[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 45 KB, 342x347, 61VSBSPlQtL._SX342_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4659440 No.4659440 [Reply] [Original]

This is better than FF9, equal to FF8, and inferior to FF7.

>> No.4659443

>>4659440
It’s inferior to every other PS1 RPG
...including Beyond the Beyond

>> No.4659513

>>4659440
VIII and IX aren't very good, but they're still much better than this game.

>> No.4659524

>>4659440
Considering 9 is the best of the PS1 trilogy, your logic makes no sense.

>> No.4659568

The gameplays is what it makes it. Shame nobody ripped it off and that sony can't hold their franchises in place.

>> No.4659583

>>4659524

FF9 certainly has much higher production value, but Dragoon is much more fun because of its engaging combat system.

>> No.4659592

>>4659443
What's wrong with BtB?

>> No.4659610

>>4659568
>>4659583
I'm pretty shocked at what passes for "engaging gameplay" for this era of JRPGs. Yes, it's slightly more than selecting attacks from a menu, but not much more. The gameplay is just "press a button when you see a certain indicator on the screen to make your attack more powerful." The art is pretty though, and I do like the transformation sequences with the "Dragoon" mechanic.

>> No.4659640

>>4659440
pretty subtle FF tier list argument thread you made here, but i'll stay on topic and talk about LoD instead.
The format of the game's text makes a good retranslation impossible, and what we got was an extremely shitty script. Additionally, I really hate JRPGs that force me to play a minigame every single time I want to do damage. It's okay if it's minor like SMRPG, FF8, etc. but the extent to which it's pushed in LoD is just awful. It's a neat game but there's a reason nobody gives much of a shit about it anymore.

>> No.4659648

>>4659640
>The format of the game's text makes a good retranslation impossible,
What do you mean by that? Just that it would be hard for hackers to inject a new script?
>and what we got was an extremely shitty script.
It's pretty much anime-tier.

>> No.4659661
File: 6 KB, 120x120, thinking-face_1f914.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659513
>IX not very good

>> No.4659683
File: 126 KB, 1024x768, legend_of_dragoon_010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659610
>Yes, it's slightly more than selecting attacks from a menu, but not much more.

Its simple but effective at making combat more fun. 9 is an impressive game and has fantastic polish, but I found Dragoon to be the more enjoyable of the two, which shocked me as well. I played both briefly as a child, but recently sunk my teeth into both and was surprised that Dragoon completely stole away my attention.

>> No.4659956

>>4659513
>>4659440
>shitting on ff9
nah

>> No.4660006

>>4659440
i was enjoying playing this a few months back, but then my game kept crashing at a certain point, could be the rom or my shitty computer can't remember what was happening though had unlocked 3 dragoon powers and had to return to the prison at the beginning of the game, kept freezing during the first scene there, if you've got a link for a working copy i'd appreciate it.

>> No.4660035

>>4659440
It's in my list to play. Hopefully it will fill the void Legend of Legaia left.

>> No.4660047

>>4659440
Poor man's Final Fantasy VIII

>> No.4660063

>>4659440
What game is this?

>> No.4660069
File: 13 KB, 235x216, 5a2044e072dce560dd6a73382eda2b48.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659524
>>4659661
>>4659956
FFIX is held way too high in regard, it's a huge step backwards with the worst of early FFs and Kitase directed existentialism. It's a fine game and way better than LotD for sure but otherwise it's one of the weakest FFs which makes sense because it wasn't meant to be a numbered FF and more akin to something like Type-0 but was changed so as to improve sales (which didn't help that much it still is the lowest initial sales FF since IV) on an obsolete console.

I can imagine the original outline for the game was Vivi being the main character or at least viewed completely from his perspective and have it be a journey of discovery from one place to the next learning about himself and world which would've fitting much better as framing for disc 1 than what we got which was "Kidnap princess because Cid has a bad feeling or something, oh wait she wants to be kidnapped because... no reason other than she has a bad feeling too?"

Then the rest of the plot feels tacked on, basically Goku (couldn't even get rid of the tail) with the plots of FFIII and IV mashed together in the most awkward tone deafness when the big reveal happens which is a product of the more Kitase directed FFs but feels completely out of place in this FF throwback.

Kuja is by far the most weakest villain of the series, he's obviously standing in for Xande/Golbez hybrid but he couldn't come off any more like a pathetic emo kid if he was wearing a MCR hoodie. IX Garland was a way more compelling villain with actually interesting motivation and he gets like one shot in the Invincible, has one of the most ridiculous exposition dumps outside of another poorly budgeted Squaresoft RPG disc 2 and he's dead.

>> No.4660082

>>4660069
Oh and I didn't even need to mention the final boss fight against Pepsi Man since that actually makes sense and is not a completely out of place throwback to Cloud of Darkness from FFIII.

