary is the software layer when used natively on the PS2 and utilizing PS1DRV.
That's horseshit and you pulled that out of your ass.
>On the PS2 they sit in the BIOS
No they don't. There's not a single byte of POPS in the PS2's bootrom. The POPS was only found in Bishi Bashi Stepchamp 3 (SLBB-00001).
At this point I believe you're doing the "I was just pretending" routine so I'm not even going to bother anymore. Have a nice day.

>> No.4938026

>>4938019
>The POPS was only found in Bishi Bashi Stepchamp 3 (SLBB-00001).
Not him but that actually was POPS_Starter, not POPS-00001

>> No.4938048

>>4937946
>GS is only used for its RAMDAC and isn't used to render PS1 games in the slightest
BZZZZZZT wrong.

I think you're confusing GTE with the PS1's GPU. GTE does not render or texture the PS1's graphics, it is a vertex processing unit. While is true that the EE emulates GTE (it does this by running a microcoded GTE style program on one of its vector units), EE does not run a software emulated PS1 GPU.

What "emulates" the PS1 GPU is actually GS, because GS is nothing more than an array of enhanced PS1 GPUs. This is obvious to anybody who has read documentation on GS's blending operations - because it shares the same blending quirks as PS1 in places. It is literally register compatible with PS1's GPU and can run the same programs. The way smoothing works, is that if a register flag is enabled on GS, it will bilinear filter any texture that is sent its way.

>Don't claim knowledge about shit you have very little idea about.
Oh the irony

>> No.4938051

>>4938026
>POPStarter is a launcher which lets you play your PS1 games in combination with $ony's PS1 emulator for PS2 (known as "POPS" or "SLBB-00001").

>> No.4938093

>>4938048
>>What "emulates" the PS1 GPU is actually GS, because GS is nothing more than an array of enhanced PS1 GPUs.
>It is literally register compatible with PS1's GPU and can run the same programs.
Sure, that's the reason it works so goddamn well. Anyways, let's look at how does PS1's 240p suite perform on a PS2, shall we? This vid from the bugreports should show it nicely - https://youtu.be/McQ1SFO3aRc..
Holy shit what happened? I thought they could run the same programs, how is it possible? And if we read the author's reply ( https://github.com/filipalac/240pTestSuite-PS1/issues/1#issuecomment-393521124 ) his slim doesn't exhibit this behavior. GS on slim is the same as the GS on fats, just on a smaller node/integrated with EE so it can't be it. Could it be that it's emulation quirk, like he says?

>> No.4938113

>>4938093
I would say that is down to bugs in the GS silicon which got fixed in later revisions. Remember it's not literally the PS1 GPU, Sony grafted shitloads of stuff on top of the original pipeline and then stitched a bunch of them together.

Your comment is about as stupid as saying that the Mega Drive VDP doesn't emulate the Master System VDP because the Master System VDP can emulate SG-1000 games and the Mega Drive's VDP can't within its emulation of the Master System. I mean, shit, in the process of upgrading the Master System VDP into the Mega Drive VDP they just happened to break what was needed to make SG-1000 modes work. It happens dude.

>> No.4938139

I've been waiting months for this fucking thing. If it's not in my hands before the end of the year I will choke a bitch, because my cd drive probably has one more year in it at best.

>> No.4938164

>>4938113
>I would say that is down to bugs in the GS silicon which got fixed in later revisions.
How come no document has ever mentioned any GS fixes? The EE revision fixing for example the short loop bug is documented, so it perplexes me why I couldn't find anything regarding the GS.

>> No.4938172

>>4938164
Just merging EE and GS into one die would have required a silicon revision to both cores to make it work.

>> No.4938193
File: 57 KB, 640x480, kaigai01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4938172
I know there's tons of shrinks, doesn't mean that they've fixed anything. Again, what was that they've fixed that made it work?

>> No.4938215

>>4938193
Beats me, but it doesn't change the fact that PS1 GPU instructions run on GS when you put a PS1 disk into the PS2.

>> No.4938234

>>4937556

>muh RGB

what about for people who aren't autists?

>> No.4938242
File: 363 KB, 1153x925, 1519458871093.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4938234
where do you think we are

>> No.4938246

>>4938234
I reckon it's less autistic than fitting a different colorburst oscillator so you can continue raping your eyes with "Muh composhite" ;-)

>> No.4938259

>>4938234
But every TV I have has SCART and my PS1 already came with a official RGB SCART cable (the one with the flimsy plastic A/V connector on the PS side) 20 years ago

>>4938246
This guy has a point

>> No.4938315

>>4938215
I still can't find any information supporting your claim. Quite the contrary actually.
>Yep, PS2 is able to emulate PS1 software through a combination of hw (IOP) & sw (PS1 graphics emulation = PS1DRV)... The latter (PS1DRV) reads graphic params and initializes graphics emulator, rebooting IOP into PS1 mode. Despite of IOP take over control of PS2, the graphics is emulated using a special Sub-CPU Interface - SIF- DMA channel from the IOP to PS1DRV on the EE-side
>It looks like the EE is emulating the Playstation 2 GPU via the SIF2 channel (DMA channel 2 on the IOP-side), and deals with something known as the "PGIF" (Nobody seems to know what that is, and it is not documented anywhere but mentioned only in the EE kernel itself).
>Only the GPU of the PlayStation was always emulated in software within every revision of the PlayStation 2, by the EE. It's done over something that Sony seems to call the "PGIF".

