[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 74 KB, 1280x720, silent-hill.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4702497 No.4702497 [Reply] [Original]

Help me out here. My playstation 1 died recently I was thinking since I have ps2 and ps3 that I can play mine ps1 games on those rather getting new ps1.

Now I know there is list that some games are not compatible with some of these consoles but is there any with also show there are glitches/bugs in games too? Or should I just get ps1 so I can play worry free?

Just booted Diablo on my ps3 and music start skiping after few minutes, same with dialog and some sound effects while ps2 dosen't. have any problems so far.

>> No.4702506
File: 22 KB, 485x443, 3128A452-8182-42E6-8AF6-3D9530351D2F.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i cant imagine what its like to have a little pea brain wracked with thoughts like what plays ps1 games the “best”. just use your ps2 if it skips on ps3 you retard

>> No.4702524

PS3 uses an emulator for PS1 games, and it's pretty ass.

PS2 has some hardware low-level emulation in the later models.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCMzW3Yat1s

There are differences, as you can see on this video. The latest the PS Driver, the better. Latest is 2.00 I THINK, which is the version found in the SCPH-9xxxx series.

>> No.4702529

I said it in the last Silent Hill dithering/afine mapping bait thread and I'll say it again. In 2018 (and 2017) the best way to play PS1 games is through emulation with PGXP

>> No.4702541

>>4702529
It isn't bait, and you should get fucked to death for being a worthless attention whore tripfag.

Other than that, fuck your dumb shit, your PGXP won't do shit for 2D games, or games with 2D backgrounds, it won't help with the horribly pixelized upscaled 2D elements in a 3D games (including Silent Hill).

If you're gonna drop your shitty opinion as truth, then I'll do the same (except mine isn't shitty because I'm not a faggot): the best way to play PS1 games is with a PS2 console with component or composite cable with a 29"+ CRT TV.

>> No.4702559
File: 685 KB, 1122x1122, 610[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4702541
Were we discussing 2D games? They're a tiny fraction of PS1 games but it's true they'll look better on a CRT in their native hard resolution. In fact, I'm currently configuring the emulation rig I'll be installing in my Sente SAC-1 including a 90s VGA CRT. I'm quite a CRT guy really but if you think a CRT does 3D games any favors there's something wrong with your eyes and/or brain.

2D images benefit from scanlines only when they line up, at even integers of their native resolution not when they're textures being scaled and rotated over under around and through - but they definitely can from internal filtering.

>> No.4702573

>>4702559
>Were we discussing 2D games?
Why not, you piece of shit. Way to make your bullshit easier to justify.

PS1 polygons at native resolution are nowhere near as shaky as higher resolution emulation. That right there is one reason to use native res, and no CRT filter in the world will do a better job than a CRT TV.

Also, 2D elements in 3D games still look horrible in higher resolution. And that's every single PS1 game, none of them uses vertex graphics, only 2D fixed graphics.

The only situation in which your gay hack is useful is when running at higher resolution, which will benefit only entirely 3D games, but the 2D elements will always look bad.

Now if you can't stand playing at native res and need higher resolution, that's just you being a huge faggot. Also, take your meme and fuck off back to r/the_donald or whatever cesspit you just crawled out of.

>> No.4702597

>>4702524
I see thanks for that, happy now as well cause I got my component cable for ps2 and I don't have spare space for CRT TV for now. Was hoping that ps3 be good for emulation cause wireless controller I have and my ps2 controller getting old now.
>>4702529
>>4702559
Thing is that with emulator, I only have a laptop and with little space I have and consoles I got is bit pain to getting it pluged to tv all the time plus I like playing games I collect. Then agian emulation was only way for me to play catlevania since that game is bastard to find cheap on ebay

>> No.4702604

>>4702573
You clearly don't understand internal upscaling and perspective correction whatsoever and yet you insist on opining on the subject. Why? Just because you're anon and can instantly dissociate yourself from any dumb ignorant shit you say if and when you realize how dumb and ignorant it is?

>> No.4702614

>>4702604
Only you is worried about having any cred here you redditor fuck. 2D elements will always look pixelized at higher res, like text, health bars, menus, etc. Fact.

>> No.4702621

>>4702597
Emulators can play original PS1 games from disc or burned games too, which may be nice when and if you softmod your PS2. If you have to play on an HDTV though emulation is inarguably the way to go whether on PS3 or preferably PC. Anon will probably argue that everybody has room for a 14" CRT which I tend to somewhat agree with but unlike him I'm not going to attack you if you choose to play on HDTV. There are best practices for everyone's preferred play method.

>> No.4702624

>>4702529
>I'll say it again
Just in case someone who saw it the first time didn't realize it was bad advice coming from one of the most ignorant tripfags on the board? Might be your single most useful contribution here ever.

>> No.4702659

>>4702614
>giving up the myriad benefits of PS1 emulation to avoid the text "looking pixelized"
Your argument is dumb and you should feel dumb. Even if you subjectively prefer to play PS1 games at 240p on a CRT they will still objectively and dramatically benefit from perspective correction.

>> No.4702715

>>4702659
>objectively
kids. lol

>> No.4702728
File: 21 KB, 479x217, affine-mapping[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4702715
I challenge you to make any argument to support use of affine mapping now that it has been corrected.

>> No.4702768

>>4702728
Those are different visual styles. Art is not about being realistic. Mapping being affine might actually be somehow relevant to the core theme of the game as of an artistic statement (whether any games do that, is another issue altogether).

>> No.4702776

>>4702497
All of this is for PAL, so there's likely to be differences if you're NTSC
Speaking from experience, PS3 emulates a very sizeable chunk of the PS1 library well. There's games that have some graphical and sound issues like Silent Hill and Dragon Valor but they can be completed. Then there's stuff that's unplayable like Destrega and X-files and then there's stuff that plain doesn't work like Ape Escape
Using a PS2 works pretty well for some of those but if I remember correctly, X-Files and Ape Escape still don't work, or at least not on Slim models
The best course of action for you is to try the game on PS3 and if it doesn't work try it on PS2. If the PS2 still can't play it, try emulating the game on PC
If not even that works, then consider whether it's worthwhile to buy a PS1 for the game or games you're trying to play and then make a decision. For what it's worth, PS1s aren't very expensive yet so if your game library consists mostly of things that don't work on anything but a PS1, you likely won't get burned too much by picking one up

>> No.4702779

>>4702768
Affine mapping is not a visual style it's a compromise. There are no circumstances hypothetical or otherwise in which it serves as anything other than an impediment to expression and quite an inconsistent one at that. If you can find a single example of a game that looks better with it than correct mapping I'll be shocked.

>> No.4702780

>>4702506
>guys doing it for free create better PS emulator than fucking Sony

This is why those squinty kikes don't deserve any money

>> No.4703768

>>4702728
I'll give you two arguments. It hasn't been "corrected" in original hardware and only autistic emubabies like you loose sleep over it.

>> No.4704332

>>4702768
>affine might actually be somehow relevant to the core theme of the game as of an artistic statement
Now that's just retarded. Give me an example

>> No.4704531

>>4704332
OP picture

>> No.4704559

>>4704332
Not that guy, but Medievil feels more burtonesque.

>> No.4706575

>>4702541
I'm dying to know why specifically 29

>> No.4707730

PSIO
no more skipping or disc errors

>> No.4707754

I like to use my PSP Go, hooked up to my crt via component. Can play using a Dualshock 3 and displays games at 240p.

>> No.4708096

>>4706575
Because he's too intellagent to fall for the PVMeme, No doubt.