[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 66 KB, 620x420, FFVII.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4818276 No.4818276 [Reply] [Original]

Which one is your favorite game?
JRPG or CRPG?
Fan translated SFC JRPGs were the games I played the most as a teenager (so, for me, the 00's decade), with stuff like when SMTI and II were first translated. I barely play these anymore, though.
(Sorry if this seems like a blogpost, last time I made the thread it got deleted, probably because it was lacking)

>> No.4818284

>>4818276
>probably because it was lacking
or because the board was spammed with low effort threads with FFVII pics in the OP by one autist

>> No.4818286

>>4818284
I used this pic because it grabs the most attention, it's the most popular of these. Sorry if this was confused with shitposting.

>> No.4818290
File: 30 KB, 480x360, IMG_7372.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>favorite games
Suikoden II, Final Fantasy Tactics. These two are the bar by which I judge all other RPGs. Of course there are tons more that I love, pretty much everything on PSX was fantastic
>JRPG or CRPG
JRPG by a country mile
>fan-translated SFC RPG
My favorite is probably Rudra no Hihou. It took a bit for me to get into the game but man, those later bosses were insane. Also the music and the setting

>> No.4818302

>>4818290
Played that one in 2010, one of the last while I was still playing mostly these. I didn't like it that much, it seems way too stretched and exploitable, even for the genre.

>> No.4818516

I'm not a HUGE fan of RPGs, but I still like to replay those light-hearted ones that take me back to my childhood.

Stuff like Lunar, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia...all good.

>> No.4818540

>>4818276
>Which one is your favorite game?
SaGa Frontier
>JRPG or CRPG?
J, though I do like a couple series especially Might and Magic
>Fan translated SFC JRPGs
FF5, GBA patched is fine too though

>> No.4818542

>>4818276
Planescape Torment, followed by Fallout 1.

>> No.4818549

>>4818542
Hi, RPGCodex

>> No.4818679

overall? morrowind
prior to 2000? betrayal at krondor
>JRPG or CRPG
there must be some genetic flaw that bars me from enjoying JRPGs

>> No.4819647

If i hated Breath of Fire 1/2 and loved Dragon Quarted, will i like BoF 3/4?

I seriously consider DQ one of the best JRPGs ever, and BoF 1/2 some of the dullest ones.

>> No.4819745

>>4819647
III and IV are better than I and II but you wouldn't like them

>> No.4819781

>>4818516
>Lunar, Grandia
>GameArts fan

Ah finally a man of superior taste appears!

>> No.4819808 [DELETED] 

>>4819647
BoF2 has the best story, characters and music in a SNES RPG, you are retarded. It also has the best looking sprites of a SNES RPG.

>> No.4819812 [DELETED] 

>>4819808
Addendum: it doesn't feast on an anime's popularity, nor does it have most cliched, uninspired cast of fucking dolls.

>> No.4819816

>>4819808
>the best looking sprites of a SNES RPG.
Debatable, Treasure of the Rudras, FFVI and Bahamut Lagoon exist

>> No.4819817 [DELETED] 

>>4819816
>>FF6
Just stop

>> No.4819821

>>4818286
Don't be sorry, people here are ultra mega dumb.

>> No.4819825

>>4818276
Can't decide between FFVII, Ys 1 and Chrono Cross.

>> No.4819836
File: 2.18 MB, 1350x8450, RETRO_JRPG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4819853

>>4819816
Can you VIfags just fuck off already? You're honestly even more annoying than the VII kiddies at this point.

>> No.4819864

>>4819817
>>4819853
I don't even like FFVI that much as a whole, but it does undeniably have amazing spritework. Stop being kneejerk contrarians

>> No.4819872

>>4819864
It's not even close to the best looking sprites on the SNES, Chrono Trigger blows it out of the water in that regard.

>> No.4819874

>>4819872
Maybe overworld sprites. FFVI and Bahamut Lagoon have the best looking battlers, even if they are static.

>> No.4819878 [DELETED] 
File: 669 KB, 1380x1746, gba cover 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4819864
>it does undeniably have amazing spritework
No one argues that. The fact is, BoF2 is better. Twice the dimensions for both PCs and the enemy, and animated.

Square can't hold a candle again Capcom's art.

>> No.4819882

>>4819874
As long as we don't count the player characters then sure.

