[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 220x220, 220px-PC_Game_Fallout_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4758517 No.4758517 [Reply] [Original]

I'm starting this for the first time. I played Fallout 1 as a standard small guns/speech guy and now I want to try something different. What are some fun builds?

>> No.4758537

I'm curious how many people end up becoming junkies during their first playthrough of this. Drugs are just everywhere at the start of this game.

>> No.4758541

>>4758517
Low int, high charisma vagina with sex appeal and jinxed

>> No.4758542

>>4758537
Only when playing melee/unarmed where psycho becomes your new ammunition.

>> No.4759214
File: 522 KB, 803x411, FO02_NPC_Myron_G.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4758541
Why, helll-ooooo there, beautiful.

>> No.4759227

>>4758517
Fallout 2 is somewhat poorly balanced with the first few locations being melee heavy, with no guns to obtain. This really fucks over small guns specced characters who have to punch giant ants and geckos with abysmal hit rate.

Obviously, later on in the game melee becomes inferior to guns, even with the best weapons.

>> No.4759235

I keep trying to get into Fallout 2, but I have a hard time doing so. Fallout 1 is a game I have a lot of fun with, and I had no problems playing it all the way through. First time I played 2 I got bored before I even got out of the opening tutorial area. The next time I got bored in the first town I ran across. I don't know why. It seems like a good game, but I just can't get into it.

>> No.4759238

>>4759235
Fallout 2 is a slow burner, yes, with pretty much first 2-3 locations being complete trash, but on the flipside it's an enormous game, it's got like 5 times as much content as FO1.

>> No.4759392
File: 89 KB, 738x747, 1525188150499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You have installed the restoration project and all that yes?
It's practically mandatory.

I played a melee weapons/unarmed/can't remember character. A bit redundant on the first two but it was really fun anyway just dosing up on psycho, running into the middle of a huge mob and beating the shit out of everything.

>> No.4759419

>>4759392
>restoration project
To be fair, this is just a big mod that adds a lot of content inspired by various concept art and other pre-release stuff. The vast majority of it is fan made and the quality varies, so to speak.

A newcomer should be fine with just the unofficial patch that fixes bugs and doesn't do anything else.

Just don't play unpatched. There are tons of really fucked bugs in vanilla FO2. Like half of your car disappearing. Because reasons.

>> No.4759423

>>4759419
True.

I remember getting fallout 2 back in the day, god damn whoever was doing quality assurance for them deserves a brain exam.

>> No.4759486

>>4759423
It's just the Cain/Boyarsky/Anderson effect, everything they touch becomes equally amazing and buggy.

>> No.4759495

>>4759235
Better playing f2 on fresh head, not immideatly after complete f1.

>> No.4759762

Stupid melee characters are always funny my dudes, but not being able to use the gauss rifle sucks balls

>> No.4759787

>>4759423
>I remember getting fallout 2 back in the day, god damn whoever was doing quality assurance for them deserves a brain exam.
Big, complex games and rushed releases are not a good combination.

>> No.4761462

>>4759235
I got into Fallout 1 very quickly. It took five false starts to finally enjoy Fallout 2 and not just trudge through it. Once you get in the right mood, it's fantastic.

>> No.4762830

In Fallout 1 I had great speech, science, and gun skills -- this made the game too easy in my opinion. In Fallout 2 I plan to make low int, high charisma, melee / big guns build. We'll see

>> No.4762842

>>4759227
pipe rifle in vic's shack. steal guns off people in klamath. git gud

>> No.4764458

>>4758517
Go full tribal. Punch things to death, spear-throw whoever the fuck tries to run away.
In F2 it is perfectly doable to play entire game as melee/HtH combo and have fuckload of fun with combt.

>> No.4764464

>>4759227
>Fallout 2 is somewhat poorly balanced with the first few locations being melee heavy, with no guns to obtain
Imagine being this fucking dense. Just in Klamath there is enough shit to get yourself a 10mm from shop. There is also one for free in the tunnels. Then you can rob Metzger from double barrel shotgun (or take it from his dead body). And so on and forth.
Stop being a fucking lazy piece of shit and start playing this game for real, rather than complaining.

