[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 138 KB, 1215x920, 1490166551717.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4728690 No.4728690 [Reply] [Original]

Just bought an Atari Lynx yesterday. Went for the model II, it's more comfortable than I expected. Getting crystal mines 2, dirty larry, hydra and super skweek; anyone have any good recommendations?

>> No.4728692

>arcade perfect ports
>brand name literally synonymous with video games

>> No.4728720

>>4728690
"Zaku" is a wellmade, homebrew Air Zonk clone. Unfortunately it's not dumped, you'll have to buy it

>> No.4728749

I was quite hooked on Todd's Adventures in Slimeworld. There's good versions of Gauntlet and Xybots which is an underappreciated game.

>> No.4728752

>>4728749
Electrocop looked it was trying to do something similar to xybots but without the whole changing the camera view thing. But xybots looks great and the arcade game is choice so that's definitely one I'll have to grab.

>> No.4728826

>>4728749
>There's good versions of Gauntlet

Yeah, the Lynx has a really unique version of Gauntlet. I like how this game deals with screen crunch by putting in a field of view window for your character.

Enemies and items will show up in the bottom left screen if they are in the player characters line of sight. It is a neat way to use the scaling hardware in the Lynx to anticipate enemies further up in the map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVI6mM2Fbk8

This game also has some amusing character classes too, like gunslinger, samurai, robots and other things.

It may be a bit awkward to get to grips with the orientation of the screen though. Since it has to be played in vertical mode. I remember playing it on a real Lynx and it is a bit odd at first, but you get used to it.

Battlezone 2000 is pretty interesting too if you can find it. The main game is an enhanced version of the original vector arcade Battlezone.

But there is a second hidden game that is even bigger. and more complex. This hidden game was suppose to be the real Battlezone 2000. But Atari thought it was too complex and told the developers to just make a simple arcade port.

Skip to 1:21:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxnT3O56AIQ

The audio is messed up in that video, BTW.

>> No.4728954

>>4728720
Holy shit, this looks awesome, Air Zonk has always been one of my favorite PCE games. Thanks for the heads up, anon, think I might buy a copy.

>> No.4731226

loved the lynx, played almost every game for it.
crystal mines 2 stands out as it gets better the further you go. it becomes more bomberman than boulderdash and the transmuting/combining materials makes it a great puzzle game too

>> No.4731234

>>4728690
dirty larry and super skweek are a bit lame, but dont let them put you off.

Shadow of the Beast
toki
rampart
Chips Challenge
paperboy
xenophobe
ninja gaiden

these are my faves and i spent many hours on each.
if you like the simpler classics then robotron and joust are awesome and well made

>> No.4732696

>>4731234
Is thr shadow of the beast port pretty good? Been meaning to play that game forever but have never decided which version to start with.

>> No.4732702

>>4728954
It's well worth it and it even comes with a full color manual. It's pretty tough, but not too tough. Some stages remind of Neo Geo it's so good.

>> No.4733983

>>4732696
its missing a few enemies here and there compared to the amiga version, but its pretty close overall.
nice music too