It makes sense because FFIX is actually Coca Cola™ propaganda

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0svcC1dzv4

>> No.4660139

>>4660069
>not one word about the gameplay and sidequests
>nothing but subjective rambling about "i didn't like the story it should have been about ViVi"
>"it has too much of the bad stuff from early FF" but fails to elaborate on this
Yawn, very typical anti FF9 post. A lot of words but nothing to say.

>> No.4660169

>>4660139
I don't agree with that guy re: story and I like FF9, but honestly, the battle system is so bad. It strips out the minor innovations made by predecessors (e.g. materia, junction, classes) and replaces them with basic FF6 gameplay, except slowed down and with achingly long battle transitions.

>> No.4660330

>>4660169
I disagree with that too, though, but I think it's a subjectivity thing. Personally, I like that each character in FF9 is fairly unique from the others. In FF5, 7, and 8, the only difference between the characters ends up being their stats and their limit break. Everything else is just "everyone can do everything," which ultimately means none of the characters leave much of an impression gameplay-wise. Granted, this gives the player lots of room to experiment and customize, but I think it's more fun when each character has their own unique identity. Plus the ability passive system is really fun to tinker with, and if you make good use of it, you never really have to grind because you have all the right passives.
As for the gameplay being slow, I honestly never felt like it was. I know there's a video of someone showcasing how much longer it takes for battles to get started compared to 7 and 8, but I always thought it was cool. Plus you can always speed the ATB bar up in the options and set it to active instead of wait. I'm not gonna sit here and try to deny it was slower, but I never found it painfully slow.

>> No.4660348
File: 83 KB, 245x252, Hisui Angers!.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659513
>IX isn't very good

>> No.4660367

>>4660139
>I don't like what you say but won't elaborate

>> No.4660372

>>4660069
The deeper problems i had with IX is the total lack of options. No customization, aside from very superficially, no ability to make up my own party until late into the game, the card game is inferrior to tripple traid, and does not play into the core game in any major way. I could go on.

FFIX is in every way a by the numbers, basic JRPG. It does nothing to set itself apart, and fails to recapture the classic FF feel, because all but 1 classic FF had some form of customization and or replay value. IX had neither.
Say what you will about side quests and cards being dozens of hours of extra gameplay. But FFXV has hundreds of side quests and hundreds of hours worth of fucking off to do, and none of that saves that game from being 90% running at a dot on the horizon. In other words; bonus content does not save a bad or mediocre game from being what it is.
It's like being in a bad relationship with lots of sex. Sex is nice, but it's still a bad relationship.

Battles in FFIX are slow as molasses as well. It is often a chore to plod through random encounters, simply because they are manditory 3-5 minute affairs where you select actions, and wait. And wait. And wait...

The bandwagon of know nothing children singing the game's praises are just loving it's more modern approach to gaming: generic, ultra linear, narative driven, style over substance. And that's a fact.
Same group of asshats whi suddenly decided Zelda OoT is the literal greatest game ever, when it's reception was nowhere near that good back in the day.

>> No.4660406

>>4660139
>not one word about the gameplay and sidequests
Maybe I didn't think they were bad, I said "it's a fine game" but it's not in any way one of the better FFs.

>nothing but subjective rambling about "i didn't like the story it should have been about ViVi"
I never said it should be about Vivi only that I think originally it was. But anyway, are you actually arguing that Vivi isn't the most compelling character in the game (if not FF history)?

>"it has too much of the bad stuff from early FF" but fails to elaborate on this
I regret that sentence it's not great but what I meant by it was worst because it used early FFs but put the existential spin on it creating an unholy union. Although I can make another point about the "worst of early FFs"; the use of filler dungeons that serve no story purpose. FFVIII and X were good at avoiding this by having every area tie into the story but IX drops the ball trying hard to fill out it's thin story from it's early non-numbered project origins. A lot of them are just go through here and out the other end to get to next story beat without anything tying the location to the story, Ice Cavern and Gulag Mountain being the most egregious but obviously had to be in there because pointless throwbacks.

Like I said before I don't hate IX. I love the FMVs, they're some of the best directed in the series. I like Disc 1 for the most part and love the 2nd half of disc 2 on the Outer Continent. My contention is how much ridiculously high praise it gets in relation to other FFs despite it suffering from the same or worse issues that they do. Fans just seem completely bias critiquing other FFs but pretending like IX doesn't have major issues of it's own

>> No.4660492

I can't bring myself to suffer through Dragoon's awful translation. It feels machine translated and is bad even by jrpg standards.

>> No.4660498

>>4659592
This. It's literally the first Golden Sun game.

>> No.4660624

>>4659440
Its better than all three of those, fuck off.

