[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 240 KB, 1024x768, earthbound.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
483806 No.483806 [Reply] [Original]

how many of you screamed like a bitch in glee when earthbound was announced for the wii U's virtual console?
be honest
I should probably link you to what I'm talking about as well, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSXyo0z6LKA&feature=youtu.be

>> No.483852

This excited:
>>482547
>>477678
>>475098

>> No.483862

>>483852
oh shit
I really need to learn to use spiderchan before making threads

>> No.483863

can someone explain the excitement?

it's been available for free on the internet for fucking ever, i played it originally on the SNES, and ive replayed it several times both on my PC and on my iPhone.

what does this have that hasnt been available for a long time?

>> No.483867

Two more Earthbound threads not directly related to VC release:
>>467362
>>477684

>> No.483874

>>483862
The inbuilt [catalog] feature is pretty nifty for slow boards. You can basically refresh it on /vr/ every 8 hours and see every thread.

>> No.483897

>>483863
the main appeal is yo consolefags who
A) don't want to pirate
B) are too stupid to learn how to connect a controller to their PC and suck with a keyboard (this is actually somebody's legit excuse, what the fuck?)
C) own a slow/outdated computer
D) want better music quality from a TV

it also gives hope for a revival of the series

>> No.483912
File: 71 KB, 600x450, mutha2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why the hell would I care?

>> No.483918

>>483897

E) Retards who think they "own" that ROM image locked forever to their console.

Enjoy paying far too much for a ROM rental service.

>> No.483919

I love it. The price of the cartridge will fall now. Just like how it did with the PS2 classics and chrono triggur

>> No.483920

>>483863
Easily available to the public now, which can help the series get recognized as something more then "that hipster retro game where Ness came from"

More hope for Mother 3 now.

A potential price drop on the cartridge, since a lot of people here are collectors.

>> No.483939

>>483918
>>483897

sweet mother of god

>> No.483958

/vr/ more like /eb/
The sad part is noone actually talks about the fucking GAME. They only talk about meta shit like how much it's going for and "controversy" about the music and stupid hipsters.

>> No.483965

>>483806
>Nintendo Direct 4.17.2013
God damn. Iwata is actually a pretty smart guy when he's not speaking engrish. I don't mind waiting an extra hour or two for subs if he decided to speak english.

>> No.483972

>>483958
Because the controversy and meta shit is the only reason Earthbound is really notable at all.
It's a good game but unless you want to spew stupid shit like the abortion theory there's not a lot to talk about.

>> No.483969
File: 138 KB, 270x270, sodomyplease.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>483958
I'd be alright with an /eb/ board.

>> No.483978

>>483897
>C) own a slow/outdated computer
I'm pretty sure my toaster could run Earthbound.

>> No.483994

>>483972

Replace 'good' with 'decent' and I agree.

People still tell me that Earthbound is among the most original games ever produced/the best game on SNES/the best RPG ever made/the best game in existence and I always look at them with this bizarre confusion on my face. Earthbound is okay, but I can think of at least 10 RPGs on SNES alone I'd rather play

>> No.484013

>>483920
>More hope for Mother 3 now.

Why is there any hope left for Mother 3 anyway. It's not like anybody is still waiting for Mother 3. That'd be insane.

>> No.484024

>>483994
I wouldn't call it one of the best games on the system like most other Mother fans do, but I still think it's a pretty solid game. The battle system is a bit archaic compared to a lot of other SNES RPGs, since it was basically NES Dragon Quest, but the writing kept it interesting.

I also really liked the auto-kills on the overworld and the scrolling health meter. Wish more games included those features.

>> No.484045

>>483972
Then you faggots need to stop bringing it up

>> No.484053

>>483994

this has been stated a million times but i think the main reason for the all the praise is not the mechanics (they were OK but like >>484024
said fairly straightforward/even archaic) but the unique setting, writing, humors, etc.

ive never been able to get into games like dragon quest, regardless of which one, because the plot is so unnervingly bland i cant even enjoy the gameplay.

i'm not trying to turn this into a story vs. gameplay discussion but i think earthbound is an excellent example of a story/setting that really turns around an otherwise less-than-mediocre game.

>> No.484083

>>484013
They could do a port of it for the Virtual Console and do the same with Mother 1

It's not that hard

>> No.484092

>>484053
I really can't stand RPGS outside of action or strategy, but I forced myself to play Earthbound and Mother 3 and I enjoyed them both

>> No.484089

>>484024

The scrolling health meter is the only thing Earthbound brought to the table in terms of gameplay and it's really not that big of a deal. It even makes the game kind of easy mode because even if you've received a deathblow you can still revive your team mates or attempt to kill the enemy without penalty.

>>484053

The story isn't that great. I mean, Mother 3, now THAT is a story. But Earthbound lacks so much depth in its story I can't believe people say it's good. The setting is just real life, which I supposed was unique to American gamers at the time since Mother never went outside Japan.

I can understand your point about it being more enjoyable than Dragon Quest, after all, the earlier DQs do have some super boring stories, but the setting really isn't "unique" and the writing isn't that great in my opinion. The game does have some funny moments, like Happy Happy Cult, but otherwise it just seems like it tries too hard to be quirky when really it's just... average. That's just my opinion, though. I understand that there are more people who think like you than me.

