[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 672 KB, 1024x724, edea_kramer_by_dasixthmonth-db2kxjr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4898379 No.4898379 [Reply] [Original]

>tfw you've finished ff8 approximately 30 times since 1999 and it is your favorite game ever and you are doing your first no junctioning magic challenge run and you one shot Edea at the end of disc 2 and it is a ton of fun but you forget to make backup saves of it so you can do it over and over whenever you want for more fun

>> No.4898389

whats good about ff8? I've played every other final fantasy except it

>> No.4898392 [DELETED] 

ff8 is good, but not that good. Especially when considering DUAL ORB 2 came out prior

>> No.4898404

>>4898389
Story is interesting, towns/settings are dope, characters are cool (though I am probably biased), junction system is godtier when you understand it and it allows for tons of fun customization, limit breaks are great, magic is the best in the series, card game minigame is the best minigame in video games, good monster design, summons are fun, card mod is REALLY fun, refining magic from items that you get is how you acquire like 99% of your magic and a lot of fun. The opinion that 7 is better than 8 is honestly pretty reddit tier/casual normie gamer tier. People who have played the game once or twice try to poke holes in the story but they never really hold up. People also shit on it because they don't understand the junction system and they think that you actually draw magic lol. It's annoying and I will defend this game until the day I die.

>> No.4898409

>>4898389
Abilities that let you turn off random battles.

>> No.4898421 [DELETED] 
File: 1.31 MB, 640x1158, DUALORB2OGCOVER.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4898392
Based

>> No.4898427

Playing ff8 with Squall and two casters is the best way to play the game. Casters in ff8 have access to all magic and casting Cerberus to buff double and triple on your party makes it so much better. I was fighting Edea and using double Cura to heal two people at the same time, buffing the entire party with Shell in one turn and nuking her with 3x Ultima in a single turn. When I was younger I used Squall, Zell and Irvine and just shit dumpstered everything with physical damage but playing ff8 with two casters is so elegant and adds an entirely new level of greatness to the game.

I know it sounds gay because of their love interest, but Squall and Rinoa are set in stone because Lion Heart and Wishing Star hit like trains and Rinoa's Angel Wing can be fun to use as well but obviously it isnt viable for complicated fights like Ultima or Omega. Last slot goes to Quistis or Selphie depending on which limit break I want to use in that particular play through.

>> No.4898431 [DELETED] 

>>4898379
DUAL ORB 2 was significantly better than FF8, and it came out a few years prior.

>> No.4898432
File: 45 KB, 600x349, 1531020732167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4898427
Magic in ff8 is by far the best in the series. If you like ff8 and haven't used double casters then you're really missing out. Get on it asap.

>> No.4898481 [DELETED] 

>>4898392
Dual Orb 2 is good but no where near as good as ff8 or dual orb 5

>> No.4898506

I'm glad there's a hard mode / rebalance patch so I can play normally while using the game's features and not be overly overpowered.

>> No.4898512

>>4898506
Got a link for that? I might give it a go after I am done with my no magic junction run. I'm currently playing it through steam though.

>> No.4898520

>>4898512
search for ffviii requiem

I played it on PS1, but there's a (more recent) patch that (apparently) work with the steam version that I never tried

Patch is not balls to the wall hard kind of thing, but it'll still mess with you a lot more than the original did. Also kills some dumb stuff like stat bonus on level up, or grinding for Stat Up items (aka, they're not the solution to any trouble you may have since they're gone)

beware if you try to fight Diablos early

>> No.4898526

>>4898520
Thanks. As for Diablos early...that makes me sad to hear. Every time I play this game I get Diablos as soon as I get the lamp and then once I have his card (and Ifrits) I farm Zell, Seifer and Quistis cards before leaving for Timber :(

>> No.4898527 [DELETED] 

>>4898392
>a hundred FF8 threads
>dual orb 2 guy always comes in
I think it might even be a samefag every time. Some guy who is hellbent on convincing Dual Orb 2 is better than FF8.

>> No.4898532

>>4898526
it's not 100% impossible to do him early, but it's painful. You're gonna need to revive a char every few seconds.

>> No.4898534

I always thought Edea was way hotter then the main girls. I guess I have a thing for older women.

>> No.4898535 [DELETED] 

>>4898527
>a hundreds ff8 threads
This is why /vr/ is the best forum on the internet.

>> No.4898541

Has everyone secretly just been tsundere for FF8 this whole time?

>> No.4898560
File: 22 KB, 750x420, 1530503043430.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4898404
My nigger.

>> No.4898563

>>4898541
I honestly kind of hope so.
FF8 has been my favorite FF of all time since 99 and I've always thought it was leagues better than FF7 even though I played it first back then and everything.

>> No.4898569
File: 84 KB, 500x333, 3290218387_474ebde0d9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4898560

>> No.4898581 [DELETED] 
File: 98 KB, 400x400, 1471979553872.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4898392
I'm convinced there is but one Dual Orb poster

>> No.4898592

>>4898534
Edea is wicked hot desu

>> No.4898624

>>4898532
What did they change that makes Diablos such a shitfest? I arrogantly assume that I can do it given my mastery of ff8 but lol it would be funny to be rekt like that

>> No.4898631

>>4898624
a few AI scripts got changed, and Diablos can cast Death now and it has pretty much 100% success rate while you're early with no immunities

His speed also seem rather high, so he'll get a lot of turns.

>> No.4898636

>>4898631
oh and speaking of, you can no longer be fully immune to status effects

by immunity I rather mean.. some degree of resistance

On another note, getting Lionheart in disc1 doesn't even break the game anymore. It's a nice bonus, but it won't kill everything in 1 limit break.

>> No.4898649

>>4898636
I never did figure it out but I thought that 100 of the spell you want to negate to status defense = 100% chance to block it. 99 of the spell = 99% chance to block, etc.

