[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 126 KB, 600x420, cover_large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4714908 No.4714908 [Reply] [Original]

>guns with muzzle flash
>real levels instead of muh backtracking
>actually has colors other than brown and grey
>actually fun to play
Reminder that this is the best version of this game and the PC version is a boring slog.

>> No.4714918

Ever since that meme eceleb made that video, “people” keep going on about how the console versions were actually better

>> No.4714924

>>4714918
I've never watched an "eceleb" in my life so I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, but the PC version is a grey, floaty piece of shit, and yes, the console versions are actually better.

>> No.4715019

this new console port being better than the real game meme is pretty funny desu

>> No.4715024

>>4715019
>the real game
They're both the "real game", one is just fun and one isn't. I mean hey, look, if you really enjoy a longer campaign and modding capability in place of actually having fun gameplay and appealing visuals, suit yourself. Personally, Quake 2 on PC is boring as piss for me.

>> No.4715076

Never played it, but I'm interested in playing it, I like some of the n64 ports of PC FPS like Duke64.

>> No.4715162
File: 22 KB, 320x240, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4715076
You should definitely check it out. It's a great game and it's dirt cheap. I played the PC version long before I ever played this one, but personally I just found the level design, weapon balancing and aesthetics much more to my liking in this version. Also, the multiplayer is some of the best on the console.

Also, fun fact: the N64 version of this game is the only 5th gen console game to run in true 24bit color. Really nice looking game.

>> No.4715170

>>4715024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nx7vQoofqM

lmao

>> No.4715197

>>4714908
The thing about the N64 version that I liked better was the split-screen multiplayer.

>> No.4715208

meh, both versions have the same boring setting and enemies, retreading the same techbase theme doom and quake already did
also unless you're using an emulator or happen to have the ps1 mouse accessory, the controls are pretty bad

>> No.4715228
File: 49 KB, 400x400, 1454014224636.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4715170
>That framerate
>That resolution
>Taking three whole seconds to aim a shotgun of all things
>Having to remind console "gamers" that pushing buttons does things
My eyes have been opened.

>> No.4715242

>>4715170
I don’t understand. OP says that PC quake 2 is “dull and gray” yet this is exactly that.
Also, didn’t the N64 have no loading bars as a gimmick? Why have them here?

>> No.4715248

i played the n64 version and its just a downgraded version with different levels that lacks everything that makes quake fun on pc

>> No.4715276 [DELETED] 

>>4714908
*tips fedora*

>> No.4715327

bait threat

>> No.4715360

>>4715170
>>4715228
>>4715242
>it's an assmad samefag PC autist gets upset because the console port is actually fun episode
Also
>that muzzle flash
>that actual color
>that great splitscreen
>those new and better designed levels
>the fact you're pretending the game has bad controls because of a cherrypicked video that doesn't represent a good player

>> No.4715413
File: 19 KB, 1029x274, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4715360
>assmad
no that's just you lmao

show us a good player then buddy

>> No.4715510

>>4715413
>implying MSPaint and phoneposting don't exist
Even if you're a different person, it doesn't really matter. The game is still great and you're shitting on something you've never played. There are barely any videos on YouTube so there aren't many to pick from, but I assure you, anyone who takes 3 seconds to aim when you can use a dual analog setup, is retarded.

>> No.4715595

>>4714918
What video?

>> No.4715738

>>4715510
>N64
>Dual Analog

>> No.4715847

>>4715738
>not knowing what a raphnet adapter is
>not knowing you can use the dpad to move and analog stick to aim

>> No.4716467

>>4715510
it's the internet and you cant show good gameplay of this game 'cause it doesn't exist. it's shite. upload your own gameplay then (that will be shite, too, and you know it which is why you won't). you can't even bunnyhop on N64. Quake without advanced movement just isn't Quake, that's a fact of life.

