[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 264x378, Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4663969 No.4663969 [Reply] [Original]

why doesn't anyone like half life anymore?

>> No.4663970

Gaben fucked it up for everyone

>> No.4663984

everyone, behind your back, collectively decided not to anymore. you are literally the only human being on planet earth who still likes half-life.

>> No.4663986

The first game was an overrated 7/10 and the second game was a fecal mess that fell apart after the first two hours. What is there to like?

>> No.4663991

>>4663986
The first game was revolutionary at its time. The mods were amazing too.

>> No.4664079
File: 6 KB, 329x153, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4663969
Half Life 3 was underwhelming.

>> No.4664097

>>4663991
It really wasn't. It didn't do anything that hadn't been done before and it no real defining features. Games like Quake and Goldeneye had already been there and done that. It was just a typical corridor shooter that got by on muh story and not much else. Then, a little over a year later we got both System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, both of which blew it out of the fucking water.

>> No.4664149

>>4664097
The sad part is ive been on /vr/ enough where this thread and all its replies is dejavu for me and someone will reply to you saying it was ambitious with telling a story through the world and its interactions

>> No.4664164

>>4664149
Yeah, I know, it's to be expected. This has been argued to death but I just hate when somebody pretends that such a bare-bones game was somehow special when it wasn't even better at doing what it did than games which came out years prior. It's not the worst game in the world or anything, but playing this and then playing Quake... the two aren't even comparable.

>> No.4664206 [DELETED] 

>>4664097

>Games like Quake and Goldeneye had already been there and done that.

Goldeneye is the most overrated FPS ever created, the controls to it are horrible and the only people who are fans of it are people who still play Super Mario 64 over and over and over again just like adults who don't stop watching the same few 80's movies over and over again because its nostalgic and reminds them of times of when they lived in a bubble.

> It was just a typical corridor shooter that got by on muh story and not much else.

It showed off an entire alien invasion from start to finish from the eyes of the player and did an excellent job at it. The way the game was scripted gave the marines a real challenge, they would flank you, they would frag you, they would bait you, etc. The game was also very well paced and every chapter almost always introduces a new mechanic, whereas other games stop introducing new stuff halfwaythrough and begin rehashing/remixing after that point. Goldeneye might have had objectives I guess? It doesn't really change the gameplay in any meaningful way in the way that having an entire cohesive experience and the impression of good AI that impacts gameplay.

>Deus Ex, both of which blew it out of the fucking water.

Deus Ex is an rpg so you might as well be comparing fallout and elder scrolls to Half-Life, the story in Deus Ex is also overrated AF. The entire setting is a joke and that by itself is ifne, but you've got all of these people that take it as a serious critique of society because there's a few paragraphs of dialog that namedrop banker names even though the plot is you fighting mechs and dealing with aliens, the illumanti, the knights templar. It's silly.

>> No.4664231

>>4664206
Here we go again...
>Goldeneye is the most overrated FPS ever created
I actually mostly agree with you, there are many, many better FPS games, but it's a better game than Half-Life 1 and it was far more revolutionary. End of story.
>It showed off an entire alien invasion from start to finish from the eyes of the player and did an excellent job at it.
Wow, it had a generic sci-fi story. Whoopdie doo. Also, the AI in HL was steaming garbage, stop pretending that shit was good.
>Deus Ex is an rpg
No, it's a first person shooter with light RPG elements. Being able to customize a few abilities and picking up objects from the environment hardly diminishes the fact that it is, at its core, largely an action-intensive shooter. I find it kind of funny how you could say the game's setting is a "joke" and that all of the social commentary and futurism really just boils down to "fighting mechs and dealing with aliens" and "the illuminati". You do remember which game you're defending, right? You know, Half Life, the game about a fucking team of scientists that accidentally open a portal to another world and allow aliens to invade. How the fuck can you sit there and pretend DE is somehow "silly" with a straight face while defending this kind of derivative garbage? But no, go on and tell me how the story isn't silly because this laughably generic plot was somehow augmented by the "immersion" and "interaction" and made less retarded than it sounds. DE is silly because it tries to incorporate science fiction with real societal issues, but Half-Life gets a pass even though its story is ripped straight from every science fiction book and movie ever made? Come on now.

