[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 28 KB, 1920x1080, image.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4711471 No.4711471 [Reply] [Original]

What is it about this game that makes it less pleasant to play than the original Legend of Zelda? It's a geat game but something feels... off.

>> No.4711472

The sword is really stubby. Combat is unsatisfying.

>> No.4711482
File: 280 KB, 600x583, D67579B2-C4EA-46EC-AC5C-D0CE3F35D770.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4711471
Nothing, you stupid faggot.

>> No.4711508

Unlike Zelda 1 where the enemies are not only overwhelming but also spawn randomly, enemies in ALttP are just there. The only way to find something you didn't expect is to get dig up a skull in Dark World or bomb in Light World. At least in 3D Zeldas and later enemies also have AI or the basic mechanics are more complex. It resembles a modern game actually, and this is why I tend not to like SNES games as much. I feel like they started the cinematic trend.

>> No.4711592

>>4711471
Lacks Zelda 1's retro feel, simply put.

>> No.4711645

>>4711471
your shitty taste

>> No.4711698

Zelda 1 has no padding and is more of an action adventure. You can beat it in like, an hour or two if you know where to go and you don't suck.

ALTTP has a lot more text, and mild padding, the dungeons are a bit more puzzling, (and imo, puzzles have always been one of the weaker things in Zelda games ) They the game takes a lot longer to get through than the original. It may have more dungeons, but everything about the game feels overall slower.

I don't think ALTTP is unpleasant by any measure of the word, but I definitely prefer the original NES game to ALTTP. They're both miles better than anything released after the mode 2000's.

>> No.4711707
File: 22 KB, 280x400, 1505687286939.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4711698
>burning bush after bush and bombing wall after wall to uncover secrets
>no padding

>> No.4711893

>>4711471
What is it about contrarians that makes them less pleasant to be around than normal gamers? They're ok at vidya but something feels... off.

>> No.4711898
File: 29 KB, 571x618, 1522429276106.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4711508
>It resembles a modern game actually, and this is why I tend not to like SNES games as much. I feel like they started the cinematic trend.
Imagine it, just try to imagine someone going around holding this opinion.

>> No.4711901

>>4711893
So you're butthurt because his opinion differs slightly from yours.

I mean, if he created a tanting thread about how some sega or sony IP was miles better than zelda, i could see maybe responding like you did, but come on.

He likes both games, likes the original more and he's a contrarian? Why? Because he didn't mention and praise the go-to nintendo fag god game OoT?
Maybe he should say "I like original Zelda more than AlttP" in the next unpopular opinions thread...

Jesus, you fags are too sensitive sometimes.

>> No.4711910

>>4711901
>Goes on a tirade in response to an obvious joke at OP's expense
>Jesus, you fags are too sensitive sometimes.
I don't know who's baiting who.

>> No.4712007

>>4711471
handholding and a more forced narrative which interrupts gameplay on occasion

>> No.4712062

>>4711910

>It was all merely a jest!

>> No.4712081

>>4711471
I grew up with LTTP, was my introduction to the series and rekindled my love affair with gaming after years of playing shiteware on zx spectrum/amiga 500, but in hindsight, the aesthetics of the first game are so much more pleasing.

>> No.4712120

>>4711471
wtf are u talking about ??? seriously bro go back to the doctor

>> No.4712149

>>4711471
rong

>> No.4712206

it's too good for its own good

>> No.4712319

>>4711707
>le burn every bush and bomn every wall maymay XD
You literally only need to burn ONE bush and bomb ONE wall to complete the game. Everything else is optional hidden stuff. In a game about exploration.

>> No.4712410

>>4711471
lol, I think you got that backwards. To me the original Zelda is a chore to play. It didn't age well. ALTTP is absolutely timeless though and can never not be great.

>> No.4712412

Oh, it's the weekly ALttP hate thread.

It's ok not to like things anon, you don't need /vr/ to validate your taste.

>> No.4712414
File: 119 KB, 404x403, Your_Brain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4712319
>it isn't padding if you aren't forced to do it

>> No.4712418

>>4711592
Came here to say this.