I saw some vids of the game, don't know why you think it's so special. it's a bite sized version of the PC game with a much smaller scale and far less intricate design, awful framerate, less enemies to engage at once. but muh muzzle flash amirite. nigga please.

>> No.4718806

>>4716467
>it's the internet and you cant show good gameplay of this game 'cause it doesn't exist.
You're right, it doesn't.
>upload your own gameplay then (that will be shite, too, and you know it which is why you won't)
Nah I'm just not a fag that owns a capture card.
>you can't even bunnyhop on N64. Quake without advanced movement just isn't Quake, that's a fact of life.
Actually you can, but the fact you think "advanced movement" is directly correlated with enjoying a game is pretty telling of how shit your taste is.
>I saw some vids of the game
At least you admit you haven't actually played the game, which is why you can't do things like bunny hop. Kind of strange to be commenting on the quality of a game you've never experienced, don't you think?
> it's a bite sized version of the PC game with a much smaller scale and far less intricate design, awful framerate, less enemies to engage at once. but muh muzzle flash amirite. nigga please.
Putting aside the fact that you're blatantly wrong about multiple things here (such as the design being less intricate), the reason this version is better is because it's actually fun. Quake 2 on PC is floaty, loose, unsatisfying and frankly, downright boring. Is the N64 version better looking from a technical standpoint? No. Does it run at 60fps? No. Does it have online multiplayer and mods? No. But you know what it does have? Gameplay that is actually fun. Atmosphere that is actually immersive. Multiplayer that is actually engaging. And yeah, on top of that, some cool extra features like rumble and muzzle flash. If you can't understand why a technologically inferior game can be superior due to good gameplay, then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, Quake 2 on PC puts me to sleep. The weapons have no impact, the enemies aren't intimidating, the level design isn't as tight or unique, and overall it just isn't very fun to play.

>> No.4719026
File: 286 KB, 220x142, tenor.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4718806
tldr nerd. beautiful anal anguish though im sure.

>> No.4720409

>>4719026
>get blown out
>uh d-didn't read
you sure showed him

>> No.4720546

>>4714908
most people were still playing Duke Nukem 3D that year.

>> No.4720772

>>4720409
>showed him
You can stop samefagging any time now

>> No.4720773

>>4714908
>implying the PC version sucks

I know that a lot of people think it's boring because they only played the first few levels and it's all dull brown and grey (which I think was intentional to emphasize the brightly colored lighting effects which were special at the time of release but not special today). However, it's actually a pretty fun game whose only big flaw is being too easy. You mention backtracking but it isn't really that bad, there's just a few hub levels.

Also the N64 version has a terrible framerate. PS1 version is pretty cool because it's using an entirely different engine built for the PS1. N64 version gives me a headache.

>> No.4720785

>>4714908
Just look at this shit right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQNu0jqhr4

Even if you want to be a console kiddy, the PS1 version is the better port.

I honestly think they reason they added more neon colors to the console releases was because those versions couldn't handle the advanced (for the time) light effects from projectiles and explosions. Part of Id's design philosophy was to highlight John Carmack's technical innovations, though in certain cases (like Quake 2 and Doom 3) people don't necessarily appreciate them especially when the TECHNOLOGY becomes old hat after other games start using the same engine or develop similar techniques.

>> No.4720848

PC version is the best. This guy always makes this silly topic.

>> No.4720958 [DELETED] 

>>4720785
huh (no pun intended). first (and last) time I will ever be impressed by a playstation game (only considering the fact that it's a playstation game of course)

