[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 314 KB, 1024x768, MarkIII.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4698289 No.4698289 [Reply] [Original]

Oi /vr/, I wanna get into SMS/Mark III, what's the best way to go about this as someone living in the US? Was thinking about getting a Mark III so I can also play SG-1000 games without having to buy one (assuming you can't get an adapter to play them on an NTSC/PAL SMS), and then getting an adapter to play regular SMS games on a Mark III. I also heard there's no region lock, so could I just get a NTSC SMS and import PAL/JP games? What would you guys recommend to access the most games, google isn't very helpful in terms of cross compatibility. Thanks.

>> No.4698301

>>4698289
BlueMSX

>> No.4698319

>>4698289
It would be cheaper to get a US SMS and an EverDrive; that will cover you for SG-1000 and SMS games. I feel you though, I really want an SG-1000 but I just can't justify it.

>> No.4698451

>>4698319
i used to have a rather extensive sg-1000 collection. got most of my games on the cheap from a colecovision developer who sold sg-1000 ports

it's good for collecting but there's only so much to play. SEGA Pitfall 2 is great though i got a 100% on it a couple times

>> No.4698605

>>4698451
>there's only so much to play
That's my concern, and what is there to play is rather expensive. I love the design of the machine and look and feel of the games though. I suppose I could pick up a Colecovision if I ever stumble on a cheap one. It kind of blows my mind how good the Space Invaders port is on the SG-1000 though, especially compared to the Famicom one.

>> No.4698745

Just bite the bullet and buy a Japanese Master System to have FM support from the beginning or you'll end up spending $50+ for an SMSFM module.

There is a flash cart for MegaDrive that has its own FM synth in it but you still don't get SG-1000 compatibility. I have a Colecovision already which most SG-1000 exclusives have been ported to so unless a Master System fell in my lap or someone offered to trade me an FM Master System for my Power Base Converter I'll probably never delve into Sega 8-bits again as cool as they are.

>> No.4699876

I've got a Master System but I wish it was a Mark III to go with my Famicom - I love how they both hold the controllers on the sides.