>> No.484110

>>484089

yeah, plus the scrolling health meter can fuck you because of how slow the text might go.

e.g. if you receive a deathblow, and then an enemy gets to go next and gets a critical "SMAAAAAASH" that text takes 2x as long to write which means less time to use a heal before your character croaks.

on that note, if you choose 'slow' text speed at the beginning wouldn't this fuck you over in terms of the scrolling health bars?

>> No.484115

>>484089

i can see your point about the story but i think you'd have to place it in context, what other games had similar writing/atmosphere around that time? i was pretty young when i played it but i remember having a hard time getting back to my medieval circlejerk games after beating it.

>> No.484117

>>484110
>on that note, if you choose 'slow' text speed at the beginning wouldn't this fuck you over in terms of the scrolling health bars?

Yes. And enemies with longer names have a slight advantage on you!

>> No.484135

am i already too late to sell my snes copy for $200?

>> No.484150

>>484135

no, plenty of hipsters/collectors/both that are willing to pay $200 for the plastic.

>> No.484161

>>484135

I don't believe so. The only people who want the carts fall into 3 categories:

-People with beloved memories of the game and playing the game
-Collectors
-Hipsters who want it because Earthbound is chic

I can only imagine the last category losing interest in buying the cart, which will mean the price will slowly drop, but you still have time.

>> No.484190

>>483918
Actually, they technically buy the rights to use the ROM, which can be transferred on the Wii U. Don't quote me on the second one.

>> No.484204

>>484190

if you proved to nintendo that you owned an original copy, would they be obligated to let you download the rom?

>> No.484219

>>484204
Legally and ideally, yes. You bought the rights once.

Realistically? Nope.

>> No.484243

>>484190
>>484204
>>484219

VERY high levels of misinformation here.

>> No.484251

>>483806
Not me. Why the fuck would I scream in glee for an emulated copy of Earthbound that costs money?

What sort of imbecile are must one be to do that?

>> No.484254

>>483920
>the series get recognized as something more then "that hipster retro game where Ness came from"
But that's exactly what it is. Even if you're a fan, you can't honestly argue with that, can you?

>> No.484260

>>484243

not that i would expect nintendo to do that, i was just curious. its all software licensing so i would imagine they would send it to you.

i guess 'obligated' was probably the wrong word.

>> No.484259

>One thread complaining about the market price
>One thread complaining about buying a rom
Don't understand that at all. If you have emulated it, then find, thanks for being part of the cancer.

>"But buying a rom is cancer!"
Yeah, because showing support for a game franchise thousands have been begging for in hopes that those in the US and EU wont continue to get left out is the stupidest thing you can do.

Fuck off emulation fags.

>> No.484263

>>484219
>Legally and ideally, yes.
Legally, no. The VC release is a completely seperate product + digitals ervice, you entitled douche.

>> No.484296

>paying 4roms

>> No.484345

>>484260
That's just it. Purchasing a game doesn't mean you own the game, it means you own a license to use the game in any form you please. Looking at it, the VC is a completely separate license from an original copy.

Emulation due to the first license is technically legal.

Transferring due to the second license should be possible.

Pardon me for being an entitled douche.

>> No.484367

>>483897
>C) own a slow/outdated computer

That's only a problem if you're stupid enough to fall for the BSNES scam

>> No.484389
File: 40 KB, 1024x768, Fuck.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can already emulate it one damn near EVERYTHING.

I can emulate this ON MY PHONE.

Honestly, it's a fucking cash grab technique that you're all falling for.

>> No.484402
File: 15 KB, 196x270, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>483863
This is your chance to play it -legally- at home, on your TV, from a console the way it was originally intended to be played.

This makes it widely available

This makes it to where Nintendo can get paid for it and you get to play it without remorse of breaking the law (if such remorse exists, because at the end of the day if you pirate a game you're playing it illegally no matter how much you rationalize)

>> No.484419

>>484402
>at home, on your TV, from a console the way it was originally intended to be played.
Not unless you have a CRT, an SNES, and an SNES controller.

Otherwise you're still not playing it the way it was intended to play.

>> No.484420

>people want money for something they made
THOSE DIRTY JEWS

>> No.484425

>>484389
see

>>484402
>This makes it to where Nintendo can get paid for it and you get to play it without remorse of breaking the law (if such remorse exists, because at the end of the day if you pirate a game you're playing it illegally no matter how much you rationalize)

And I've been there. I've rationalized downloading MP3's and movies, and it's so simple now people like this
>>484402
see it as normal common everyday stuff and forget that they truly are stealing.

Rationalize all you want, fellas, but do see things as what they are, don't lie to yourself. I'm not preaching and telling anyone to stop doing it or anything like that but at the end of the day if you pirate a rom you're stealing and using it illegally without permission of the creators.

Just clarifying things.

>> No.484431

>the way it was intended to be played

Worst argument on /vr/

>> No.484436

>>484425
>if you pirate a rom you're stealing

Oh no, I'm stealing a limited quantity of digital files not even stored on Nintendo's servers

>> No.484441

>>484425
>rationalizing piracy
Ahahhahhaha, I'd never rationalize my piracy. That implies that I care, or even worse, that I regret it.