>> No.4720976

>>4720785
>the PS1 version is the better port.
I own both console versions and nah, it really isn't. PS1 port was butchered. The BFG was rendered near-useless, movement speed was cut in half, you can't customize the controls, some powerups were removed, there are no cheats, it's easy as piss, there aren't many secrets and they're usually hidden in broad daylight, replaying the game is a snore thanks to the lack of passwords, excessive backtracking and the fact you don't get most of the fun weapons until the last 1/3 of the game... the list goes on. They also had to make a ton of graphical concessions to get it working. It looks pretty good at first glance thanks to decent textures and coloring, but upon closer inspection you'll see just how neutered it is. There's no skybox support (the sky is literally a few polygons that you can shoot), no flowing water, very few moving scenery objects, damage isn't shown on enemies when you hit them, explosions and particle effects are a joke, simplified architecture, etc. Perhaps worst of all, there are some really nasty graphical glitches that occur way too often, such as enemies, projectiles or even your own weapon becoming completely invisible until you reset the game. Not to mention, it also has some of the worst clipping and shimmering I've ever seen in a PS1 game.

The N64 version has its flaws, but that video doesn't do it justice. It looks much more crisp and colorful in real life, closer to the pic in this post >>4715162. PS1 version is really just a stripped-down PC port, whereas the N64 version is more like an original game with some cool exclusive features. It doesn't suffer from the same flaws that the PS1 version does and is overall a unique and competent version with god-tier splitscreen multiplayer that was likewise ruined in the PS1 version thanks to tiny, shitty maps, weird glitches and sluggish pace. PC is the best (duh), but between the two console versions, N64 trounces PS1.

>> No.4720995

>>4720773
>implying the PC version sucks
quake 2 sucks in general but the pc version is just boring. makes a better console game imo. multiplayer is great and all but at that point just play quake 3

>> No.4721002

>>4715170
Jesus, the controls look almost as bad as Doom 2016.

>> No.4721010

>>4721002
prolly because the retard playing doesnt know you can customize the control to aim with stick and move with dpad. controls are pretty good as console shooters go.

>> No.4721021

>>4720995
>weapons that distinctly handle differently from each other
>larger variety of enemy types than 90% of FPS games of the past decade
>levels with verticality
>minimalist atmosphere

I know it's not Id's best game, but it's still a classic. Way too many people sell it short because of the brown and grey, but the enemy animations/behaviors and gunplay are fucking great, and the level design is classic non-linear maze FPS. When people complain about backtracking I wonder if they even ever played FPS games made before Call of Duty.

>> No.4721031

>>4721021
the problem is that it just isnt all that fun. a lot of the weapons are almost useless and most of them look ugly, and the combat feels loose and floaty and lacks any weight. almost everything you described (minimalism, verticality, etc) was already done by quake 1 but with a more unique aesthetic and impactful weapons. it lacks the straight up meat grinder gameplay of doom and yet also lacks the labyrinthine level design of the first quake, settling for an odd middle ground that doesnt endear itself towards replayability. backtracking isnt a problem if a game utilizes space well, but in quake 2 a lot of times you are just sent on a fetch quest to grab some arbitrary object and then have to haul ass back to where you were 10 minutes before with barely anything new in between. thats why it makes a better console game, because the console versions were shorter, more compact and they added color and atmosphere that made the journey seem a bit less tedious and samey.

>> No.4721070

>>4721010
>prolly because the retard playing doesnt know you can customize the control to aim with stick and move with dpad
lol even with that it's pure shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXgXV3VmKOs

>controls are pretty good as console shooters go.
Nope. this is an example of game that controls 'pretty good as console shooters go': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PaQk3X6vVM

Quake 2 N64 controls/plays like ass.