>> No.4664741

>>4663969
Outside of the shotgun, this is one of my all-time favorite FPS for its pacing and navigation. It always feels like you're someplace you're not supposed to be, and the whole experience keeps you taut and at attention.

I played it for the first time in 2016 and immediately followed up with Opposing Force, Blue Shift, and Half-Life: Source. The storytelling, the world, the gluon gun, the level design; all of it felt phenomenal to me, and the experience as a whole incredibly fresh. The musical swells, the AI, the surrealness of Xen and the G-Man; there isn't another FPS I've played in my life that gripped me like the first Half-Life, and I personally feel that it's a better experience than its sequel.

It was exactly like playing an album that ends up taking you on a trip. I got that same satisfying feeling of discovery. I can't think of a clearer way to express how I honestly felt than that.

>>4664097
Pay more attention when you play it next time.

>>4664149
Play more video games, spend less time watching the predictable patterns of depressed people taking on the /v/ id.

>> No.4664838

>>4664741
>Pay more attention when you play it next time.
Pay more attention to what? I repeat, it does nothing that hadn't already been done before, and better. It's a samey, grey, generic romp if there ever was one.

>> No.4664845

>>4663969
it's the game that ended the era of over the top, fun, abstract old school FPS games

>> No.4664871
File: 236 KB, 1280x720, 23-05-2017-17.39.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4663969
Don't worry bro I'm a mature individual and not so pilled and jaded that I would blame modern games on Half-Life. I still think Goldsrc is the perfect blend of retro 3D and yet moves so smooth like a modern game.

>> No.4664872

>>4664845
Bingo
>Quake: cryptic story that teases your imagination and allows for a wide variety of environments and backdrops ranging from undead crypts and castles to forlorn military bases, get dropped into a dark world with no sense of safety and no clues for how to progress, fight a bunch of fucked up monsters while trying to push forward, rationing your supplies and learning how to effectively save pickups for dangerous encounters, with a plethora of optional secrets to uncover and interconnected, labyrinthine levels that encourages replayability
>Half-Life: lmao dude aliens
Half-Life is a piece of shit.

>> No.4664876

>>4664097
Ah, you're one of those plebs who think System Shock 2 and Deus Ex are first person shooters, I see.

>> No.4664887
File: 119 KB, 404x403, Your_Brain.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4664876
>literally a game played in first person that is primarily about using guns to shoot things
>dem gaems got da arr pee gee stats so dey not fust puson shuuder
Imagine being this much of a fucking potato.

>> No.4664898

>>4664887
>RPG means the player character has stats
you don't even deserve a reaction image

>> No.4664905
File: 101 KB, 537x575, 1405438484810.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4664872
>Quake: lmao dude slipgates
anyone can reductio ad absurdum

>> No.4664918

>>4664097
>It didn't do anything that hadn't been done before and it no real defining features.
the defining feature was first person view of scripted events instead of using third person cinematic cameras or FMVs. ironically it's HL that gets called "cinematic"

>It was just a typical corridor shooter that got by on muh story and not much else
there's hardly a story in Half-Life unless you focus on it by yourself. you can easily ignore it and just blast through the levels.

the story is mostly a chain of events that unfold in real time, it's just a theme to keep the puzzles coherent. unlike in Quake where it's a shameless mashup of random levels with completely different styles between them

>> No.4664929

>>4664871
It's got the best footsteps of all time.

>step step SQUEAK step

>> No.4664937

>>4663969
It's just kids from /v/ thinking they'll fit in here if they shit on a beloved classic.

>> No.4664960

>>4664905
>anyone can reductio ad absurdum
Okay then, let me elaborate: no maze-like levels to encourage replayability, garbage story, samey environments instead of interesting and diverse locations, no focus on utilizing items in the level or the level itself to augment combat, no real atmosphere... I could go on and on. You can't tell me it has an interesting or unique story when the story is generic as fuck, you can't tell me it has interesting or unique environments when the environments are generic as fuck, you can't interesting or unique enemies, weapons, items or even objectives are ALL generic as fuck. So basically, "lmao dude aliens" is a pretty accurate descriptor of this game in its entirety. A generic, boring, grey game.