Mind liking me to your sources?

>> No.4938323

>>4938315
You want to be linked to some sweaty neckbeard's ass?

Ew anon.

>> No.4938326

>>4938315
Citation?

>> No.4938327
File: 86 KB, 500x500, 1532713219356.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4937131
I'm ok OP I have pic related.

>> No.4938329

>>4938323
If the sweaty neckbeard's ass has a PS1DRV documentation or source code tattooed on it why not?

>> No.4938330

>>4938327
Do a reball with lead solder.

>> No.4938336

>>4938329
I think you didn't get the joke. The source being his ass. Like pulled out of his ass.
I actually think his statement is true though, but I'll also wait for a source.

>> No.4938340

>>4938326
1st quote - doctorxyz
2nd and 3rd quote - SP193
If that's what you're asking.
>>4938336
I did get it. Humor online is hard.

>> No.4938341

What I like right now is that I already know the facts to this argument but don't really feel like dropping myself into the conversation, specially between retarded buttblasters on a reddit knitting forum.

>> No.4938348

>>4938330
My fat ps3 has had no problems since I softmodded it and kept the fan running at a higher speed. But thanks anyways anon.

>> No.4938354

>>4938348
If you have a later generation FAT and do a reball, you can have it run very silently and last forever.

>> No.4938421
File: 33 KB, 545x377, figure2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4938315
The "PGIF" just sounds like the GIF. It's what connects EE to GS. So if the emulation is done over GIF, it basically means that the overseer program PS1DRV is using GS for its 'emulation' of the PS1 GPU.

>> No.4938436
File: 352 KB, 602x601, gif.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4938421
It does, but they're 2 different things.

>> No.4938448

>>4938436
If I had a guess what PGIF was, it's probably a special interface for IOP to directly connect to GIF (and thus GS) with as little arbitration in the middle as possible.

>> No.4938476

>>4938448
That's retarded. Why would you go through EE (and VU1) if the IOP can access GS directly over system bus? IOP->VU1 goes over VIF1, not PGIF so that's not it.

>> No.4938515

>>4938476
>Why would you go through EE (and VU1) if the IOP can access GS directly over system bus?
The system bus is through EE though. Anyway, the whole point of a direct interface is so IOP doesn't have to go through VU1 (which means it doesn't have to go through VIF1). Pretty sure everything along the system bus has to go through GIF to get to GS.

Either that or PGIF actually has its own pins that go directly to GS. It could stand for Processor Graphical Interface, Processor meaning IOP.

In any case, the reason I'm standing by this theory is because the alternative (EE does PS1 GPU rendering in software) is completely idiotic. Why would Sony design GS with all of the detrimental fucked up PS1 quirks unless it was going to be used for BC? Using the hardware in this way is also consummate with the way they used the PS2's audio chip, which is basically two "enhanced" PS1 audio chips duct taped together. Why would they limit enhancements only to texture filtering if the rasterization was in software? The whole power of the EE could easily handle the entire rasterizing the whole PS1 library at 640x480. Why did they even include the MIPS IOP in the first place if they were just gonna do software rendering?

The idea that GS isn't majorly used for PS1 backwards compatibility borders on the insane.

>> No.4938527

This thread is a massive heap of mumbo jumbo.

Do you claim: You can download PSX ISO's, load them onto your HDD, and play them WITHOUT emulation?

If so, provide a video as source. Literally everything to do with PS2 has a video guide and exhibition.

If NOT:
Fuck you and your massive campaign of disinfo

>> No.4938576

>>4938515
>Why would they limit enhancements only to texture filtering if the rasterization was in software?
At launch they said that even though the PS2 could do that, the only enhancements would be the texture smoothening and fast disc reading to maintain perfect compatibility. I might find the exact quote later.
>Why did they even include the MIPS IOP in the first place if they were just gonna do software rendering?
That's what they were trying to achieve with POPS later on, however the compatibility suffered.

>> No.4938665

>>4938515
PGIF is SIF. Its naming is dependent on whether it's being used in PS1 mode where it serves the purpose of GIF, or PS2 mode where it's a general purpose SubCPU interface. Nothing more.