Diablos casting Death sounds retarded fun. I'll have to give this a go once I am done with this challenge run. Did they do anything to cards?

>> No.4898650

>>4898649
All junctions are weaker, so they're not strong enough to get you to 100% anymore (even if you stack multiple spells, but you can get it decent high that way)

>> No.4898653

>>4898649
Oh and cards are the same, you can abuse them all you want like before. This does make the early game easier but it evens out fairly early.

At least all I said was like this on the PS1 version, the newer patch I'm not sure how it is.

>> No.4898661

>>4898653
Thanks man. Definitely checking this out. All those years of ff8 have led to this moment.

>> No.4898726 [DELETED] 

>>4898661
Hype

>> No.4898794 [DELETED] 

>>4898389
Play it

>> No.4898828

>>4898649
Confirm that 99 spells = 99% chance to block that particular spell?

>> No.4898876 [DELETED] 

>>4898828
Please, this is interesting

>> No.4898926 [DELETED] 

>>4898535
This, in good boards the best games are the ones that get attention

>> No.4899102 [DELETED] 

>>4898581
It isnt. I posted 1, and 2 others posted about it. DUAL ORB 2 is way better than FF8 in every aspect.

>> No.4899103

>>4898379
Stop spamming these threads.

>>4898392
Stupid forced meme.

>>4898389
It's just really weird, and its weirdness is endearing. You can break the game with the right abilities and make it super easy, which is comfy if you just want to waltz through the game and see the story without worrying about combat. The story has a lot of weird shit. It kinda just feels like the staff were all on drugs when they made it, there's nothing else quite like it.

>> No.4899313 [DELETED] 

>>4898876
I believe that this is the case

>> No.4899365

>>4899103

It was the late 90s and they were making more money than ever before, the staff on drugs theory is more than plausible.

>> No.4899395

>>4899365
Japan and drugs though idk...

>> No.4899584

>>4898379
Why is Edea the hottest Final Fantasy lady? Something about that face is just so cute.

>> No.4899610

>>4899584
Those lips were made for dick suckin'.

>> No.4899762

>>4898427
I wholeheartedly agree; ff8 magic is the best in the series when you play with two casters and take advantage of Cerberus.

>> No.4899862

>>4898404
thanks, I'll give it a shot. I only avoided playing it when it was released because the load times were really long

>> No.4900127

>>4899365
If you're caught with weed in Japan your career can be ruined. They're pretty strict.

>> No.4900221

>>4898379
Imagine all the good games you could have experienced in all those wasted hours playing ...not even a good FF game.

>> No.4900230

>>4900221
I've played tons of gr8 gaems tho

>> No.4900263

>>4898389
The only things that are really good about FF8 are graphics, music, and its setting. Characters are kind of bland, story is silly, gameplay is debatable.

>> No.4900270

>>4900263
>story is silly
Story is best in the series though.

>> No.4900272

hiro may as well rename this place to /ff/, you fuckers hardly ever want to talk about any other jrpg series

>> No.4900296

>>4900270
No way is it the best story in the series unless you liked watching Dawson's Creek. Ultimecia is a lame villain with a crappy plan (what the hell is time compression?) and no real motive and the game is full of bizarre left field plot twists like Balamb Garden being controlled by Jabba the Hutt who hides in the basement and "oh yeah, remember we were all kids at the orphanage."

>> No.4900315 [DELETED] 

>>4898379
Do you really need to make 10 different FF8 threads? Do you have autism? Is this some pathetic attempt at "epic trolling"?

>> No.4900323 [DELETED] 

>>4900272
We try to talk about DUAL ORB 2, but this FF8 shitter and Retardo are shitting up the board.

>> No.4900325

>>4900296
I guess that I should know better than to expect casual ff6 and ff7 meme kids to appreciate ff8.

>Ultimecia is a lame villain
By what criteria? The concept of a sorceress from the future who possesses present day sorceresses is awesome and far more interesting and original than any other final villain in the series

>what the hell is time compression
So you think the game is lame despite not understanding a crucial aspect of it lol...why am I not surprised? Ultimecia specializes in time magic and time compression is her casting a spell from her point in time and space and casting it outwards from that point to compress past, present and future into one so that she can magically rewrite the fabric of space as she sees fit. Basically rewriting reality to be whatever she wants it to be. She seeks Ellone's power so that she can travel further back in time to compress time even further in the past, increasing the radius of her spell.

>no real motive

I can't really tell if you're trolling or not now. No real motive? What does that even mean? She is an intrinsically evil sorceress from the future with selfish desires, what more do you need?

>bizarre left field plot twists

Such as? The example you provided of Norg was a bit of a surprise, but it is completely justified in the end. Norg is smart and has money and funded Balamb Garden like an investor. I agree that it kind of came out of no where but what else do you want? It's no worse than any other plot points like Cloud experiencing Zach's reality of whatever it was from ff7.

>"oh yeah, remember we were all kids at the orphanage."

Explained in the story and eluded to as early as disc 1 when Irvine joins the party and says "Hmm..perhaps it's fate?" upon seeing Quistis, Zell, Selphie and Squall all together aboard the train to Deling City. It's not like it came out of no where if you read the text and pay attention to things.

What else do you have? Let's go.

>> No.4900328 [DELETED] 
File: 1.76 MB, 1240x1540, Quistis.Trepe.full.2174223.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4900315
I am only responsible for three ff8 threads that are currently up, and yes, I do have le epix autism xD

>> No.4900380

>>4900325

Frankly, any villain that doesn't really appear until the very end of the game just plain sucks. Ultimecia is a step above Necron and Zemus though.

>time compression is her casting a spell from her point in time and space and casting it outwards from that point to compress past, present and future into one so that she can magically rewrite the fabric of space as she sees fit. Basically rewriting reality to be whatever she wants it to be. She seeks Ellone's power so that she can travel further back in time to compress time even further in the past, increasing the radius of her spell.

