[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 547 KB, 1121x800, DKC3_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4878502 No.4878502 [Reply] [Original]

Is this the worst sequel to a series ever?

>> No.4878505

it wasn’t bad, but it was the weakest of the series

>> No.4878514 [DELETED] 

Is this the most stale /vr/ thread?

>> No.4878519

For fucks sake anon we had this literal same thread last week, how come /vr/ only knows how to talk about the same games only?

>> No.4878531

>>4878519
BECAUSE IT'S COMFY NOW FUCK OFF AND DIE

>> No.4878547

>>4878502
No, War Wind 2 is.

>> No.4878551

>>4878502
Idk m8, I legit liked this game as a kid, the worst sequel forevermore is that absolute abomination that was doom 3.

>> No.4878553

not at all, the worst sequel to a great game (retro) is probably one of the crash games when they went off the rails, or maybe crash bash

>> No.4878558

>>4878502

this is a fantastic game

>> No.4878604

>>4878519
Must have missed it, sorry

>> No.4878610

>>4878604
really it was 3 weeks ago

>> No.4878656

>>4878519
>how come /vr/ only knows how to talk about the same games only?
By the very definition of this board's rules and its autistic denizens, barring the rare new game that comes out on a retro console, we're only ever allowed to talk about the exact same games, forever.

>> No.4878664
File: 36 KB, 320x222, Yoshi's_Story.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The worst retro sequel has to be Yoshi's Story. They took everything that was great about Yoshi's Island and dumbed it down for babbys.

>> No.4878667 [DELETED] 

>>4878656
Not me but no, simply no. People here are just obsessed with the same shit over and over >>/vr/thread/4854846

>> No.4878714

>>4878505
This.
The worst single sequel I can think of is Dawn of Mana.

>> No.4878717

>>4878502
>Not liking dkc3
>>4878664
>Not liking Ys
The absolute state of vr>>4878667
>>4878667

>> No.4878749

>>4878502
no, it's great. only tryhards that were born in 2003 dislike it.
I praise rare so hard for not making donkey kong country 2: 2: even more dark and spooky.

>> No.4879053

Born long before that, 1 and 2 were great, but 3 is everything wrong with a sequel
>shitty replacement character
>worst music of series, almost comically bad
>weak level design

>> No.4879101

>>4878749
DKC2 was more cartoony than the first one if anything.

>> No.4879130

>>4879101
It was a lot more darker that's for sure, even treading into Wario Land levels of demented shit

>> No.4879298
File: 52 KB, 575x375, cover_medium.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hold my beer

>> No.4879446
File: 27 KB, 480x360, dk3trees.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4878502
If you like donkey kong country games, you like this game. DK3 is by far the most experimental with what you could call its 'gimmick' levels.

People don't like it because the color palette isn't as visually appealing and kiddy is heavy. But like, how cool was the pic related level and the overworld?

>> No.4879454

>trash talking dkc3
>"hur" bad sequel

literally why, none of the dkc games are far from the other with only minor aesthetics and gimmicks setting them apart
if anything, dkc should just be classified as the chills dkc; not bad nor better, just smoother

>> No.4879468

>>4879298
Fucking THIIIIIIIIIS!
I can't imagine a more boring follow up to one of the greatest co-op games of the 16-bit era.

>> No.4879493

>>4879298
I tried so many times to like this game.

>> No.4879675

>>4879053
I couldn't get past the music, jesus fuck. nothing could make up for that.

>> No.4879706

I think it's better then the first game, and at least the bosses are more unique then just fighting necky twice and gnawty twice.

>> No.4879727

I know this is kind of a dipshit statement to make, but I feel like the “3 > 1” camp just entirely missed the boat on why DKC was great.

Sure, in one way the gameplay is more varied and lively. One thing I’ve heard people say is that the bonus rooms in 1 are boring. But 1’s bonus rooms are symptomatic of its greatest strength, which is mystique. Finding secrets is its own reward, whereas in 3 (and admittedly even 2) they are more of a sideshow. You might see a bonus barrel in plain sight, or a Koin guy just kind of sitting right in your tracks.

The moody music and dark art amplified this. 3 attempted this more than 2, but 2 had emotion. 3 just kind of sat in the middle.

>> No.4879735

>>4878502
No way is it the worst.
It's the weakest in the trilogy but it's still pretty enjoyable.

>> No.4879752

>>4879727
>mystique
Look, the point is that even though you find it subjectively better to have your only reward be an exclamation mark on the level's name, the later games do have actual rewards for everything and that's, well, more rewarding in and of itself. Also all games have secrets that are extremely well hidden, not just the first one, so this "mystique" argument, besides being extremely subjective and nostalgia-prone, is moot.

>> No.4879852

>>4878505
Man I dunno, it's pretty bad. Lots of slow, gimmicky stages with stupid looking characters and animations, Kiddie Kong and the elephant.