>> No.4712420

>>4712414
It's literally not. Do you consider any game with optional content padding? The main quest in Zelda 1 is pretty fucking streamlined, if you know what you're doing. Everything else is optional.

>> No.4712446
File: 21 KB, 489x328, 1501380711166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4712420
>a game focused on exploration is easy if you already know where to go

>> No.4712881

>>4711471

Nothing. The game is good as is. OFT is literally walking across an empty big patch of land between places until you get the flute.

>> No.4712884

>>4711592
So you mean outdated and inferior? You be right

>> No.4713023

>>4712446
>games with exploration and optional content are bad
What's wrong with you?

>> No.4713060

>>4711471
The problem is between the controller and the chair.

>> No.4713098

>>4713060
>he doesn't play in bed

>> No.4713109

>>4713060
The problem is between the controller and the TV. The console that is. The SNES is nu-male trash. It only has five good games, all of which are either first-party or some Final Fantasy normie shit. The Mega Drive is infinitely better. It's got hundreds of good games.

>> No.4713114

>>4713023
That's not what he's saying, retard. Of course the game will be streamlined if you know what you're doing. If you don't, then you're encouraged to explore and think of creative ways to find out aspects of the game, i.e. burning bushes and bombing walls. I don't necessarily agree that it's padding, but at least read what he's saying if you're trying to debate.

>> No.4713131

yeah I feel ya OP. I played through a beat it like twice in my entire life. I sometimes try again and I quickly get bored. I don't get the love for this game, it's decent, but not that great. meanwhile I've played through and beaten LOZ 30+ times and OOT / MM both at least a dozen times.

>> No.4713280

>>4711471
There's more mystery and exploration in the original Zelda. The game and all of its mechanics are extremely tight. All the rules and mechanics of the game are introduced within the first couple of levels, and the rest of the game is about creating interesting puzzles and challenging combat scenarios based on those simple rules. Difficulty escalates gradually and consistently, introducing simple enemies and simple environments, then more difficult enemies and more difficult environments, then more difficult enemies in more difficult environments.

The game is very open-ended while still guiding the player towards the most reasonable challenges first. The game allows a lot of exploration and sequence-skipping. Except for the two panels that require the raft, every portion of the world map is accessible without entering a single dungeon, even though players may not realize it the first time through. Level 8 (of 9) can be completed any time. You need the ladder to actually complete 5, 6, but you can enter them and obtain their treasures (the whistle and the magic wand) without it. ALTTP is still an open-ended game but it has a much more linear structure than LoZ.

Also, while Link gets more powerful as you play, the challenge remains very balanced and there are no game-breaking items or abilities in LoZ. In ALTTP, you have things like the Ether Medallion / Hammer combo that trivializes the combat in substantial segments of the game.

>> No.4713286

>>4711698
>more dungeons in aLttP
Nope. Original has 18. aLttP has, if I'm remembering correctly, 11 or 12, depending on if you consider Hyrule castle a dungeon or not.
What you /can/ say, however, is that aLttP dungeons take much more time to complete than do tLoZ dungeons.

I still prefer tLoZ. Not quite sure why. Nostalgia goggles, maybe.

>> No.4713287

>>4712410
Original Zelda has aged far better than A Link to the Past. I can't imagine what must bother you if you find it a "chore" to play yet still like A Link to the Past.

>> No.4713292

>>4712319
Pretty sure you've gotta bomb more than that. And don't forget the walls you have to walk through to complete certain dungeons.

>> No.4713294

>>4712414
One of the best parts about original Zelda is how you didn't have to be either completely autistic or have a strategy guide to find the secrets in the game. Trial-and-error for bombing and burning was a legitimate method of exploration. Compare to A Link to the Past where the game puts a big sign on a wall saying "BOMB HERE," just make sure you hit it with your sword first if you don't want to waste one of your 50 bombs.