>> No.4819883 [DELETED] 
File: 98 KB, 750x370, gba portraits 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4819878
*against

>> No.4819884
File: 29 KB, 484x418, Dart Feld.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My personal favorite is Legend of Dragoon

>> No.4819926

>>4818276
>JRPG or CRPG?
I tend to prefer JRPGs in terms of visuals and music but dislike their gameplay in most cases, I appreciate what CRPGs try to achieve in terms of gameplay and player choice a bit more although the final execution tends to be very disappointing since it will always lack the real appeal of a tabletop rpg. I dislike most rpgs at the end of the day though so I can't really name a favorite but they're still interesting to discuss.

>> No.4819935

>>4819884
I'm downloading it today, anon. This better be good

>> No.4819936

>>4819874
Bahamut Lagoon, maybe, but no, Romancing SaGa 3 has better sprites and animations than FFVI does. CT does too.

>> No.4819945

>>4819936
The battlers in Bahamut Lagoon and FFVI were literally made by the same artist. Although you're right about RS3, now there's a beautiful game

>> No.4819969

So RPG players are the graphicsfags of the retro community, no wonder there are so many.
Still, interesting to see graphicsfags for outdated technology.

>> No.4819970

I'm revisiting the ps1 library and playing most "important" titles in the system. From a gameplay standpoint, which are the best jrpgs in the system?

>> No.4819981

>>4818276
>baldurs gate
>crpg
Jrpgs are ok but i get bored of them. Its like, theyre all the same. But i guess you could say the same about crpgs. But i just like the art design of w/crpgs better

>> No.4819986

>>4819970
>From a gameplay standpoint, which are the best jrpgs
None, ever. Maybe the "least bad"

>> No.4819989

>>4819970
See
>>4819836
Pretty based list imo. Its got everything i was recommended after years of gathering

>> No.4819990

>>4819989
Oh nice, which one of those would you consider your favorite gameplay wise?

>> No.4820015

>>4819990
Cant go wrong with Suikoden

>> No.4820037

>>4819935
Good but easy. Story is fun but easy to laugh at. Some people complain about timing the attacks but with all the random battles you should be able to master it soon enough.

Protip: power leveling makes the game extremely easy.

>> No.4820046

>>4819808
> music
Yeah, i sure did love listening to this music for +10 hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDKM2hOVr1M

>story
Better than Dragon Quest 5/6, CT, FFVI, Mother 2, SMT2, Terranigma, really?

>characters
there is 0 chemistry between the characters. They do not interact / talk to each other (except with Ryu, who is silent), and they remain silent 99% of the time, except when the plot requires them to speak. You are absolute insane to think BoF II has a better cast than FF VI.

>best looking sprites
No, that's FF VI.

And my biggest problem with BoF II isn't any of that but its gameplay.

>> No.4820049

I just bought an original FF7 for ps1.
I havent played it in 10 years. Anything i should do to make it an enjoyable second playthrough?

>> No.4820050

>>4820049
put the battle speed on max and set the mode on active
don't read guides

>> No.4820054

>>4820050
I did pretty well back in the day without guides.
I never managed to actual finish the game.
Got stuck on the final battle against Sephy.

>> No.4820819 [DELETED] 
File: 1.97 MB, 456x322, promotional video 2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4820046
>>best looking sprites
>No, that's FF VI.
Just fucking retarded. There're even mods putting BoF2 sprites into FF6. As, I've already said BoF2 aesthetically and technically looking better than FF6.

>music
Again, cherrypicked piece.

>You are absolute insane to think BoF II has a better cast than FF VI.
Because it is. PCs say unique lines at your own city each step you advance through the story and all of them has their spotlight in the story. They are also not boring humans and plot devices.

>except with Ryu, who is silent
He's silent, but he's a developed character with him, father, mother and sister being separated by the accident. He also learns truth about who he really is, who his family really is later in the game. He's also burdened with some heavy choices.

>insane
I am not even gonna waste time quoting you like you did my post. Basically, everything you bothered to write is plain wrong. If you actually came there to enjoy the game and not bitch and seek validation for yourself, you'd understand that.

Also, BoF2 is fairly popular, more popular than Dragon Quest 5/6 (in the West), Mother 2 (in the West), SMT2 and Terranigma, so I am not the only one thinking that, don't let that delude you.