>> No.484443

>>484431
It may be but seriously on my computer screen with a shitty PC controller games just aren't the same

On a phone screen they definitely aren't the same

On my PSP, that's the closest I've gotten to a good retro experience

But nothing beats living room, on your TV just like old times.

>>484436
Again I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, just see it as it is.

Rationalize all you want but it's stealing and using property illegally at the end of the day.

>> No.484449

>>484441
You rationalize it by saying you don't care and that makes it ok.

>> No.484453

If I owned a Wii U, I'd purchase a copy on principle.

>> No.484458

>>484402
>Earthbound was meant to be played on a WiiU
>You can not plug a computer into a TV
>People feel remorse for piracy

All of these things were implied in that post and all of these things are wrong.

>> No.484457

>>484453
Yeah, that's all I'm saying.

And if the game gets enough support we might even get a sequel

>> No.484462

>>484449
No, I admit that it's wrong by certain moral standards, but it doesn't bother me. Lack of rationalization != a form of rationalization.

>> No.484468

>>484449
You sound like a vegetarian. They couldn't make me feel that eating meat was wrong and you can't make me feel like downloading old software that hasn't been relevant in almost two decades is wrong.

>> No.484469

>>484457
Ehh... I highly doubt a sequel would happen. Maybe something done with Mother 1 and/or 3. At best, the sales boost might convince Itoi to make an entirely new game.

>> No.484491

>>484458
>Earthbound was meant to be played on a WiiU
No it wasn't, but it was meant to be played in a living room on your home TV

There's a certain feeling to this that nothing else matches

You can, but not everybody has their TV's next to the computer.

>People feel remorse for piracy

They don't, and they will, they rationalize, they become edgy bastards by saying "I don't care I are badass derp derp" but that's not what's at discussion here. What's at discussion is that the only way to play it legally now will be own an snes and cartridge or WiiU

>>484462
No, you're saying you don't care and that makes it ok to steal for you

>>484468
I actually eat my steaks rare and I admit I used to rationalize downloading Mother 3 illegally by saying Nintendo wasn't giving me a choice, but now in respect for all the years I've played this game illegally I will download it pay for it and play it just to show my support

>>484469
I would love an entirely new game too

>> No.484492

>>484443
>downloading
>stealing

Maybe you should look up the definition of stealing instead of parroting the jew media

>> No.484497

>>484491
By that logic, agnosticism is a religion, and anarchy is a governmental system.

>> No.484502

>>484491
oh also

>thinking eating meat is wrong

that always makes me laugh

>>484492
At the end of the day you're using somebody's work without their permission even if it's just a copy how is that not stealing?

YOU should look up the definition of stealing instead of parroting the rationalizations of the internet

>> No.484512

>>484497
agnosticism is a religious belief and anarchy is the governmental system where people choose to have no government

>> No.484515

>>484502
>taking a picture of the eiffel tower is the same as stealing it

>> No.484527

>>484512
Ahhahahhahahahhahahahhahaaaa

>> No.484521

>>484502
>Laughing at irrational beliefs while defending irrational beliefs

>> No.484531

>You wouldn't download a car etc...

>> No.484539

>>484420
But they made it, and got paid for it, 20 years ago. Is there any added content to this release?
Square added content to their re-releases, that's why I bought them. What makes this worth money?

>> No.484561

>>484512
>agnosticism is a religious belief

You mean atheism

>> No.484554

>>484458

Emulation fans really need to quit with this. Everyone knows that you can hook a computer up to a tv.

It makes sense if you still live in a room at your parents' or in a dorm or something, but people in post-teenage living situations don't typically keep a desktop computer in close proximity to their TV for a permanent connection and I don't want to have to connect a laptop to my tv every time I want to play a game when it can be played through a console that's already connected.

Now hooking a laptop up to my tv to play games via USB controllers is exactly what I did when I was a broke student, but now that I'm not I don't mind paying a few bucks for convenience

>> No.484556

Because it's Earthbound. If you don't want it, don't buy it. A company can do what it wants with its releases, especially when it's hardly a negative thing.

>> No.484557
File: 19 KB, 450x338, happys2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

That's right kiddies keep downloading games illegally!

The fact that you don't care or that it was made a long time ago or that you rationalize it to be ok makes it ok!

Oh and don't listen to that stupid little conscience, fuck that little asshole he doesn't know shit...

Promise you'll be happy forever and everything will turn out ok!

>> No.484573

>>484554

This. I can't believe people expect gamers to go drag their desktop in the living room every time they want to hook something up on a TV.

>> No.484601

>>484554
What if you keep an old laptop connected to your television for gaming purposes, and use a tablet for all your computer and internet purposes.?

>> No.484603

>>484554
So you live in a world where cables can only ever reach a few centimeters at most?