>> No.4713330

>>4713114
No, only retards think bombing and burning bushes in the original Zelda represents some kind of horrible and tedious gameplay mechanic. As you play, you come across a large but limited number of places that can hide potential secrets. Unlike A Link to the Past, where these locations need to be telegraphed with a crack in the wall or some specially designed world element like a colored stone or a peg, in the Legend of Zelda they are the basic components of the world. The world is built from wall tiles, bush tiles, and rock tiles in addition to the basic ground. Some walls can be bombed, some bushes can be burned, some rocks can be pushed. A bit of experimentation and reasoning can rule out angled walls as well as inaccessible rocks and bushes. Further observation will suggest that there's never more than one door or staircase on a map panel, meaning you can rule out any walls and bushes on a location that already has one. Then, it just comes down to checking a new bush or wall every time you pass through a map location with no other secrets on it (all rocks can be checked as soon as you have the power bracelet).

>> No.4713361

>>4713330
You know what Zelda game did exploration correctly? Ocarina of Time. You could progress through the main quest without doing any autistic shit, you could do some of the optional but still fairly obvious side content like capacity upgrades or hidden grottos under boulders, but then there were a lot of hidden secrets which could only be uncovered by experimenting. For example, playing song of storms for a plant will produce fairies, killing a skull kid will reward you with 200 rupees, placing a bomb in front of a baby dodongo will attract it like bait, killing enough of one enemy type will cause a big one to appear, etc. That's the way to do it. You aren't forced to do anything unfun, but there's also plenty of hidden things to uncover if you decide to seek them out.

Now, your argument is that doing something fucking tedious isn't tedious just because you aren't forced to do it. Sure, if all you want to do is just beat the game, you don't have to bomb every wall and burn every bush... but that's not the point. You still have to do a bunch of mindless, repetitive shit just to uncover the secrets, whereas in a game like OoT, finding secrets is much more experimental. Imagine if instead of doing all of those things I mentioned, the majority of OoT's secrets were found by running alongside the walls of Hyrule Field and hitting them with your sword until one sounded different and then you bombed it. Imagine if 90% of the game's secrets were like that. It would fucking suck. And that's what Zelda 1 does. Zelda 1 isn't tedious because it makes you do annoying shit to beat the game, it's tedious because all of the good stuff is locked away behind unfun, repetitive gameplay mechanics that are utilized ad nauseum.

>> No.4713367

>>4713292
Walking through walls is only in the second quest. In the first quest, the map is a pretty reliable reference when trying to figure out whether you should try bombing a wall. In the first 3 dungeons, all walls with rooms on both sides can be bombed. In later dungeons, some walls are indestructible and there are a few unmarked rooms. But usually, the unmarked rooms are rather conspicuous on the map.

For a quick example, in level 5 there are a total of 10 doorless walls with a room on the other side. A hole can be bombed in 5 of those walls. That's a 50% success rate if you play smart. Given how many enemies in the level drop bombs, you don't even need to go into the dungeon with more than the standard 8.

>> No.4713376

>>4713367
>only in the second quest
Coulda sworn L9 had a few in Q1. Even if they're only in Q2, that doesn't invalidate the point.
I'll have to replay the game to count how many times you absolutely have to use bombs between the two quests as well as whether Q1L9 had false walls or not.

>> No.4713406

>>4713361
> Imagine if OoT's secrets were found by running alongside the walls of Hyrule Field
Of course what you describe would suck, but that's because Hyrule Field sucks. It's empty and boring.

The overworld of Legend of Zelda does not suck. It is dense with content of all sorts. The exploration is integrated with the combat gameplay. There's plenty there to discover before you ever need to bomb anything. In Ocarina you have a lot of boring risk-free tasks to complete that just reward you being a good little retard and collecting fish for jabu jabu or whatever. In LoZ, you enter a new location, clear out the enemies and check for secrets as resources allow. Then you move on to the next location where you have new enemies to fight and new spots to check for secrets. Since you can't check every single spot on the first pass, you take note of locations with good potential and come back when you have more bombs.

Also, unlike Ocarina, as you grow accustomed to the mechanics of the game you realize there are a bunch of rules that are not likely to be broken that allows you to prioritize your search. Doors won't be on the very edge. Doors won't be on angled wall tiles. There's only one door per screen.

