[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 257 KB, 2340x1755, blood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4836873 No.4836873 [Reply] [Original]

Besides Doom and Half-Life, what were the best retro FPS games? Or even just general action games. Never had a PC until I was much older, and these days I realize most of what I played that's retro are just all the usual cRPGs. Nobody ever really recommends general action games and shooters.

I've been playing Blood and it's pretty dope, but I want more.

>> No.4836892

>>4836873
Duke Nukem, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal, Unreal Tournament, Tribes, Tribes 2, Hexen, Heretic(Heretic 2 was something else altogether) and BETTER THAN ANY OF THESE OTHER GAMES, CHEX QUEST

>> No.4836905
File: 509 KB, 400x400, sawed-off.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4836873
My personal must-play are
Blood, DoomI/II, Duke 3D and Powerslave(PS1/Saturn)

>> No.4836912

>>4836873
Outlaws is pretty fun if you like a spaghetti western theme.

>> No.4836935
File: 49 KB, 640x480, TekWar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

TekWAR

>> No.4836998

>>4836873
Blood
Shadow Warrior (get the Classic Redux version from GOG)
Duke Nukem 3D
Quake
Quake II (PC)
Quake II (N64 [technically a different game than the PC version])
Quake III Arena
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament
Heretic
Hexen
Strife
Turok
Turok 2
Turok 3
Turok Rage Wars
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
System Shock
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Redneck Rampage
Redneck Rampage Suckin' Grits On Route 66
Redneck Rampage Rides Again
Rise of the Triad
Soldier of Fortune
Soldier of Fortune II
Aliens versus Predator
Aliens versus Predator 2
Thief Gold
Thief II

The Thief games are TECHNICALLY not FPSes, but they tend to appeal to the 90s FPS crowd, and they're pretty much the best games ever, so you should play those.

Here's a list of like second/third tier stuff that might be worth checking out as well:

PowerSlave
Powerslave EX
Kingpin Life of Crime
Requiem Avenging Angel
SiN Gold

>> No.4837000

>>4836998
>Blood

Make sure you get the "One Unit Whole Blood" version and the "Death Wish" mod.

>> No.4837001

>>4836892
>Tribes, Tribes 2

Are these even really playable without the online component?

>> No.4837038

>>4836873
There are a lot of old favorites around here, but the majority will recommend Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. Start with those two and move onward from there.

>> No.4837085

serious sam is essential

>> No.4837178
File: 150 KB, 1024x1303, Rectoghostdef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Best Retro FPS
Right here

>> No.4837187
File: 169 KB, 320x200, meen.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who /meen/ here

>> No.4837225

At least 60-70% of the games name dropped in this thread aren't worth playing AT ALL. I know this because I grew up in the 90's and good god those games sucked.

OP, get Strife Veteran Edition on Steam.

>> No.4837245
File: 187 KB, 508x454, you__re_doing_it_wrong_by_sintux555-d38x8hg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hexen. I used to prefer Heretic because it's so similar to Doom, but now I see that as its drawback. Why play Heretic when I can just play Doom? Hexen has a unique pace and atmosphere. Love the game.
>>4837225
Seriously? You'd consider 70% of this guys recs >>4836998 shit? Why don't you play an actually bad FPS like Witchaven and then tell me those all suck.

>> No.4837273

>>4837245

>a door has been opened in another realm

>> No.4837363
File: 194 KB, 800x1188, 1294529603641.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm currently playing through Duke Nukem 3D's expansions.

>> No.4837381

>>4836873
Doom 1 (as a default Doom Engine frontend), Duke Nukem 3D (as a default Build Engine frontend), Quake 1 (as a default Quake Engine frontend), treated as modding/usermap platforms (make no mistake though, first do the campaigns - well, you already did for Doom). Doom 2 (with or without g/zdoom, doesn't matter), Marathon Infinity (Aleph One version) and Half-Life 1 too, but they have serious problems with their respective gamedesign, so they don't tend to play as tight. They have a lot of user-created content though.