>> No.484605

It all boils down to this: If you know and love the game you will support it, considering this is the first time a Mother game that will hit our shores in 18 years or so. I was already planning on buying a WiiU for Wind Waker HD and Smash Bros, so an extra eight bucks to officially tell Nintendo that they've got my support is not much to ask at all. I am not saying everyone should run out and buy a WiiU just for EarthBound but if you are a fan of the game and own/plan to own a WiiU then you've got no reason not to get it. And all of you fuckers saying 'lulz paying for roms' can eat a dick. I've waited at least 10 years for some sort of rerelease and under normal circumstances roms are A-OK in my book, even for EB, but this is a special case. This is the fucking dream guys, it's a second chance to officially show some love for the Mother franchise.

>> No.484608

>>484502
So buying a used game is stealing?

>> No.484614

>>484603

Stop being dense. Having cords running through entire houses/apartments is annoying.

>> No.484643

>>484603

Are you purposely being dense? I live in a world where I have more than one room at my disposal and running cables from my home office to my game room just to save a few bucks is asinine

>> No.484637

This is a very difficult topic, not even because of the legal/illegal reasoning. It's just a major part of the problem.

As with me, I do believe that people can buy games for the Virtual Console (I wouldn't call it that, but thats what People choose when they came up with Emulation-"esque" techniques.)

People enjoy authentic experiences if there is nostalgia involved, it goes along with the same hardcore feeling as beating an old game again after 20 years. People play games for a large varity of reasons. One of the biggest seem to have a certain authentic feeling while playing them.

Even if anything related to VC'ing isn't really simulation of certain nostalgic feelings, I guess it's the closest thing that people can do to have it without buying stuff which already has been used - it contradicts with the old/childhood feelings.

Play an NES game with a Xbox360 controller or a VC'ed game on a Wii or whatever. It's different in a good way and probably worth a few bucks for many people. Those games aren't used either.

I guess the loudmouthed "legal vs. illegal" folk can't grasp that you feel enjoyment different than playing the vidya alone by playing it.

When I often play an old game I get so much more out of it then just playing though or even failing it. I guess others have the same feelings.

>> No.484660

>>484554
>>484573
You guys sound like you're still living at mom's house.
You really scatter everything around your house and then complain later? I bet your main computer is hooked up to wireless because for some reason the router is in a room with no computers.

Make a gaming zone bro.
Multi-monitor setups aren't that hard to setup.
Or you could just use an ancient computer setup to a TV, considering Emulators are piss easy to run.

>>484614
>Having cords running through entire houses/apartments is annoying.
Do you niggers even cable management? Hang all your cables along the roof and wall. Nothing is in the way then

Do you people even think before you post?

>> No.484665

>>484643
THIS

So what happens, you punch holes all over your walls or you run a cable from the computer in your room to the living room over the roof or under the floor just so you can play some computer games

Then when you want to start the game you run to your computer and start it, then run back to the living room with some kind of fucking long ass chord PC controller, and every time you want to switch a game you run back to the room the computer's in and switch it?

Do these assholes realize how stupid they sound? At all? How do they tie their shoes in the morning? How do they dress themselves? How do they find the brainpower to do the most basic motor functions? How are they even typing on their keyboard?

>>484660
NO I said I want to play the games in the large TV in my living room, and the WiiU is the only thing that will allow me to do that because I don't want to go through all the shit I mentioned at the beginning of this post

>> No.484663
File: 44 KB, 446x400, laughingchicks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You collectorfags are the best, first you mention that you need to have the games on original hardware to feel good with yourselves, then you go ahead and cream your pants for a paid rom, on a console.

>> No.484682

>>484665
>when you want to start the game you run to your computer and start it, then run back to the living room with some kind of fucking long ass chord PC controller, and every time you want to switch a game you run back to the room the computer's in and switch it?
What the fuck are you even talking about?

>> No.484701
File: 38 KB, 800x600, 1366114077200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484665

>> No.484713

>>484557
I really don't care. I played it months ago before any foresight that it would be released. Found it fairly mediocre and I don't want to support such a game. There are series I do want to support directly and was willing to, but even after trying to find a name for English release it still never left Japan.

You also have to realize some amount of people don't have a WiiU, and a game like this won't be the deal breaker if they will get one or not.

>> No.484728

>>484665
>Then when you want to start the game you run to your computer and start it, then run back to the living room with some kind of fucking long ass chord PC controller, and every time you want to switch a game you run back to the room the computer's in and switch it?

Dude have you ever heard of Wireless technology?
Also why the fuck would you even do any of that?
I have my PC hooked up to my TV because I can. I use it as my monitor. I also have a smaller monitor set up if I want to. If I wanted to get super hardcore into it I'd even get an Arcadevga and hook up a nice CRT.

My PC is my entertainment center. I can play/watch/listen to anything I want without having to get up.

>> No.484729

>>484665
2 things.

1: You sound like you are literally retarded.

2: You can buy a cheap laptop for the same price as the WiiU and be able to emulate damn near anything, and plug it into your TV.

You should probably kill yourself.

>> No.484731

>>484713
>You also have to realize some amount of people don't have a WiiU

Some? I would say the majority unless you're all fucking retarded. The Wii was cool but the WiiU has no redemption.