>> No.4713429

>>4713406
> Hyrule Field sucks. It's empty and boring.
Hyrule Field is a hub by which to connect areas, that's it.
>The overworld of Legend of Zelda does not suck
Neither does OoT's overworld, because Hyrule Field isn't the only part of it.
>It is dense with content of all sorts.
So is OoT's.
>There's plenty there to discover before you ever need to bomb anything.
That doesn't make your other methods of exploration/experimentation any less tedious.
> In Ocarina you have a lot of boring risk-free tasks to complete that just reward you being a good little retard and collecting fish for jabu jabu or whatever.
Except that has nothing to do with side content, that's just a part of the main quest. You're criticizing the main quest for having fucking objectives, you realize that? Ironically, Zelda 1 rewards you for being good a little retard by making you attack walls over and over just to find anything of substance that isn't associated with the main quest.
>In LoZ, you enter a new location, clear out the enemies and check for secrets as resources allow.
So... like every other Zelda game?
>Then you move on to the next location where you have new enemies to fight and new spots to check for secrets. Since you can't check every single spot on the first pass, you take note of locations with good potential and come back when you have more bombs.
So your argument for why Zelda 1's secrets are better, is because you're forced to keep backtracking to old locations because you don't have enough bombs? Wow, great gameplay.
>Also, unlike Ocarina, as you grow accustomed to the mechanics of the game you realize there are a bunch of rules that are not likely to be broken that allows you to prioritize your search. Doors won't be on the very edge. Doors won't be on angled wall tiles. There's only one door per screen.
So now you're actually criticizing OoT for not being repetitive enough? LOL, holy shit man, just listen to yourself.

You have fun bombing those walls my dude.

>> No.4713515

>>4713330
Literally everything you said I summed up in one sentence. Again, you're not reading what everyone is saying. Stop sucking Zelda 1's cock and have some self awareness.

>> No.4713527

>>4711471
Link's Awakening is better.

Even though nobody in the fucking world has heard of it except me.

>> No.4713574
File: 80 KB, 211x244, 739[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4713527
>sold over a combined 6 million units in its lifetime
>"dude it's pretty obscure"

>> No.4713576

>>4713574
I was talking facetiously.

It's just that nobody ever talks about it. It's always Link To The Past, or Ocarina of Time, or whatever. Everyone forgets the one right in the middle.

>> No.4713698

>>4711898
It's objectively not a reddit opinion

>> No.4714063

>>4713515
You're defending a retarded and irrelevant point about streamlined play. The placement of secrets in the game is well-balanced to encourage gradual progression through the game in roughly the right order. Obviously the secrets aren't padding, that's what the game is. Just some secrets are more exciting than others.

>> No.4714065

>>4713527
>>4713576
No, it's not like every fucking week we have plenty of LA threads at all. Not at all.

>> No.4714107

>>4713429
>Hyrule Field is a connection hub
Have you considered how many walls you can try bombing in Zelda 1 during the amount of time you spend simply running across Hyrule Field? I don't think you have.
>So is OoT's
No, it simply isn't. I'm not sure you understand what "density" means. Even pretending Hyrule field isn't there, OoT's overworld is not anywhere near as dense as LoZ, ALTTP, or Link's Awakening.
>You're criticizing the main quest for having fucking objectives
I'm criticizing a main quest that involves completion of arbitrary assigned tasks and minigames to open the way forward in place of well-integrated exploration and combat gameplay.
>So your argument for why Zelda 1's secrets are better, is because you're forced to keep backtracking to old locations
At this point it's pretty obvious you've never actually played the game. In LoZ (as well as ALTTP) you're always going back and forth between locations. When content is dense, this is actually fun to do. You usually have multiple objectives and possibilities at any given time, bombing walls and burning bushes is just something you do as you pass through on your way somewhere else. You can find 5 of the game's 9 dungeons through simple wandering, and all 5 are accessible from the start. Later on, two different warping methods are available to get around the map even more quickly.

