Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 49 KB, 1200x400, SEGA.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4757109 No.4757109 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Does anybody actually believe that SEGA was better than Nintendo, or is it a meme? I remember having friends who owned Nintendo consoles, and friends who owned SEGA consoles as a kid, and I always preferred hanging out with the kids who owned Nintendo consoles. Everything SEGA made felt like an off-brand version of a better Nintendo game. Their games felt cheap and soulless and corporate to me, like Nintendo would release an original game and all they could do was scramble to produce a SEGA™ version of it.

>> No.4757112

>better
No one gives a fuck about retarded company wars, take it back to /v/.

>> No.4757113

I totally 100% agree. But yes there are bitter autists out there who still insist sega is (was) better. I think now they mostly play sony cinematic games.

>> No.4757115

I can't think of a single Genesis game I would rather play than Yoshi's Island. That game is bursting with color and charm and personality. Sega games feel so empty. It really says a lot about your console when one game is better than the entire library.

>> No.4757121

There's a reason SEGA stopped developing consoles, and now develops games for Nintendo consoles.

>> No.4757123

They were never better, but I always liked them.

>> No.4757128

>>4757109
They were always better, it's just you and your friends had terrible taste in the Genesis library.

>> No.4757132

I still believe the Sega Genesis has a better library than the Super Nintendo if you're into fast-paced arcade-y action games. Even great action titles on the SNES feel kind of sluggish. Compare something like Mega Man X to Contra: Hard Corps.

History is written by the victors though.

>> No.4757136

>>4757109
>Their games felt cheap and soulless and corporate to me, like Nintendo would release an original game and all they could do was scramble to produce a SEGA™ version of it.
Name them.

>> No.4757150

>>4757132
not if people like us still exist, fuck revisionist bullshit

>> No.4757152

>>4757109
sega was superior in europe but american jews got into the high ups of sega and destroyed it then jumped to xbox

>> No.4757153

>>4757150
Factual truth is revisionism now, huh

>> No.4757161
File: 26 KB, 510x546, SIP AND STARE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4757161

>>4757109
>Everything SEGA made felt like an off-brand version of a better Nintendo game. Their games felt cheap and soulless and corporate to me, like Nintendo would release an original game and all they could do was scramble to produce a SEGA™ version of it.
You're going to have to give several examples if you want to make a claim like that.

>> No.4757162

>>4757132
Maybe you should compare Contra 3 to Contra Hard Corp. Except that would ruin your argument.

>> No.4757214

>>4757152
>sega was superior in europe
The UK is not "Europe" and it only sold better there because Nintendo consoles had shitty ass distribution and retarded prices. This meme needs to die.

>> No.4757223

>>4757109
Depends on what you like. Nintendo focused on making longer, more intricate games designed for the home market, and that's the sort of thing they pushed on the SNES.
Sega wasn't great at this. Their lifeblood was arcade gaming, it's what made them millions and millions of dollars. Which, again, is what was pushed on their machine.

as an aside, there are really few SNES games I actually feel like playing -- SMW is okay, I've never liked Metroid, I've never liked Zelda. Super Smash TV is loads better than on Genesis. I loved SMK and F-Zero, and when I discovered emulation I played the shit out of Uniracers. Mega Man X is a fun series. All those games I'd enjoyed a lot were similar to stuff I'd more often find on the Genesis.
On the Genesis, there's a fair few things I like. Shadow Dancer, Streets of Rage 2, Granada. Super Hang-On, Space Harrier II, MUSHA, Road Rash. The Sonic games. Ristar. Gunstar Heroes. Few of these games are nearly as iconic as the big Nintendo titles... but they're also in no way clones of stuff on the SNES.

like, this line makes me wonder if you've ever played a Sega anything
>Their games felt cheap and soulless and corporate to me, like Nintendo would release an original game and all they could do was scramble to produce a SEGA™ version of it.
the only two games that come to mind that fit that description are Kid Chameleon and the first Alex Kidd, which are both Mario clones

>>4757162
I like HC better than 3, but it's also a fairly different game in a bunch of aspects. It's a lot less of a straight comparison than one'd expect.
also, those top-down bits are lame

>>4757121
yeah, but the reason is entirely "lol, let's release the Saturn early with no games and then bring over only about a fifth of the library to the west"
the machine went from incredibly anticipated to "eh, I'll buy a playstation, it's cheaper and it's got more games"
even with the power gap, it could have actually competed, rather than become a literally who

>> No.4757235

>>4757109
>Does anybody actually believe that SEGA was better than Nintendo

If you liked arcade/action and sports games, Sega was the best. If you liked platformers and RPGs, Nintendo was the best.

