[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.07 MB, 3810x2250, Framemeister-XRGB-mini-Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4803586 No.4803586 [Reply] [Original]

I'm looking for a bit of shopping advice. I currently switch between an Elgato HD60S and an older model, HD Game Capture, for older consoles, but I'm getting tired of having to plug and unplug the two models. I was thinking of selling the older model for $100 and getting pic related, but even so that price is kind of nuts and I would only use it for N64, Dreamcast, PS2, and Wii, and only with S-Video and Component. Is it worth it? I've heard the stories about how this thing practically works miracles but I'm still not quite convinced.

>> No.4803729

It's not really worth getting if you're only going to run those consoles imo.

>> No.4803738

Unless your goal is to run RGB from everything you plug into it, don't bother. It's also good at converting signals with non-standard refresh rates, like arcade boards, to 60hz. If you're not going to do either of those, then yeah, no point.

>> No.4803745

>>4803729
That's what I've been thinking and it's the biggest thing preventing me from buying it. With my current setup, the TV won't recognize S-Video coming out of a passthrough. So, I have to plug the S-Video into a switch box and then send one S-Video to the capture card and another to the TV. I'm just tired of that shit; there's cables fucking everywhere and it looks like a mess. So I figured that the Framemeister would help solve my wiring issue on top of delivering a slightly improved picture. But for around $350, that's a steep as hell price.

I would consider the OSSC instead but it doesn't take S-Video and I'd rather not mod my N64 just for RGB. On the other hand, I could get an S-Video to RGB adapter but that's even more wires and who knows if I get a good one. The Framemeister just seems like an end-all-be-all solution but I'm back to that price. I don't know what to do.

>> No.4803750

>>4803738
That's what I've heard; that Framemeister is basically king when it comes to RGB. But if I don't care about RGB, is there a better or more cost affordable upscaler? Aside from OSSC, which also seems like it's meant for mainly for RGB, are there any other alternatives?

>> No.4803759

>>4803750
Your main problem is only being able to have one system plugged in at the same time? If so, you could get an analog input switcher to feed into the capture device.

>> No.4803775

>>4803759
I'm fine with only having one console plugging in at once, I don't even have the space to have them all out all the time anyway, but I would like an HDMI solution of some sort. Obviously there are analog to HDMI adapters but I'm sure that they're all ass. There's also the Ultra HDMI mod for the N64 but, for that price, I might as well buy the Framemeister is settle with that. It's not as good as Ultra HDMI but at least it'll display on my TV and feed through my capture device just fine.

>> No.4803786

>>4803775
Gotcha. The Framemeister is a great device, and if you're going to invest in it, you should go whole hog and get the RGB cables for whatever system you want. Depending on where you get the Framemeister from, it will either come with a Japan or Euro scart adapter. Get the matching scart cables for your system and you're good to go.

>> No.4803814

>>4803786
But if I'm not going to use RGB then it's just not worth it? Maybe I can track down a Dreamcast RGB cable and the N64 RGB mod isn't too expensive, but I figure that I might as well stick with component for the PS2 and Wii, the Wii mainly being for GameCube games because fuck the GameCube's component cables. I guess I'll have to think on it some more.

>> No.4803974

>>4803586
>Is it worth it?
No. If you have to ask anyone except your daddy about spending money on toys you should be saving it for food.

>> No.4804092

>>4803745
I know you're not picking one up but just wanted to say that OSSC works very well with 240p stuff in component and the HD 60s.

>> No.4804763

I've been thinking of getting the Framemeister for the longest time but the most concerning thing has been that 1.5 input delay. I don't know how bad my current TV is; I'm happy with it but I'm sure it's not the greatest. If I get the Framemeister then I'm afraid that 1.5 delay is going to push it over the edge.

>> No.4804871

>>4804763
What kind of TV? Some have as much as a quarter second of lag.

The best LCD monitors lag about one frame. Skip the original hardware, play with RetroArch's runahead enabled, and have less lag than you would with the actual console :-)

>> No.4804882

>>4804871
It's a 42-inch LG from maybe 2005? Product code: 42LC7D. I can't find any information on it. I'm guessing it's doing about 28 - 30ms of lag. It's perfectly playable but I'm afraid that the Framemeister might make it worse. Is that a logical concern to have or is the additional lag so minimal that I likely won't notice it?

I've seen a test where the Framemeister actually improves input lag by making it so that the TV has to do less processing, but I assume that's mostly for newer TVs? I might be wrong about that. Here's the test I'm referring to.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ_z6DYx2wU

I'll look into RetroArch. I'm not planning on spending even more money but I may have to.

>> No.4804885

>>4804871
>>4804882
Oh, nevermind. RetroArch is that emulator. I was thinking of something else. I'm a stickler for original hardware but I'm about ready to make the plunge to emulation because this is all being too much of a hassle.

>> No.4804893

>>4804885
>stickler for original hardware
>doesn't play on cancer ray tube
ooookaay

>> No.4804897

>>4804893
I have a CRT that I keep around for light gun games but the picture's not the best. I'm just trying to make due with what I have at this point.

>> No.4804901

>>4804897
Find another one free or cheap on craigslist, dummy

>> No.4804904

>>4804901
I've thought about it but I hate buying something when I'm not quite sure if it'll work. I should keep an eye out for anything free though.

>> No.4804908

>>4803586
It's worth it if you're a full time hikineet twitch streamer.