Anyway about weird one-off games, that are not, so to say, eclipsed by the aforementioned user-made content, I would recommend:
Pathways into Darkness (68k-based Macintosh-es, emulated through BasiliskII). It's an extremely unusual shooter that does, gameplay-wise, a lot of stuff, neither of Doom/Quake level/game-designers was interested in doing (Petersen was the closest one to PiD's angle, and even he was ultimately very far off).
Cybermage (play it on Hard, from keyboard-only, first step is coming up with a more or less convenient keymapping, so do try to think a bit on that).
HeXen 1.
Eradicator (seriously, the quality of mechanics is just astonishing, the game could be a premium modding platform, too bad it fucking flopped).
Alien Breed 3D II: The Killing Grounds (4MB version, WHDLoad-patched) from Amiga seemed extremely atmospheric and refreshingly hardcore, you could give it a look.
Well, Unreal (Gold), yeah. Nice aesthetics, but the game is pretty much botmatch times 10000 (although very thoroughly disguised). Instead of Return to Na Pali addon you would probably be better off playing one of Unreal Beta map/campaign conversions though.
Probably, Shogo. It has fucking problems, and it is a worse game compared to Operative: No One Lives Forever, but it's still worth a look. It's kind of a progenitor of an alternate (as compared to HL1) take on the concept of interactive movie, Monolith was sporting in between of 1998 and 2003.

>> No.4837396

>>4837381
Also, let's just say that Pathways into Darkness is
a) Halo progenitor, as a first (known to me) shooter explicitly built around savepoints and thus sporting the distinctive sandbox-ish take on level-design (stretch between savepoints = arena = puzzle with a more or less single intended solution, which is, at the same time, a specific skill player is meant to learn while searching for said solution) that later became prominent in Halo and FarCry1/Crysis. This is probably its most significant historical contribution, since it serves as progenitor to Halo (made by the same company; Marathon is more like "Hipster version of Doom with Le Story" by comparison). First half of the game shifts gameplay up more like from level to level, the second half - more like from savepoint to savepoint.
b) Has extremely unusual combat centered around extremely tight intertwined corridors in which you have to evade projectiles thrown at you, probably, from more or less every angle. So, in order to evade you have to ACTUALLY REMEMBER, at every single moment, what's, now, situated to the left of you, to the right of you, to the behind, left-behind, right-behind of you, like, to map your surroundings in your mind and to constantly update that map so that to start evading the enemy attack immediately without looking where you are going AND without strafing into a wall during the process. The closest analogue to that is probably Doom3 - and even it is not as claustrophobic and autistic about its combat. Moreover, the mechanics, in my opinion, aged EXTREMELY well, and this game had a potential to be a very good modding platform (there are no mods to it though).
c) It has some dungeoncrawl-y Ultima-Underworld-lite bits to it. Like, inventory, resting and general passage of time, puzzles, hypertext-y conversations (with the deadmen, no less). It's pretty well-written too.

>> No.4837403

>>4836873
Sin, Shadow Warrior

>> No.4837410

>>4837396
d) It has weird sounddesign (consisting primarily of extremely unnerving silence, punctuated pretty much only by stock sounds of monsters attacking and your shooting back or doing something else) and even more weird leveldesign (levels are made of repeating, again and again, blocks that are meant to teach you to evade-without-looking or to attack - bullets make more damage when you hit up close, and you are made to converse ammo - in a very specific way, that is subsequently built upon later over the course of the game).
e) And the last one. It wasn't influenced by Doom 1 (it WAS influenced by Ultima Underworld and Wolfenstein3D, but it brings sufficient amount of novelty to the table, when compared to these two), so it is an honest-to-god alternate take on the FPS genre, that ALSO somehow manages to be ALMOST as playable a game, even nowadays, as vanilla Doom 1 is - and more varied gameplay-wise than Doom1/UV/pistolstart is too, despite all the Petersen's mindfuckery.

>> No.4837421

>>4837381
>Eradicator (seriously, the quality of mechanics is just astonishing, the game could be a premium modding platform, too bad it fucking flopped)

This looks interesting.

>> No.4837427

>>4836873
>Or even just general action games.

That's so broad of a category that I'm not even sure where to start. Literally ANY subgenre is OK?