Both had great games in all genres, but them's the facts.

>> No.4757236
File: 1.07 MB, 711x877, tom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4757236

>>4757150
I'd like to have a word with you...

>> No.4757241

>>4757235
>If you liked platformers and RPGs, Nintendo was the best.

Didn't even have the best games in those 2 genres.

>> No.4757242

>>4757162
I think my argument (more of an observation really) still stands. Contra 3 is a slower-paced game than Hard Corps.

>> No.4757243

>>4757109
>I remember having friends who owned Nintendo consoles, and friends who owned SEGA consoles as a kid, and I always preferred hanging out with the kids who owned Nintendo consoles.
You were a bad friend, and judging by your decision to make this thread, you're still a shit.

>> No.4757335
File: 62 KB, 192x145, 1493296945980.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4757335

>>4757109
I guess it depends on what sense you mean "better" in. I mean as a company they survived and thrived in a way Sega definitely didn't, so that's like a "win".
As a kid I mostly liked and played Nintendo, but that's really just 'cause second hand NES shit was most of what was available to me other than 90's indie scene games and demos on the PC. Having played them later on I think I would've enjoyed Sega games more on average. I certainly do now.

>> No.4757379

Its difficult because I'd say the dreamcast was one of the best consoles ive ever owned.. But I like quirky weird japanese games. SNES had so many good titles that its ridiculous tho

>> No.4757385

>>4757109
What Nintendo games are Daytona USA, Nights into Dreams, Virtua Cop and Virtua Fighter a ripoff?

>> No.4757386

>>4757121
>implying it was Nintendo who kicked Sega off the market.

>> No.4757403
File: 722 KB, 600x805, 1511923202183.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4757403

sega is better
nintendo is dumb
case closed

>> No.4757408

I'll take the bait.

1. Name the Sega games which are simply cheap imitations of Nintendo games.
2. Your childhood friends may have just owned shitty Genesis games.
3. Nintendo's intended audience was younger than Sega's, so it's no surprise that young children often enjoyed their games more.
4. There were genres and styles of games which you couldn't find on Nintendo consoles or were at least more plentiful on Sega consoles. Surely you can understand why someone who enjoy those sorts of games would prefer Sega to Nintendo.

>> No.4757570

>>4757241
Platformers can go either way, but RPGs? Come on, it was a blowout. I don't even need to list how many epic titles the SNES had. Phantasy Star is okay, but it's no Final Fantasy.

>> No.4757580

>>4757408
Video games in general are for younger people.
As a kid I loved mario, sonic, mortal kombat and doom all the same.

>> No.4757612

>>4757109
I like arcade games. Sega made a shitload of amazing arcade games so I like Sega.

>> No.4757616

>>4757570
>phantasy star is ok
no it isn't
had it as a kid and it put me off RPGs for years

>> No.4757617

>>4757109
sega were better than nintendo. its arcade hardware and line of games developed exclusively for it speak volumes of the amount of times sega was putting their shoe into nintendo's asshole.

>> No.4757668

Both are fine companies, and I mowed a lot of lawns to get a SNES, Genesis, and a TG-16 back then.

There were wildly different offering on each system, and it's hard to hate on any of them.

If a game was available on SNES and Genesis I typically got the SNES version for it, because it just had more colors. 4 times as many colors on screen at a time.

But it's not like I was going to bitch about access to Strider, Sword of Vermillion, Moonwalker,Hard Corps, El Viento, or Mutant League Hockey.

As long as there are good exclusives available, taking a side in the console wars is retarded.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action