[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.39 MB, 1613x789, legend-of-zelda-nes-logo-jp-79004.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4923334 No.4923334 [Reply] [Original]

Name a single flaw.

>> No.4923340

It triggers a lot of people.

>> No.4923342

The English translation.

>> No.4923343

>>4923334
Missing sound channels in the us

>> No.4923345

>>4923334
Octoroks are like the hardest boss monster in video games and make this game totally unplayable, I want to go back to solving puzzles in text adventure games

>> No.4923368

it ends
worst game ever overrated trash

>> No.4923463

Darknuts are shit enemys.

>> No.4923482

>>4923334
Missing sound channels in US and Europe releases, and it doesn't scroll like most other Nes and Master system games IE itgoes one screen at a time much like most MSX and ZX Spectrum games

>> No.4923486

>>4923482
The lack of scrolling is okay from the perspective of this game being more focused on exploration. It helps make sure that the level design is such that each portion of the map is made to be basically unique or at least purposefully the way that it is and also aids in player communication on certain locations of this or that.

>> No.4923535

Are we done naming issues with the NES ports? OP posted the original version.

>> No.4923630

>>4923334
There's no way to know how to bomb 99% of the bombable walls / burn 99% of the burnable trees in the game. Shit's so cryptic that you pretty much had to have Nintendo Power or have some 7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon shit going on with someone who did, unless some madman actually cost their parents $30 in 1987 money calling the Nintendo line.

>> No.4923640
File: 34 KB, 368x368, 1474512994413.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4923630
Do you want to know how I know that you've never actually played the game, and you're just parroting e-celeb talking points?

>> No.4923647

>>4923640
Go for it. I beat it for the first time on Wii VC, played it a lot before that but never got to Death Mountain before that.

>> No.4923658

>>4923647
You're only required to bomb ONE wall and burn ONE bush in the overworld. Everything else is optional. You have to burn your way into dungeon 8 and bomb your way into dungeon 9. That's all. Dungeons are a different story, but the game teaches you to bomb dungeon walls as early as dungeon 5.
Also, the game literally tells you in the manual. If you played this game when it first released, you owned the manual, and you probably read every single word of it. Manuals were incredibly important in the 80s. I wouldn't expect some underage kid who emulated it to understand, but manuals used to be a vital part of video games.

>> No.4923668

>>4923334
The subtitle ‘The Hyrule Fantasy’

>> No.4923672

>>4923658
Not even one sentence in and you show how stupid you are.

I typed:
>There's no way to know how to bomb 99% of the bombable walls / burn 99% of the burnable trees in the game.

And you replied:
>You're only required to bomb ONE wall and burn ONE bush in the overworld
>required

I never mentioned anything about a requirement. I merely pointed out that most of the bombable rocks and burnable bushes don't have any clues in the game to tell the player their location.

Unsurprising that wasting your youth poring over video game manuals wasn't enough to give you some reading comprehension. The future is now, old man, and only the literate will survive.

>> No.4923680

>FDS

Into the trash it goes

>> No.4923685

>>4923672
I named the dungeons for a reason. The game forces you to do it in dungeon 5, and you're not required to do it on the overworld until dungeon fucking 9.
By that time, you should know that bombing walls is a thing. You're also TOLD which wall on the overworld to bomb by one of the old men.

>> No.4923714

>>4923685
You keep replying. You shouldn't.
>I named the dungeons for a reason
One unknown to man. I keep telling you that I'm not talking about what the bare minimum requirement is to beat the game- I'm talking about every bombable rock and burnable tree in the overworld.

>you're not required to do it on the overworld until...
Stop trying to keep the goalpost over here.

>you should know that bombing walls is a thing
And fumble across the entire overworld bombing every rock tile to find all the bombable walls? Get real.

>You're also TOLD which wall on the overworld to bomb by one of the old men
Right. One wall. What did I type, again?

>There's no way to know how to bomb 99% of the bombable walls / burn 99% of the burnable trees in the game.
Notice that nowhere here do I mention that there's no way to know where the few walls that have to be bombed to beat the game are. Don't get tripped up on all those negatives, old timer.