>> No.4820872 [DELETED] 

>>4820046
>>there is 0 chemistry between the characters. They do not interact / talk to each other (except with Ryu, who is silent), and they remain silent 99% of the time, except when the plot requires them to speak
>They do not interact / talk to each other
This is some next-level stupidity, have you played the game farther than the main menu?
>they remain silent 99% of the time, except when the plot requires them to speak
So every RPG ever? I am stroked you didn't complain about characters not in current party not speaking.

>> No.4821059

>>4820872
>Just fucking retarded. There're even mods putting BoF2 sprites into FF6. As, I've already said BoF2 aesthetically and technically looking better than FF6.

Wow, fan mods are putting sprites from one game to another with totally different aesthetic. I am sure these people have great taste.

>gain, cherrypicked piece.
One of the most played music in the game for sure isin't cherrypicking. I don't think the BoF2 OST is bad, but better than CT's? No way. You are the only person in the world that think that.

>Because it is. PCs say unique lines at your own city each step you advance through the story and all of them has their spotlight in the story.

Yeah, i remember those boring one-liner dialogues in the village and those rare moments in the story (that felt like filler because the game has no understanding of pacing whatsoever) when the characters actually took part in the story.

>They are also not boring humans and plot devices.

Oh, so you are a furry. Gotcha.

>He's silent, but he's a developed character

Do you know how to read? I didn't complain about Ryu himself but the fact that the only interesting dynamic between the characters are with him, who is silent. CT you have Magus/Frog and Lucca/Robot, FF6 you have Locke/Celes, Edgar/Sabin, Strago/Relm etc. The party feels more alive because of that.

> If you actually came there to enjoy the game and not bitch and seek validation for yourself, you'd understand that.

WTF are you talking about?

>Also, BoF2 is fairly popular, more popular than Dragon Quest 5/6 (in the West), Mother 2 (in the West), SMT2 and Terranigma, so I am not the only one thinking that, don't let that delude you.

Wait, do you think BoF2, with that garbage original translation, is more beloved than Mother 2? Really? And i am the deluded one? And wow, a localized game is more popular than the non-localized ones in the west. For sure this means BoF2 is better than them.

>4820872
>So every RPG ever?
Play better ones.

>> No.4821068

>>4821059
Sorry, was answering this retard instead. >>4820819

>> No.4821085

I'm currently gong on an RPG Gauntlet, where I play every day until I get burnt out on 'em. So far I've completed Dragon Quest I & II, Breath of Fire, and I'm currently playing Super Mario RPG.

After SMRPG, I plan on playing Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, and Battle for Wesnoth. Down the line, if I don't get bored with everything else, I'll probably play Suikoden I and II, and the rest of the BoF games.

I'm open to any recommendations. How far do y'all think I'll make it?

>> No.4821181 [DELETED] 

>>4821068
Can you prove me wrong, or are you just going to repeat the same thing over and over again like the retarded ape you are? You didn't prove anything, just shat out whatever constitutes your terrible character. Everything about your posts screams of a clueless, ignorant being unable to form a decent, substantiated opinion on a matter.

>Wow, fan mods are putting
Yes they do. Because the sprites in BoF2 look so goddamn good, even FF6 fans like them. Again, homie, BoF2 PC's sprites are 4x as large and better animated, and enemies'... final boss takes half the screen and animated (idle and attack).

>One of the most played music in the game for sure
It's a dungeon music, if you spent your whole time there, it's your problem. Overworld themes in BoF2 are god-tier, and there's a fuckton of things to solve outside of the dungeon. CT will never have the best music just by means of it being CT. Also, fans of other games prefer their music, they just don't want to waste their time arguing with ad populum people like you.

>Yeah, i remember those boring one-liner dialogues in the village and those rare moments in the story (that felt like filler
See? Subjective vomit.

>Do you know how to read? I didn't complain about Ryu himself
Sure you didn't.