>> No.4664985

>>4664872
>being this retarded

>> No.4664990

>>4664985
>I don't have an argument for why you're wrong but you have insulted my favorite childhood game and my anus is very sore

>> No.4664992

>>4663969
Is it weird that I loved this game, but absolutely hated portal 1?

>> No.4664998

>>4664898
It's called hyperbole, and I never said stats were the only defining aspect of an RPG, I'm literally arguing the opposite in case you were too retarded to notice. Also, in case you forgot, both Deus Ex and System Shock 2 have stats/skills of some kind.

>> No.4665001

Because none of my friends play multiplayer and the singleplayer has always been crap that shares more in common with modern military shooters than 90's fps. Worse yet the guns are terrible. Early 3D FPS guns rarely feel good to shoot but Half Life's guns are beyond awful.

>> No.4665007

>>4664990

Yeah that describes you pretty good.

>>4664992

No, they're not even the same genre.

>> No.4665014

>>4665007
Since greentext is now apparently self-descriptory, I'm glad we've established that you are, in fact, "this retarded".

>> No.4665017

>>4665007
They're both seen as great games that did good to the industry and yada yada, but I only like one of em.

>> No.4665018

>>4665017
>LOL DUDE ISN'T IT LIKE, SO WEIRD THAT I DON'T LIKE THESE TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES. I MEAN, THEY'RE LIKE, MADE BY THE SAME COMPANY. LOL THAT'S SO FUNNY AND STUFF
Shut the fuck up you spermguzzling beta male.

>> No.4665021

>>4665018
Are you okay?

>> No.4665025

>>4665021
Yes, and you need to go back now.

>> No.4665027

>>4665025
Go back where? I think you need a breather.

>> No.4665031

>>4665027
>asks a stupid fucking question
>ARE YOU OKAY, YOU NEED A BREATHER
There is absolutely nothing worse than a passive-aggressive pussy. Your question was retarded. Just stop.

>> No.4665035

>>4665017

So what?

>>4665014

Serious question, are you Manly Tears? Your posting strategy is identical.

>> No.4665040

>>4665035
I thought it would impact me more seeing the praise it gets.
>>4665031
Just stop. Get up and get a glass of water.

>> No.4665046
File: 89 KB, 480x720, 1327460270997.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4665040

Again, so what?

Like, you don't like a game.

>> No.4665048

>>4663969
It was never that good to begin with and is way WAY overrated in cultural relevance during the time it was released. It's actually talked about way more now among normals than it was back then.

>> No.4665062

The real reason is because the series is dead for no reason.

Valve just doesn't make games for the most part. Imagine if The Empire Strikes Back had come out 20 years after A New Hope, it'd still be a really good movie but it just wouldn't have gotten the cultural impact it got because most of the people who go see movies would be too young to know about the original.

You are, in fact, supposed to release games on a general schedule instead of anemic intervals of over a decade. This hasn't dawned on most gamers yet because it's still a young enough medium. If you choose not to publish consistently, then your franchise is dead.

>> No.4665063

>>4665035
>come up with an autistic "no u" comeback, end up accidentally calling yourself retarded, create some dubious link between the other person and a random tripfag in a desperate attempt to salvage your wounded pride
Yet another human embarrassment that should have been a throat baby.

>> No.4665368

It’s mostly kids that want to pretend they were around when it came out and revise history by saying no one gave a shit about it and people hated it when it came out; instead of the truth that it blew everyone socks off.

>> No.4665385

>>4664960
>no maze-like levels to encourage replayability
mazes do not encourage replayability unless the player likes mazes. one thing mazes certainly do is make the player more likely to get lost and lose all tempo of the game
>garbage story
compared to Quake's "story"? both games have 'themes' at best, and it's like arguing polka dot vs argyle which is better
>samey environments instead of interesting and diverse locations
you mean coherent environment transitions instead of a few map themes mixed up without any continuity whatsoever
>no focus on utilizing items in the level or the level itself to augment combat
there are more interactions with the environment in HL than in Q1, it's just not all directly "combat" tricks
>no real atmosphere
it's got more atmosphere than Q1

baiscally your whole argument about HL being bad is that it's not Quake. you're at the same level as the more modern cowadooty kids complaining about every other FPS not being CoD

>> No.4665394

>>4663969
Because the Fanbase is toxic as fuck

HL1 and its mods are great, but the community is shit, even Valve doesn't want to touch in HL anymore because of this.