I really want to like it, but aside from the one time I actually played it all the way through and beat it, I've never gotten passed that shitty second level without getting bored and quitting

>> No.4879856 [DELETED] 

This thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUi1PdYn5nk

>> No.4879869
File: 74 KB, 456x640, IMG_4627.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4878502
So bad that Capcom literally ignored it and made their own Strider 2.

>> No.4879945

>>4879852
2 is full of gimmicky stages, but I think gimmicks aren't bad per se (1 is totally bland without them). 2 is better because most gimmicks are fast (barring the hot balloon/wind stages and some of the bramble levels), whereas most of 3's gimmicks are slow to the point of tedium (like the underwater maze level with inverted controls, what a shitshow). I still like 3 a lot though.

>> No.4879997

>>4878656
Which is fine for me because I love all the games y'all talk about, and can't be fucked to play any new ones.

>> No.4880007
File: 85 KB, 450x760, early-signs-of-autism.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4879997

>> No.4880037
File: 92 KB, 450x760, 15306954106312.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4880007
Diagnosed when I was five.

>> No.4880148

>>4879446
>isn't as visually appealing
>not liking donkey kong: canada

>> No.4880158

>>4878502
>DONKEY KONG country
>ONE (1) game out of three where Donkey Kong is actually playable
what did they mean by this

>>4878664
Yoshi's Story isn't obliquely for babbys. Sure it's piss easy to just play through once, yeah, but it's also supposed to be a score attack / arcade type game that's short enough to play through in one sitting to try and beat your score/time. Go do an all-melons run and let us know when you're back

>> No.4880230

>>4880158
>Legend of ZELDA
>Is she playable in any?
Same thing they meant by that.

>> No.4880612

>>4880230
I g u e s s so. They didn't let you play as Zelda in the first game only to saddle you with her shitty sidekicks in the sequels though.

>> No.4880671

>>4880158
That the games take place in countries where Donkey Kong likes to hang out.

>> No.4880691

>>4878502
YES!
>>4878514
Only because of the constant contrarian shitlickers making "DKC3 DID NOTHING WRONG" threads.

>> No.4880743

>>4879446
>But like, how cool was the pic related level
Pic related level is a prime example of how fucking shit the game is because it fucking limits you so severely. The very game desighn prevents you from going FAST because it is SHIT game design. You are not allowed to climb the tree as fast as you possibly could because the camera is fixed on the saw and doesn't follow your actual character. COMPARE that to the DKC2 level with the green acid rising in the tower, there you can go as fast as you want if you have the skill you can completely outrun the acid.

YOU CAN'T DO THAT IN THE SAW LEVEL OF DKC3 BECAUSE IT IS A NERFED, INFERIOR PIECE OF SHIT.

Thank you for fucking displaying your limitless IGNORANCE to everybody on the board. Too bad you are probably too stupid to even feel shame about your utter idiocy.

>and the overworld?
>MUH OVERWORLD
>MUH OVERWORLD
>MUH OVERWORLD

NIGGA, FUCK YOU. You don't play the game on the overworld, it's just the fucking map on which you walk from one actual level to the next, just because it was gimmicky and had nice water doesn't mean the actual game is good. If you have to reach that far down the list of what is important about a game, in which overworld might rank just about dead even with the aftergame credits, you just proved yourself how shitty of a game it is.

>> No.4880775

>>4880691
DKC3 did nothing wrong tho. Best in the series. Fucking fite me.

>> No.4880803

>>4880743
Nobody cares about your autistic speedrun shit. If your measure of a game is how quickly you can beat it, I'd hate to see what you think of books and films. Are pamphlets better than novels because all those shitty words get in the way? Get fucked.

>> No.4880867

>>4880743
Overworld exploration lets you search for secret minigame stages (the banana bird crystal things) and, more importantly, allows for a degree of sequence breaking and non-linearity, since when you upgrade your boat you progressively unlock sets of worlds and can choose the order in which you beat them.

DKC2 dooesn't really allow any of that. So it is a plus unless you're hardcore into linearity. From your speedrunning spergout above I can asume that you are, though. Good luck at the dilation station.

>> No.4880881

>>4880803
>Nobody cares about your autistic speedrun shit.
I don't speedrun trying to break some autist's irrelevant record. I just like to have fun while playing games and fun for me is trying get good and then get even better and also faster. I like to go fast but I go for style too, even if it impedes top speed. Why? Because it's fun.

>If your measure of a game is how quickly you can beat it, I'd hate to see what you think of books and films.
You'll never find out because this is a videogame board.
>>>/lit/
>>>/tv/
Now, git the fuck outta here.