>> No.4837435

>>4837421
It's extremely monotonous in the envorinmental design though. Seriously, from a certain point the levels just start to blur into, like, a continuous monotonous smudge, they are so same-looking. Extremely ambient-sy soundtrack is not helping either.
Also, there are jumping puzzles (although the game lets you go into third-person mode, so that you aren't stuck with first-person platforming), especially frequent in the second half of the game, so going with the fastest character (the, basically, catwoman, Eelena or something like that) is strongly advised.

>> No.4837436

>>4837381
Also, vanilla campaigns of Doom1, Doom2 and, at least, Duke3D (and some other Build games as well) games are meant to be played from the pistolstart, as the maps in those games were playtested from that mode (so, it's basically a testmode). So, you complete the level, you let yourself get killed or suicide with explosives, you start afresh with basic weaponry only, you save, you proceed with the level.

>> No.4837881

>>4837436
I am aware of this and even though it's somewhat shitty, there's no way I'm letting go of my weapons after picking them up. I hated the wads like scythe/scythe2 that killed you with explosives after several levels, like just after finding something useful like a plasmagun or backpack. I prefer to play them as a continuous "journey" through various interconnected maps.

>> No.4837890

>>4837436
This is just autism. Play the game normally lmao.

Inb4
>you have to play at 240p else you see the enemies more clearly and get an unfair advantage
>you have to play on kb only else your aim is too good and ruins the difficulty
>etc etc

>> No.4837973

>>4837001
Oh dude, there are still servers and people playing in em.

>> No.4838249

>>4837273
People always meme about how confusing Hexen is but it's just that, a meme. You have to be a brainlet expecting Doom-style gameplay to consider Hexen too confusing.

>> No.4838251

>>4837436
No. The levels were balanced for pistol start for 2 reasons:
1. They couldn't play through the whole game just to play test the one level, they had to play them individually
2. The player has to pistol start if they died without having saved, so levels had to be completable that way
The Doom manual explicitly encourages saving to avoid having to pistol start. It was a punishment in vanilla and an optional challenge today, not "the way the game was meant to be played".

>> No.4838275

Wolfenstein is the magnum opus FPS

>> No.4838283

>>4838249
Hexen is not as immediate as Doom, but it is one of the best games even made. The only issue I have with it is that it's not compatible with the Run For It! mod.

>> No.4838302

shogo is underrated as hell

>> No.4838307

>>4837225
strife sucks grandpa just play a real rpg or a real shooter

>> No.4838310

>>4838302
the on-foot missions were brutally difficult without cheesing though

>> No.4838414

>>4838251
Sure. And that's exactly why, say, Fortress of Mystery or Dis make no fucking sense when not pistolstarted.

I mean, when you pistolstart the Spiderdemon, what do you have? You trigger it and the leser monsters. You get into the central chamber, then out. You infight Spider with the monsters.You use that very time Spiderdemon takes in order to down two Barons and a couple of lesser monsters in order to gather all the rockets from the outer rim (which has quite a complex form and thus takes quite a bit of time in order to make a full circle, and is perfectly shootable from the majority of the arena space, making you a perfect target for Spider if it's not busy with anything else - meaning Barons). You gather all the rockets, you get down to the columns of the central chamber, you use them as cover while rocketing Spider's legs.

It's a well thought out competently made bossfight. It makes sense.

Non-pistolstart? Pffft, you run towards the fucker, you BFG it twice. There.

Now tell me, which way it was apparently meant to be completed.

>> No.4838442

>>4838251
I mean, first and foremost, what you lose when not pistolstarting is almost the ENTIRETY of Petersen's mindfuckery. The point just - FWOOOOSH - flies happily way above your head, merrily disappearing into the big blue nowhere.

Well, at least, his Quake episode WAS meant to be played back-to-back, continuously, without resetting your progress between the levels.

>> No.4838452

>>4838442
>Well, at least, his Quake episode WAS meant
Except maybe for shotgunstarting E4M2 (thus disregarding supplies gathered at Willits' E4M1).