Also - it's perfectly playable as melee for entire game.
>later on in the game melee becomes inferior to guns
Oh, wait, you never played Fallout 2 at all

>> No.4764472

>>4759392
>It's practically mandatory.
Unless you want to have workable options for melee and HtH, you don't want to have Restoration Project installed. If guns are fun enough for you, then go ahead, but RP fucks up non-gun combat under retarded excuse of "because I don't feel it fits the game" by the modder. And it's mandatory element of RP, so... yeah.

>> No.4764482

>>4759419
Honestly, RP is worth it for at least two things:
Fix all bugs, especially those related with endings
Adds bunch of options to quests that simply should have been in base game

>> No.4764964
File: 137 KB, 1069x390, Fallout_gunslinger_build.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I enjoyed this one.

>> No.4764997

>>4764964
>few minutes of my life forever lost
Do not waste time and read this guys.

>> No.4766305

something I really like in the older fallouts that isn't really present from 3 onward is how easy it is to permanently gimp yourself in some way.

Challenge runs are always great after you play a game so much you could beat it in your sleep

>> No.4767982

>>4764997
Fuck, I should have read this post first

>> No.4770393
File: 90 KB, 500x501, 317.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4764964
>Fallout 1 build
>Starting with any stat at 10
>Especially those that can be rised later
>And fucking acknowledging this is wrong
>Le bugged Sniper perk maymay
I always wonder what sort of "fun" people have with playing the same fucking build over and over and over and over again. Sepcially when it's fucking max-out Luck Sniper build.

>> No.4771146

This is one of the few games I really enjoy playing a stealthy pickpocket type

>> No.4771769

>>4771146
I wish stealth was reliable and consistent enough to use it for real, rather than save scumming and hoping for the best.
Because if I've got all the sneak-related perks and 200+ % of Skill, then something is fucked up if enemies can spot me.
At least Tactics had reliable stealth that made it super-fun to sneak by and shank people, especially with Riddick.

>> No.4771872

>>4770393
My favorite fallout 2 build was an unarmed only character who started with 2 str and 9 agility.

I did not beat things by doing damage to them. I killed everything in the game with targeted anatomical attacks.

It was pretty hilarious, when I won the boxing title I did one hit for 2 damage and instantly fucking killed the champion.

>> No.4771874

>>4771769
if you initiate combat to freeze time sneaking becomes a lot more OP

>> No.4771894

>>4770393
I don't know why but I like to play hybrid melee/energy with high speech and low charisma, homerun faggot with super sledge and then riddle his eyes up with energy pistol of choice, have a good conversations with smart people(high speech and usually science) but not being able to influence people with status as much (low charisma)

>> No.4772595
File: 9 KB, 834x601, My face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4771874
>If you abuse loophole in the system, then it works
T-thanks!

>> No.4772735

>>4771769
if they'd just included a good level editor and modding tools for Fallout: Tactics, the community would be playing and buying that shit til kingdom come

>> No.4772819

>>4772595
Well technically if you trigger sneak and just sit there in real time they are always going to find you eventually, combat sneak isn't a loophole so much as it's choosing to move tactically.

You can still be seen it's just not going to keep making checks while you sip your coke.

>> No.4772820

>>4759214
Myron is underrated as a character

>> No.4772825

>>4770393
stealth snipers are pretty much cancer in any rpg/fps
literally the most uncreative build ever

>> No.4772835

>>4764464
Yeah finishing the trial with super low unarmed/melee is just the best

>> No.4772842

>>4771769
So true

>> No.4772843

>>4770393
How do i force myself to play as an evil character? I couldn't do it in any RPG i have played so far.

>> No.4772846

>>4772820
Always pick him up, I always liked Vic as well

>> No.4773531

>>4772820
I always keep him alive, I hate how you pretty much can only get the ending where he dies.

>> No.4773845

>>4758517
Take jinxed and play an unarmed character. Increase your AC as much as possible and try to run away from anyone that shoots at you.