>Are pamphlets better than novels because all those shitty words get in the way?
I don't read novels but even nonfiction books are often unbearable to read because most authors are shitty writers who will repeat themselves endlessly and litter pages after pages with fucking retarded anecdotes just trying to get their point across to even the thickest of retards, which is painful to read.

>Get fucked.
Fuck you too, slowtard.

>> No.4880889

>>4880867
The banana bird shit is almost universally agreed upon to be a huge pain in the ass, worse than any dilation station.

>> No.4880896

>>4880230
But you do play Zelda in The Wand of Gamelon.

>> No.4880898

>>4880889
Banana birds are bullshit and only a bit more tolerable in the GBA remake, but non-linearity isn't bad, though.

>> No.4880934 [DELETED] 

>>4880775
It's getting old

>> No.4881017

>>4880158
>Go do an all-melons run and let us know when you're back

I did as a kid and still found the game too be too easy and the music was annoying. It was the worst game I paid full price for in the 90's.

>> No.4881069

>>4878664
I disagree. It’s really easy, but definitely not the worst sequel that title goes to New Island. It didn’t live up to Yoshi’s Island, but I still enjoyed it for what it is. Plus, other than for little kids, I think it’s also meant to be an arcade game to see if you can break the record (like collecting all the melons challenge).

>> No.4881079

>>4879752
>Look, the point is that even though you find it subjectively better to have your only reward be an exclamation mark on the level's name

This is a strawman.

>Also all games have secrets that are extremely well hidden, not just the first one, so this "mystique" argument, besides being extremely subjective and nostalgia-prone, is moot.

1's bonus stages are all breakable walls with no indicator or barrels that are mostly or fully off-screen. When they're bullshit leaps of faith they'll sometimes have a banana to show you "secret here," but they're so well-implemented that if you're not thinking about it, your eyes might just glaze over it.

2's and especially 3's bonus barrels are rarely obscured. They tend to show up right in your face with a big explosive "B" right on them, and merely require a mildly unconventional jump maneuver. Sometimes they might be "off the beaten path," but when there's a ledge above you with a banana trail that leads away from the main path of the level, I don't really consider that hidden. This isn't to say there aren't levels with a few tricky secrets (generally in 2 they're the DK coins and not the bonus stages), but these are the minority.

Even if I was wrong about this, I only said this was symptomatic of the mystique. I also cited the music and art, which are iconic to DKC and not well-replicated in the sequels. And for the record, I prefer 2 most days.

>> No.4881104

>>4881017
Not him, I don’t know how you found the collecting melons to be easy when you have to do those shits like that fluttering to the end challenge and the one where you have to hold a huge stack without dropping it. I found those shits frustrating as hell.

As for the soundtrack, most of the songs are actually pretty decent imo. I feel people mostly think about the title theme song with the singing Yoshis whenever they bring up the game’s soundtrack. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaXQGXCIZC4

>> No.4881113

>>4880743
Let me guess, you also think that SMB 3 is an inferior piece of shit because it has autoscrolling levels?

>> No.4881134

>>4881079
>This is a strawman.
It's not a strawman, it's exactly what you're implying. That it's better to have secrets like in DKC where there are no tacit rewards. You did run with your "mystique" argument and therefore neglected to mention that it's not like secrets aren't tallied by the game, your only reward being an exclamation mark and bumping up the completion percentage.

>>4881079
>I also cited the music
Music is awesome in all games, 2 is widely considered to be by far the best. It certainly is the most refined of the soundtracks. And 3's ambiance style is really good too, even the remake's tracks are nice (GBA sound notwhitstanding). There's nothing particularly special about 1's when 2 does it so much better.

>and art, which are iconic to DKC and not well-replicated in the sequels
The only "iconic" thing about DKC1 is the prerenderred look which the sequels did better anyway. Other than that it's a plastic jungle with a snowpeak and a factory being invaded by some lizard king. There's no thematic cohesion to it and there's nothing "iconic" about its aesthetics unless you're completely blinded by nostalgia. 2 had a cohesive pirate theme, far more variety in environments, and far better art. Even 3 at least has some semblance to a theme as well.

>I prefer 2 most days.
It is the better game by a mile.

>> No.4881140

>>4881017
Well thats understandable I suppose if you felt ripped off. I was all-in on renting games back then so I didn't feel so raw about it.

>> No.4881216

>>4881134
The implication was that it added to "mystique," not that it was better. Insofar that this was the only point I brought up, I did "run with it." If DKC's bonus rooms did eventually lead to an end goal of Lost World levels, sure, that would be nice. However, if you only judge the bonus rooms based on the reward, you're missing half the point, and you may as well argue that the Lost World levels should just be World 8 and do away with the pretense. With the focus shifted from "finding the room" to "perform these trials," they're just repetitive tasks.