>> No.4838509

>>4836998
>Redneck Rampage
>Redneck Rampage Suckin' Grits On Route 66
>Redneck Rampage Rides Again
is this a meme or are these legit good?

>> No.4838512

I always thought of pistol starts being like losing your weapon and power-ups when you die in other 2D arcade shoot-em-ups like Contra or those scrolling spaceship shooters. Obviously it makes more sense to just save/load, but I don't think that was a popular gaming habit back then except for if you wanted to quit your game without losing progress. Most games back then didn't even let you save, even a password system felt forgiving. I think that's why Doom's game manual even has a tip to try saving your game at the start of each level, because it isn't something that casual gamers would have even thought to try back then.

>> No.4838518

>>4838512
>casual gamers
no such thing as "casual" or "hardcore" gamers back then. That terminology was introduced in the 7th gen.

and we knew how to save ffs lol, there was nothing "hardcore" about it. I was 8 years old the first time I played Doom, you retarded gen z shitheads.

>> No.4838531

>>4838509
Redneck Rampage is Fucking Great with art-direction (provided you aren't sick and tired of ACTUAL IRL rednecks) and more like experimental/unconventional with its level-design. I mean, if you enjoy Petersen's stuff from Doom1-2/Quake, Plug-n-Pray from PS1's Duke Nukem 3D or Seven Portals from HeXen1, chances are, you'll generally like original RR1's levels. They are uneven and there even are altogether shit levels, but the do have that experimental vibe to them, and they do consistently try to surprise you and catch you offguard.
Weapong also take serious getting used to. Also, the whole thing, all aspects of it, has this obviously intentional scrappy, holding-on-a-ducttape feel to it.
Long story short, it's a love it or hate it kind of game, but try at least get to Downtown Hickston before passing any final judgmenets if you decide to mingle with this game at all.
Also, do NOT use Cuss Pack.

Rides Again. Well, it's significantly blander and more running on fumes with its artdirection (not surprising considering pretty much all the significant angles were covered by the first game), and the team of mappers was completely different from the first game. So, now the levels are big, clean-looking, very streamlined, and lack the experimental feel of the first game's levels almost entirely. Overall, I only played through the first episode, and I didn't feel any urge to continue with the thing. It's more conventionally entertaining, but it's just way more bland from my standpoint overall.

So, that's my take on it.

Haven't played Route66.

>> No.4838564

>>4838531
What's wrong with the cuss pack?

>> No.4838575

>>4838564
Way fewer lines than in the original voice pack. And the lines that are there, are way too long and way too blunt.

>> No.4839139

How did Shadow Warrior manage to suck so much in comparison to Duke 3D? Some of the level design is downright awful, so many enemies are a complete pain in the ass, and the humor is so fucking unfunny. Blood is so much better and a way better follow up.

>> No.4839278

>>4839139
Can't fucking stand Blood. Every single aspect of that game has this unique and completely unprecedented way of getting on my nerves.

>> No.4839438

>>4836998
>Rise of the Triad

How this isn't mentioned more in this thread is beyond me.

>> No.4839442

>>4837381
>Probably, Shogo. It has fucking problems, and it is a worse game compared to Operative: No One Lives Forever, but it's still worth a look. It's kind of a progenitor of an alternate (as compared to HL1) take on the concept of interactive movie

I got shogo as a freebie with a graphics card. It turned out to be something special.

MAGIC CLAW

>> No.4839446

>>4839139
The shotgun sucks.

>> No.4839505

>>4838509
+MUSIC (LEGIT ONE OF THE BEST SOUNDTRACKS EVER)
+humor
+personality (as is expected from a Build Engine game)
+real world style level design
+unique theme
+some fun weapons
+legitimately above average gameplay

-sewer level (use the fucking level skip cheat on this, trust me, it's not even worth attempting, it's one of the most confusing maze levels in FPS history)
-arsenal nowhere near as big as the Build Trinity games
-mundane setting (and this isn't even a bad thing unless you're the type that needs every fucking game to have sci-fi or fantasy settings or whatever)

>>4838531
Keep in mind that most people prefer Rides Again over the original.