>> No.4721147

>>4721070
>lol even with that it's pure shit
>links to a video of a guy using the same poor control mapping I just mentioned
are you retarded?
>Nope. this is an example of game that controls 'pretty good as console shooters go
>someone who is good at using a control scheme is the same thing as the control scheme being good
i repeat: are you retarded?
>Quake 2 N64 controls/plays like ass.
it sounds more like you're just shit at it or haven't even played it

>> No.4721154
File: 39 KB, 585x398, kektus-cactus-896970-abby55.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4721070
>exhibits penis envy because a 20 year old console port is better than muh pc original
>so butthurt he scours youtube looking for the worst gameplay video possible
>can't even find one using the control scheme he says is pure shit so posts one hoping you won't notice

>> No.4721243

>>4721147
Go to the 32 second mark. That guy is using the analog stick to aim, C buttons to move. That's a better control scheme to use than using dpad to move, since your right thumb has immediate access to A and B for the weapon switching. It's the same thing; the point is you wanna aim with analog while being able to strafe. That was the standard N64 scheme used if you wanted to aim with stick and strafe move buttons. Are you implying that you're some retard that can only aim with your right thumb? this also raises doubts that you were actually playing N64 games back then, because we were ALWAYS aiming on N64 with the analog stick with the left thumb.

>>someone who is good at using a control scheme is the same thing as the control scheme being good
you're actually brain dead and sperging out pretty hard right now, making absolutely ridiculous false strawmen. I'm showing a game that actually plays well on console and retains fluidity (for console standards) -- something that Quake 2 N64 doesn't do, no matter which control scheme it has available. if that player in the COD video was stuck with N64 Quake 2 control precision/framerate/performance he would be absolutely gimped and that gameplay would not be possible to do in the slightest. the result: slow boring gimped gameplay, which is what N64 quake 2 is, and that's not even taking into account all the other limitations the console port has.

>>Quake 2 N64 controls/plays like ass.
it does indeed. Prove me wrong then. still waiting on that "good gameplay" that apparently the entire internet doesn't have and you are unable to produce yourself.

>> No.4721248

>>4721154
>penis envy
uh oh someone's smol
>>so butthurt he scours youtube looking for the worst gameplay video possible
Post a good video then bud.
>>can't even find one using the control scheme he says is pure shit so posts one hoping you won't notice
I never said the control scheme is shit lol (although it is, but anyway). I said Quake 2 N64 controls and plays like shit, regardless of the control scheme you use among the ones it has available. that faggot brought up controls like it would make a difference so I posted a video with analog aim and button movement as opposed to movement by analog. I figured that was his problem when he complained, didn't know his implication was that he was too retarded to aim with left thumb and was projecting that on the guy playing in the vid. it doesn't matter if you move with D-pad or Cbuttons and aim with analog stick. The point is the analog aim precision and game performance is total ass regardless. But hey if you like slow boring gimped gameplay then more power to ya bud.

Meanwhile on PC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xwJVgFyEE

>> No.4721257
File: 58 KB, 1280x720, big_1450724989_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've never seen a kid so hopelessly crippled by nostalgia over such an insigificant forgotten game. Hell it's not even 'forgotten' lol. Nobody EVER gave a shit about N64 Quake 2 and nobody ever will despite how hard you keep trying to meme it into relevance. Funny stuff though, carry on.

>> No.4721273
File: 617 KB, 1186x882, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4721154
>looking for the worst gameplay video possible
I literally posted the first result you faggot.

Take your cherry pick and show me the one with the "good gameplay."

>> No.4722196

PS1 version is better then the N64, and thats a fact

>> No.4722225

DUDE DIGITAL FOUNDRY LMAO

>> No.4722227

>>4722196
Bro this guy >>4720976 already disproved that. PSX version is hot trash

>> No.4722268

>>4722227
Why do you call it PSX?

>> No.4722290

>>4722268
It was a common nomenclature for the Playstation, especially in the emulation scene. /vr/ has already battled it out over this.

>> No.4722472

>>4721243
> That guy is using the analog stick to aim, C buttons to move. That's a better control scheme to use than using dpad to move, since your right thumb has immediate access to A and B for the weapon switching.
Unless you're left-handed, that's literally the exact opposite of a natural control scheme and unless you're a mega handlet, you should have no problem accessing A/B with your right hand on the middle prong.
>something that Quake 2 N64 doesn't do, no matter which control scheme it has available.
You haven't played it, how would you know?
>it does indeed. Prove me wrong then. still waiting on that "good gameplay" that apparently the entire internet doesn't have and you are unable to produce yourself.
Most people don't have the means to capture good gameplay footage from an N64, that doesn't mean the game controls poorly. Stop being retarded.