My initial statement was to illustrate that I don't believe 1's relative detractors (especially "3 > 1" people) really understand how 1 was special (not "better"). Your post really just reinforces my perception of this. DKC1 had a dark, primal edge to it, even if some of the setpieces were a bit Lego—the colors, gradients, and shadows were excellent. The music was minimalistic and earthen. Where 2 and 3 had "Lost Worlds," the entirety of 1 had this feeling. This is, additionally, more cohesive than Pirate Ship -> Volcano -> Swamp - > Carnival, or "let's have a random snow peak in the middle of the Lakeside world."

Putting this all under the heading of "nostalgia" just because the sequels improve or build on some fundamental things is an insipid excuse not to see the finer details of it.

>> No.4881297

>>4881216
The focus shifted to finding the room AND performing these trials so that you can Access more content; in DKC, it was … find the room and then do whatever because it's not important. I don't know about you, but I purposefully messed up things in the bonus rooms just to avoid the animal statues so I could keep playing the game without being forced to play the same unskippable pseudominigame again.

Lost World levels are not "World 8". You can tackle them in between worlds in a non linear fashion. That's part of their appeal.

I still don't see what's so "special" about DKC1, but I appreciate you clarifying it. I mean, your argument is that it's "dark and primal" (feelings that are wholly subjective and, I mean, it really isn't), which you only concretely describe as being basically unrefined compared to the other two. I guess that's something special in the sense that it makes it stand out from the others, but it makes it stand out negatively. Less gameplay choices, less levels, more limited sountrack, plastic gaphics, I don't think any of this makes it "special", it makes it forgettable in comparison to the others.

I don't see how DKC1 levels have a "primal" "Lost Worlds" feeling to them. Only a few beginning levels felt wholly realized aesthetically to me.

Also the snow peak is not in the middle of a lake in 3. It's in the northern reaches of the map which is supposed to be based on the "northern hemisphere", so it makes sense, much more sense than a snowy jungle tropical island.

2's level themes are totally random, yes, but the aesthetic is cohesive with the pirate theme which runs through all levels, all enemies, all bosses (bosses being the worst part of 1), and even powerups. 1 has a very faint factory theme at best, in addition to a world that also doesn't make much sense.

>> No.4881325

>>4881297
>I purposefully messed up things in the bonus rooms.
So do I. You have to sort of look at it in an axiomatic way. For me, the pleasure is in breaking a wall that I wasn't expecting to hold a secret. This is a very Miyamoto-like aspect of game design: finding that which is hidden and exploring it, but not necessarily for an explicit reward. In this way, the focus is on the journey, not the destination, to use a trite idiom.

>>4881297
>Lost World levels are not "World 8". You can tackle them in between worlds in a non linear fashion. That's part of their appeal.
I suppose it's appealing that if you get stuck on one you aren't necessarily locked out of the others (though IIRC this was not true in DKC3 and you still had to do those in order), but otherwise this doesn't really affect the game much, does it?

>Also the snow peak is not in the middle of a lake in 3. It's in the northern reaches of the map which is supposed to be based on the "northern hemisphere", so it makes sense, much more sense than a snowy jungle tropical island.
No, I mean the random snow level in World One.

>the aesthetic is cohesive with the pirate theme which runs through all levels, all enemies, all bosses
Because the pirate enemies are everywhere doesn't make the overall aesthetic cohesive, it just means they're there. The question here is integrity. Pirate is a very generic theme that doesn't have many relevant backdrops other than the sea. They simply sank a pirate ship into a few of the worlds (including the lava one which doesn't make much sense even if it does enable an interesting level).

more on DKC1 in a bit

>> No.4881373

2/2
>>4881325
didn't mean to quote post # twice there for some reason

Anyway, the idea behind the original Donkey Kong Country is that the Kremlings are industrial imperialists encroaching on "virgin land." You might think I'm trying to push an agenda here, but it's really just a simple story (compare Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee). This is why Kremkroc Industries exists. They built smokestacks, turned the land a disgusting brown, poisoned the water, and stole all the bananas (i.e. natural resources).

When you look around Donkey Kong Island, you see why this land would be so attractive to explorers/conquistadors/whatever. Clearly it's uncharted territory. There are old abandoned mines: who made these and for what purpose? Who could tell? There are intact temples, lush rainforests, regular forests, treetop houses, and pristine caves and waters. These are all coherent to DKC1's theme of "old Aztec/African tribal era, pre-conquest." If you don't think exploring dank caves/rainforests and primitive hints societies set to moody ambiance isn't dark and primal, I don't know what to say.

>bosses being the worst part of 1
granted

>> No.4881564
File: 461 KB, 1440x900, snow.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4881325
>No, I mean the random snow level in World One.
Interesting discussion here though, but have nothing to add other than pic related. That snow level was actually a fairly realistic depiction of the area.

>> No.4881572

>>4881564
DKC was praised as being realistic at the time, wasn't it?