>>4838564
LESS speech, for some reason. They basically took out some of the lines and just replaced them with "FUCK" and the like. What makes it even stupider is there was already some degree of cursing in the original game ("shit" is used repeatedly).

>> No.4839507

>>4838564
>>4838509
Get the Redneck Rampage Collection from GOG if you're interested in playing them. You can setup the configuration files to make them run in full screen in the correct dimensions with black borders on the sides. These will include all the music and everything.

There's also a hunting game spin-off that's not included with the Collection, and is actually not BAD, but whether you want to even bother going to the trouble of pirating it (because there's no way to buy it nowadays that I'm aware of) and playing it in DOSBox is up to you.

>> No.4839683

Do we know who were the leveldesigners in RR and in RRRA?

>> No.4839693

>>4839683
RR: Mal Blackwell (has two Doom1 maps: "eden" and "redrum", could be found at idgames, also has some deathmatch levels), Sverre Kvernmo (Cabal series and some of the Master Levels for Doom2).
RRRA: Rhett Baldwin (fuck knows), Aaron Barber (has two duke maps: "hexhouse" and "darkgate", could be found in classic dukeworld archives - as well as some dukematch maps).

>> No.4839698

>>4839683
As to who designed what, at least the original RR's maps don't have any apparent visual signatures on them.

>> No.4839725

>>4839693
Mal Blackwell = Mblackwell from duke4.net?

Do you have a map to map breakdown?

>> No.4839797

>>4839725
Could be a coincidence.

Also, no, I don't have a map to map breakdown. I tried opening the map files in mapster32, and I didn't see any apparent visual signatures akin to those:
http://infosuite.duke4.net/index.php?page=signatures
there.

>> No.4839802
File: 50 KB, 442x442, descent2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So obscure, nobody on even /vr/ ever talks about it. Freaking Marathon gets mentioned more often.

>> No.4839963

>>4839693
By the way, I just played eden/redrum, and, I think, among the two original RR mappers, Blackwell is BY FAR the more interesting one. I think he is very well the reason I liked some of RR's layouts in the first place, since none of Kvernmo's pretentious sperg/edgelordia in what I've seen from his Cabal/Master levels really all that impressed me.

Eden is basically a prequel that will put you in the correct mindset, Redrum is the main piece. What makes it highly interesting, is that neither is either a work of art or an attempt to create a work of art (as in Kvernmo's case). What I would rather call them (Redrum mainly) is a piece of internally consistent philosophical ruminations on fatalism. In other words, his levels are not about mapping style or aesthetics, they are about expressing a consistent worldview. They have a point and Redrum in particular is very effective about expressing it. Neither of those two levels plays all that good, mind you (you'll see why if you try to tackle them) but them playing not that good is a part of how they make their point.

It's a fucking pity he doesn't have any more signed levels I know of. Although his "handwriting", come to think of it, can be glimpsed in Doom3 quite a bit.

And no, I don't know who made the fucking Sewer level.

>> No.4840103

>>4839693
>Barber/hexhouse/darkgate
Very entertaining "No time to explain! Just play along! And try not to think too hard about it, please-please-please!" hot mess. Works purely because how much variety is crammed over there. You are pretty much coerced to run just whenever you glance without ever stopping (or even slowing down to walking speed) or looking around. Expensive vistas, cool scripted scenes, basically "anything goes" done right. Absolutely mindless timesink though. But a very cool one. What I've seen of similar moments in Rides Again can't compete in terms of density of new unexpected stuff it throws at you, hence the whole thing falls apart since it really, REALLY depends upon doing loads of completely different things in VERY QUICK succession).

>> No.4840113

>>4840103
Not to mention that the fidgety style of play matching this style of mapping is pretty fucking tiring.

>> No.4840294

>>4839802
The Descent series is actually pretty well regarded.

>> No.4840302

>>4837178
Not /vr/, though. Or really an FPS.

>> No.4840462

>>4837225
>OP, get Strife Veteran Edition on Steam.

This. Very underrated game.

>> No.4840720

What's on sale on GOG right now that's worth getting?

Doom 3, or buying Doom 1 and 2 separately?