What does any of this mean? Why would "compressing time" allow her to "rewrite the fabric of space"? It's just a bunch of bullshit they pulled out of their asses because I guess they were tired of just outright saying she wants to destroy the world.

>She is an intrinsically evil sorceress from the future with selfish desires, what more do you need?

So she does what she does because HURR I R EVUL BAD GUY. This is what I mean by no motive.

Why is Balamb Garden's smart investor a fat monster hiding in the basement that no one talks about? Why does he get himself killed if he's such a clever guy?

They obviously intended the orphanage thing to be a surprise to the player which is why they had to make the characters unrealistically never mention (except for that one time where Irvine said something vague about it I guess) having been kids together at the same orphanage.

Another dumb twist is the super advanced megalopolis that's invisible with Laguna being its president.

>It's no worse than any other plot points like Cloud experiencing Zach's reality of whatever it was from ff7.

This is actually an example of a good plot twist because it does so much to develop Cloud's character from being the aloof badass cliche to realizing he has a massive identity crisis.

>> No.4900423

>>4900380
>Frankly, any villain that doesn't really appear until the very end of the game just plain sucks. Ultimecia is a step above Necron and Zemus though
She was first mentioned at the start of disc 3

>What does any of this mean? Why would "compressing time" allow her to "rewrite the fabric of space"? It's just a bunch of bullshit they pulled out of their asses because I guess they were tired of just outright saying she wants to destroy the world.
I mean, she doesn't want to "destroy the world" in the HURRR DURRR I AM LE EPIC EVIL kind of way. She wants to rewrite reality as she sees fit. This is an interesting change from a series that is composed of edgy villains that essentially just "want to "see the world burn"

>So she does what she does because HURR I R EVUL BAD GUY. This is what I mean by no motive.

I don't know if this is necessarily a bad thing. What do you want? It's fiction lol. Would you feel better about it if the writers put some emotional cause for her evil in the story? Like "when Ultimecia was a little gril she watched her family be killed in front of her by evil gubment soldiers and from there on out she wanted to rewrite reality to change that". Adding some arbitrary reason doesn't change much

>Why is Balamb Garden's smart investor a fat monster hiding in the basement that no one talks about? Why does he get himself killed if he's such a clever guy?

Aside from other board members, do the low level employees of any given company know the names of all the investors/people on the board of directors? it's basically the same thing. Unless you're higher up Garden staff, you wouldn't know who Norg is. Shumi village is located underground so it's not surprising that Norg chose the basement as his base of operations within the Garden. As for getting himself killed...he was arrogant and overconfident and he got rekt by the heroes of the story who are naturally strong and gifted because they are the heroes.

>> No.4900431 [DELETED] 

>>4900328

I need more well-drawn Quistis fanart

>> No.4900437 [DELETED] 

>>4900323
I wish the Dual Orb 2 shitposting would get banned. That said, the only non-Square JRPG series that gets talked about here at a decent pace is Mother, and even those threads aren't as numerous.

>> No.4900439

>>4900380
>Another dumb twist is the super advanced megalopolis that's invisible with Laguna being its president.
How is this any different from anything else in the series? We've got an advanced nation that is xenophobic and hides its existence (to an extent) from the outside world because they know how fucked everyone else. Frankly I wish that Canada did this.

As for Laguna becoming the President I don't think that it is that far-fetched given his charisma. The entire game up to that point is us learning how compassionate and charismatic he is. Sorceress Adel kidnapped Ellone along with hundreds of other girls in her quest to find a worthy successor to her powers and Laguna left Raine (and baby Squall) to find her. He was captured and put to work. There was a resistance faction brewing and Laguna set himself apart from other candidates (though we learn nothing about these people) and had the charisma/leadership to unite a fragmented nation recovering from tyranny.

>This is actually an example of a good plot twist because it does so much to develop Cloud's character from being the aloof badass cliche to realizing he has a massive identity crisis.

I guess, but I don't think it has any more merit than the heroes from ff8 learning that they were all together at the orphanage lol

>> No.4900440 [DELETED] 

>>4900328
>I do have le epix autism xD
It's hilarious how you pretend that condition is not making you worse in the slight despite the proof being in plain sight.
You actual, literal retard.

>> No.4900442 [DELETED] 
File: 65 KB, 500x332, 1531282187748.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4900437
Excuse me?

>> No.4900457 [DELETED] 

>>4900440
Who triggered you little boi?

>> No.4900460 [DELETED] 
File: 664 KB, 450x253, giphy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4900440
:D

>> No.4900478

>>4900423
>She wants to rewrite reality as she sees fit. This is an interesting change from a series that is composed of edgy villains that essentially just "want to "see the world burn"

Okay, so it is just a substitute for destroying the world. So why does she want to rewrite reality? What about reality is she going to rewrite? Does she even know herself?

>What do you want? It's fiction lol.

Well, we're talking about whether or not FF8 has the best story in the series, right? A game with a villain whose only motivation for doing something is because she's evil does a lot to undermine FF8's story being the best FF story. Kefka being a psychopathic nut who had his brain fried in Magitek experiments and therefore likes sowing chaos and destruction just to amuse himself, as cartoonish as all of that is, is still a better motive for doing shit than just because he's the villain and therefore has to do villainous things. It gave Kefka and palpable personality and gave context to the shit he did, which makes him a far more compelling villain than Ultimecia. At best, Ultimecia is just plain boring.

So what consequence did Norg have to the plot of FF8 besides being a weird interlude?

>> No.4900481 [DELETED] 

>>4900442
Please stop, it's not fucking funny, no matter how much you try to force it.

>> No.4900493 [DELETED] 

>>4900481
Whats even less funny is all these FF8 threads.