>> No.4938669

I have a junk ps2, can I really play ps1 games from the HDD?

>> No.4938728

>>4938669
seconding this... i have a slim PS2 with FMcBoot, no modchip.

I can run games from a USB flashdrive at he moment and would like to know if i can do the same with PS1 games. I would like that better than loading Isos on my modded PS3.

>> No.4938738

>>4938728
Is that usb thing a good option?. I dont think I even have the cables for the console

>> No.4938789

>>4937767
Don't blame me. I tried to inform everyone here when a batch of them were discovered in France a couple years ago and caught a 1 day ban for shilling. Got mine tho

You can still find a PS2 with one installed pop up now and then on eBay for decent prices if you watch closely, kind of like how a lot of anons got their Gamecube progressive scan cables.

>> No.4938819

>>4938728
>>4938669
>>4938527

I'm certain the one dude that stated this was only interested in starting an argument and finding an excuse to brag about how much of a "retro computer geek" he was before getting dogpiled and ran out for stating complete bullshit repeatedly.

Aside from the shitty popstarter homebrew anons have brought up, you can't do it. At all. That's just the reality of it right now.

>> No.4939403

>>4938576
>the only enhancements would be the texture smoothening and fast disc reading to maintain perfect compatibility
Except that quote only makes sense if rasterisation was on GS. Rendering at a high resolution in software would not affect compatibility at all.

>>4938665
Well that’s exactly my point then. It’s SIF when it’s a mere I/O interface in PS2 mode, but a connection to GS one way or another when in PS1 mode. No software rasterisation happens between the IOP, PGIF and GS.

>> No.4939420

>>4938738
no, they run slow as fuck because it's usb 1.0. i've heard running an ethernet cable to an SMB share works better.

>>4937740
common way to load burned games back when lik-sang was still a thing. free mcboot is a better option nowadays.

my interest level in the PSIO depends on pricing, if they're cheap enough i'll pick one up but i've already got a chipped ps1.

>> No.4939434

>>4939420
this is the thing I use
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0Pzp5Q3Ov4

>> No.4939464

I've been running my PS1 CD backups by using the swap trick on a Slim PS2 with the elf file that stops the disc so you can make the swap. Is this a retarded way to play SP1 games? I have like 100 Burned CDs....please tell me I didn't fuck up. the only 2 games that didn't work were pepsiman (no music in 1st level), & the PS Magazine issue with the Jade cocoon demo crashed on me, but I always thought those were bad rips or that the PS2 just can't play those 2 titles properly.

>> No.4939605

>needs to modify your ps to make this shit work

>> No.4939623

>>4939605
>needs to buy overpriced games on the artificially inflated retro games market in order to play said games on real hardware

>> No.4939627

>>4938738
Best option FAT with internal HDD, second is ethernet, third is USB.

>> No.4939630

>>4938819
But we have been talking this whole time.

>> No.4939643

>>4939420
>no, they run slow as fuck because it's usb 1.0
It's USB 1.1 and with the newest drivers it works more or less fine, even FMVs play smoothly without stuttering.

>> No.4939667

I see there are some SATA chinese adapters for HDD anyone has experience with them?, the original was IDE only

>> No.4939671

>>4937131
I load my PS1 games onto my PSP Go connected to a PS3 controller and my CRT via component.

>> No.4939696

i hope they make wipeout work since the demo version works

>> No.4939712

>>4937131
Is PSIO even a native solution? One would say yes obviously, but last I saw Wipeout XL didn't work properly which is mindblowing to me how non-emulation still has issues on a per-game basis. I don't want to buy this thing and get robbed.

>> No.4939719

>>4939643
Source for driver? This is new to me.

>> No.4939731

>>4939719
https://github.com/ifcaro/Open-PS2-Loader/releases/download/0.9.3/OpenPS2Loader_0.9.3_Betas.zip

>> No.4939738

>>4939643
>even FMVs play smoothly without stuttering.
Proof?

>> No.4939741

>>4939667
They work fine, it's just a SATA to PATA bridge inside a clone HDD adapter. Slightly prettier than a home hack job would look.
Might as well use a original one though if you're going to use a SSD as it will fit nicely with the adapter, plus you'll also have ethernet, even if you'll never use it.

>> No.4939768

The PS3 sucks for PS1 because it can't do 240p

>> No.4940328

>>4937556
>This is irrelevant when you use RGB.
no, it's not, the frequency is still off.
>>4937552
>You do know that PS2 backwards compatibility was an official thing.
yes, and POPS runs as PS2-program. The console is never reset into PS1-mode, ergo software-emulation.

>> No.4940894

>>4939731

Just tried this with a few games, FMV's are still stuttering. The changelog mentions USB improvements but I can't see them.