>> No.4665431

>>4665385
>mazes do not encourage replayability unless the player likes mazes.
Uh yeah it does, because each level has multiple paths through it and you can have a different experience every time you play.
>one thing mazes certainly do is make the player more likely to get lost and lose all tempo of the game
If you get lost in Quake, you are legitimately retarded.
>compared to Quake's "story"? both games have 'themes' at best, and it's like arguing polka dot vs argyle which is better
The story is purposefully cryptic, it leaves some room for imagination. In the case of HL, there is a fully-fledged story, but it's generic sci-fi rubbish.
>you mean coherent environment transitions
Oh yes, they're very coherent. Coherent gray corridors, coherent brown corridors... yeah, I think I'd rather have separate but completely aesthetically unique levels my dude.
>there are more interactions with the environment in HL than in Q1, it's just not all directly "combat" tricks
No. In Quake, there's a whole layer of depth in how you use items, let alone stuff like rocket jumping, strafe jumping, bunny hopping and other advanced techniques. Y might happen upon a powerup and instead of using it immediately, save it and come back for it later, only to find that the spot you saved it for was put to bad use, and that there was another spot later in the level that you could have better used it, so you explore and try to plan the quickest route from the powerup location to the location you want to use it so as to have it last for as long as possible. That kind of tactical thinking is completely absent in HL.
>it's got more atmosphere than Q1
Bull shit. If you think a generic sci-fi shooter has more atmosphere than a game like Quake, your tastes are garbage. Those fucking office building environments sure are atmospheric huh?

No, my argument is that HL is a bad game. Doing things completely different from Quake would be perfectly fine if it did them well, which it doesn't.

>> No.4665482
File: 956 KB, 1280x913, 1503954799617.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4665431
>if you get lost in a maze you're retarded
- you

>hurr sci-fi rubbish

>does not understand what 'coherence' means
>shits on brown corridors while defending Quake

>muh depth of dodging projectiles and doing rocket jumps - HL surely doesn't have bunny hopping or any movement tricks of its own

>hurr sci-fi rubbish, durr shit taste

you must be just awfully salty that "sci-fi rubbish" is more popular than "muh lovecraftian dungeons (with tech bases)"

>> No.4666208
File: 329 KB, 1280x720, quake1b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4665482
>- you
Nice argument autismoid.
>hurr sci-fi rubbish
Yes, and?
>does not understand what 'coherence' means
Uh yeah actually I do, apparently you think that coherence goes hand in hand with aesthetic appeal and it doesn't. HL's levels might have a logical flow but that doesn't make them pretty or atmospheric.
>shits on brown corridors while defending Quake
Quake even manages to make the "brown corridors" it has look pretty fucking nice my dude. Pic related.
>muh depth of dodging projectiles and doing rocket jumps - HL surely doesn't have bunny hopping or any movement tricks of its own
Fucking Timesplitters has "movement tricks", but to act like HL can even approach the complexity of movement that Quake has is concentrated autism.
>hurr sci-fi rubbish, durr shit taste
Notice the lack of actual arguments. Your default response would probably be "b-but you didn't have one" while simultaneously ignoring criticisms like the lack of visual variety, hamstrung story and boring characters and weapons, all of which are perfectly logical arguments. So unless you can come up with a good explanation for why bar-standard generic items, environment and even story are all anything but "hurr durr sci-fi rubbish", then guess what? They're hurr durr sci-fi rubbish.
>you must be just awfully salty that "sci-fi rubbish" is more popular than "muh lovecraftian dungeons (with tech bases)"
LOL, what? Alright, now this must be the most autistic thing you've said so far. HL1 is not more popular than any of the first 3 Quake games. How the fuck can you even assert something so retarded? To me, it sounds like you're just an assblasted faggot who literally has no argument other than repeating "hurr durr" to diminish my points because you don't have any of your own. Try again.