>> No.4900515

>>4900478
>Okay, so it is just a substitute for destroying the world. So why does she want to rewrite reality? What about reality is she going to rewrite? Does she even know herself?

At this point I am speculating, but I think that she wants to rewrite reality to make herself a "god" and have anyone left alive from the past/present/future, worship her (ego). I have no idea what she is physically capable of doing in a universe with magic though. From all I've read she seems to want to make herself the god of the universe, even if it is an "illusion" in the sense that she is controlling time and reality but not actually changing physical constants and shit like that because she's not actually omnipotent. I don't know the extent of it though.

>At best, Ultimecia is just plain boring

I can't make a valid argument against the lack of apparent motivation for her actions written into the story. Perhaps I've forgotten, I don't know. Once I finish the game again I will report back. But yes, she is from the future and for some reason wants to rewrite reality with her time compression spell. I like this idea, but I don't recall any blatant motivation.

>At best, Ultimecia is just plain boring

Disagree 100%. Ultimecia is a breath of fresh air compared to all the edgy edgelord antagonists in the FF series. You can argue that she loses points for no apparent motivation, but the concept of a sorceress from the future who wants to rewrite reality is interesting as fuck and original. She is one of my favorite villains in fiction.

>> No.4900516

>>4900478
>So what consequence did Norg have to the plot of FF8 besides being a weird interlude

Norg explains to Squall and his pals that there are higher powers at work and that they were being used the entire time. He reveals a somewhat conniving side to the apparently benevolent headmaster Cid. Squall learns that he is just a pawn and doesn't want to be manipulated. Manipulation and being a pawn adds to Squalls sense of independence and desire to do everything on his own. The actual act of learning about Norg doesn't trigger any major plot points, it is more of an awakening for Squall that furthers his outlook on the world.

>> No.4900550

>>4899610
And that's just what they'll do
One of these days these lips
Are gonna suck all over you

>> No.4900742

>>4900325
I got home from tutoring math on 2 hours of sleep and was devouring pizza pops after having only eaten two apples today and spelled alluded wrong (and a lot of other things). I wish more people would challenge my ff8 views. Even if they're wrong I thought a lot about the story and learned even more about it because of the questions you asked. Cheers friend.

>> No.4900791

Why I never see any of the characters in FF8 go to the bathroom?
Where do they go to the bathroom when they're in the mountains or the ancient city for example?

>> No.4900809

>>4900791
Because you're gay

>> No.4901734

>>4898592
Ayyy

>> No.4903960

>>4898379
>no junctioning magic challenge run
You call that a challenge? I was a dumb kid and never junction anything until the third time I played the game.

>> No.4904230

>>4903960
Wow you really were a dumb kid.

>> No.4904413

>>4900380
>Frankly, any villain that doesn't really appear until the very end
Ultimecia is possessing Edea at the start of the game. Hell, she does stuff in the very opening movie. Her presence permeates the entire story. Just because she's not identified as such instantly doesn't take that away.

>> No.4904670

>>4903960
Tbh the no junctioning magic run isn't as hard as I thought it would be, in fact, I've only died once and it was to the tank thing at the end of the missile base (it was spamming a 1 shot on me when no one had more than 850 hp lol). I don't expect the game to get much harder than it currently is, but we'll see I suppose. I suspect that Tri Point in the basement of Ultimecia's Castle could be a bitch without being able to junction Thundaga to my magic defense. Really though, the fun of this kind of run seems to be that I'm not shit dumpstering everything in a few hits and how I'm forced to buff myself with Shell/Protect and actually think about the mechanics of the game rather than just nuking everyone since I know the game inside and out.

>> No.4904682

>>4904413
That fuzzy logic justifies literally all the last-minute boss reveals in the series. That shit doesn't fly with me, and I say this as someone whose favourite was IV.

>> No.4905069

>>4904682
Ultimecia isn't a last minute boss reveal though. She is officially revealed literally at the start of disc 3 and you learn that she has been controlling Edea since the start of the game.

>> No.4905084

>>4898404
>The opinion that 7 is better than 8 is honestly pretty reddit tier/casual normie gamer tier.

this is a reddit tier opinion

>> No.4905128

>>4898389
I've seen people describe it as dream-like, but a dream about mundane things. If you play it, go in expecting a plot that makes no sense and horrible characterization. Embrace it as part of the surreal experience.

>> No.4905138

>>4904682
It's not fuzzy logic. The entire first act of the game is about shooting down Edea. Edea IS Ultimecia until you literally see Ultimecia's likeness abandoning Edea's body. You find this out somewhat early on in the game, and every single utterance by Edea while she's evil only makes sense when you realize she's Ultimecia.

This isn't some "Necron was the darkness surrounding you all along" scenario, Ultimecia is present literally throughout the entire game, physically, just not in her own body. You have to be daft to compare her to Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus, etc.

>> No.4905162

>>4905084
Both are shit games.

>> No.4905172

>>4905162
t. ff5 autist

>> No.4905173

>>4905162
>"i'm so edgy and cool."

>> No.4905552
File: 149 KB, 683x1000, Zemus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4904682
>>4905138
>That fuzzy logic justifies literally all the last-minute boss reveals
>You have to be daft to compare her to Cloud of Darkness, Zeromus

This ancient "out of nowhere" boss dogma that's plagued the series for decades.
Is there any more boring and dismissive opinion about the overall story and narrative in FF games than calling the thematic punctuation of the game "just some silly shit"?

Zemus and Necrophobe are both perfectly justified by the narrative.

I won't defend Cloud of Darkness though, never did finish FF3

>> No.4905586

>>4904682
Ultimecia is hinted since the first disk when Edea's eyes turn yellow during these FMV

Then she literally leaves Edea's body after you defeat her in Galbadia garden

And right after that you get some explanation and know she's the last boss

>> No.4905596

>>4905586
I agree with your points, especially how after the fight at the end of disc 2 you LITERALLY see Ultimecia and then learn who it is at the orphanage lol. But what are you talking about with her eyes? Why does them turning yellow indicate possession by Ultimecia?

