[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

File: 113 KB, 704x448, 273-Burning_Rangers_U-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786065 No.4786065 [Reply] [Original]

>saturn can't do transparency

>> No.4786067

and your point is?

>> No.4786070

Who are you quoting?

>> No.4786071
File: 2.87 MB, 720x405, svideo_tr.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786071

>>4786065
Both VDPs can. VDP1 just spits out the image 6 times slower than if a simple mesh command is used

>> No.4786073

Just use an emulation shader bro

>> No.4786074
File: 2.93 MB, 720x540, on_svideo.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786074

>>4786071

>> No.4786076
File: 2.99 MB, 720x405, flicker_composite.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786076

>>4786074

>> No.4786079
File: 2.96 MB, 720x405, flicker_svideo.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786079

>>4786076

>> No.4786082
File: 2.90 MB, 720x405, composite_tr.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786082

>>4786079

>> No.4786117

>>4786076

As convincing as it looks when you blur the shit out of the image, you're limited to 50% transparency. Fading in and out isn't possible with that technique.

>> No.4786137

People haven't cared about this in over 20 years

>> No.4786152
File: 161 KB, 640x480, おジャ魔女どれみドッカ~ン! 第28話「おばあちゃんズにはかなわない!?」(DVD 640x480 WMV9).avi_snapshot_08.55_[2018.01.13_14.22.06].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786152

>>4786065
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_OchOV_WDg

>> No.4786163
File: 100 KB, 800x600, this is cool.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786163

>>4786065
this is cool

>> No.4786313

>>4786065
DBZ Legends could affort a nice comparison.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jju0bnj__c

>> No.4786318

>>4786152
I thought that was a large black man' s hand and this was a blacked.com edit.

>> No.4786325
File: 349 KB, 500x480, 1485693467724.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786325

>>4786065
Why is it said that the Saturn wasn't a turn 3D system? I understand how older tile-based systems worked. I understand how 3D computer graphics work. I don't understand how you could have the games the Saturn did, and not call it 3D. Was there a great deal of hacking to get it to work? Or did it just not have hardware suitable for accelerating rich 3d scenes?

>> No.4786335

>>4786065
shit tier console flopped hard, once again proving genesis was a flash in the pan, and sega had no idea to design and market a successful system

>> No.4786337

>>4786325
I think it's just one of those console war memes that took a kernal of truth and exaggerated/distorted it. Like PS3 has no games, when it fact it actually means the PS3 lacking popular exclusives early on in its lifespan.

In the Saturn's case I think the kernel of truth it's distorting is the fact it's a pain in the ass to develop 3D games on relative to the competition.

>> No.4786341

>>4786313
holy shit I always thought that dbz game was garbage. But it looks awesome on saturn.

>> No.4786367

>>4786065
they sure made up for it with dreamcast
powervr is king of transparencies with its order-independent transparency.

>> No.4786398

>>4786335
>being this upset SEGA was the first company to dethrone the corrupt Nintendo tyrant

Fanboys, when will they learn?

>> No.4786446

>>4786313
Ah yes, this is the game they released in PAL land, but only in French and Portuguese. And just as Dragon Ball Z was incredibly popular with kids on Cartoon Network too. Sega sure knew how to run a business.

>> No.4786645
File: 16 KB, 120x120, 6440.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4786645

>>4786337
I'm pretty sure I've read devlopers describe it that way.

Anyway, for a tile based system, 3D and bitmaps are difficult to do because they don't work with the underlying tile and palette framework efficiently. You really have to go to great lengths to get 3D running on something like a Genesis.

3D systems typically have a frame buffer and hardware used to draw into the buffer efficiently. Does the Saturn have such features?

>> No.4786652

>>4786318
>I thought that was a large black man' s hand and this was a blacked.com edit.
This is how you know you've spent too much time on r/cuckold

>> No.4787853

>>4786065
transparencies are comfy

>> No.4787864

>>4786065
>HUUUUURRR ONE GAME ON SATURN HAD TRANSPARENCY WHAT NOW SONYPONY
That's not the point retard.

>> No.4787959

>>4786325
Saturn was initially being developed as a 2D system. They added 3D support at the last second without proper polish.

>> No.4788035
File: 2.99 MB, 480x336, Quad Rendering.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4788035

>>4786645
The Saturns way of doing 3D is super-super weird. It works completely different then the usual polygonal triangles and instead uses quads with sprite distortion to draw 3D stuff. Of course devs had to do this since 3D on the Saturn was just an afterthought and they were forcing the 2D hardware to do things it wasn't designed for in the first place.

https://youtu.be/VutzIK3DqZE?t=3m38s

Making 3D games for the system indeed must've been a real pain in the ass.

>> No.4789525

>>4786446
Even if Sega tried I doubt Toei would've allowed them to release a game that went way beyond where DBZ was currently at on television in America. Hell I'm pretty sure that's part of the reason why Final Bout didn't get a reprint for a long time.

>> No.4789776

>>4789525
>release a game that went way beyond where DBZ was currently at on television in America.
Isn't that exactly what happened in other regions though.

>> No.4789782

>>4788035
Triangles were commonly used in games because the maths for polygon rasterisation only works on convex polygons and it's impossible to make a concave triangle. 3D modelling to this day uses quads as the generic display/editable primitive. The saturn using quads wasn't a big problem.

The big problem was things like not being able to specify arbitrary UV coords for texturing, not having a real way to blend per vertex colouring with textures, etc.

>> No.4789783

>>4789776
I don't really know what episodes of DBZ aired and when in other regions. Just know America didn't start getting a decent number of DBZ games until around the Buu saga began to air and that's more than likely because Toei didn't want us knowing what's gonna happen next.

>> No.4791968

>>4786152
Hi, Doremi poster.

>> No.4793996

>>4786163
woo yeah

>> No.4794178

>>4789525
>I doubt Toei would've allowed them to release a game that went way beyond where DBZ was currently at on television in America.

My cousin had the official VHS set that was an entire saga ahead of what was airing on cartoon network. We had the entire android saga before the freiza saga was finished on TV. Toei was also selling merchandise from the Buu saga when CN was only on the android saga.

>> No.4794187

>>4787959
this is completely untrue. stop parroting lies and read a book

OP, saturn can do transparency in software, not hardware. this is what people mean when they say it "can't" do them

ps1 on the other hand could do hw transparency just fine