Of course if you're coming from an Ocarina mindset, the idea of backtracking through old areas sounds tedious. That's because so many of the areas are inherently tedious once the novelty is gone.

>> No.4714113

>>4713576
>Everyone forgets the one right in the middle.
Sort of true. I don't forget that it exists, I just don't remember many details about it since I only played it once through on the original game boy. I've played LoZ and ALTTP many times over the years.

>> No.4714653

>>4713294
>Trial-and-error for bombing and burning was a legitimate method of exploration
>you didn't have to be either completely autistic or have a strategy guide
These two statements contradict each other.

>> No.4714672

>>4714107
>Have you considered how many walls you can try bombing in Zelda 1
This has nothing to do with the point that Hyrule Field isn't meant to be an area you spend egregious amounts of time in.
>No, it simply isn't.
Uh yes, it is. In fact, it may very well be the most content-dense game in the series. 30 hidden grottos, numerous upgrade quests, all of the optional items like bottles, spells, songs, biggoron sword, etc., not to mention many of the lesser known secrets which i mentioned in a previous post. If you really want me to debate this, I'll happily drum up a full list and you can see how wrong you are. Almost every area of OoT is filled with secrets and things to find, many of which aren't easily apparent unless you experiment, such as wearing different masks in front of different NPCs or playing different songs in particular places.
>I'm criticizing a main quest
What a retarded statement. "arbitrary assigned tasks", it's called a game my dude. You could call any goal or objective an "arbitrary assigned task". Either you're talking about the main quest, in which case both OoT and Zelda 1 require you to do simple and mundane things to progress the main questline, or you're talking about side content, in which case OoT offers a wide variety of ways to explore and uncover secrets, and Zelda 1 does not.
>At this point it's pretty obvious you've never actually played the game.
You're the one who said being forced to run out of resources and backtrack through old areas was a good gameplay mechanic, not me.
>When content is dense, this is actually fun to do.
Lmao, now this is laughable. You're literally equating repetition to density. No, density is when you have plenty to uncover, not when you have to play like an autistic to uncover it. Frankly, it sounds like you haven't even played OoT, because OoT actually has a ton of areas with secrets that can't be accessed until later in the game, it just doesn't force you to access them by doing tedious shit.

>> No.4714705

>>4711471
I actually feel the opposite. But it was my first Zelda. I didn't play Zelda 1 until much later and found it awkward.

>> No.4714713

>>4714065
Normie's forget it. OoT may as well be Zelda 4 to them.

>> No.4714718

So are we only judging these games based on the first time playthroughs and that's it?

I love both games dearly, I really do, but Zelda 1 is the game I want to replay more because it's fast paced and done in a single afternoon.

>> No.4715036

For me, it's usually the amount of unnecessary content and dialogue. A lot of Lincc to the Piss't attempts redundant humo(u)r and tried to take itself ultra seriously at the same time. Granted, I like it more than the original, but it's just superficial in its approach.

>> No.4715056

>>4714672
>This has nothing to do with the point that Hyrule Field isn't meant to be an area you spend egregious amounts of time in.
D00d, by the time it takes to walk from one side of the area to another, I could tape the up direction on the controller, go take a piss, and it STILL won't get to the other side by the time I'm done squirting my dingdong.

>> No.4715105

>>4714713
>OoT may as well be Zelda 1

Fix'd. Normies don't give a fuck about 2D Zelda. Or any Zelda that tells a lame story and is only fun on the first play through.

>> No.4715269

playing albw first ruined alttp for me, it just feels like a slog in comparison.

>> No.4715678

>>4715056
>D00d, by the time it takes to walk from one side of the area to another, I could tape the up direction on the controller, go take a piss, and it STILL won't get to the other side by the time I'm done squirting my dingdong.
I guess you're right. It's too bad the devs forgot to implement some kind of means of quick transportation. You know, like, like... a horse, or... or magical songs that let you warp to different places instantly... hmm...

>> No.4715696

>>4715678
I don't even bother with the horses or fast travel, OOT Hyrule isn't even that big.

>> No.4715712

>>4713109
>that kid who got a mega drive/genesis from his parents
I'm sure they still loved you anon.

