[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 243 KB, 640x480, img_13.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4667540 No.4667540 [Reply] [Original]

Any moonfags played Final Fantasy VII in nip?
How hard is it to understand? I'm learning moon, and I'm about halfway through learning the jouyou kanji, and I have a decent amount of vocab. Am I ready, and if not how do I become good enough?

>> No.4667591

>>4667540

>moonfags
>nip
>moon
>vocab

Can't you write like a normal person? Please kys.

>> No.4667610

How much of this makes sense to you
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Vocabulary/Videogame
Play a shitty throwaway fantasy game or VN first

>> No.4667613

>>4667610
I understand 80% of the reading column and about 40% just from the kanji column. hmm. Any easy VN suggestions?

>> No.4667638

Just play whatever you want and look up every kanji you need to. It's what I did. You don't learn and then read, you learn as you read.

>> No.4667645

>>4667613
I read Flyable Heart as my first VN because I heard it was very easy and hated it. Just pick one that you don't think will bore you to tears. The whole point of reading VNs for Japanese practice is how fast you can look up words you don't know.

>> No.4667923

Off topic but has anyone made a Japanese region PSP eboot of any of the PSX Final Fantasy games?

>> No.4667937

>>4667591
Using the word "vocab" is fine but otherwise, yeah. Type like a normal person.

>> No.4667946

Hey guys look how cool I am I’m learning Japanese just to play a video game because I’m a friendless loser with no life and plenty of free time to sit around and do nothing. Not only that once I learn I’m gonna waste even more time playing an overrated 20 year old game so that I can understand the 1% of the game that’s I missed by playing the English version.

>> No.4667954

>>4667946
should i send an ambulance mate? seems like ur having a fit

>> No.4667957

>>4667946
Imagine being this bitter about someone attempting to better himself.

Sure, he could have taken the 5 minutes required to just download the first disc and boot it up in an emulator, but you're miles more pathetic than him.

But hey, you're enough of a brainlet to think that an infamously dodgy translation like FF7 is only 1% different from the original. Bearing in mind the fact that optimal, top quality level translations can maybe hit a 95% translation under ideal circumstances from J>E, how delusional can you get?

>> No.4667960

>>4667591
Calling Japanese "Moonrunes" is ancient fucking 4chan culture newfag, quit dumbposting.

>>4667946
>spends at least an hour a day shitposting on 4chan
>thinks he has any right to criticize others for how they spend their free time

>> No.4667969

>>4667540
It's probably easy enough to get through but it depends on how far in you are. If you get stuck on a kanji you've never seen before, use your phone's Google Translate camera option to find out what it is.

You may want to start with a game that has more voice acting and/or furigana though. I recently finished Rockman Dash (Mega Man Legends) which has a lot of voice acting and pretty easy vocab, and am now on the sequel which also has lots of voice acting plus furigana. It's great. I'm playing them on PSP though, not sure if the original has furigana support.

Also, the Tales of Phantasia PSP port has voice acting and a script you can find online.

>>4667610
Awful suggestion, VNs are usually far more complicated and hard to read than JRPGs.

>> No.4667973

>>4667946
And then there's this guy.

Nothing wrong with starting with a game you've already played to improve your vocab. Once you build up the right proficiency you can move on to stuff that may not have been translated yet, which is often the end goal.

Learning a foreign language is probably better for your brain than shitposting on 4chan anyways, so I guess the jokes on you.

>> No.4668034

>>4667946
Oh nice, was wondering what held up the usual shitty nineties localization militant white knight.

>> No.4668037

>>4667960
It’s call commuting to work and instead of slapping the person next to me it’s easier to come on here and shit on spineless losers like yourself.

>>4667973
Yeah that’s why I was out in Japan actually learning the langaugr and going out and talking to people. You know, go outside? Talk to someone and look them in the face? Not some pathetic faggot who sits at his computer all day playing video games and jerking off to anime characters.