>> No.4840741

>>4839802
never knew this had a sequel kek

>> No.4840981

>>4840103
Darkgate and Hexhouse are terribad levels. Ugly, nonsense textures, sky not parallaxed, horrible oversizing, no proper shading. They are weak even for 1996 usermaps.

>> No.4841101

>>4840720
Doom 1 and 2 are best pirated to play in GZDoom.

>> No.4841315

>>4840981
Treat them as speedmaps and just run through them without stopping. They make way more sense that way.
Also, in terms purely of visual and layout variety crammed into a single level, lolno, they are not weak, that's some pretty vivid imagination right there. And, at least, for me both felt like legit IndyJones-ian adventures.
Anyway, that's one of RRRA leveldesigners for you.

Also, the house itself, in Hexhouse (which is the first map, Darkgate is the second one) was quite obviously INTENTIONALLY oversized.

>> No.4841318
File: 55 KB, 640x480, 26_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4836873
Star Wars: Dark Forces 1 and 2

>> No.4841457

>>4840741
it had two

>> No.4841465

>>4837381
Monolith wanted multiple ways of completing objectives, moral\faction choices and even elements of stealth in Shogo. Guess how that turned out. As a result Shogo was a janky mess for no good reason with things like AI that would have logical reactions to combat based on programmed factors like field experience sticking out like a sore thumb in the source code. Still fun though.

>> No.4842423
File: 94 KB, 1024x768, Doom issue.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is kinda related but can anyone help me with this issue? I'll post my computer specs in the reply

>> No.4842424
File: 213 KB, 1024x768, specs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4842423

>> No.4843007

>>4842423
>>4842424
Install the latest drivers for your 'video card', if you want to call it that. You must be using some retard built-in Windows driver or something, it's a wonder you can even render your fuck ugly bloated desktop environment without the proper drivers.

>> No.4843615
File: 171 KB, 1200x675, DXIs8VMXUAACjr2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it heretical to suggest the upcoming Ion Maiden? Given it really is a Build engine game I like to think it qualifies.

>> No.4843771

Why we have multiple Build threads again?

>> No.4843780

Terminator Skynet

>> No.4843802

>>4843771
Because ther multipel Build games, yes-yes!

>> No.4844408
File: 65 KB, 451x604, 1519452811885.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4836873
I maintain that Duke 3D is still the best Build game, the level design is excellent with each level logically following on from the previous one, the enemy design feels varied enough to consistently provide a challenge without feeling un-fun, Duke has a fun personality and the weapons are great (with a possible exception to the freeze thrower). Duke 3D also has a bunch of well designed expansions, with Life's a Beach alone being better than any of the other Build expansion I'm aware of.

Blood is good, but feels like it needed another couple months to tighten the bolts on it with stuff like the crouching bugging out a fair few of the enemie's AI, the fire sometimes being a death sentence even at 100 health and 100 fire armour thing, and even just to generally make the levels a little more fun and cohesive, the final level pack especially feels really incoherent as you just go to random places from random places, Blood is one of the few games I'd actually recommend fan-made level packs for with Death Wish. The enemy design is engaging to fight but again some enemies just feel unfinished where they spaz around in the air for 90% of the time or just can't hurt you if you crouch, and the weapons are cool but I never really felt like the voodoo doll, tesla rifle or life-leech felt satisfying to use. The Plasma Pak expansion is kind of lame with a bunch of incoherent levels, but Cryptic Passage is alright.

I've never really liked Shadow Warrior, I try to give it another chance every few months (and will again in future) but it really just is not fun to me, all the levels are ugly and boring, the weapons are lame, the enemy design is just uninteresting.

I do think that Ion Maiden is shaping up to be a really solid Build game, and if it's as consistently good as the preview (and adds some more weapons/enemies) it'll probably end up as my second favourite Build game.

Also, I'd just like to say that if you haven't played Outlaws then you probably should.

>> No.4844443

Not already mentioned:

Hidden & Dangerous (tactical squad based shooter)
Ken's Labyrinth (earlier game from the Build engine developer)
Nitemare 3D

The last two may be an acquired taste.