>Shit's so cryptic that you pretty much had to have Nintendo Power or have some 7 Degrees of Kevin Bacon shit going on with someone who did, unless some madman actually cost their parents $30 in 1987 money calling the Nintendo line.
Again, nowhere do I mention having to use these resources to beat the game. My entire comment was solely about the other walls and trees.

Stop replying. You're obviously confused.

>> No.4923728

>>4923630

When you didn't have the manual you bombed and burned 100%. Stop watching ecelebs

>> No.4923776
File: 134 KB, 976x365, serveimage.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4923728
>When you didn't have the manual you bombed and burned 100%
Maybe you did. I hope all that wasted time hasn't brought you down any. You probably would have done something equally as retarded if you hadn't.
Just because you were dumb enough to waste time like that doesn't mean the game is excused.

>Stop watching ecelebs
I sure hope this isn't a samefag. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

>> No.4923796

>>4923776
>Just because you were dumb enough to waste time like that doesn't mean the game is excused.

I'm just telling you how it was back in the day. Even Metroid had it worse and Wizardry would like to have a word with you.

>> No.4923806

>>4923334
The best game of the franchise. I like almost all of them, but the original is just the pure distilled experience with none of the filler later titles would jam in.

>> No.4923903

Its fun just too cryptic. There should be some indications of what to do to do.

>> No.4923905

>>4923903
A $90 cartridge needs to take some time to finish.

>> No.4923909

>>4923776
Is it depressing to suck at both games and making a decent argument?

>> No.4923924

>>4923345
Oh that's a fun joke you're doing about how Aonuma hated Zelda 1 because it was too hard so he thought the series should be a text adventure. I like that.

>> No.4923928

I feel like this is a falseflagging thread.

>> No.4923942
File: 3 KB, 768x682, secret.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think the overly cryptic secrets while inexcusable today, were probably intended to be discovered through word of mouth more than anything. When the game was first released, everyone was playing and everyone was talking. All it took was for one guy to discover a hidden cave and mention it to someone for everyone to start trying things out. It could've been made clearer I suppose. More in-game clues could've been present.

That aside, I really like the replayability of Zelda 1. You can reach the end by going through dungeons in random orders, skipping over certain items entirely. You don't even need a sword to reach Ganon.

>> No.4923949

>>4923942
>Ganon
retard

>> No.4923956

>>4923949
wtf are you talking about

>> No.4923963

>>4923942
The secrets all suck though, seems like they were there to reward people randomly wasting their resources on things.

>> No.4924001

it's impossible to find out where to go.

>> No.4924026

>>4923728
And that's supposed to be "good" game design?

>> No.4924036

>>4923334
Literally early Sierra-tier puzzles.

>> No.4924078 [DELETED] 

>>4923714
>I'm talking about every bombable wall and every burnable bush
You're literally complaining about exploring for secrets in an adventure game, lol

>Explore in an adventure game? Get real
It's okay, adventure games aren't for the impatient anyway. Go play Mario

>>4923776
This is 4chan, wasted time is the worst argument you could have made. You're being called entitled due to your ignorance of the laissez faire simplicity of earlier adventure titles and your refusal to accept anything that doesn't hold your hand the whole way.

No big deal though, it's not like you were ever going to beat these types of games yourself considering your whining blatantly ignores was was an industry standard. Stop watching eplebs

>> No.4924084

>>4923714
>I'm talking about every bombable wall and every burnable bush
You're literally complaining about exploring for secrets in an adventure game, lol

>Explore in an adventure game? Get real
It's okay, adventure games aren't for the impatient anyway.

>>4923776
This is 4chan, wasted time is beyond irrelevant. Your ignorance of the laissez faire simplicity of earlier adventure titles and your refusal to accept anything that doesn't hold your hand the whole way means you're entitled trash

No big deal though, it's not like you were ever going to beat these types of games yourself considering your whining blatantly ignores what was an industry standard. Stop watching eplebs

>> No.4924090

>>4924078
There's no deleting here.

>> No.4924112

>>4924090
Fixed a typo. As you can see, I can and have.

What a weird fixation.