>> No.484751

>>484502

>At the end of the day you're using somebody's work without their permission

The game is almost 20 years old. Up until now, the only way of playing the game legally was to buy overly expensive copies online, and even then, the money wasn't going towards the devs. And now they want to re-release this 20 year old game without any significant changes and sell it to you again. They want to sell it to you after you either already bought it or have been emulating it for years now because you had no other choice. Why the fuck should anyone feel guilty about this? And don't deny it, you are trying to guilt people.

>> No.484743

>>484665
>inb4 I was only pretending
I had a really good laugh from this

>> No.484756

>>484502
>stealing implies someone lost something etc

>> No.484779

>>484660

>You guys sound like you're still living at mom's house

Yeah, no, that doesn't even make sense. . Nobody's complaining except you guys who are appalled at someone paying a few bucks to play a game worth playing.

>string cables around my house
>dedicated old computer hooked up to tv
>multi monitor set-ups

Or I can click 'buy', and not worry about it doing all of the above, because a few dollars here and there for something I enjoy isn't a life-altering financial choice.

Like I said in my post, I emulated when I was poor because it was worth going through the extra trouble when I didn't have the spare money to drop on old/rare carts to play them on my hardware or on new consoles to download them as virtual releases. Now that's no longer my situation

>> No.484797

>>484779
You do realize that you sound obnoxious as fuck right? Maybe you need to read that again.

>> No.484807

>>484779
>I emulated when I was poor because it was worth going through the extra trouble
>extra trouble
What trouble?

>> No.484836

>>484729
>2: You can buy a cheap laptop for the same price as the WiiU and be able to emulate damn near anything, and plug it into your TV.

Or I can buy a WiiU and leave my computer for computer games. It's funny that you'd accuse some anon of being retarded when you get way too worked up about how other people choose to enjoy their disposable income

>> No.484843

I tried out this game but I don't think it's that good. Nice atmosphere and stuff, but the gameplay just feels so meh to me. The graphics are kind of bad too but that's not as big a deal, the gameplay is what kills it for me

>> No.484849

>>484779
> I emulated when I was poor because it was worth going through the extra trouble

Yeah, because having all your "systems" conveniently organized in one of your hard drives is "trouble" but setting up 10 different consoles on the same living room isn't.
Seriously, you collectorfags must have some kind of trauma or some shit.

>> No.485117

>>484557
Can't wait for you to realize that if you bought a copy of earthbound secondhand you are just as bad as a pirate and you've lost money.

You can't demonize old software piracy unless you are going to demonize buying used copies.

>> No.485123

I am excited as fuck for the bubble to pop.
/thread.

>> No.485143

>>485140
What bubble do you think?

>> No.485140

>>485123
what bubble

>> No.485150
File: 58 KB, 723x267, ebchart.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>485140

>> No.485151

>>485143
I don't know you tell me

>> No.485159

>>485150
ohhhhh

Like castlevania symphony of the night used to be an arm and a leg and then when it was re-released the price went down dramatically

>> No.485172

>>484425
>stealing

Until now with Nintendo releasing it, who were you stealing from. I certainly doubt they're pushing new carts to stores and being paid for them.

>> No.485181

>>485159
exactly. A market bubble is created when a game that already has a high supply gets it's price driven up like crazy due to potential demand. The demand with Earthbound came later, when hipsters started buying the games due to "false rarity" and created a market for it under a market bubble. It is mostly due to Smash Bros and word of mouth.

Now that it is on VC, the demand for actual cartridges will drop significantly, leaving sellers upside down with a cart that is worth tens of times less than they paid for it.

>> No.485193

Why the fuck would I care about paying for ROMs?

>> No.485437

>>484660
>You guys sound like you're still living at mom's house.

Except I'm not. Nice try, chief.

>> No.486041

>>485159

That's not quite the same situation, it was the same system and people just wanted to play it.

>> No.486063

>>485181
Chrono Trigger still costs more than Earthbound in a lot of cases and that's been re-released several times, there's a chance it may not change much.

>> No.486067

I want a 3DS release goddamnit! I'm it a richfag and I'm it getting a wii u for earthbound!

>> No.486072

>>486067
I was thinking about this. I would love the games to be re-made in the style of the clay dolls.

>> No.486098

God damn it, I just realized how broken my post was. What I meant, is that I am not a richfag who can spend that a shitton if money to buy an overpriced system just to play a 20 year old Snes game I almost completed on my PSP.

Now that said, the experience I got from earthbound was very memorable, and I loved every second, and I'd be all for a 3DS release as I am really interested in buying one, and earthbound getting A 3ds release would certainly make the decision easier.

Now, iphone auto-correct, don't fuck this shit up.

>> No.486606
File: 1.25 MB, 312x176, that was beautiful.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>483939
>sweet mother of god
>sweet MOTHER of god

>> No.486620

>>486098
how about
>earthbound gets console rerelease (wii U)
>mother 3 gets worldwide release on handheld (3DS?)

>> No.487978

>>484557
thanks satan you'll always be ma bro

>> No.488068

This entire thread needs to go back to /v/

>> No.488125

Kind of happy, but seriously I'd just emulate it if I wanted to play it again.

>> No.488820

>>488125
Well you know what, sir. Your opinion sucks.