>> No.4905624

>>4899862
If you're still around, I come with a warning: Always use Draw on everything that seems like a boss or miniboss. There are a bunch of GF that are easy to miss if you don't think to use Draw during boss fights.

>> No.4905661

>>4905624
Yeah it's my thread lol I'm still reading it. What do you mean draw like that? I know what bosses to draw from are you saying there are GFs on other things now?

>> No.4905689

>HURRR FFVIII SUX IT'S JUST A BUNCH OF DRAWING MAGIC AND PLAYING CARD GAMES

...but have you considered the fact that I'm a turbo-autist and enjoy nothing more than fucking around in menus?

>> No.4905910

>>4905689
So ff7 is for normies and ff8 is for artists?

>> No.4905920

Is there a good Triple Triad Online game out there?

>> No.4905931

R=U?

>> No.4905935

>>4905931
I want to believe.

>> No.4905960

>>4905910
If I wasn't as autistic as I am, I would probably like FFVII better. But the reality of the situation is that I am who I am, so FFVIII is like a godsend to me. Deal w/it.

>> No.4905975

>>4905960
Bro I'm the ff8 god. I feel ya bro and understand.

>> No.4905998

>>4905910
>ff8 is for autists

FTFY

>> No.4906370

>>4899610
Rude

>> No.4906387

>>4905998
>I'm an autist
FTFTFYFY

>> No.4906396

>>4905661
If you have a guide telling you which, it's not a big deal. People often miss Carbunkle on their first playthrough because they don't realize the things you draw it from are supposed to be a boss.

>> No.4906416

How does one play this?

The only people I see defend this fucking game are people who play the game almost in a way that is either not intended or not taught properly to the player. You play it the way you did with previous titles and you're not going to have fun at all, apparently.

>> No.4906435

>>4906416
You unironically need a very high IQ to fully comprehend ff8

>> No.4906530

>>4898379
>ff8
>your favorite game ever

kys yourself

>> No.4906537

>>4906530
How does it feel to have awful taste little boi?

>> No.4906913
File: 2.69 MB, 672x504, 1503750186758.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really like Renzokuken

>> No.4906952

>>4898379
Wait a second... a thread for people that like FFVIII? That's new

>> No.4906959

>>4906952
You missed quite a few threads in the past week. At one point there were at least 6 up lol.

>>4906913
Yes indeed, it is a lot of fun.

>> No.4906981

I like Final Fantasy, but why hasn't this spamming FF8 nigger been permabanned yet?

>> No.4906991

>>4906959
>>4906981
I would prefer if the hotpockets would keep these threads to a minimum, I don't have a problem at all with discussion about FF or Square in general but this board shouldn't have 4-5 threads at a time

>> No.4907032

>>4906981
REPORTED FOR RACISM!!!!!!!!!!!

>> No.4907198

>>4898389
Rinoa is best girl

>> No.4907676

>>4898404
>don't understand the junction system
I don't understand the junction system. Quick rundown? I never finished this game but enjoyed getting to the last stage.

>> No.4907685

>>4907676
You equip magic instead of pieces of armor etc, each magic type raises a different statistic. Likewise, you equip a summon creature into your… brain. Each of these lets you use different abilities, from mundane shit like better magic to balls to the wall stuff like turning cards into items or stopping random encounters.

Just imagine that every "magic" (well, in the story, "paramagic") thing you run into can be equipped into a character's brain and vastly alter his capabilities. That's the junction system in a nutshell.

>> No.4907690

>>4898404
>good monster design
Geezard wants a word with you.

>> No.4907694

>>4906435
>Yes I have a Squall tattoo. No you can't see it

>> No.4907701

>>4907685
Ah okay, so I did have it correct and just didn't know it. Thought I may have missed something. I remember my last time playing I had level 5 tops for my characters but the highest level magic equipped (that was the very definition of grind) and I ripped through everything. Everything! The grind killed my enjoyment of the game though and as I said, I never finished it. Thank god for Youtube.

>> No.4907705

>>4907676
You alter stats by equiping magic to said stats. You can also give characters elemental and status attack and defense abilities.

Start by equiping a GF, which are summon monsters you learn things from. Learn skills by pocking them from a list, but also learn junction abilities.

So let's say you learn str junction. Now you can junction magic to your str to raise it. Different magics raise stats different amounts.

Now let's say you learn status atk junction. Well now you can junction drain to that and be healed every time you attack an enemy.

These are just a few examples. There's lots of things you can do.

>> No.4907823

>>4907694
I want a Griever tattoo desu on account of ff8 being my favorite game ever lol

>> No.4908215

>>4898506
Link?

>> No.4908273

>>4898404
People don't seen to understand that GFs are the game's weapons and armor. They're not just summons at all. Summoning is just an added bonus.

>> No.4908437

>>4898379
>finished ff8
>approximately 30

holy shit dude just fucking off yourself

>> No.4908446

>>4908437
Why?

>> No.4910127

>>4904682
How do I just know you're black?

>> No.4910128

>>4906416
You can play it in many different ways. This is why it's awesome. You can GF your way through the entire game if that's what you want.

>> No.4910641

>>4910127
jej

>> No.4912040

>>4906370
Reno

>> No.4914142

>>4898379
That is a lot of ff8 runs... surely you're autistic?

>> No.4916197

>>4898379
I thought it was just 'tap X' to win. I *did* beat FF7 and FF8 on PS1, and have not had the slightest desire to replay either of them. But good that you have found your calling in life anon.

>> No.4916568

>>4916197
Yes it is my true calling. I finished the game without junctioning magic and I may never play it normally again.