>> No.4716213

>>4715105
>Or any Zelda that tells a lame story and is only fun on the first play through.
I've played lttp many times over and I'd say that game really holds up.

>> No.4717078

>>4714672
Holy shit this is exhibit A for why Ocarina fans are so insufferably obnoxious. I'm beginning to think that not only haven't you played the original LoZ, but you haven't even played any game besides the 3D Zeldas.
>Content-dense
You just confirmed you don't understand what density means. Content-dense means that the content is compact. Baldur's Gate, for example, has a lot of content, but it's not consistently dense. It's sequel, Baldur's Gate 2, is far more dense, even if you simply compare an equivalent amount of gameplay. In BG1, encounters are rare in substantial portions of its overworld. Passing through those areas is meant to give a sense of scale and also to raise tension in anticipation of the encounters that do happen. In BG2, the open areas are largely eliminated and every zone is designed to be compact and full of encounters. Both games have their fans, and they can debate the merits of each one because its players aren't too stupid to understand what "content-dense" means.
> You could call any goal or objective an arbitrary assigned tasks
You could if you were a retard. In Z1, you have one task: Beat Ganon and save Zelda. To get into Ganon's lair you need to find the 8 hidden pieces of Triforce. That's it. That's the only "task." Everything in between is gameplay, characterized by a pattern of challenge, risk, and reward.

There's no risk and involved in the Cucco roundup, that Cucco minigame at Lon Lon ranch, playing Simon Says in the Lost Woods, obtaining a fish for Jabu Jabu. You MUST complete these to proceed (you can skip one of the bottles).
>being forced to run out of resources
Jesus Christ you are a dumb fuck. What is the point of a resource if there's no chance it can run out?
>You're the one who said
I didn't bring up backtracking, you did which is proof you don't understand Z1.

>> No.4717117 [DELETED] 

LttP is the second greatest game ever made. Don't diss it.

>> No.4717130

>>4711471

links awakening did everything right that this game did wrong

>> No.4717132 [DELETED] 

>>4717130
Which is nothing? Correct.

>> No.4717138

>>4717078
You're blatantly ignoring what I'm saying and cherrypicking anything you think bolsters your argument, so let me just dial it back and make this simple.

First of all, Ocarina of Time has a lot of content. But that isn't the point of contention for you, right? Your point is that Zelda 1 is better because it is "layered" so to speak -- as in, you'll visit an area once, and either not have enough resources or the required item to access some of that area's content, meaning you have a reason to return at a later time, and thereby making the experience more "dense" and extending the value of each area. Furthermore, you're saying that OoT is an inferior game because it lacks this quality... right? With me so far?

Well, there are two problems. The first problem is, OoT actually does the same thing, and you're pretending it doesn't. There are many instances in which you will walk into an area, be able to access a limited amount of that area's content, and then have to return again once you have a certain item so that you can access the rest.

The second issue is that you're pretending Zelda 1's version of this same system is somehow more interesting. It isn't. It's repetitive as fuck. This kind of layering in OoT manifests itself in having you do lots of different things, whether that be wearing a mask and planting a seed, or playing a song, or bombing a wall, or lighting a torch, etc. In Zelda 1, the number of ways that you access the layered content are minimal. This is why the game has a reputation for bombing and burning -- because those are your primary means by which to explore and unlock the "density" you speak of.

I get it, Zelda 1 is your favorite game and you feel the need to defend it, but pretending that OoT is somehow lacking in density, content or interactivity simply isn't an opinion based in reality.

>> No.4717151

>>4717138
i like how he started screaming ad hominems and you calmly and systematically dismantled his entire argument. well done.

>> No.4717185

>>4714653
You might think so if you never played the game yourself without a strategy guide or have an attention span <5 seconds (roughly the time it takes to use 5 bombs to check an entire map location for secrets). The apparent contradiction is resolved when you account for content design and gameplay mechanics. As you play through the game pursuing other objectives, you drop a bomb or two on suspicious walls as you go. Sometimes you'll be rewarded with a discovery, which is usually 30 rupees or a shop. The game includes hints for many of its secrets and the important ones are all very easy to find.