>> No.4844750

>>4836998

Turok is shit.

>> No.4844776

>>4844408
Some Shadow Warrior levels like Floating Fortress are pretty good, the quality is just uneven. The first 6 or so levels in Code of Honor are terrible key wankery in bland rural areas. And no SWTREK cheat in Redux to start in Bath House, where levels are starting to look like decent.

>> No.4844781
File: 46 KB, 595x676, NO FUCK U.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4844750

>> No.4844874

>>4844776
Of the levels you mentioned, Level5 is Keith Schuler's (he is the author of Bath House), then there is a batch of like 5 Stephen Cole's levels (he also made Level2, with warehouses and UZI printing press), and the Sumoshit (and the secret shipwreck level before it) is by George Broussard and, I think, Randy Pitchford.

I am guessing you are not that hot on Cole's mapping style.

>> No.4845645

>>4837085
Hands down one of the most enjoyable

>> No.4845672

>>4844874
Neither Broussard/Pitchlord, nor that Cole guy impressed me. The sumoshit and shipwreck are annoying WTF maps, the other is just making “let’s make a bland random level with 4 keys and collect the paycheck”. The first map is ok with the boss, it’s actually a nice idea and the design seemed a bit cleaner despite I’m not a fan of this rural style.

Even after Bath House some maps were random, like the oil refinery one or the prison. Water Torture is good, but I’ve always wondered if I’m playing Shadow Warrior or just a converted map from Duke 3D.

>> No.4845769

>>4845672
Refinery, subpen, coolie mines and prison (they are 4 consecutive levels) are mainly Eric Reuter's creations later polished by Schuler.

Also, airport level and the Floating Fortress were made mainly by the game's director (forgot the surname) and later polished by either Cole or Schuler.

Oh, and Water Torture is purely Schuler's.

>> No.4845786

>>4845769
Other than those already mentioned (level5, Bath House and Water Torture), two other purely Schuler's were level3, Master Leep's Temple and the second secret level, Auto Maul.

He was easily the best SW's mapper. Problem was, that he worked on the game for less than a year (his first shooter map ever was actually Critical Mass / E4M8 from Duke's PlutoniumPak/Birth episode). Problem ALSO was, instead of working on his own stuff he apparently spent quite a bit of time polishing someone else's turds.

>> No.4845816

>>4839802
Which was the best Descent game?

>> No.4845839

>>4845769
The ones I found enjoyable were Bath house, Coolie mines, Floating fortress, Water torture. Schuler was involved in all of them as I saw.

>> No.4845842 [DELETED] 

It's really gay how you dweebs keep talking about who made what maps and their "philosophies" behind it and what not. Kys.

>> No.4846216

>>4845842
Um, sweetie, you sound soooo manly when you talk like that.

>> No.4846226

>>4845842
why does discussing video games upset you so much? why are you on a video game discussion forum if a place filled with "dweebs" causes you to lash out like this? seems unhealthy.

>> No.4846238

>>4842423
>literally tells you the problem
>LOL WUT DO GUYZ?!

>> No.4846240

tyrian 2000 was a good shootemup

>> No.4846242

raptor was another good shooter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grXkzisSEM4

>> No.4846247
File: 154 KB, 1280x800, c0f459093e304536a605ede6f665fe68.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

terminal fucking velocity

>> No.4846249

Reminds me how I've been wanting to play Sin but I can't get it going smoothly on Win 10.

>> No.4846258
File: 192 KB, 1280x800, Terra-Nova.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

terra nova. you got to be master chief in the 90's

>> No.4846306

>>4846216
The guy feels like the retarded weak kid in the school you loved kicking around.

>> No.4846317

>>4846258
Fucking love that game.
>full squad you can customize before missions and give tons of orders too
>squadmates can actually kickass
>huge as hell levels for the time with plenty of terrain and hills
>could actually set up things like auto turrets and use Camera drones to scout ahead with the extra window in your HUD being used as a feed, able to even switch with your main screen for a better look

Someday I hope for a game that can capture that feeling again. Or just a plain remake.