>> No.4916932

How to play:

>teach Quezacotl Card-ability to turn enemies to cards
>Carding enemy doesn't get you EXP but you get AP
>keep your lvl low to prevent monsters lvl getting high. High lvl enemies have bigger stats and access to more powerful skills
>refine cards to items and items to magic
>item refining nets you weapon upgrades easily. You can upgrade weapons to models you haven't learnt through magazines if you have the required items
>keep max HP up and current HP 1/4 from the max to activate Limit Breaks (just spam cancel on character's turn until you get limit break)
>teach Diablos Enc-None to prevent random encounters
>play the card game to get cards which to refine to more items and spells
>Zell has unlimited loop on his Limit Break, learn it
>first teach GFs the refinery skills, then junctions and command abilities
>as soon as you get Garden as your means of travel, go to get Tonberry GF and use his LVL up skill to raise enemies lvl so you can steal rare items from them to get the ultimate weapons
>you can finish the game and optional bosses in lvl 20's

>> No.4917212

>>4916932
Everyone knows this dude, but not everyone wants to cheese it. The game is easy enough at level 100 with broken magic junctioned to stats. Doing the same at low level breaks it even more lol.

>> No.4917230

>>4917212
>everyone knows
Judging by how shitters complain about the game, like how they are FORCED to draw etc., no, they don't know. I can imagine that smart players do know about it but your average 4channer is not very smart. In the early years of 4chan people avoided showing their stupidity but now it's more of a norm.

>> No.4917240

>>4916932
How to not have a second of fun in the game.

>> No.4917637

>>4916932
Honestly though fighting level 100 enemies is like half the fun in FFVIII
That descent into the Deep Sea Research Center is pretty crazy, not to mention level 100 Ruby Dragons

>> No.4917726

>>4906913
I'd hope so because you're playing "spam renzokuken: the game". fucking shallow gameplay this one. the only reason people suck ff8 dick is because it's the blacksheep and it's cool to be contrarian. anyone who *loves* this game but doesn't see the glaring flaws is certifiably autistic.

>> No.4917735

>>4904230
It was my first (J)RPG.

>> No.4917795

>>4917726
It is easily abusable to cheese things, but casting Cerberus and weaving double and triple spells on your party and the enemy is amazing. Makes for the most fun magic casting in jrpgs.

>> No.4918243 [DELETED] 

>>4908437
It's a low number actually, check FFVIII speedrunners

>> No.4920729 [DELETED] 

>>4917240
Indeed!

>> No.4920740

Replying to this thread late enough where everyone already has their set conversations but fuck it.

Back when it was new, I loved both Junction and Triad (ie I was the rare person that understood how it worked) systems and found it a breath of fresh air. When I replayed it in the mid-00s, I found the story stupider than I recall it being before and Triad wasn't as engaging as before but that draw system was as fun as ever. Now jump forward towards today and I still find the main game pretty fun though I can't bring myself to complete it. The game is a breeze for one disc until sudden bad pacing in disc 2. Maybe I'm "too old" for this now but FFing the text just goes on and on and I'm bored of it. Would play an cutscene-less edit. As it stands, my current run feels like I'm playing a hidden game inside of a romance tale I don't care for anymore.

>> No.4920842

>>4898379
>>4898404
>>4898427
>>4898432
I'm pretty sure you're trying to larp as that autistic ff8 kid now.

>> No.4920886

>>4920842
Nope, I am 100% that autistic ff8 kid

>> No.4920918
File: 841 KB, 1498x863, FFVIII_Squall_Ending.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920886

>> No.4920947
File: 28 KB, 488x463, 1517002010114.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920918
Whose that dreamy guy?

>> No.4920949
File: 331 KB, 640x447, ViktorSagat-Squall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920947
Nicholas Cage.

>> No.4920969

>>4920949
thought that it was that gackt faggot

>> No.4920973

>>4920969
No, that's Genesis.

>> No.4920974
File: 3.74 MB, 390x299, 1532221923251.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4920976
File: 496 KB, 640x3075, 1532221027095.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4920979
File: 216 KB, 800x600, 1532221238857.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4920982
File: 212 KB, 883x800, 1532220724407.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4920984
File: 299 KB, 1095x903, 1532221025618.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is the FF8 thread on /v/ also yours?

>> No.4920985

>>4920982
Now this is autistic. Picking the deliberate lowest lows and highest highs never convinces anyone shit. And don't even try, I'm a FF3fag so no chocobo in this race.

>> No.4920991
File: 55 KB, 434x327, Zoomer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920985
>Zoomer can't take criticism

>> No.4920997

>>4920991
Epic wojack meme, bro. That's 2/2. Is Pepe next? I also see you're too stupid to see I'm attacking the method of autismwhile not giving a fuck about the games involved.

>> No.4921000

>>4920997
>I also see you're too stupid to see I'm attacking the method of autism while not giving a fuck about the games involved.

>> No.4921003
File: 7 KB, 199x253, Brainlet Pepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920997
>>4921000
>Is Pepe next?

>> No.4921051

>>4920984
No lol

>> No.4922421
File: 213 KB, 1280x720, Sea-baus-07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Where can I find Dr. Odine after the Lunatic Pandora briefing? He's not in the Presidential area, or in his lab. I need to get Ward's card.

>> No.4922431
File: 24 KB, 474x319, ken.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4920982

>> No.4922478 [DELETED] 

>>4922421
Lost Odyssey is better than any FF game that came out since FF8.

>> No.4922534

So FF8 guy, what is your take on the the theory that squall dies after getting iced and its all a dream thereafter?

>> No.4922589

>>4922534
that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. right on par with the fan fictions of squall and seifer having butt sex after their gunblades jam before a killing blow is landed.

>> No.4922610

>>4922589
Kitase said that he likes the possibility and would consider it for a remake if he ever was going to do one.