>> No.4722476

>best version
>playing it with a gamepad
>and that gamepad is the fucking horrible N64 gamepad
Yeah, NO.

>> No.4722498
File: 163 KB, 731x808, 1500537421082.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>playing any Quake at sub-60 fps
>playing anything that can't even maintain 24 fps

Into the trash it goes.

>> No.4722502

>>4722476
>best version
I mean look, if all you care about is having 60fps and mouse controls, then sure, the PC version is the best. Personally though, framerate and controls don't matter if the actual game isn't fun to play. Enjoy the backtracking, terrible level design and grey corridors my dude.
>horrible N64 gamepad
In other words, you suck at using it.

>> No.4722512
File: 119 KB, 404x403, Your_Brain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4722498
>correlates framerate with good gameplay
>hasn't even played the game so he doesn't know how fast it runs anyway

>> No.4722532
File: 82 KB, 680x680, 5883d4eadf204e247a9271d36e4f4c4da57bf4ce428484ab886fe8e17b2eecc4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4722502
>Enjoy the backtracking, terrible level design
So basically you're saying you don't like classic Id style non-linear maps. Pleb taste.

>grey corridors
Which get brightly illuminated by all the projectiles and explosions, something that the console versions couldn't do because that sort of lighting was too sophisticated for the hardware.

>preferring a console controller and bad, inconsistent framerate over solid and high framerate with mouse precision for aiming

>> No.4722543
File: 1.74 MB, 300x290, whateverfag.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4722532
>So basically you're saying you don't like classic Id style non-linear maps. Pleb taste.
No actually I do, which Quake 2 is not. Quake 1 did. It had labyrinthine level design which encouraged replayability and exploration, Quake 2 is literally just fetching an item from point A and backtracking to point B, usually without an alternate route to explore. Have you actually played these games?
>Which get brightly illuminated by all the projectiles and explosions, something that the console versions couldn't do because that sort of lighting was too sophisticated for the hardware.
>bro the corridors aren't grey cuz muh dynamic lighting that makes them yellow
Holy shit, this might be the funnies thing I've ever read. And by the way, both console versions actually have all of those "sophisticated" lighting effects.
>preferring a console controller and bad, inconsistent framerate over solid and high framerate with mouse precision for aiming
>preferring a bad version of the game just because you can get carpal tunnel

>> No.4722586

>LOL DUDE FRAMERATE
>LOL DUDE MOUSE AND KEYBOARD
>LOL DUDE HORSE PORN MODS
>LOL DUDE ONLINE WITH FAT VIRGINS
i don't even know why half of the people on this board come here. back in the day, nobody gave a fuck about if a game was running at 30fps or 24fps, the game was either fun or it wasn't and nobody, i mean nobody, gave a fuck. i used to play this game all the time as a kid and had a blast. got a pc 2 years later, got the pc version and was bored out of my mind. just so floaty and... red, and brown, and grey. just not fun at all. by that time unreal was already out so i got my online fix from that. still pop this fucker in on occasion but haven't touched pc quake 2 since like 2001

>> No.4722595

>>4720976
man the ps1 version really does suck

>> No.4723071
File: 867 KB, 950x608, 1455480509636.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4722472
>Unless you're left-handed
nope, unless you're retarded. and you weren't playing N64 back in the day, you're a modern kiddy that's used to dual analog configuration where you only aim with the right stick. when modern dual analog controls came out it was literally weird for people at first that were used to aiming with the left thumb on N64. and yes I am right handed. gg my little tourist retard.
>You haven't played it
my eyes work, it's clearly shit

still waiting on the "good gameplay video" faggot ;^)