>> No.4717267

>>4717138
OoT isn't lacking in content and I never said it was. The point is that if you try to hide secrets in OoT the way you hide them in Z1, then it's obviously going to suck because the game is so much more spread out.
>Your point is that Zelda 1 is better because it is "layered" ... thereby making the experience more "dense"
No, density and "layering" are separate things. Density (specifically the density of risk, danger, and decisions-with-consequences) is what makes the layering work. Even simply running across the overworld map in Z1 requires that you evade enemies the whole way, even if you don't fight them all.
> Furthermore, you're saying that OoT is an inferior game because it lacks this quality
If I implied it was inferior, it was tongue-in-cheek. Ocarina definitely picks up once Link gets the Master Sword, but it's still slower than the original with lots of time-wasting activities.
>pretending Zelda 1's version of this same system is more interesting.
You're pretending that you can ignore combat altogether when that's the core difference between the two games. The experience of running through the overworld in Z1 is absolutely, fundamentally, different from running through the overworld in Ocarina, because almost every location on the Z1 overworld is full of enemies that can hurt you. If you don't like the action in Z1, well there you have it. You won't like the game and it has nothing remotely to do with burning bushes and bombing walls.

>>4717151
Flaming an idiot who injected OoT in a thread about 2D zelda is not ad hominem if it doesn't replace the argument. He ignored the entire point about risk and combat and invented a bunch of false equivalences. You praising him is just pathetic.

>> No.4717278

>>4717267
>Flaming an idiot who injected OoT in a thread about 2D zelda is not ad hominem if it doesn't replace the argument. He ignored the entire point about risk and combat and invented a bunch of false equivalences. You praising him is just pathetic.
you just come off as a petulant fag, to be honest.

>> No.4718289 [DELETED] 

I want to talk about A Link to the Past.

>> No.4718295

>>4715678
>oversizes it
>puts in an unnecessary horse to compensate
>smacking dat luscious horse ass to go faster

>ALttP fast travel was just clicking a button
>OoT's was a convoluted gimmick meant for rhythm game fags

>ALttP still has more items in the inventory

>> No.4718438 [DELETED] 
File: 238 KB, 1920x1080, IMG_20180414_220433.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Only one thing can save this thread

>> No.4718529

>>4711471
everything before the dark world opens up isn't that fun, especially the initial castle rescue mission. every time i think of starting up another file, thinking of doing that section again turns me off a little

>> No.4719154

>>4718295
No, (you)

>> No.4719824

>>4717278
You come off like a passive-aggressive cocksucking fag. Why shouldn't I be irritated by ignorant hyperbolic criticism?

>> No.4719827

>>4718295
>calls riding a horse a "convoluted rhythm game"

christ

>> No.4719859

i cant imagine anyone reading through this entire thread and not thinking it was a huge waste of time

>> No.4719906

Most of these threads are a huge wast of time anon. Once you learn to not argue with the hard headed about things you obviously don't see eye to eye on, you've basically solved the riddles.

>> No.4720193

>>4719827
He's referring to the ocarina gimmick, which always made things more tedious and boring when it was involved. It's why nobody liked the Water Temple-- in addition to the whole "boot switching" thing, whenever you needed to raise or lower the water, it couldn't just be a simple prompt, it had to be "play a shitty song and then the game repeats what you just did" garbage. Shadows of what would be the horrible Wind Waker.

>> No.4720209

>>4712319
How would you know you had to burn just one bush or bomb one wall if you never played the game before? Youd only discover it by bombing and burning every thing?

>> No.4720215

>>4711471
Honestly I regret making this thread. Instead of comparing two good games I should have just discussed what made my preferred game great.
Mea culpa.

>> No.4720582

combat is garbage

>> No.4720646

>>4717278
>even with samefagging and replying to my own shitposts i still got my asshole blown the fuck out all over the thread
Don't mind me. I'm just here to laugh at you for a moment, and then I'll be off.

>> No.4720834

Combat and exploration are both easier