>> No.4922634

>>4922610
One time I said I liked Naruto.

>> No.4924463
File: 156 KB, 800x745, Kenshirooooo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4922431

>> No.4924506

>>4922534
>>4922589
>>4922610
A better thing to do is Rinoa=Ultimecia. I laughed at the notion at first, but the more i thought of it the more it made sense. Every attempt to discredit it short of "DEVS SAID NO" has actually just made it more plausible.

>> No.4925357
File: 85 KB, 500x498, 1531052811827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4917726
FF7 has more flaws than 8. Starting with the laughable graphics and the cinematics used entirely as silly marketing for a turd. 8 is a much more flawless game. You can screech "shallow" as much as you want, but the truth is FF8 is the deepest game in the series through customization and sheer number of mechanics. You can literally skip 90% of the game's random encounters and legitimately finish the game, making it essentially a hard mode for yourself. It's mindblowing compared to the usual repetitive jRPG grind. You can choose to ONLY play cards and still finish the game. You can choose to ONLY spawm GFs and still do it. You're the edgy retard for loving to follow the crowd in bashing this game without an ounce of critical thinking.

>> No.4925872

>>4925357
based

>> No.4925884

>>4925357
Fuck yes

>> No.4926249

>>4924506
If squall did die then does that mean rinoa actually got the party out of the mission and they lived?

>> No.4926323

>>4917726
I love it mostly out of nostalgia and I'm not ashamed to admit that

>> No.4927510

>>4898409
this man knows the truth

>> No.4927609

>>4925357
Okay, this is epic

>> No.4927612

>>4920982
Did Quentin make this? Not surprised FF8 is his favorite.

>> No.4927682

>>4925357
Yes, this is why FF8 is GOAT.

>> No.4927723

My official FF Ranking(only played through I-X-2
FFVI
FFVIII
FFIV
FFX
FFIX
FFII
FFVII
FFI
FFV
FFIII
FFX-2

>> No.4927739

>>4927723
Good ranking senpai

>> No.4927761

>>4898379
I feel very sad for you if that's true.
I've always find the final fantasy games a fucking chore tedious cutscene drama. All that pointless grinding and menu shit. It feels like working on a cubicle more than a game.

I'd rather watch a movie or an anime if wanted to experience those cinematic clichés.

>> No.4927919
File: 10 KB, 200x156, 5EC011E2-BFED-44CD-9123-B728642D2EF4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4927723
>2 above anything
Da fuq? Have you played it again recently? 2 is the worst.

>> No.4927995

>>4925357
word of God

>> No.4928005

>>4927919
not him but ii is great get taste

>> No.4928430

To this day I'm still not sure whether calling the evil witches in this game sorceresses was because the localization team didn't care about the game's central motif and just through sorceress sounded cooler, or if they were just stupid.

>> No.4928864
File: 88 KB, 1920x1228, 1532402711720.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4927723

>> No.4930052

>>4927919
yeah, it's a bit annoying that you have to cast spells 100 times to level them up but honestly i enjoyed it more than the overhyped shit that was ffvii, ffi is good but obviously too generic, ffv was meh, ffiii was boring except in certain areas and ffx-2 is just plain shit.

>> No.4930058

>>4925357
FF7 has better graphics than FF8, with the sole exception of the field characters. The environments are more colorful and more iconic. The 3d models in combat are more distinctive, and don't use warping, pixelated textures.

I don't think FF8 is all that bad. But once was enough. The story is weird, but that doesn't make it good. The combat system is interesting, but not amazing. There's a lot of hidden content, but its not all that interesting to find. Decent game from a company that usually made great ones.

>> No.4930208
File: 107 KB, 287x442, 1531508408973.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4927761
Thanks but I don't care desu. If I have X amount of time per year to allocate to video games, I can spend a little bit of that time on my favorite game. My no magic junction run took my 27 hours to finish...that's nothing compared to the amount of time that we both spend play other games.

>> No.4930706
File: 36 KB, 419x419, 1506471559651.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4927682

>> No.4931250

>>4930208
Are you trolling?

>> No.4932006

>>4927761
This.

The worst thing is that these faggots will actually DEFEND random encounters.

>> No.4932360

>>4932006
This is a jrpg board bro, if you can't handle random encounters then you need to go to /v/ like the rest of the ADHD kids.

>> No.4932517

>>4925357
Holy shit you are retarded. Of course a game that came out later will have better graphics, so that point is usless. As for customization both games allow for heavy customization through materia or the junction system. I don’t get what your point is here. You can customize to greater extent in 7 through materia combinations than you can with spell junctions. Also 8 levels with you making a low level run less difficult. Lastly you can do whatever you want for a challenge run you act as if the game recognizes it or even mentions doing it like it’s a added feature.

>> No.4932886

>>4932517
>8 levels with you making a low level run less difficult
A low level run in 7 is about as hard as low level/no junction run in 8. I've done quite a few low level runs in 7 and you always get to Sephiroth around 40 and it's not difficult. In 8 a low level/no junction run you get to Ultimecia around 30 and it's about the same in terms of difficulty desu.

>> No.4932928

>>4932886
That’s not the same. No junctions makes the game a lot harder. I was simply talking about level only, as in you can still draw or use draw points. A better comparison would be a no materia low level run and I bet that would be harder.

>> No.4932990

>>4925357
Your only FF7 argument was about graphics. And frankly, everyone needs to stop acting like they were badly modeled. It's one thing to dislike the style but they aren't incompetently made. This can extend to other mid-late 3D games, too. They're finely structured and readable, which is what you want. Only the early attempts were clipping blob messes.

>> No.4933197

>>4932928
>A better comparison would be a no materia low level run
I don't think that this is possible. Low level runs in 7 only work if you put your entire party in the back line (1/2 damage reduction) followed by the Big Guard enemy skill which reduces damage by 1/2 again, and topping it off by giving your party the Sadness debuff via Tranquilizers for another 30% reduction. You could MAYBE do it without Big Guard, but Big Guard plays a BIG role and idk if it is doable without it.

