[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 17 KB, 200x164, a to.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786875 No.4786875 [Reply] [Original]

Was Lufia 2 the best rpg on the SNES?

>> No.4786881

No, you imbecile.

>> No.4786893

>>4786875
It's definitely up there. I still prefer FFVI and Chrono Trigger, but Lufia 2 is close behind.

>> No.4787226

>>4786875
I only like playing games in production order, and I couldn't get into 1, so I never even tried 2.

>> No.4787234

Gameplay: yes
Puzzles: yes
Sidequests: yes
Music: yes
Menus:yes
Graphics: meh
Story: not really

I love the game and i have replayed it plenty of times, but Jrpgs really need a good story to keep you on track. And Lufia 2 doesn't have that.

>> No.4787252

>>4787234
>And Lufia 2 doesn't have that.
Agreed, the only parts of Lufia 2 that are memorable are lifted straight out ouf Lufia 1 (where the whole Lufia 2 story actually seemed to be way better than it ended up being).

That being said, as a game and not a storybook, it's up there with FFV for great gameplay and replayability. It's funny that both games have dumb stories, seems you can't focus on having good gameplay without forgetting to write a decent story.

>> No.4787281

Lufia 2's battle system is extremely boring and standard JRPG fare, as far as I remember. People like to bring up the equipment skills but they're not a big deal at all and you're probably fine ignoring them; I'm pretty sure I did the usual buff attack heal stuff in almost every fight in the game, with the only exceptions being the ones before I could buff and/or heal. (Note: This does not apply to Ancient Cave, which is its own beast and is pretty cool)

But MAN are those puzzles good. Lufia 2 is a bad JRPG but it's such a good puzzle game that it's totally worth playing just for that.

>> No.4787494

>>4786875
The best? Probably not. It's still my favorite RPG on the SNES though.
The music is memorable, the graphics look pretty good considering SNES space limitations some summoning spells still look awesome to this day, the puzzles give a lot of variety because of being able to use specific items like in link to the past and so do the capsule monsters and the dungeons never seem boring because they change the setting regularly and as said before, AC is pretty cool.
On the other hand, the story is barely there most of the game even if it wasn't that bad when it actually came up occasionally. Most of the time, you do things that barely have anything to do with the main plot and feel like filler you can't skip so that won't convince "open world" fags.

What's probably one of the greatest things about the game -and in Earthbound as well- is that in enemies are visible in dungeons and you can avoid most of them with your skill items. That way you won't have to battle too many foes if you don't feel like grinding (not that you would need to cause this game is much easier than most RPGs).

>> No.4787603

no, that'd be one of the Romancing SaGas, FFV or Live-A-Live

>> No.4788393

>>4786875
FFV was better

>> No.4788404

It's a fucking gem with those puzzles and its a shame that DS remake was such garbage. Also weird it just had that rouge like dungeon 15 years before it became an indie game cancer

>> No.4788447

>>4787603
Romancing SaGa 1 and 3 were pretty lackluster. For the former it's better to just play the remake and the latter wasn't as impressive as RS2

>> No.4788594

>>4788447
I should try RS2 then, because I loved 3. SaGa Frontier is still my favorite SaGa game though.

>> No.4788602

>>4786875
Gameplay: the second best after FFV. Fun puzzles, Ancient Cave, Capsule Monsters, IP skills, cool encounter system (all enemies are visible on the map and they only move when you take an action), etc.
Music: great, but not CT or FF6-tier by any means.
Story: garbage.
Graphics: garbage.

It's a good game. But lets be real, compared to JRPGs like Shin Megami Tensei III or Breath of Fire V, not even its gameplay its noteworthy.

>> No.4788627

>>4788404
What's so weird about it having roguelike dungeons? Do you think indies invented roguelikes? Mystery Dungeon was a thing at the same time

>> No.4788712

>>4788627
Just not something i expedited crammed inside a jrpg in the mid90s. Did rogue take off in Japan? Only other time i remember rogue like in a japan game after this was erghiez

>> No.4788880
File: 14 KB, 256x224, Fushigi no Dungeon 2 - Fuurai no Shiren (J) (V1.1) (NP) [!]_00000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4788712
Shiren the Wanderer, my mans. Though I agree that the cross genre introduction of randomized dungeons is novel.
Personally my run got ended yesterday when I died and lost about 3-4 hours of progress. I had just beaten the boss after Guy joins, too.
Never made it to the rogue dungeon you guys are talking about.
Game and puzzles were pretty good but the story was bad enough and the library of the snes is large enough that i'm not too hot on picking it back up again.

>> No.4788896

>>4786875
No but it's one of the better ones.
>>4787234
>Jrpgs really need a good story to keep you on track
Most JRPG's have a rubbish story though.

What's with everyone saying FFV has good gameplay? Yall love grinding for abilities that much? You're nuts.