>> No.4821183 [DELETED] 

>>4821068
>CT you have Magus/Frog and Lucca/Robot, FF6 you have Locke/Celes, Edgar/Sabin, Strago/Relm etc.
How much of a dialogue does those have? I barely remember anything Magus-Frog after their 2 plot sequences (they weren't even party members by 1st, and you had only Frog by 2nd), and I haven't even finished FF6. You are making it sound when you take 3 retards into party in CT and a plot event comes on, they are epicly conversating and interacting pieces of shit having a unique phrase on everything, while in reality PCs throw generic responses to things, like Ayla her "Ouga Bouga" and "Ayla strong not lose". You also making it sound that Frog and Magus interact between each other when in the party. Heads blown out, during the whole Frog-his master sidequest Magus doesn't say a word to Frog, neither does Frog to Magus!
>interacting pieces of shit having a unique phrase on everything
Chrono Cross does that, and what? It's just one generic response in 9001 accents.

>furry argument
Gotcha, you fucking animal. Stay mad that Katt has such a good design and is so liked.

>WTF are you talking about?
That you are obnoxious as fuck and came to the game with prejudice, bias and butthurt that no one cares about your opinion, so your point of view is very inflated.

>Wait, do you think BoF2, with that garbage original translation, is more beloved than Mother 2?
It's a fact, Eathbound is not that popular in the West, even after all the marketing that Square has blown at it, but the talk is not about that. The talk is that there're many people who like BoF2, and that's far more substance to the table than whatever /vr/ faggots like you are saying their whole lives.

>> No.4821202

>>4821183
>is so liked.
This is literally the first time I've ever seen anyone passionately praising BoF2.

Regardless, the argument that Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger characters are boring because they're human is infinitely stupid, you deserved to be called furry.

>> No.4821204
File: 26 KB, 352x266, 107.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do any of you have an ff tulpa?

>> No.4821208 [DELETED] 

>>4821202
>This is literally the first time I've ever seen anyone passionately praising BoF2.
You haven't been on the Internet much, have you? How old are you by the way?

>> No.4821218 [DELETED] 

>>4821208
/vr/ tards are underage shitposters. Not to mention they probably don't even know there was a BoF fansite that went down several years ago, and that Capcom practices greatly alienated the fanbase. They are probably thinking that if people don't talk about it on 4chan or reddit (though reddit likes BoF), it doesn't exist.

>> No.4821226

JRPG's are objectively better than CRPG's

Practically all CRPG's are plain ugly, with dull tones and inhuman characters. Game mechanics are barely there beyong "Click the attack button and maybe cast a spell", and music is generally horrendous.

Compare that to JRPG's, especially FF6 and chrono trigger. Gorgeous colorful graphics, amazing deep stories with so many different layers, great combat and amazing music

Name me one "Creative" RPG not in a fantasy setting. Fallout doesn't count, it's barely a RPG, and don't give me obscure shit like Escape from hell, gimme something "Good"

>> No.4821242

>>4821183
>It's a fact, Eathbound is not that popular in the West, even after all the marketing that Square has blown at it

>Earthbound
>Square

>> No.4821254

>>4821218
>>4821208
Old enough to have rented the game and played it over the weekend on my SNES. It was one of the first roms I downloaded back in 1998 and have tried multiple times over the years to play it but I always get bored. To me, it's the perfect example of a famous but otherwise generic-nothing-special-about-it JRPG.

It's not that I've never heard any praise for it, just not the insane over-the-top love that you've put on display here.

>> No.4821265 [DELETED] 

>>4821254
Yeah, it's just your opinion man. It's not like fans of it will understand the likes of you either.

>>4821242
My bad.

>> No.4821273

>>4821181
>>4821183

>Yes they do. Because the sprites in BoF2 look so goddamn good, even FF6 fans like them.

One thing is to like them.
Another thing is to be stupid enough to put BoF2 sprites in FF6. It will look awful no matter how good they were. This fan mod argument couldn't be dumber. These people are stupid.

>See? Subjective vomit.

Yeah, subjective just like everything you posted.

>ad populum people like you.

Weren't you the one who just said BoF2 was better than DQ5, SMT2, EB just because it was more popular in the west?

>Sure you didn't.

Yeah, sure i didn't. I like Ryu actually.

>How much of a dialogue does those have?

It's not only about dialogues but their chemistry. Magus and Frog don't talk many times with each other, but they have an amazing backstory and very memorable interactions.

>Chrono Cross does that, and what? It's just one generic response in 9001 accents.

Oh, so we are talking about CC now. Nice.

>Gotcha, you fucking animal. Stay mad that Katt has such a good design and is so liked.