Gimping yourself in 7 by running from all random encounters isn't the same as running from all random 8 because of how leveling works in 8 and I thought that a more realistic comparison between the two would be a low level run in 7 vs a low level/no junction run in 8. No materia is an entirely different beast all together.

>> No.4933209

>>4933197
Lol I made this post and then out of curiosity googled it and found a gamefaqs guide that apparently says it is possible to do a no materia ff7 run. TIL.

>> No.4933220

>>4933197
I mean I guess you can do it, but no Big Guard means you're taking more damage. In my low level runs I always get Yuffie and her final weapon anyway and she hits for 10k every time against Sephiroth. Tifa Powersoul mechanics for 4/8/16 damage revolve around Death Sentence, Deathblow and her being in critical HP. Her being in critical will give you 4x by default without any materia and you could put her in the front row to put her up to 8x. You might even want to do that so that she dies, res her and she is in critical in the front row doing 8x damage (4/8/16 in low level runs in the back row).

>> No.4933291

I take it all back. If you level up a bit and still do back row + tranquilizers you can easily beat ff7 with no materia despite no Big Guard.

>> No.4933453

>>4922421
He is in FH

>> No.4933852

>>4933220
Yuffie in low level runs really?

>> No.4934179

>>4898541
8 was technically my first one. I played it on my uncle's PC a little bit. I always have a soft spot for it.

>> No.4934290

I had more fun playing the ff8 pc demo than playing the game
why is that?

>> No.4934318
File: 154 KB, 1366x768, 20180722010421_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just started playing this, around 6 hours in and heading off the the second garden, I'd look this stuff up but don't really want spoilers so I'll ask here to make it a bit easier.

I understand Triple Triad, but what does it unlock for me? Is it just a side game, or can I obtain GF's/items/money from playing it?
Does fighting enemies do anything useful? I noticed that I don't get XP from bosses, and a friend told me you could potentially beat the game at level 1 if you junction correctly, so should I run from a majority of them?
Is there anyway of obtaining money outside of my SeeD salary?
Any tips of Junctioning? I think I understand it, (GF's basically give you the ability to upgrade a trait like Strength, and you use a card to increase it, more GF's = more traits to increase) but any advice would do.

>> No.4934909

>>4934318
>I understand Triple Triad, but what does it unlock for me? Is it just a side game, or can I obtain GF's/items/money from playing it?

You can't obtain GFs or money from playing it, but you can get items, and if you acquire the right cards you can get extremely rare items, like, or useful items in large quantities. For example, soon you will have to go to the Tomb of the Unknown King to get a 3 digit code. If you explore further you can fight The Brothers and if you win, you get them as a summon. One of their cards refine into 10 Adamantines and the other refines into 100 Dino Bones which you can refine into 100 Quake spells using Time/Space magic refine. Quake junctions EXTREMELY well to strength and magic. One of the guys in the Forest Owls base has Angelo's card (Rinoa' Dog) and that refines into 100 elixirs. Later in the game you can get the Gilgamesh card to refine into 10 Holy Wars (item that makes the entire party invincible for a time), the Bahamut card refines into 100 Megalixirs, Shiva refines into 100 Arctic Wind which you can use to give everyone 100 Blizzaga, etc. Cards are fun and make you OP if you know who to play against.

>Does fighting enemies do anything useful? I noticed that I don't get XP from bosses

Yes, there are items that you can't get from cards, and certain enemies that you may want to mug or just kill and receive default items from them. Elnoyle in Esthar is an important one that comes to mind. If you Mug him he gives you Moon Stones, which refine into Holy spells. If you fight him normally and don't Mug him, he gives you Energy Crystals which refine into Ultima and are needed for a few ultimate weapons.

>Is there anyway of obtaining money outside of my SeeD salary?

No. I mean, you could sell items, but that is redundant and I've never done it. Go to the tutorial and take the tests to increase your rank and receive more gil each time it pops up.

>Any tips of Junctioning?

What do you want to do with your endgame party?

>> No.4934928

By what do you want to do with your party I mean, Squall + two casters like a true god, or Squall + 1 caster + 1 physical damage or Squall + 2 phyisical damage?

As I said, you refine most of your magic (well over 90%) but there are a few places that you draw from. At the start of the game you draw a base stock of magic for Selphie to use and there are some bosses with some useful spells that you might want to get a bit of before moving on, such as stocking up on a few protects from the boss at the end of the training center event with Quistis (though you are passed that now) because they are useful against Diablos and The Brothers.

>> No.4935751

>>4934290
The pc demo was magical. Leviathan in the training center mmhmmmmmmmmmmm.

>> No.4936715

>>4935751
Yeah it should have been the SeeD exam though

>> No.4937612

>>4898379
FF8 could have been a masterpiece if every mission is a unique SEED Rank mission. Disc 1 is not random encounters heavy and puts you into different gameplay types. The train, the SEED test, the Saving Balamb arc, Battle of the Gardens are unique not grind heavy mechanics for an FF game.

>> No.4938245

>>4937612
This guy gets it

>> No.4939125

>>4920984
Lol

>> No.4939172

Ultimecia is the far better waifu

>> No.4939426

>>4900380
Ultimecia is the god Hyne trying to reclaim the separate essences of itself that it gave to the sorceresses because somehow people forced it to when they waged a war against Hyne. This is where the sorceresses get their power from, a literal piece of the divine was given to them and time compression was the only way that Hyne could reclaim all of those lost divine sparks.

I'm not defending it but I am correcting the misconception that it's for some other reason or no real reason. How people could force a fully-omnipotent god to do anything in the first place is where this plot falls apart.