>> No.4668038

>>4667591
lurk moar

>> No.4668050

>>4668037
>being an ALT
You're beyond scum, dude. Go throw yourself in front of a fucking train.

I don't think there's anything more embarrassing than a child who is conversationally fluent at absolute best crying about someone trying to actually read something. I'm sure you're really enjoying Japan a whole bunch if you're sat on 4chan talking to EOPs instead of taking your own advice and wasting your time talking to drunk salarymen.

>> No.4668056

>>4667540
this is an extremely tryhard OP
sometimes I wish people would just be normal here

>> No.4668079

>>4668037
Who says anon isn't doing that as well on top of learning to read the language? Learning a language requires both reading and speaking practice. You shouldn't assume shit and throw a fit based on your own entirely uninformed assumptions. It's bad for your blood pressure.

>Not some pathetic faggot who sits at his computer all day playing video games and jerking off to anime characters.

Yes because getting triggered because someone else is taking an interest in something is such a mature and non-pathetic thing to do. You must be an amazingly pleasant person to talk to irl.

>> No.4668090

>>4668037
>yeah i totally worked in Japan and did great there!
>no, there's no such thing as a gaijin bubble
kek dude you couldn't pass N5 if you tried

>> No.4668152
File: 114 KB, 640x800, 1518218521186.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

People actually go on the Retro video game section of an anime website and make fun of people who are so passionate about retro Japanese video games that they learn a notoriously difficult language to enjoy them marginally more.

>> No.4668173 [DELETED] 

>>4668152
Wrong. This is an alt-right website. Animefags are ridiculed here.

>> No.4668180

>>4668173
That's a great joke! Tell us another one!

>> No.4668183

>>4668180
Don't respond. Report retards and move on. At least drop a sage while you're at it.

>> No.4668190 [DELETED] 

>>4668180
>>4668183
Rattling your bitch tits isn't gonna change this simple fact. Nobody cares about anime, try posting an anime reaction in any other board that's not /a/ /c/ /jp/ and they will rip you gay weebos another asshole. Soyboys.

>> No.4668196
File: 589 KB, 800x2810, 4chan community.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4667540
I don't see the point since there is a lot of kanji that you will never use in regular conversation. Plus you will see a new kanji only to have it brought up once so you never really learn it. In terms of increasing your japanese proficiency regular studying is far more effective.

>>4668190
See pic.

>> No.4668198

>>4668196
don't post a tl;dr image in response to retards that think they're welcome here. report and move on.

>> No.4668204

>>4667540
FF is aimed at a teenage audience, if you can read at a high school level you'll be fine.

>> No.4668280

>>4668056
??? why would you ever be a tryhard on an ANONYMOUS imageboard???

>> No.4668321

>>4668280
Anonymous who have very tiny penises

>> No.4668328 [DELETED] 

>>4668196
it doesn't matter what silly cartoon this site was about in the beginning now this has evolved into a political site.

>> No.4668368

>>4668050
I love how you assume that any Western that lived in Japan was an English teacher. It's not like there are any Japanese companies in the West or people that attended a Japanese university.

>>4668090
Most Japanese colleges and real Japanese jobs (read: not working at the fucking Apple store in Ginza, which you won't even get a visa for) require the Kanji Kentei, not the JLPT; which is a fucking joke when it comes to actually using Japanese in a practical and professional manner. I knew I guy who passed the N1 and is a professional translator but he was a fucking mess when it came to anything that wasn't sit down with a dictionary and spend 8 hours a day only being able to translate 1,000 characters.

>>4668056
I was hoping that being an asshole would actually encourage him to learn more and stop being such a faggot, you know like how things used to be, but apparently the current state of learning/doing anything these days seems to be kiss their ass the whole way through in case they get a boo-boo or their feewings get hurt or some dumb shit since this is now apparently Tumblr. The normal thing to do would to just play the damn game already without having to make some stupid thread trying to get anonymous cred from people who do even know Japanese let alone can't even understand the meaning of 刻苦勉励 or 臥薪嘗胆 or 読書百遍 and how to apply it to their lives.