Dude, you just said CT/FF characters are boring because they are humans. Either you are a furry or a retarded.

>It's a fact, Eathbound is not that popular in the West, even after all the marketing that Square has blown at it, but the talk is not about that.

Oh, so is that Earthbound made by Squaresoft. Now i agree with you. I though you were talking about the Earthbound made by Nintendo.

>> No.4821280 [DELETED] 

>>4821273
So you dumb animal just sitting here and fishing for replies? Have a (You) and get the fuck out.

>> No.4821296

>>4818276
I like cRPGs better. I'm just not into Japanese RPGs for a number of reasons, number one being that they are just "too Japanese" in their stories, aesthetic, writing, and other things.

Plus cRPGs usually place more emphasis on choices and consequences, builds, and so on.

>> No.4821372

>>4821085
At least make it through Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, I just back to backed them and had a great time

>> No.4821394

my favorite game has changed over time. right now its tactic ogre for snes. prob crpg

>> No.4821407

>>4821085
This is the greatest effort in life. I believe you will obtain all of the achievements which you in heart desire.

>> No.4821446

>>4821226
>Creative Crpg
No such thing, people are just too afraid to admit it. Americans are just too simple minded

>> No.4821610

>>4820819
>They are also not boring humans and plot devices.
Are you 12 by a chance?

>> No.4821614
File: 25 KB, 320x200, Darklands_7[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4821226
If anything, crpgs can offer better gameplay elements that doesn't necessary revolve around combat. And to say that wrpg have more deeper stories, holy shit.

>> No.4821617 [DELETED] 

>>4821610
No, are you shit taste retard?

>> No.4821620 [DELETED] 

Subhumans only play FF6 and CT. How intriguing.
Fucking human garbage.

>> No.4821621 [DELETED] 

>>4821620
This is why no one comes to 4chan and the site is dying. A dozen of pricks who hate emulation, and who have played only the most overhyped garbage from a system.

>> No.4821623 [DELETED] 
File: 117 KB, 1035x275, 1464616474941.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4821624

>>4821610
it's kattfag, ignore him and he'll go away

>> No.4821625 [DELETED] 
File: 2.70 MB, 2200x2000, WELCOME TO HELL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4821628 [DELETED] 

>>4821624
So you are that human garbage that was stirring shit up all along? Fucking kill yourself, you fucking piece of shit.

This site is fucking AIDS and "people" here, please be pretending, because no sane person can comprehend how much of a shitheads are you all. You are just asking to be hit.

>> No.4821632

>>4821624
the funniest part is when kattfag gets so butthurt his english keeps getting worse and worse

>> No.4821635 [DELETED] 

>>4821632
The cringe part is you replying to yourself.

How shit you life must be.

>> No.4821904

>>4821624
>kattfag

Godamn. I'm browsing /vr/ today after a long absence and I can't believe this guy is still here.

>> No.4821987

>>4821614
>WRPG's have deeper stories
>Generic "kill the bad guy plots"
>incredibly boring fake medieval europe politics
>Pathetic attempts at philosophy 101 bullshit
sure

>> No.4822045

>>4821226
Deus Ex.

>> No.4822047

>>4822045
>Generic cyberpunk
>le 2deep4u philosophy (literally start talking about fucking phil101 topics with some random bartender)
>Shitty gameplay + endings
>game is unbearably dry
>Glitchy as fuck
Do you have a single fact to back that up?

>> No.4822359

>>4821904
same

>> No.4822690

>>4821372
>>4821407
I'm still goin' strong. Found a bunch of games to add to my list. SMRPG is a lot better than I thought it would be. A lot funnier, too.

I got one of my buddies to join me on my quest. We're going back and forth and gonna be sharing tips and strategy guides as we go.

>> No.4822975

Arcanum

>> No.4822986
File: 870 KB, 5000x5000, 1528228509248.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In FF1 I know Monks should never have weapons but should they have armor?

>> No.4823071

Fallout 2 or Baldurs Gate 2

>JRPG or CRPG?
Only ever really got into CRPGs. It's the open worldness, the customization and the dynmic roleplaying I play the games for more than the story. I tried to get into JRPGs, never enjoyed the final fantasy games, tried Secret of Mana and stopped playing once you had to babysit the AI, that being said I like Dragon Quest III, Vandal Hearts and Shining Force. Open to suggestions for JRPGs that have decent combat systems now that I have a Retropi

>> No.4823153

>>4822986
I'm not sure but if you don't want yours to die like a little bitch, have him wear it.