>> No.4774061

>>4772825
Stealth snipers can be fun, just like in Borderlands 2. Problem is, if you are playing a turn-based RPG, the combat gets really fucking stale if you are picking most of your enemies from a range they don't even know what hit them, but AI still charges toward your direction to get within range. This was problem in Fallout 1 and this is problem in Wasteland 2, so either Fargo and Co. are retarded at writing game engines or simply sniping in turn based games is always going to lead to this bullshit.
Take Arcanum, where sniper rifle, while being one of the most powerful (due to reliable 40-40 damage and higest range of all weapons) guns in the entire game, is also super-slow and nobody can exchange fire with you, so all enemies are going to just blindly charge. Early game - super fun and makes things easier. Late game? Just tossing bunch of grenades is going to do more, faster and cheaper.

>> No.4774062

>>4772843
Define "evil character". You mean it as opportunistic asshole that looks for most profit or you mean it as puppy-kicking, mustache twirlling bad guy who always does the worst thing possible without considering anything else than how many people will suffer?
Because the 2nd one is something close to impossible and pretty much unfun experience.

>> No.4774078

>>4772843
It's simple. You focus on personal profits you get from a quest. For example:
Lynette offers citizenship if you shut down the reactor. Turns out ghouls have their own interest in it. Help them out, then lie to Lynette you solve the issue. Before she realises you've lied to her, you won't ever need to be in Vault City and they are still going to raid Gecko, but what do you care?
In similar vein, wiping out 3 out of 4 families in New Reno and leaving Wrights with access to SAD is the most profitable thing to do, Yojimbo-style. You don't give a fuck who wins this struggle, but there is a way to squeeze all four families out of most money and supplies. That third of the towns population died in the process or will be killed once Wrights get heavy ordnance? What do you care? You got your money.

>> No.4774086

>>4764472
>RP fucks up non-gun combat under retarded excuse of "because I don't feel it fits the game" by the modder
I don't remember any significant gameplay changes and last time i played, it was Unarmed/Energy/Speech. Can you elaborate?

>> No.4774105

>>4774086
Ok, let's assume you are unaware of how Unarmed works in vanilla FO2, it will be easier to explain. First, read up:
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Unarmed#Unarmed_skill_attacks
As you can see, you not only can raise unarmed for free to about 120%, the Unarmed itself is very, very powerful by level 12, as you gain armor piercing attacks AND they do a fuckload of fixed damage, to the point it's better to use "naked" fists than bother with any sort of weapons (basic knuckles are ALWAYS worse than your fists) and get a nice armor-piercing attacks too.
RP significantly nerfs or outright removes bonuses for special attacks, without buffing Unarmed weapons, meaning you can't reliably murder things in HtH, because you now have "normal" punches against all sort of abominations that are in the mid and late game.
EVERYONE said to the modder it's a god-awful idea, especially since vanilla game was very open about intentionally having powerful HtH and the moron still nerfed it, still claiming that "it doesn't fit and fists can't be that powerful". Apparently he didn't notice it's a Fallout 2, not Autistic Realism Approach 2.

>> No.4774157

>>4774105
Oh, now i see. Probably i didn't notice the difference because out of the New Reno boxing i pretty much always used power fists.
It is the same shitty approach that ruins most of FO3/NV/4 "hardcore" mods: they take a game that is already sneak sniper friendly and turn it into sneak sniper ONLY friendly game. Besides
>add the content that authors didn't feel belonging in the game
>remove the content that authors thought belongs in the game because you don't feel it fits the game
Restoration my ass.

>> No.4774305

>>4774157
Nah, aside fucking up HtH combat everything is fine, so you for example still can make a reliable melee characters or just pack big guns and start exploding things. RP simply blocks all the sweet stuff that makes HtH a reliable choice, so it's half-decent early on, but utterly useless by Den or so. Meanwhile, in vanilla, you can finish the game using nothing else but your fists, which is fuckload of fun.
This is my main beef against RP, because it makes it impossible to play it as a "true" tribal, only using melee weapons and HtH