I have my Wii U on a shelf on a wall, and I never touch it. Why? Because I can control it completely with the gamepad, and use the gamepad to play EarthBound in bed.

The handheld that isn't even a handheld.

>> No.488854

>All these people being outraged about people using roms to play old games

I totally understand wanting to support games you like, but come the fuck on.

>> No.489098

>>488854
outraged?
I'm fine with emulating earthbound
but who wouldn't want to try that shit on a 52"?
and all for less than $200, the average eBay/amazon price

also, I'm not really glad for ME getting to buying earthbound
I'm more excited for the beautiful, inevitable, fallout of this
if Earthbound gets popularity from modern people, you KNOW something's gonna happen
fuck it, I'll be blunt, I think mother 3 is coming to the rest of the world once nintendo gets all its dosh from these sales. I'm ONLY going to buy it to increase that likelyhood

>> No.489117

I didn't.

>No Wii VC release, Wii U only
>I'm not going to spend over $300 to play a game that could be bought cheaper as an overpriced cart
>The Wii U's VC will likely be just like the Wii's VC, with only a trickle of releases after they open it up

Why should I be excited about it?

>> No.489129

I was going to say that with that ducktales game, MSF and this, WiiU is starting to gain some appeal to me...

But I see this thread turned into an emu vs original war

>> No.489167

>>489098
how the fuck does Nintendo make money of resales?

>> No.489179

>>489167
oh wii u - im 'tarded

>> No.489186

Holy shit, when did /vr/ get so /v/-like?

>> No.489220

>>489117
>>No Wii VC release, Wii U only
>waaaah, the companies are trying to make money again and I have to buy a new console
everybody knew nintendo would stop updating the wii's VC when a new console came out, catch up or leave

>> No.489242

I'm happiest now because of schadenfreude. All those people who bought copies only to resell them and make a giant profit are probably shitting themselves, wondering how it will affect all of their copies of Earthbound. I saw someone selling 10 copies for $2000.

>> No.489272

>>485172
This. I don't understand why people compare downloading a rom of a snes game to pirating new releases. Devs and publishers do not see a penny of used game sales. Who loses out on this? A person over charging on ebay for the cartridge? I own it though
Pirating new releases and downloading a game that isn't sold new in stores anymore are two totally different things.

>> No.489359

>>484849
>Seriously, you collectorfags must have some kind of trauma or some shit

The fact that you speak of your preferred method of playing old games with a practically religious conviction and accuse those who think differently of being traumatized is a bit childish, don't you think?

>> No.489371

>>489242
I hate speculative buyers as much as the next person, but there's a only the most miniscule crossover between people who'd be willing to pay big bucks for a real copy of Earthbound and people who'd be happy just playing an emulated version.

It's not as if people haven't already been able to play it in an emulator for years, or make/buy a clone cart. Nobody has had to fork out for an official cart just for a chance to play the game.

If anything more people becoming aware of it might drive demand for real copies.

>> No.489413

>>489220
The Wii U has been tanking in sales since launch. If Nintendo were smart they would keep supporting the Wii until the Wii U finally gets some momentum going.

Then there's also the fact that you have to pay extra money just to play VC games on the Wii U's tablet controller, something that takes zero effort on Nintendo's part to implement.

>B-b-but it's only a tiny amount!

A tiny amount that adds up extremely quickly if you bought dozens of VC games. It's nickel and diming of the highest order.

I'll put money down on there only being a few games available on the Wii U's VC when it launches, and then games will trickle out just like the Wii's VC did, even games that were already available on the Wii's VC. Nintendo is still absolutely incompetent when it comes to doing online. Why should I purchase a Wii U when they've shown no interest in fixing what was wrong with the Wii's online?

>> No.489446

>>489413
>I'll put money down on there only being a few games available on the Wii U's VC when it launches, and then games will trickle out just like the Wii's VC did, even games that were already available on the Wii's VC.
>even games that were already available on the Wii's VC.
hey, I just thought I'd point something out
you can use the wii u as a wii and still get the original VC selection, that's why the wii u's VC is near empty currently, they've already done all the obvious classics

>> No.489480

>>489371
They're both real copies. One's just in a plastic box with a sticker on it.

>> No.489507

>>489480
Indeed. But people who think that way were never, ever in the target market for $200 copies of Earthbound.

I'd be amazed if it lowers the market value of official carts.

>> No.489536

>>489413
>If Nintendo were smart they would keep supporting the Wii until the Wii U finally gets some momentum going.
Actively supporting a console that's been replaced with a newer one would accomplish little other than giving people *less* incentive to buy the new one.

>Why should I purchase a Wii U when they've shown no interest in fixing what was wrong with the Wii's online?

If that's your opinion then you shouldn't buy one. Vote with your wallet. People not buying hardware and thus financially burning those few who did buy said new hardware is what put Atari and Sega out of the console business. If this ends up being the case then you can go on /v/ and start "it's over, Nintendo is finished!" threads and brag about the fact that you helped participate in their demise.

>> No.489554

>>489536
this
you are what gives me hope in /vr/

>> No.489596

>>489536
>Actively supporting a console that's been replaced with a newer one would accomplish little other than giving people *less* incentive to buy the new one.

