[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 75 KB, 620x355, Inherit-the-Earth-Quest-for-the-Orb-Free-Download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4666585 No.4666585 [Reply] [Original]

Is anyone else here a fan of Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb? I know the furry element might freak some people out, but its a really clever and visually beautiful adventure game.

>> No.4667895
File: 489 KB, 1116x1046, Underground-Gamer_tab03.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666585
I remember seeing it in my Electronics Boutiique. Every tiem, I'd pull the game out to read the back of the box, as its premise sounded so interesting to me. I still regret to this day that I never got it. I opted to get Sam & Max and a Black Friday Total Annihilation Commander Pack ($8!), but I never had the money to get the game. I have it via this torrent, and I hope to play it when I finally can save up and get the rest of the parts to finish my J-Win98SE machine or modernize the 486DX4 machine.

I swear I must've imagined its premise. As the descriptions I read of the game online does not mach my memory. I think it was something along the lines of: it is a mystery, how a world with humans suddenly disappeared and the animals of the world now have the earth, did the humans gain the technological/spiritual superiority and imbued their autonomy onto the animals of the earth? Or something along those lines, or it must've been some fan-fiction tier stuff I must've read somewhere when I wasn't fully conscious. Either way, the game still seems interesting to me.

>> No.4670169

>>4666585
I played it a long, long time ago. And to be honest, while it had some nice moments, it wasn't really that good. It full well inherited the early 90s "fuck them over for no reason" mode of adventure gaming.

While it wasn't Sierra mode, in that you couldn't actively lose the game, you had plenty of times where you just had to wander randomly; the instance that sticks out the most in my mind is that at one point relatively late in the game, you have to make a trade with this hermit dude, who wanders around the island. There are like 5 different areas he might be in at any one moment, and there's no pattern to where he drifts. You just have to keep wandering around the island and hope you run into him, eventually. It adds nothing except wasting your time.

>> No.4670193
File: 1.71 MB, 989x494, inherit the earth.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I dug the retro furry art, but the game ended too quickly, like the last half of it wasn't made.

>> No.4670195

>>4667895

>did the humans gain the technological/spiritual superiority and imbued their autonomy onto the animals of the earth?

Yep, or at least that's what the animals believe.

>> No.4670212

Loved the lore and implied darker tones in the final areas that sadly mostly felt victim to the publisher-axe.

However, the padding was out of the world.
The enormous villages with their countless empty houses, the dog fortress and its dungeon maze, the rat burrows that you had to visit multiple times... that shit brought nothing to the table and was just there to piss you off.

>> No.4670250

>>4670193

Apparently a sequel was planned but never manifested because of the death of adventure games at the time.
Then some guy called Wyrmwind or something purchased the IP and made a kickstarter trying to fund a sequel but it failed.

So now he's got this furry webcomic about it that's not going anywhere either.

>> No.4671764

The raccoon was a weak ass villain. You're primed from the game and from genre conventions to see him as a henchman, and the Dark Claws as the real bad guys, but in the end you don't even meet the latter. Not to mentiom that most stories like this use a fetch quest as a jumping off point to a larger-scale story, which Inherit The Earth hints at, but then you get the Orb back and it just ends. You could cut the wolves out of the story entirely and change nothing.

>>4670250

At least the webcomic's art has gotten better.

>> No.4672289

I enjoyed the game a ton, but there are two parts that I think are total BS (and, sadly, they're both late in the game):

>Meeting that hermit cat in the Wild Lands.
I was stuck on this part for ages, because not only is the puzzle for her area not very clear (Rif won't even knock on the door because he doesn't know whose inside, but will try to speak to it? What?), but it's worked into a larger puzzle in a haphazard and stupid way. Why do you lose the first bowl you get once you enter the Dragon Maze for no reason, and why specifically do you need one to get the honey? At first, I thought my game was glitching up, and it wasn't until I looked up a video walkthrough (text guides weren't helping) that I found the answer.

>Finding the Merchant guy on North Island
You never have any indication that he's at the pier, nor would you have any reason to go back to the pier. It doesn't help that the island is absolutely huge and its very easy to get lost.