[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 239 KB, 598x620, mariofix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4750083 No.4750083 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Main_Page

Got questions about repairs, mods, or other technical details? Bring 'em here.

If your console has trouble reading games or self-resets, you may just need to clean it. Check out the game an console cleaning guide first before asking questions here:
http://www.gametechwiki.com/w/index.php/Game_and_Console_Cleaning
I hope I didnt fuck up anything I just copy pasted from an old thread

>> No.4750129
File: 3.17 MB, 4032x3024, C0F254A8-B1C6-483D-B60C-6A99A09C0E29.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thanks for keeping the dream alive

Wish I had more to contribute but I haven’t opened up my Dreamcast for cleaning - it’s great for entry level stuff like cleaning spilled Kool-Aid on boards

>> No.4750156

>>4750129
>Thanks for keeping the dream alive
I havn't done anything too tedious in weeks. I buy used OEM controllers on the regular, and I ALWAYS keep a pair of rubber gloves on and rubbing alcohol nearby. ANY TIME you take anything apart like this, you always need to protect yourself and your surroundings. Plenty of anons have had the "luck" of obtaining cockroach infested consoles, games and TVs. Roaches are terrible, and once you get them, they never go away. The eggs are impossible to kill. If you see them, consider what you bought a total loss unless you can somehow clean it out of doors.

I am a "pipefitter" by trade, and I see things like roaches all the time....Mostly in kitchens of public places. I never wear boots home because even stepping on them can smear their eggs all over your shoes.

Getting a great multi took kit with various sized & shaped screws makes all the difference. A used and poorly working controller can be cleaned.

Also, mesh bags work great for bulk cleaning. Load all the plastics and buttons into the bag, and toss it in a dishwasher. Be aware that some dishwashers get boiling hot. Test run with useless same types plastics to verify.

Also, thanks for keeping the thread alive.

>> No.4750164

>>4750156
Dude thanks for the tip about roaches - I know I’m always worried that whenever I pick something from eBay it’s going to have roaches or fucked up bugs. It’s shitty that they love consoles.

Do you have any tips regarding buttons feeling “mushy”?

>> No.4750187
File: 1.10 MB, 1920x2560, Cleaned up 032018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4750164
>Do you have any tips regarding buttons feeling “mushy”?
Find a direct fit replacement rubber pad. Some work better then others. I usually just franken-controller things together. As example, the other month I realized that my son destroyed all of my xbox controllers over the course of 3 years. 3 out of 4 were broken either by dropping on the hardwood floors or having wires ripped internally from wrapping the controller up.

I bought 6 used ones and one generic. Sometimes the generic 3rd party items work in OEM, sometimes not. After it was all done I had 3 working OEM one generic and a pile of parts. The bad stuff got tossed, and the confirmed goods were kept.

Some "retro" stores sell non-working models in bulk. This is a great way to cheaply source better pads.

Cleaning with Isopropyl rubbing alcohol can clean these things up. Get a small brush to really clean out where the plastics touch. Make sure all your screws are not stripped which can cause "spongy" feel. I keep a 2 part plastic glue handy and IF I strip the screws (or they were stripped) you can toothpick some glue into the hole, and re-screw. Sometimes I just glue and reassemble if it works, other times I wait until the next day. If it it still fails, I toss it.

One of my favorite controllers was a generic Wii Snes controller that fit a broken SNES controller shell. It has since failed...due to my sister-in-law's kids not understanding that soda and vidya don't mix....so to fix that issue, they now have no access to my game collections.

I try to clean out/cleanup every few years to keep things fresh. One thing I do that everyone swears against is using a brush attachment on a vacuum cleaner.

>> No.4750210

>>4750156
>Plenty of anons have had the "luck" of obtaining cockroach infested consoles,
Can confirm. Got an Atari 2600 out of some guys garage and opened it up to clean it and a whole bunch of roaches poured out of it. Luckily I had the foresight to open it up outside. I took the PCB out and hosed the case off with the garden hose.

>> No.4750241

>>4750164
They like consoles because the vent holes are the right size for them to get in. You're probably alright with game controllers, game cartridges, and most portable consoles as far as pests but consoles should be checked outside first.

>> No.4750602

Kinda thread related but now that we're at a time where 3D printing is extremely accessible has anyone made good quality US SNES and Super Famicom console shells? I'd love to rehouse mine.

>> No.4750605

I bought a Genesis model 1 without cords for like 2 dollars. I found everything but the only thing left is the power cord. It's pretty rare here in my country to even find a Genesis, even rarer is to find the parts of it even if they are knockoffs, but I managed to find everything but the power cord is missing.

My question is, can I replace the original power cord with some generic transformer or something like that, or I absolutely need an original or Chinese knockoff made exclusively for the Genesis 1?

>> No.4750814

Can a PAL N64 can play NTSC ROMs at 60Hz without modding?

>> No.4750821

Is there a /vr/ approved modder list with good work and fair prices?

Anywhere to get premods that isn't ebay?

>> No.4750826

>>4750814
Yes. Everdrives have a region switch. Once it's set to your console's region, it'll play anything at native res / framerate.

>> No.4750852

>>4750826
that reminds me to ask;
when a PAL SNES is modded to 60Hz, does the resolution change from 288p to 240p?

>> No.4750874

>>4750605
9V 850mA-1000mA Center pin negative, have fun

>> No.4752382
File: 2.89 MB, 4032x3024, B48AF545-D64D-4EE1-9425-4BE98B819FE1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4750210
>>4750241
I’ll be sure to take those precautions, the battery sometimes fails in both the NTSC 1 consoles that I own and the last thing I want are roaches

>> No.4752385

>>4750852
Can't speak to SNES, but my region modded Mega Drive definitely changes resolution when I switch it.

>> No.4752440

>>4750156
Thanks for keeping reddit alive on 4chan. I realize this will probably trigger a janitard but it has to be said. Besides. pipefitters with a a roach fetish have their own board.

>> No.4754538
File: 69 KB, 1400x788, home-remedy-roaches-actually-works_86f08a9de9f986f2_nd59ynYOTxqGflDADg29-A[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4750241
>consoles should be checked outside first.
It is highly advisable. I hate buying systems because of the fear of the unknown. It is always best to test where you find them to verify working, but to bring home and clean good. Systems get warm, and will smell like the house you get them from. A good disassemble and wash down in Dawn dish detergent and hot water of all plastic parts helps, but the smell of pets and smoking is hard to get off the PCB. I have bought systems that cats have pissed on, and that smell never leaves. Clean it as best you can and hopefully sell it to another cat owner.

>>4752440
>Thanks for keeping reddit alive on 4chan.
Thanks for autistically focusing on two sentences of my whole post and being "triggered" by my experience with cockroaches. They are very real, and very dangerous to anyone trying to avoid them infesting their home. I am only suggesting that the best way to not have them in your home is to not bring them in, but that ONCE you get them, you might as well move or burn your house down. They are quite common in the sale and trade of old electronics as other anons mentioned.

Also, I have never used reddit. Thanks for the shallow insult though. If it "triggers" you that I mixed experience with caution, think about it the next time you eat at a restaurant. There is a high probability that the kitchen has them.