>> No.4823270

>>4823071
you (all niggas) need SaGa in your life

>> No.4824297

I'm on vacation now, what's a relatively short rpg I could play now? Preferably snes or Playstation. Some of my favs are FFV, FFVII and Chrono cross.

>> No.4824301

>>4824297
LIVE A LIVE is short and different, and it's also by Square

>> No.4824379

>>4823071
Shining Force II has a decent grid-based tactical game engine. There's also Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre if you want good combat systems, though they are barely JRPGs.

>> No.4824861

I'm currently play Xenogears after dropping like $40 on it a few weeks ago. I'm trudging through some prison sewers and bored out of my mind, have some serious buyers remorse.

How long do I have to wait for the game to get interesting again? Everything was fine until this shitty prison.

>> No.4825085

>playing Tales of Phantasia
>gut tells me that Arche will be best girl
>shes a nymphomaniac
It doesn't make sense, pink hair is always best girl

>> No.4825091

hey as a broken man I've never played many games before the ps2 era (being born in 97 didn't help it either). what are the classics that are worth playing if I"m expecting an actual 10/10 rpg?

I've only played Chrono Trigger and I'm starting now Legend of Mana and FFVII because these are the ones that look the most interesting to me. what should come next?

>> No.4825120

>>4825085

Yeah, but I bet Arche fucks like a tiger.

>> No.4825216

>>4824861
>shitty prison.
I got to the same place and quit shortly after getting out. I know that they ran out of budget and started cutting corners in the later discs.

>> No.4825243
File: 133 KB, 250x256, DQ3_Spell_Heal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Favorite game
Xenoblade was what really got me into JRPGs. I loved how over-the-top the game was, the story was stupid enough to keep me interested, and the combat was actually pretty engaging.

>JRPG or CRPG
Haven't played enough CRPGs to really say which is better. Wizardry V is on my list, though.

>> No.4826405

>>4825216
Yeah it's really wearing down my patience. I won the tournament with the shitty fighting minigame but I'm still stuck in the area with absolutely nothing interesting happening.

I'm giving it another hour or two to pick up or I'm dropping it

>> No.4826414

>>4825243
Play Baldurs Gate

>> No.4826416

>All these newfags who have never played any good WRPG's
At least try the original fallouts if you can

>> No.4826650
File: 843 KB, 1920x1080, skies0027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Favourite game
Skies of Arcadia. Loved the feeling of adventure that game gave off, it was so amazing and honestly shot up to being my favourite game of all time as well, everything from the music to the worlds you could explore gave off a great feeling of adventure and fun. I absolutely adore it.

>JRPG or CRPG
Haven't played much CRPG's. Just Fallout 1 and 2 but I loved them a lot, especially once I understood how to play it, so I'll say JRPG's since I've experienced more of them.

>>4819970
Grandia has a pretty cool battle system, all moves are based on a timer at the bottom of the screen which you can manipulate with items and criticals and such, but the game itself is pretty easy so you never really need to focus on it too much, just if you want to end a battle quicker by critting enemies to slow down their turns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrK1MZoVVGg

>> No.4827304
File: 118 KB, 756x690, 34441-Lufia_II_-_Rise_of_the_Sinistrals_(USA)-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I started Lufia 2 yesterday and it's great fun.
Straightforward and the puzzles aren't braindead.
I haven't encountered any of those capsule monsters yet, I'm excited to see.

But I'm a little disappointed when it comes to the monster design. Coming from Shin Megami Tensei, Dragon Warrior and Mother 3 I got used to cool designs unconsciously.

>> No.4827307
File: 176 KB, 509x534, tumblr_nhadhxpw0Q1u2lyiwo1_540.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sexiest girl from Bamco's Tales of series? I'm gonna go with Rondoline.

>> No.4827314

Nothing in the jrpg category really reaches the heights of Fallout, Arcanum or Morrowind for me. I can enjoy them quite a bit, and specifically I'm a fan of the DQ series, but the above titles are endlessly replayable.