>> No.4882190

>>4881134
>Music is awesome in all games
Nope, that's just not true. 3 has some okay tracks but also a lot of really horrible ones. 1 & 2 only has really great ones and a few okay ones. The tracks that are not that great in 1&2 are still decent. The tracks that miss the mark in 3 are really bad.

>> No.4882223

>>4881216
>If DKC's bonus rooms did eventually lead to an end goal of Lost World levels, sure, that would be nice
I would argue against that strongly. I hate the idea of having to hunt for numerous secrets to gain access to a Lost World. This was even done badly in DKC2, where not only did you have to collect shit to get to the world, you had to collect shit to get to every level of it, which really makes no sense. If it had to be collecting shit to gain access, it should have been only a one time thing, so that once you gain entry to the Lost World you can complete the levels without need to collect more.

It's fucking Rare's game design decline towards collectathons in full swing. That's the beauty of DKC1, Rare hadn't caught that disease yet. There is no need to find every last bonus room, which is a chore, other than for bragging rights. That is ideal for me. Finding one only gives you lives, which you shouldn't need anyway, so they are truly BONUS rooms, bonus rooms should be a pleasant surprise when you find them, not a requirement that places the burden of having to find them all on you. DKC2 already got that wrong and DKC1 is infinitely more elegant and pleasant in its handling of bonus rooms.

I like having a Lost World with secret levels though. It makes DKC2 better and I would have really liked it if something like that had been in DKC1 but the entrance to that world should be like SMW does it, where you have to find the hidden entrance and then the path is open and you have access to the entirety of it. Superior Japanese games design, folded five thousand times. Seriously, fuck Rare's obsession with forcing you to collect shit.

>> No.4882230

>>4881297
>just to avoid the animal statues so I could keep playing the game without being forced to play the same unskippable pseudominigame again.
Yeah, that was bullshit. It should be so that you can trade the statues in at Cranky's and enter the animal levels at your own leisure. Them being triggered automatically and then even setting you back to the beginning of the level you were just playing is utter horseshit.

>> No.4882239
File: 355 KB, 2197x1463, thumbs up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>4881325
>For me, the pleasure is in breaking a wall that I wasn't expecting to hold a secret. This is a very Miyamoto-like aspect of game design: finding that which is hidden and exploring it, but not necessarily for an explicit reward. In this way, the focus is on the journey, not the destination, to use a trite idiom.

Beautifully put, It's exactly like that for me too.

>> No.4882264

>>4881297
>Lost World levels are not "World 8". You can tackle them in between worlds in a non linear fashion. That's part of their appeal.
For you. What appeals to you is annoying to me. In my opinion, you have shit taste.

>Less gameplay choices,
Better gameplay that is more fun and rewarding in execution because of more powerful sound effects and physics that have more added momentum after rolling through an enemy.

>less levels
Less gimmicks and the gimmicks that are there are more fun, barrel blasting especially. Which I suppose people complained about because they found it too difficult, because it was missing from 2 and 3. There's some of it but it's not as prevalent or as challenging as in 1.

>more limited sountrack
A soundtrack which a much more coherent theme and with a much higher quality standard.

>plastic gaphics
Don't even fuckiing mention graphics if you want to defend 3. The enemy redesigns are horrendous and the animations are so subpar that most amateurish hobbyist animators could've done a better job.

>I don't think any of this makes it "special", it makes it forgettable in comparison to the others.
Because you have shit taste, buddy. There's no other way to put it. You like things that should not be liked by anyone. People like you is why Britney Spears sold records, why McDonald's is still around and why there are retards on the internet who argue that DKC3 is the best game of the trilogy.

>> No.4882284

>>4878505
This, it's still an 8/10 game for me.

>> No.4883408

>>4878502
>Is this the worst sequel to a series ever?
Definitely not the worst but maybe the most disappointing one because the bar was set so high by the predecessors.

>> No.4883427

>>4878502
Bonk 3 is a fat step down from Bonk 2

generic, soulless, re-uses assets to high hell, and not nearly as well designed

>> No.4885259

Why does everybody leave DKC2 alone? There's always discussion about either DKC1 or DKC3 being the best or the worst of the series but nobody ever tries to argue that DKC2 is the worst and rarely do you see anybody passionately defending DKC2 as the best of the series. Lots of people will say that it is their favorite but they generally don't sperg out about it.

Does this mean that DKC2 is the essence of the series while the first and third installment are in stark opposition in their nature? DKC1 being the choice of the gameplay purist while DKC3 is the favorite of those who enjoy presentation, collecting, minigames and generally everything that is extra over the actual core gameplay?

