[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 418x211, animation_debut8-article_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4725975 No.4725975 [Reply] [Original]

>> No.4725983

Hotel Mario is okay
Zelda ones are bad but at least the music is cool.

>> No.4725993

If you take Hotel Mario as an arcade game from the early 80's is a pretty decent game.

Zelda games have good graphics and music, but the gameplay is frustrating, the menus sucks and the hit detection is awful. The games feel more like a chore than fun.

>> No.4726023

I have both Zelda platformers, and no, they're not really THAT bad. They're not great, and have some pretty annoying gameplay choices sometimes (having to grind snowballs to kill fire enemies to grind fireballs is not fun), but they're okay enough platform adventures.

>> No.4726724

It sure is boring around here

>> No.4726737

>>4726724
As good as the memes that came our or these games were, I.M. Meen was ultimately even better for that.

>> No.4726752

>>4725983
>>4725993
Hotel Mario is not decent at all. Its comcept and execution are barebones, I don't even think that game was playtested. I'd much rather play Faces of Evil or Wand of Gamelon.
That said Zelda's Adventure is the worst of them all.

>> No.4726774

I legit would love to play them to find out. Not kidding, I would buy a re-release, but we all know that would never happen because Nintendo doesn't like to embrace it's past or even have a good laugh about it.

>> No.4726815

>>4726774
Surely you can emulate them. I agree with you that Nintendo's up their own ass about a lot of stuff, but not acknowledging the CDi games is TOTALLY understandable.

"h- hey reggie we should rerelease these shitty games for an obscure, garbage system that only exist because we made a bad deal that also inadvertently created our greatest competitor, it'd be epic!!!! XD"

If you want TRULY bone-headed-past-burying, it'd be them not releasing a Virtual Boy Collection for 3DS. Talk about retarded.

>> No.4726941

>>4726752
>I don't even think that game was playtested
The joke is Nintendo reviewed those games and approved them BECAUSE they were shitty. When another developer came with a slightly better Mario that actually plays like SMW (but still shitty, even if slightly less so than the rest) they vetoed that.

For the CD-i, the apprentice and lucky luke is where it's at. A shame that studio went under because they could have done cool things had they hired better level designers.

>> No.4726960

>>4726774
The games were intricately stuck in a legal kerkuffle even at the time of their release (a legal handshake between Philips and Nintendo lawyers to sort out the CD-i / SNES CD problem) and since then Philips sued Nintendo over unrelated patents years later and there's bad blood.

Full time laywer commitment over several months and hundreds of gallons of coffee would be needed to untangle that mess of whose rights do these games belong to.

What makes you think Nintendo will think this is worth all those costs and bowing for Philips, when they didn't even do that for
>arcade DK
>doki doki panic
>popeye
>uniracers
>entire satellaview catalogue sans bs fe
>mike tyson punch out

they DID that for some shitty side cast characters in diddy kong racing so who knows.

>> No.4726963

>>4726941
>For the CD-i, the apprentice and lucky luke is where it's at.
I wish I had any of those. The only comparable game I had was Litil Divil, which sure as fuck was a much worse game than the Zelda ones,

>> No.4728346
File: 3.00 MB, 384x239, FoEIntroFull.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4726724

>> No.4728649

>>4725975
They are games that make you wish someone would port them to PC and fix all the most annoying things in them, but leave the nice graphics to be appreciated.

>> No.4728657
File: 104 KB, 639x454, link_faces_of_evil21[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4728649
and by "port" I don't really mean a straight port, but basically a new game with the same story and graphical elements. And maybe some of the more decent level designs you might find in the game. But you'd probably want to take big liberties.

>> No.4728821

If you have to ask in 2018 they probably are.