>> No.4846380

>>4846317

yeah this game was ahead of the times. I still remember installing the demo off a pcgamer disc and being blown away.

>> No.4846690

>>4844408
>The Plasma Pak expansion is kind of lame with a bunch of incoherent levels, but Cryptic Passage is alright
Plasma Pak may be "incoherent" plot-wise but the levels themselves are much better designed. Cryptic Passage has too many linear levels where you just move forward and grab keys.
Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck if there's a coherent story being told in an FPS? The most important things by far are the level design and gunplay.

>> No.4846781

>>4846690
>Am I the only one who doesn't give a fuck if there's a coherent story being told in an FPS? The most important things by far are the level design and gunplay.
No you're not. Story is for faggots.

>> No.4846903

>>4838414
Having a shit ton of weapons, not you artificially making shit up to justify 'playing the game REALLY like it was' because if that was the case, they'd just strip the guns from you at the start of every level.

>> No.4846905

>>4838518
This. Kids today making shit up is hilarious. We loved saves back then. I remember people complaining (and I certainly thought so) that save points would make all kinds of games better. Checkpoint saves, etc were a step backwards.

>> No.4846907

>>4846258
Loved this game. It's the closest thing to a Heinlein-esque power armour game out there.

>> No.4846925

>>4846907
>Heinlein-esque power armour

wat

>> No.4846968

>>4843615
Interested inthis but i cant justify the price.

>> No.4848062

>>4838518
this is right
>>4838512
this is totally made up, i'd love to see even one fake source for this

>> No.4848081

>>4836935
This was funny game with lot of secrets in the maps but damn do i hate fat William Shatner...

>> No.4848134

>>4838512
>Most games back then didn't even let you save, even a password system felt forgiving. I think that's why Doom's game manual even has a tip to try saving your game at the start of each level, because it isn't something that casual gamers would have even thought to try back then.
It makes me think, if people make shit up completely about things so recent and other idiots repeat it as truth, how much can we really know about something that happened 2000 years ago, probably nothing

>> No.4848348

>>4836873
Does system Shock count? It was more of a first person adventure game though

>> No.4848538 [DELETED] 

Halo 3
CoD MW
Gears of war
Rainbow 6 vegas
ghost recon advanced warfighter

>> No.4848897

>>4838512
Manuals tell you pretty everything basic you need to know, regardless of how obvious it is. Like "use the left arrow key to move left". The fact that the manual suggested saving is no indication that the concept of quicksaving was novel at the time.

>> No.4850626

>>4839963
Kvernmo: Player is being punished for stealing (supplies). Mapper's plagiatrism is framed as stealing (of intellectual property) as well. These brings to the forefront the themes of conscience, sin and redemption, etc. (all of that - in the context of stealing), but I currently don't give enough shits in order to continue this venue of thought.

>> No.4850703

There's also
Alien Trilogy
Blake Stone; Aliens of gold
Blake Stone; Planet Strike
Heavy gear
Heavy gear 2
Mech warrior
Zone of Artificial Resources

>> No.4850969

Just bought DOOM on GOG. Are there any tweaks I should know of that will make the graphics or audio more authentic? I don't care for HD mods or whatever, I just want the original experience. Except for the mouse movement, fuck that.

>> No.4850983

>>4850969
Chocolate Doom

>> No.4850986
File: 61 KB, 221x201, q.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4836892
>chex quest
patrician taste

>> No.4851007

>>4850969
If you bought it on GOG, it's probably the original exe plus an MS-DOS emulator. That's as authentic as you can get. Like the other anon said, download Chocolate Doom, it's basically the original exe but it runs on modern computers and has some standard quality of life improvements.

>> No.4851009

>>4850983
>>4851007
Thank you lads. Looking forward to it.

>> No.4851035

>>4836873
> best retro FPS games
Dungeons of Kremlin™
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVCEgZYZSic

Especially the 3 minute swimming at 10 minute mark.

>> No.4851039 [DELETED] 

>>4851007
chocolate doom makes me so hungry lmao :P

man what I wouldnt give for like a chocolate shake right now oh baby maybe vanilla too yeah mmmmmm!!! xDDDD