>> No.4827835

>>4824861
I forget exactly, but the prison sequence is the worst part of the game for me, even worse than the disc 2 storyboards

>> No.4827840

>>4825091
The nice thing about many of these earlier games is that you can try them for 30 minutes and usually have a decent feel for the gameplay. 30 minutes is more than enough time to get through the first dungeon and reach the second town in Final Fantasy IV, for example. By that point you should have a pretty good feel for what the game will be like and whether you want to keep playing.

>> No.4827968

>>4827307
>not retro
>only available on a unpopular console
>japanese only

I'd be surprised if anyone knew who that is without google.

>> No.4827982

>>4827835
I'd be fine with disc 1 being like disc 2 bases on what I heard. So far in disc 1 there have been no sidequests or any reason to really explore the world anyway. I've literally just been going from one plot point to the next over and over.

I've beaten the tournament in the prison but I haven't touched the game since. I can't find any motivation to finish it and I have a bunch of other rpgs on my backlog that I'm actually really interested in starting sooner.

>> No.4827987

>>4825091
Lunar Silver Star Story
Grandia 1 and 2
Wild Arms 1 and 2
FF9
Breath of Fire 2-4

>> No.4828492

How is The Granstream Saga? I love Teranigma but i don't care for SB and IoG.

>> No.4828826

>>4821446
>crpg's
>only popular in America
OBSEESSSSEED

>> No.4828828

>>4821987
>Pathetic attempts at philosophy 101 bullshit
Sorry friend, you seem to have slipped up and started talking about jrpg's for a second.

>> No.4828830

>>4828828
Both suck in that regard, let's be honest here.

>> No.4829076

>>4828830
Yeah, I like both even though I lean more towards crpg's. To actually add to the conversation I miss job systems in ff. I've always preferred making my character/party instead of just so and so getting their same end game gear every playthrough.

>> No.4829289
File: 24 KB, 121x132, computer control man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

prove to me Final Fantasy VII New Threat is worth playing

>> No.4829310

>>4829289
If you wanted to play FF7 with actual challenge then go for it

>> No.4829542

>>4829076
FF stopped being FF after V or mayyyybe VI (and after X not even the same genre). Now the actual FF games are made with other names (like Bravely Default)

>> No.4829597

I feel like trying Parasite Eve soon, what's your opinion about it?

>> No.4829907

>>4829289
It's FF7 but without shitty gameplay and with even more content.

>> No.4830292

>>4818290
>Rudra no Hihou
Came to post this. I had a fucking blast with it, the music was phenomenal, the setting and story were great.

Surlent > Riza > Sion

>> No.4830450
File: 135 KB, 562x406, newcomer_c64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4818276
That's a though one. I don't think I've ever had an absolute favourite except for the very beginning. There are just too many RPGs that I loved laying and love replaying.
A few notable games that I have really fond memories of are Betrayal at Krondor, the Ultima games from 4 onwards, Tales of Phantasia, Heroes of the Lance (though I had no idea what I was doing) and Newcomer (an absolute gem of a C64 game).

>JRPG or CRPG?
Both.

>> No.4832387

>>4819836
A few missing from that list? I can remember beating more SNES rpg titles, or is it just a recommended list?

>> No.4832397

>>4830292
Surlent was the best yeah but Sion was better than Riza. Riza's story is generic "bring light back to a darkened world" stuff. Sion just wants to fight gods. Also Foxy > Riza

>> No.4832549

>>4832397
It definitely applies to their boss themes, though.

>> No.4832628

>>4818276

Definitely prefer CRPGs. I absolutely despise random encounters, but I don't care if combat is turn-based, RTwP, or real time. I also prefer character creation and freedom of choice to "visual novel with combat."

My favorite retro RPG is easily Torment, but my favorite RPGs overall are Morrowind and Arcanum.

My favorite JRPG is Final Fantasy VII.

>> No.4832739

>>4818276
>>Personal Favorite
FO2 XOR Arcanum.

FO1 is Pretty good (It's better than 2 in some aspects... but I like 2 more, beat it)
PS:T has an OK story but little reactivity so...

>>JRPG or CRPG?
Both have good titles (i.e. Chrono Trigger,SD3,FFT,FFV ), JRPGs have average stories and no world building/manuals, say compared to GoldBox Pool of Radiance games and the like.

In any case /vr/igins should play the best of both genres.

>>4823071
>FO2

Muh nigga, play FFV if you haven't already.