>> No.4666272
File: 267 KB, 800x600, WINQUAKE 2018-03-24 23-05-14-56.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>4666208
>nothing but ad hominem and goalpost moving
no arguments, no (You)

>Pic related.
all that bullshitting about atmosphere and then you post a screenshot with such overblown lighting

>> No.4666303

>>4666272
>no arguments, no (You)
Yet again pretending there aren't arguments because you don't have any yourself. I guess a statement like "HL's levels might have a logical flow but that doesn't make them pretty or atmospheric" isn't a fucking argument?
>a pic of fucking WinQuake without gamma even turned up
Yeah, you're a fucking clown shoe and your opinion has been discarded.

>> No.4666309

>>4663969
we grew up and aren't manchildren anymore. we're manmen

>> No.4666343
File: 1.15 MB, 1280x960, glquake 2018-03-24 23-12-19-51.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>4666303
you have no arguments, only hot shit opinions and ad hominems. if you prefer Quake over HL, have fun with Quake. shitting on HL will not make people love you or Quake. throwing insults because someone finds HL not bad only makes you a cunt

>bitching about someone else's gamma settings
technical aspects like the user's monitor aside, maybe I don't like washed out colors or dungeons being lit up like a dutch brothel

>> No.4666347
File: 5 KB, 294x171, screaming_faggot_child.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666343

>> No.4666351

>>4666343
not him and i agree theres no need for insults but you have pretty much ignored every point hes made. cohesion isnt the same thing as aesthetics at all for example.

>> No.4666472
File: 64 KB, 500x538, 1440102509862.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666351
all his "points" are his own opinions. it's all "I don't like what HL does, I prefer what Quake does - that means HL is shit and no one should like it"

HL is objectively not a bad game. otherwise it would not have as many players, as many mods, as many awards, or the marginally higher aggregate score than Q1

>> No.4666827

Can't we all agree that Quake and Half-Life are both amazing games at least for including Bunnyhop mechanics?

Mods are usually of very high quality on both of them. The only ones losing out are normies.

>> No.4666838

>>4666472
>HL is objectively not a bad game because it's popular
I'm glad we've established that yearly CoD releases, League of Legends, Overwatch, lootboxes, Wii shovelware, McDonald's, and cuckold porn are all "objectively not bad" just because people like them. Imagine being this much of a vacuous, braindead troglodyte.

Look, I'm done arguing about this, but I'm going to say one last thing: if you enjoy HL1, more power to you; but, there is absolutely nothing you can point to which makes this game such a standout release other than arbitrary descriptors like "interactive" and "cohesive" and other ultimately meaningless phrases. The reality is that it didn't do anything new in terms of story, aesthetics, gameplay, controls, sound design, AI, nothing. The only thing you can legitimately say it did was create a "cinematic experience" by removing cutscenes from the equation. That is literally it. So, if you maintain that the game is somehow amazing in spite of this, whatever, but it isn't. Case closed.

>> No.4666940

>>4666827
take a look at all the projecting, goalpost moving, strawman attacking and insulting by the quakefag ITT and ask yourself if that kind of person is able to agree to anything other than Quake being the end-all-be-all of video games and if it's not Quake or Quake Improved it's shit

>> No.4666948
File: 1.22 MB, 245x215, visible_emotional_distress.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666940

>> No.4666956

>>4666948
no need to cry, fellow quakefag

>> No.4666968
File: 84 KB, 1280x853, literally_you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666956

>> No.4666987

>>4663969
the combat sucks. if the combat was good it would be really amazing.

I appreciate the more puzzle based level design and how much variety the game has in its progression but on replays it gets really fucking boring for me. Maybe you prefer that and that's fine but I'm much more about arcade based FPS where the focus is on the combat.

I used to like HL1 a lot more than HL2 but upon a recent replay of both I found I actually prefer HL2. There are some things I really don't like about HL2 (like the dragging vehicle segments, the way they did much more of that in-game cut scene shit, that dumb part where you throw the thing to dog etc) but ultimately HL2's gunplay is just far more fun for me. HL2 also has a really underrated unique atmosphere and ridiculously sexy sound design.

>> No.4666996

>>4666940
I'm a Quakefag. I vastly prefer Quake to HL but honestly I apologise for that retard. He's a total fucking idiot.

>> No.4667007
File: 93 KB, 1068x711, lmao_us_quake_fags_right.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4666996