>> No.4924473

>>4923334
The combat and enemies arent as fleshed out as other zeldas so it gets kinda stale

>> No.4924523

no indication of what walls are bombable
arrows are rupees
rupees cap at 255

>> No.4924679

>>4924084
>You're literally complaining about exploring for secrets in an adventure game
No, I literally complained that the game doesn't give enough hints. Those NES graphics aren't advanced enough to have subtle differences in textures to give you clues, and systematically bombing every rock is hardly exploring. It's the opposite, in fact, given that you're taking the giant world and reducing it to tiles that are then categorized by whether each one can be bombed or burned.
Can you imagine doing that for the entire map? Christ.

>wasted time is beyond irrelevant
I was joking that the poster wasted their time bombing every rock in the game, not wasting their time writing on fucking 4chan. That goes without saying.

>Your ignorance of the laissez faire [...] means you're entitled trash.
What, I'm ignorant to how older games sometimes were shitty about this kind of stuff? Seems like I'm not. Neither I nor you should be giving old video games passes for obvious design flaws just because they're old.

>it's not like you were ever going to beat these types of games yourself
Has anyone beaten Zelda 1 completely on their own? Must've been a miserable experience.
>inb4 "I totally did it was 1989 and it was epic
OK dude. You probably totally figured out the Psycho Mantis trick on your own, too.

>your whining blatantly ignores what was an industry standard
Industry standard sucked. I'll talk about it. Deal with it.

>Stop watching eplebs
No need to tell me, most retro gaming channels suck. I swear, sometime around the time when Jontron started blowing up, every video game Youtube channel that did videos on retro games took his AVGN-lite thing to disguise a series of comedy skits as video game reviews.

>> No.4924727
File: 487 KB, 3239x2339, GoldenAxeWarriorMap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not as good as this one

>> No.4924730

>>4923630
I spent a day just doing exactly that, carpet bombing walls and burning trees.

>> No.4924814

>>4923334
Questionable photoshop skills?

>> No.4924835

>>4923630
>waahh I hate having to explore why didn't they put signs with arrows pointing to the breakable walls
kys

>> No.4924867

>>4924835
There is a huge, HUGE difference between "explore" and "brute force", Zelda 1 falls squarely into "brute force" territory.

YOU kill yourself, the game's design was absolute shit.

>> No.4926317

>>4924679
"Enough hints" is entirely subjective. What did you think I meant by laissez faire? There's no room for a million hints on the fuckin' NES. You're supposed to explore and discover of your own volition. That's the point of having an adventure. Having obvious tells for every secret misses the entire point of hiding secrets, systemic secret searching is still exploration and you even tacitly admitted that. If you actually think NES adventure games need "enough hints", when the NES is infamous for being difficult, you're an entitled trashheap.

Did you forget how testing your inventory against your environment has been in every adventure game that has items? You realise this has been a thing since DnD, don't you? It's a shame you don't find discovering a fantasy world's secrets rewarding. If you didn't force yourself to play genres you don't have the patience for just because the IP is culturally significant, you wouldn't waste your time arguing against industry standard adventure game design due to your own indignation.

You're the real joke here, wasting your time arguing on 4chan against things you don't care to understand. You're so concerned about wasted time bombing rocks and here you are mashing out your incoherent opinion ad nauseam. You're such a hypocrite dude

Your lack of patience isn't the game's fault, that's your character flaw. If you can't appreciate a game's design within the context it existed, you clearly only play retro for its trendiness (gag)

Oh that's right, adventures are supposed to be 100% comfy with no tribulations... Not. You're ignoring how the payoff in adventures isn't just the endgame, it's in the journey.

>OK dude

Discounting the effort of something you can't even be bothered to do yourself doesn't put you in the best light. NaCl

>Industry standard sucked. I'll talk about it. Deal with it.

I am, by calling you impatient, incompetent and entitled. Ignoramus

This is "stop liking what I don't like": The argument. Cry harder

>> No.4926597

>>4923630
I played through this entire game earlier this year for the first time without using any materials except a pdf of the manual and found plenty of secrets. Let me fill you in on how to find where nintendo placed bombable walls. If the wall tiles on the overworld are uneven then you can probably bomb it. If it seems out of place you can probably bomb it. Its really not that hard if your not an idiot

>> No.4926672

>>4926597
>b-but, muh protips

Thank you. I'm honestly astonished when people can't be bothered to observe a game's environment when the genre is literally about role playing.