DKC2 might have the strongest, most prevalent and in your face theme with the dark gloomy pirate ghost stuff but it has less stuff tacked on than DKC3 and it also has less dynamic and fast gameplay than DKC1. So DKC2 has something for both types of player while DKC1 and 3 respectively cater much more to one type of player, the mechanics based gameplay enthusiast and on the other hand the comfy loving, token collecting player that wants to feel accomplished by completing little tasks instead of improving their skill at actually playing the game.

>> No.4885776

>>4885259
1 is the essence of the series, but 2 is functionally the better game in more ways than it's not. Most people I've talked to who aren't 3fags seem to basically feel this way, regardless of whether 1 or 2 is their actual favorite.

>> No.4885805

>>4885776
>1 is the essence of the series
Nah. You may not like how the series ends up focusing on collectathons, but the fact is that 1 is far removed when compared to how 2 and onwards were developed. You can tell that most of the seeds of 2 and the rest of the games can be found in 1, but it was 2 that really developed the DKC formula, for better or for worse. So in that sense 2 would be the essence.

>> No.4885825

>>4885805
Actually, I like collectathons. But to say that 2 developed the formula is kind of an odd statement. The formula followed by what, one additional game? Unless we're including the non-retro games, which if we are, aren't even made by many of the key people from the originals, if any.

>> No.4885843

>>4885805
1 is more or less the face of the series, it's what's represented in shit like smash and mario kart, even the modern ones like returns and tropical freeze follow 1's formula more than they do 2.

>> No.4885853
File: 15 KB, 502x417, 1513650935821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>4879869
Shit, I didn't even know this existed, which is weird considering what a big deal the first game was. Was it really that bad?

>> No.4885873
File: 194 KB, 768x1024, 1495072781556.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

I loved all three as a kid. And I still do. They hold up in the modern area.

That's enough for me. When I see anyone hate on the series or any particular game in the series, first thought in my head is "okay, so this guy's an asshole who probably suffers from depression, OCD, or some other mental illness".

I mean, the series isn't perfect. But there is nothing to hate or dislike here, unless your serotonin levels are fucked up.

>> No.4885892

>>4885873
Oh, and BTW, I get the same feeling from people who shit on the Genny Sonic games, Early Mario(or pretty much any Mario platforming game), etc. Even people who bitch about the crying baby in YI. Hey DUMBASS. You're not supposed to hear that baby. If you do it means you fucked up. That's your punishment for not having an instant death when you hit an enemy.

>> No.4885895

>>4885825
>The formula followed by what, one additional game? Unless we're including the non-retro games,
DKC64 exists, you know.

>>4885843
Donkey Kong Jr. (the character) is the face of the series, because it's named after him. In gameplay, 2 is the one that really sets how the other two games in the series are designed.

>> No.4885912

>>4881104

To be fair the last time I did the all melon run was back in the 90's. I still remembered it being really easy compared to basically everything else I was playing at the time.

I'm not too bitter about the game these days but I wish I had just rented it instead of expecting it to be on par with Yoshi's Island.

>> No.4885913

>>4885895
I would hesitate greatly to dignify Donkey Kong 64 with inclusion in the Country series.

>> No.4886150

>>4880867
>Overworld exploration lets you search for secret minigame stages (the banana bird crystal things) and, more importantly, allows for a degree of sequence breaking and non-linearity, since when you upgrade your boat you progressively unlock sets of worlds and can choose the order in which you beat them.
The potential was definitely there, but DKC3's "nonlinearity" consisted of only worlds 3 and 4 before putting you back on a one-way street.

>> No.4886160

>>4886150
Isn't it two-tiered? I haven't played it in aged, but I think you can choose between worlds 3 and 4, then worlds 5 and 6 (and Krematoa in between, but that's stunted by how many bonus coins you manage to collect).

>> No.4886356

Not retro, but in my mind resident evil 5 & 6 are the worst sequels ever made

>> No.4886569

>>4880743
>LIMITED SCROLLING IS INHERNTLY BAD
HOW TO SPOT A PLEB LMAO

>> No.4886649

>>4886569
It is when the level is so easy that you constantly get stuck at the top, unable to move further up because the screen won't let you up further.

>> No.4886669

>>4885873
You're really just making wild assumptions about others based on your very personal feelings. I played and loved 1&2 as a kid and was looking forward to 3 so much, I wanted to love it, I was sure I would love it, but I was so bitterly disappointed I didn't even finish it as a kid. I only replayed it as an adult so I could argue better about how shitty the game is because I hate it so much. That might be odd behavior but where do you think we are dot jay peg.

While 3 is not all bad, it has elements to it that are indefensible on their own. The best example of this would be the objectively worse than amateurish and completely wooden animations of the new kremlings. There is also the fact that the game was designed by a B-team of former assistants to the actual creative people behind 1&2. A lot of these B-Team developers never worked in the videogame industry again after DKC3 or if they did it was some horrible shovelware mobile games.