The vast majority of people still think that the Wii U is just a controller for the Wii. The Wii U is the only console in history that's ever had to be clarified that it was a new console and even that clarification failed. Nintendo thought they could get away with releasing a Super Gamecube with the Wii branding and it backfired horribly on them.

People already have no incentive to buy the new console, you might as well give them incentive to keep playing their old console.

I'm suggesting nothing more than something that would bring in even more money for Nintendo and you're hostile to it. If anyone is wishing for Nintendo to fail here, it's you.

>>489446
All of the games on the Wii's Virtual Console should be available on the Wii U's Virtual Console on day one.

>> No.489630
File: 18 KB, 336x309, lonk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

An HD remake of all 3 Mother games with hand-drawn sprites and smooth as fuck animations would've been nice Nintendo.
But this is cool too, thanks.

>> No.489682

>>489371
It's hit or miss, but the people trying to sell their games at those prices will at least be worried about which of the two possible outcomes it will bring about.

>> No.489705 [DELETED] 
File: 20 KB, 469x354, 1363181817252.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes, goyim! Feel ashamed for piracy, feel the shame of your white ancestors!
And when you're done, relinquish your 50 shekels for Earthbound™ on the Nintendo™ 3DS™ console!

>> No.489707
File: 36 KB, 453x640, 1343104817886.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>483806
I still have my copy from when I was a kid... played the shit out of it when I was 12 when it came out, so the news just came as... cool, i guess... whatever...

>> No.489727

>>489705
OP here
the reason for my excitement is because I think the series will get revived
I couldn't care less about pirating an snes game

>> No.489724

>>489705
>Nintendo™ 3DS™
It's on the Wii U, idiot. And get back to /pol/.

>> No.489747 [DELETED] 

>>489727
>>489724

Oy vey!

>> No.489761

>>489727

>Nintendo releasesEarthbound for the VC
>Everybody cheers
>Nobody buys it because, fuck it, we played the shit out of it in SNES9X 10 years ago
>Nintendo makes no profit
>The series has no new installment
>Nintendrones sad as fuck
>Iwata just laughs as they keep rehashing Mario

>> No.489764

>>489761
>rehash
>>>/v/

>> No.489772

>>489596
> you might as well give them incentive to keep playing their old console
Giving people incentive to play old consoles doesn't sell new consoles. You're speaking as if Nintendo just invented the concept of releasing a new platform and discontinuing support for the old one. This is a gamble that every console manufacturer takes whenever they release something new. As much as you might disagree with Nintendo's strategy, the simple fact is they're the only major manufacturer that's managed to stay in the game for ~30 years from the video game crash era until today.

>...and you're hostile to it
I said absolutely nothing with a hostile tone or intent. If you interpreted it that way, you should probably spend less time on /v/

>If anyone is wishing for Nintendo to fail here, it's you.
No, I don't wish for Nintendo to fail at all. I got a WiiU upon release. It's the future of Nintendo. Virtual Console releases aren't Nintendo's bread and butter, new titles from their classic IP's are. The minute the WiiU gets some new games with "Zelda", "Metroid", "Kart", "Smash" or "Pokemon" in the title, the hardware will sell just fine as it has its previous generations. I understand that you might not personally agree with their practices or how they're handling things, but isn't it a bit silly to presume that you're somehow smarter than their engineering and marketing departments combined?

>> No.489776

>the WiiU's virtual console
>not the 3DS

I get it. The WiiU isn't doing so hot, so they need something to promote it a little bit. But, man -- how cool would that have been? Earthbound on the go.

>> No.489785
File: 31 KB, 311x311, 1272580055420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>486041

You brought it recently, didn't you?

>> No.489793

>>489776
3DS doesn't have SNES virtual console on it yet.

>> No.489797

>>489776
the plan is probably to release EB for a console and mother 3 for a handheld
my guess anyway

>> No.489806

>>489705
Holy shit /po/ /v/, stop trying to shit up this board. You've got like 2 fucking toilets to shit in, use them.

>> No.489808
File: 645 KB, 609x533, not gonna feed himself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>489761
it's kinda of giving the illusion that there's hope for a revival, huh...

i, too, kinda hoped they'd announce a remake, or something. same game, updated graphics, music, ect...

oh well, wha'cha goin' do 'bout it, eh?

>> No.489837

>Using "virtual consoles" (which is business slang for expensive emulator)
>Even though within a week somebody will have homebrewed it in
AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.489839

>>489806
funny story
I went to /pol/ once, and they are thousands of times more civil than /v/ when you bring up the right topic
still not the best, but better than most people give them credit for

>> No.489881

>>489727
It's not a money or a demand issue though, Mother isn't exactly a blockbuster budget franchise. Itoi has openly stated there will be no more Mother games because he doesn't want to make any more.

>> No.490907

>>489707
This.
I'm pretty much burned out on Earthbound.
I haven't even gone back and replayed Mother 3.
Though I only finished Mother 1 through Spookane, maybe I should go back and finish it, if I can find the save/state.
Now THAT would be something to get excited over, an actual english Mother 1 release.