>> No.4940898

>>4940328
>no, it's not, the frequency is still off.
What are you talking about brainlet, colour over RGB is different from over composite.

>> No.4940923

>>4940898

You really shouldn't reply to that guy anymore, he's just getting things wrong for attention.

>> No.4940941

>>4940923
He is correct with the POPS stuff.

>> No.4940950

>>4940941
Fuck off already, this is not a thread about that.

>> No.4940953

>>4940328
>ergo software-emulation.
I'm sure it's not that simple, since both share the same architecture of processors, it might be more like virtualization.

>> No.4941242

>>4938789
I appreciated it, I bought one from the ebay seller in France a few years ago on your reco. I've only used it for doing the disc swap trick to play original Japanese PS1 games so far

>> No.4941424

>>4939667
>SATA
would a 7400 RPM sata drive really help SP1 games load off a hard drive?

>> No.4942418

>>4941424
It's for PS2, SATA adapters make more sense as SATA drives are more widely available and more reliable. The biggest bottleneck is seek time though, that's true.

>> No.4942485

>Who's hyped?

ME. I'm also kind of nervous because I've never soldered before though.

>> No.4942537

>this fucking shitshow of a thread
can someone just fucking tell me if theres any alternatives to this? No i dont want gay ass emulation

>> No.4942664

>>4942537
modchip your ps1 and burn some cd's

>> No.4942736

>>4940898
>What are you talking about brainlet
read and learn a thing or two:
https://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5744.msg39689#msg39689

>> No.4942762
File: 2.84 MB, 5312x2988, psx laser sled change.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been using a modded game shark for years with burned media. Never a single issue. Lasers are $20-30 and need replaced once.

If this psio actually works well would the PSX actually become more valuable as a hipster centerpiece?....other then being a meme cd player

PSX are dirt cheap on the internet. Would there ever be a rise in price? is now a good time to start collecting? Id like to rip off some nostalgia nerds in the next 5 years.

>> No.4943000

>>4937503
nice bait but you're way off. POPS is shit with FAT or SLIM through FMB

>> No.4943015

>>4942537

What >>4942664 said, alternatively you can hack a gameshark to load cd's too. That's literally it though, this whole thread was one idiot baiting everyone with false info over and over.

>> No.4943910

>>4937164
i have a 2tb sata drive hooked up to my slim and i have no room for ps1 ganes

>> No.4943940

>>4943910
Sara drive on a ps2 slim? How?

>> No.4943946

>>4937138
It's basically a PS2 so why would it be?

>> No.4943949
File: 52 KB, 800x681, sata ide adopter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4943940

>> No.4943950

>>4937519
No it's indeed what isn't.

>> No.4944670

>>4943940
on a first-version slim (scph70000) you can solder an IDE-cable to the solder-pads of the removed drive-connector and then use >>4943949 .
too bad that model has other serious issues.

>> No.4944875

>>4944670
You don't have to solder anything, just pop in the connector or buy a ready made SATA PS2 HDD adapter (beware, cheap ones have no ethernet)

>> No.4944890

>people still think POPS is full software emulation
It's both and it's neither, it's like using virtualization software on a PC instead of DOSBox (with native being running it directly on the host/hardware).

>> No.4945021

>>4944875
>(beware, cheap ones have no ethernet)
No network adapter other than genuine Sony ones have ethernet.

>> No.4945594

>>4945021
>No network adapter other than genuine Sony ones have ethernet.
There are ones that use the normal Sony PCB but with a proper cut out metal shield and built in SATA adapter. Those are more expensive.

>> No.4946450

>>4937131
THANK ME LATTER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKNL9PZM11o&t=463s

>> No.4946481

>>4939623
What? My modded original psx still works. You can still download and burn games for free.

>> No.4946992

>>4944875
>just pop in the connector
>slim
pick 1

>> No.4947003

>>4946450
This is old news, retro PC faggots have been doing this for years.
But good you posted this, it is a good idea.

>> No.4949480

>>4946481
I'm with you on this one.
Why the fuck would anyone spend $150 on this shit? There's a free loader with the gameshark, you don't even need to mod your ps1 to play burned games.

>> No.4949578

>>4949480
Is it easier to get one of these than the correct gameshark? I remember trying in vain to get the right Action Replay back when you could flash them as a full on dev tool. You had to have 1 specific revision and surprise surprise it was long discontinued by the time the mod got popular.

>> No.4949604

>>4949578
You can get an MM3 chip for $8

>> No.4950380

>>4949578

You can flash the unirom homebrew to just about any gameshark now I think, they're not hard to get a hold of.

>> No.4950549

>>4949604
8 bucks? I got mine for 3 with free shipping

>> No.4951245
File: 3.50 MB, 2448x3264, IMG_20180803_120030851.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4949578
>>4950380
This.

Mine's on pic related 50p piece of shit.