3 is the black sheep of the trilogy. There is no way anybody can deny this. You can have your personal preference but do not dare try to distort the reality of the situation. This is important stuff, you know. We are arguing about videogames here after all.

>> No.4886673

>>4885825
>which if we are, aren't even made by many of the key people from the originals
Neither is DKC3, which is why it is so heavily flawed.

>> No.4886846

>>4882223
>fuck Rare's obsession with forcing you to collect shit.
this times 100.
I hated DK2 the most because of this forced bullshit. I can never enjoy anything in this god forsaken shitheap because I have to search for retarded shit, bonus bananas, bonus coins and whatnot BONUS.
But OH YOU NOT DARE say that this is an annoying gameplay, since this is a masterpiece of trancendal proportions that only plebs do not get. RARE is godcock of good gaming! Suck it, plebs! Only true gamers appreciate their shit!

I also hate Diddy with a passion, this cap wearing cool-kid shit is the bane of my existence. May he suffer for all eternity and beyond. He's just 'to cool for school'. Hated that shitstain since forever. NEver wanted to play as him, but he was being forced down your throat because RARE sure knows how to FUCK YOU UP and annoy the shit out of you. That's why I love DKC3, it's a all around more relaxed game and Diddy isn't in it. That alone is a huge step up! I want to show his guitair up his chimpansee ass till he pukes red. Fuck this fucker.

I give it to DKC2 though, the levels all had nice atmosphere and the music was fan-fucking-tastic. But gameplaywise it's sucks Gramps shriveld monkey balls. COLLECT ALL THE STARS!
No! No, I no collecting your shitty stars! Fuck you! I want to play a game not search every frame for hidden barrels for the offchance of it containing that 1 last fucking DKC coin for 100%. I swear, the only ones who love this game are those assholes who went through the hours and pains to do all this asanine bullshit from RARE's HIV-invested toilet and jerk of to their 'accomplishment'. Bragging rights? More like SHITUPYOURASS rights!

>> No.4887102

>>4885892
>Even people who bitch about the crying baby in YI. Hey DUMBASS. You're not supposed to hear that baby. If you do it means you fucked up. That's your punishment for not having an instant death when you hit an enemy.
I dont even mind the baby but this is the absolute worst logic

>> No.4887426

>>4886846
Is this what autism looks like?

>> No.4887467

Jesus Christ the amount of caps-spammed e-celeb-style retardation posts in this thread

DKC3 is alright and generally feels pretty polished but is definitely weaker than DKC2 and at points feels like a chore to grind through more than it should compared to the previous game

>> No.4887854

>>4886846
Nice circa-1998 internet comedy writing

>> No.4888293

>>4881297
>Less gameplay choices, less levels, more limited sountrack, plastic gaphics
That's exactly what I love about it.

>> No.4888312

>>4885873
You sound like the chapter in a self-help book where they tell you to only associate with positive people.

>> No.4888415

The level names in Japanese DKC1 are ridiculously prosaic. Kremling Cave, Kremling Cave 2. Gnawty Ruins, Gnawty Ruins 2. They got better in the sequels, though.

>> No.4888668

>>4886160
>I think you can choose between worlds 3 and 4, then worlds 5 and 6 (and Krematoa in between
I'm pretty sure you have to finish K2 (world 5) before you can get to the 6th one, but it's been a while for me too so I could possibly be wrong.

Kremtoa is completely linear though, unlike Lost World where you could spend your Kremcoins at any entry point. As a kid I'd unlock and play through a stage before resetting the console and going to the next one, I appreciated being able to have fun playing every bonus stage even though it took me ages finding every secret and being able to open the levels permanently.

>> No.4888690

>>4881373
The mines were stripped of ore long ago, that much we do know from the dkc1 manual.

>> No.4888976

>>4887467
theres a lot of backpedalling in the later levels. reminds me of banjo kazooie they would later make

>> No.4888979

>>4878664
>They took everything that was great about Yoshi's Island
There was nothing great about Yoshi's Island.

>> No.4889014

>>4886846
Hey, it wasnt that bad in DKC2, mostly cause the hidden bonus were less ''too well hidden'' than the ones in DKC1.

>> No.4889237

>>4887854
Time travelers are real

>> No.4889241
File: 26 KB, 342x334, 51CNS93GWKL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4889242

>>4889014
>less ''too well hidden'' than the ones in DKC1
I disagree. The hidden levels are basically all hidden the same way, and once you see the pattern, they're pretty easy to find. Orang-utan Gang is an obvious exception to this. That level was ridiculous.

>> No.4889483

>>4888415
My assumption has always been that they wanted to imitate the Super Mario World level naming scheme, for some reason, but it was disappointing nevertheless to see the creativity of the original text thrown out the window.

>> No.4891738

>>4886649
wow you actually suck dick, that's cool!