>> No.490958
File: 46 KB, 400x299, you_are_a_pirate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>484660

Emulators for Wii, do you know them?
I just bought a used Wii for $45 and had it hacked and setup with an SDHC card containing VB, NES, Genesis, SNES, GB(A), Beta N64 and beta PSX emulators in under an hour. And connected with progressive scan cabling.

If Virtual Console offered half of the features that emulation offered (savestates, fast-forward, rewind, netplay, rom hacks, graphics packs, choice of filters/graphical improvements), I'd be sold, even at $10 a game. But they don't offer them, not even netplay. So until they realize people want more than a simplistic dump of an old game, wear your eyepatch and be proud.

>> No.490967

>>483806
>paying for emulators
gigglesquee

>> No.490969

Mother 2 has been released a while ago on Wii U.
Anybody who even hoped otherwise is a deluded idiot.

>> No.491064

You fagets don't know what you want. First you complain that it's not on the VC... THEN when it comes , you complain. God fucking damnit. There is no pleasing you.

>> No.491080
File: 410 KB, 1680x1050, 1272696012342.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NESS

>> No.491864

Never played it. heard lots of good things.
I wont pirate it it wil probably cost like 5 bucks you fucking poor fags support a dying franchise

>> No.491982

>>491864
>it wil probably cost like 5 bucks
I wish it was that cheap, it goes for ~200 online

>you fucking poor fags support a dying franchise
why so suddenly hostile? anyway, the series is already dead, so dying isn't the right word

>> No.492052

>>489359
Not him, but he's kind of right. Also, you sound like a prick.

>> No.492146

Still just want it on 3DS. A 20 year old game isn't enough for me to purchase a 250 euro console.

However, 3DS.

>> No.492260

>>492146
That's why it's not on the 3DS. They're hoping this will sell systems.

Also, 3DS doesn't have SNES virtual console yet.

>> No.492314

>>484502
Ok, then, posting reaction gifs and taking pictures of paintings or art is stealing.

I hate you autistic faggots from Digitpress who compulsively collect every fucking cartridge and release from the fucking paleolithic days and berate other people for downloading a 20 year old game that can't be bought in a new physical form (that's going to benefit the devs, anyway, you could buy it new in shrink wrap if you have assburgers).

If I bought an Earthbound SNES cart, the devs would get just as much money as if I downloaded the ROM, that is to say, 0$.

>> No.492315

Like that would be an issue. Nintendo could fix that in no time.

And earthbound isn't going to sell to many systems alone, they can't rely on easy accessible 20 year old games for that.

>> No.492331

>>491064
>treating a whole board/fan-base as one person

>> No.492362

>>484443
>But nothing beats living room, on your TV just like old times.
Just because you're nostalgic for your childhood days and have some bizarre fascination with giving money to Nintendo to play a 20 year old game on an emulator doesn't mean it's stealing, or that I should care if it is. Also, you could connect your PC to most new TVs via VGA or DVI.

>IT'S JUST NOT DA SAEM

You sound just like the losers on Neo-Geo, Digitpress, and Shumps forums that import arcade PCBs from Japan (most from defunct companies), which cost thousands of dollars, by the way, and then talk shit to the people who use MAME because they weren't autistic enough to sell their left ball to buy Dodonpachi Daioujou and enjoy the "authentic experience".

People are going to use ROMs, and your purist arguments aren't going to change shit. Also, the Wiiware version is emulated, too, so why aren't you playing it on original hardware? I have 100% certainty that BSNES with scanlines is much more authentic and accurate than the Wii port, too.

>> No.492413

>>484443
>It may be but seriously on my computer screen with a shitty PC controller games just aren't the same
To be fair, this is not a real problem, but merely you personally failing at emulation. Most console controllers either have adequate PC equivalents or can be made usable via adapters, and TV output is no big deal either.

>> No.492434

i've tried to play earthbound about five times and never got very far into it before getting bored

it makes me kind of sad, really

>> No.492439

>>492362
>>484443
You two are like opposite extremes on the same spectrum of shitclownery.

>> No.493393

So it was confirmed the VC release is unchanged.

Now it's just a question of time until the overpriced EB bubble bursts.

>> No.493495
File: 326 KB, 850x1217, mother2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>490958
>I just bought a used Wii for $45 and had it hacked and setup with an SDHC card containing VB, NES, Genesis, SNES, GB(A), Beta N64 and beta PSX emulators in under an hour.
I did exactly the same thing a year ago after reading how easy soft modding is. I don't feel bad about pirating games that I've already paid for in physical form, games whose companies don't even exist to profit from these sales anymore in many cases.

Price of a Wii U + Earthbound VC is the same as a physical cart on ebay. Take your pick.

>>492434
The beginning is the hardest/slowest part of the game. Picks up in the next town.

>>493393
>Now it's just a question of time until the overpriced EB bubble bursts.
This is definitely not going to happen. As people have already said, there is very little overlap of people who are willing to pay $350 for a cartridge and people who are willing to pay $5 to play it on the Wii U. If anything, the price will slightly increase due to more exposure.

>> No.493569

>>489480
Just like a rom is a real copy.

>> No.493595

>>492315
>easy accessible
Not to moralfags it's not.