>> No.4668404

>>4668368
Calm down please, you are the assuming one here. I simply said, that I want to play a video game, not get a job in Japan. Also I have honestly no hecks at all to give about "cred" on, what you said yourself, is an ANONYMOUS WEBSITE. You are not the only person here on /vr/ who has learnt Japanese, and I simply wanted to know if anybody with real knowledge on such a niche subject (like the Japanese in a 20 year old video game. Again a thing you mentioned but seem to know nothing about), that could pretty much only be answered here. Please get the fuck off this board immediately, you are the cancer killing /vr/'s comfyness.

>> No.4668412

>>4668368

By the way were you the one who posted >>4661368 ?

>> No.4668467

>>4668368
>"encouraging" to learn more

Anon what you're doing is bullying someone who's just learned to say "Jerome est fort, il est mon ami" because he's not reading Descartes yet. Understand that learning happens at any point between playing video games for kids and being a functioning adult in Japanese society.

Honestly you sound far more like someone who's trying to get 'anonymous cred' because you can't stop bragging about your Japanese proficiency whenever someone who's just starting asks a question. It's not about 'hurting feelings', it's about not letting every thread devolve into a goddamn flame war between teenagers which is really ruining this board.

>> No.4668484

>>4668368
>I love how you assume that any Western that lived in Japan was an English teacher.
I mean, it's a pretty safe bet. Ex-pats are pretty much all absolute gutter trash like yourself, and jerking yourself off over fucking 四字熟語 means you're even more of a waster than I assumed.

A brainlet wasting 10k on a Japanese course and going out drinking with natives has the excuse of a sunk cost fallacy to justify his retardation. You've at least managed a basic proficiency above talking to drunkards, and yet you think that telling someone to go out and talk to people is good advice.

Be sure to post more examples of your pathetic ex-pat friends failing at basic communication, as they're clearly representative of the entire adult learner market, and not just the autists who are so unsuccessful in their own communities that they have to fly half-way around the world into a country filled with emotionless bugmen to try and develop a false sense of self.

I can't understand where your completely unwarranted sense of self importance comes from, but please believe me when I say that you must be absolutely intolerable to be around. Maybe your gaijin hunter wife puts on a smile every morning while she serves you up a fucking convenience store ready meal, but it's solely an act to preserve her status as a woman with a trophy husband.

>> No.4668518

>>4668328
imagine being this deluded

>> No.4669191 [DELETED] 
File: 29 KB, 367x451, 256.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4668050
>Being this butthurt

He just said the truth. Keep crying.

>> No.4669192

This thread is pure /v/ cancer.

>> No.4669203

>>4668484
>emotionless bugmen
yeah, somebody here sure is intolerable

>> No.4669218

>>4669192
Complaining about /v/ is already the first step of /v/ cancer (same thing with complaining about /pol/).

>> No.4669232

>>4668518
I always laugh at retards like that who think any person past age 11 still gives a shit about hentai cartoons.

>> No.4669482

>>4667613
Start with EMIT on your preferred platform.
It allows you to switch language on the fly and easily go back to previous sentences.

>> No.4670952

>>4668467
I’ll eat mom and?? Sorry man I don’t speak Surrender.
>>4668484
The way you talk, you sound like a man of experience. Either that or you spend way too much time on the Gaijinpot message boards. Sorry things didn’t work out for you, maybe you should put down the controller and pick up the cloth. Also nice racist jab about all Japanese being soulless bugmen. If you knew anything outside of video games and anime, and those shitty gaijin bars you keep ranting about, you’d know that the Japanese have a rich and deep spiritual and religious heritage.

>>4668412
No. I’m usually pretty friendly and helpful but I’m so high T that if I don’t get enough tap water I sometimes get a little crazy.

>> No.4670968

>>4670952
>I’m so high T that if I don’t get enough tap water
Ah so your posts WERE just bait. I had a feeling to be honest