>> No.4891756

>>4889483
>creativity
I don't know about you but I don't consider puns as level names creative. Slightly tongue-in-cheek maybe in the best case. I do agree with you that the numbered level names is worse than it though.

>> No.4891861

>>4880803
If your measure of a game is how quickly you can beat it, I'd hate to see what you think of books and films.

This guy doesn't watch movies with 1.2-1.5x speed to save time.

>> No.4892086

>>4891738
How is that even supposed to make sense?

>> No.4892421
File: 264 KB, 552x585, Brah.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4888979
The actual worst post i ever read, you shoudl feel proud anon

>> No.4892438

>>4888979
> be you
> 12
> never played yoshi's island
unbelievable! kek. I wish. no, it's totally believable.

> SUMMER 2018: MORE CANCEROUS THAN 2017!

>> No.4894239

the worst

>> No.4894247

>>4878519
Because Elvis8Atari started both threads

>> No.4894248

>>4880007
>Wanting people to respect your personal space is autistic
>Having fun in a specific way is autistic
>Eye contact, a learned behavior
>Wanting consistency is autistic
>The rest of them are >opinions
>Only two of them are actually unusual

This shit is hate speech.

>> No.4894923
File: 55 KB, 450x338, 1516927793315.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4878505
This, honestly. I feel that it's a case of having to follow up to DKC2, which isn't an easy feat.

>> No.4895095

>>4879298

It's not that much of a sequel

>> No.4895123

>>4894923
dilbert.

>> No.4895125

>>4894247
what the fuck does matei have to do with this?

>> No.4895132

I love DKC3 but the last world is awfull. It's 100% shit lazy gimmick levels and probably the reason why most people hate the game.

>> No.4895150

>>4878656
>we're only ever allowed to talk about the exact same games, forever.
There were over 700 games each for the SNES, Genesis and NES, and over a thousand for the PS1 and Game Boy.

Your post doesn't adequately explain why every /vr/ thread is about the same 20 games.

>> No.4895285
File: 738 KB, 1440x1557, brainlet11.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4895132
>le gimmick maymay

>> No.4895292

>>4895150
Three quarters of games on any console are trash that aren’t even fun to criticize.

Some are good but for whatever reason don’t have anything worthwhile to discuss.

>> No.4895293

>>4892438
I played Yoshi's Island on demo units when it came out and I was 9 years old. It sucked then, it sucks now.

>> No.4895302

>>4878502

I'd say so. Everything looks and sounds worse than 1 and 2, and the terrible collectathon autism that Rare would push was already showing on this game.

>> No.4895307 [DELETED] 
File: 154 KB, 400x400, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>donkey kong country 3
>donkey kong isn't even in this game at all, at least you save him in 2

I'm honestly surprised Donkey Kong 64 didn't feature any of the DKC characters and was just about Chunky and HE arbitrarily fighting K Rool.

>> No.4895310
File: 154 KB, 400x400, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>donkey kong country 3
>donkey kong isn't even in this game at all, at least you save him in 2

I wouldn't have been surprised if Donkey Kong 64 didn't feature any of the DKC characters and was just about Chunky and HE fighting K Rool for whatever contrived reason.

>> No.4895381

>>4878502
do you guys all just have the same opinions or something? Jesus, you are like robots or something. I played this game as a kid, beat it, and loved it so fuck off. its great game, peace

>> No.4895385

>>4895381

> i loved eating shit, why didn't you guys like it as well?

>> No.4895434

>>4880158
I really wish DK was in 3 instead of Kiddy. That way each of the three Kongs had two games each between them, with every possible combination covered.

>> No.4895487
File: 104 KB, 270x400, 1495065170854.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>DKC1
>Kremlings wear combat gear.
>DKC2
>Kremlings wear pirate clothes.
>DKC3
>Kremlings are butt-naked.

>> No.4895498

>>4895487
K. Rool at that point didn't give a shit anymore and didn't want to waste money on gear, he just wanted the fucking Kongs dead.

>> No.4895635

>>4895498
Ironically enough, K. Rool in DKC1 is naked, whereas in DKC3 he has a lab coat and satefy gloves and goggles and stuff.

>>4895434
If they had done that, DK would probably still control just like Kiddy so as it stands we still have every possible combination, showing that Diddy is the best and everyone else is annoyingly slow.

>> No.4895671
File: 45 KB, 1366x768, hello.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4895310
>there will never be a Chunky and HE sitcom

>> No.4895692

>>4895487
The graphics became progressively more cartoony as well. The bee enemies (Zingers) in the first game are clearly rooted in reality despite some pleasing exaggerations, where as in 3 they'd changed into Looney Tunes-esque cartoon caricatures.

>> No.4895696

>>4895310
You save him in 3 also. He and Diddy are both trapped inside Kaos.