>> No.4660713 [DELETED] 

>>4659440
The only noteworthy thing about Dragoon were the cutscenes I remember thinking it was so cool having the characters be voiced in them unlike Final Fantasy otherwise the game is really fucking bland and I will never understand why it's gained such a rabid following within the last decade.

>> No.4660746

>>4659440
I agree FF9 is extremely overrated (even more than VII, and that's saying something) but LoD isn't that great either. The battle system is fun and offers lots of challenge, but it's otherwise as bland and formulaic as you can possibly get for a JRPG. At least FF9's characters were likable and had some depth and development, LoD's were literally just "hero character", "plot device waifu", "mysterious warrior lady with dark tragic past", "nerdy bookworm guy", "hyperactive sidekick girl", "ballbusting dyke", "big mclargehuge", "old wise perverted master" and "knightbro a.k.a the best character who dies not even 10 hours into the game" not to mention it has bar none the worst overworld map I've ever seen in a JRPG.

>> No.4660749

>>4660372
>Same group of asshats whi suddenly decided Zelda OoT is the literal greatest game ever, when it's reception was nowhere near that good back in the day.

The fuck are you on about? For almost two decades it was called "the best game of all time" even by people who never played it, until egoraptor made a video shitting on it and saying LTTP was better, then all of a sudden it became the cool thing to bash and call overrated.

>> No.4660761

>>4660069
>Kuja is by far the most weakest villain of the series

Yeah nah, as much as I love FF7 Sephiroth was much worse, he was such a pathetic excuse for a villain with inconsistent, poorly developed motives. "Strongest will on the planet" my ass, he almost immediately went batshit insane after learning that he might be a test tube baby from space, then just decides to go on a killing spree and become a god because why the fuck not. And then there's Kefka who is evil and bad just because, with no rhyme or reason, and Seymour who became irrelevant halfway through his own game. Actually now that I think about it, pretty much every FF villain is terrible.

I agree with everything else you said though. I'm sick of kids singing praise for FF9 when it's obvious very few of them actually played it.

>> No.4660824

>>4660713
How about I fart in your fucking face?

>> No.4660887

It's the very definition of a mediocre RPG. I'm finally playing it at the moment and am lacking the motivation to continue past the second disc because it's boring. I have no clue what the story is apart from it's something to do with ancient dragons and that it's completely uninteresting. If anything changes later on in the game feel free to tell me. Glad I bought a copy for £20 some years ago instead of the laughable prices it goes for now.

>> No.4660891

>>4659640
Well, at least the script is getting an overhaul http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=25929.0

>> No.4661424

>>4659440
>implying FF8 is good

>> No.4661440

>>4660761
>pretty much every FF villain is terrible.
What about Airy?

>> No.4661734 [DELETED] 

>>4660824
BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now.... BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite..... BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

>> No.4661867
File: 2.82 MB, 822x720, FE4_Miracle.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Grandia's combat system is the best in JRPG's down pat. Fite me. It's a shame that I'm steamrolling battles though, end up not really bothering with the system. I believe 2 had better balance. 3 just had a random difficulty-spike mods-way.

>> No.4662091

>>4660330
I completely agree with you about unique characters. It's lame that in FF7/8 the only thing that differentiated characters were their limit breaks (essentially making Cloud/Cid/Barrett and Squall/Zell/Irvine the best parties). But I feel like Square could have done something re: battle system that kept characters unique and still departed from the very classic system they had,.

>> No.4662129
File: 1.17 MB, 640x360, REEEEE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659440
>>4659513
>>4659583

>FFIX not good

"""no"""

>> No.4662131

>>4661424
I have never met an intelligent person that dislikes 8

>> No.4662227

>>4662131
me either, we don't care enough for it

>> No.4662815
File: 963 KB, 1070x898, FinalFantasyTier.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

real talk

>> No.4662870

It's certainly no DUAL ORB 2

>> No.4663061

>>4662815
I bet 90% of the people who rank FF4 as god tier haven't actually played it, the other 10% are nostalgiatards. It's the beginning of what most of the hardcore FF nerds bitch about in later games; stupid as fuck melodramatic story, overly simplified gameplay compared to its predecessors, linear as fuck, heavy focus on style over substance etc.

>> No.4663078
File: 1.54 MB, 230x230, 1520245538634.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4659440
>FF7 superior to FF9
Other than that, yeah OP, LoD is great.

>> No.4663095

>>4663078
It is though. FF9's gameplay was terrible.

>> No.4663140

>>4659440
Meme kid love le dank ff7 xD

>> No.4663239

>>4663095
JRPGs have never been played for the gameplay, we've been over this. If they were FFX-2 would be superior to FF7, while most fans frown at the very comparison. The developers intentionally limit gameplay to present the art, style and characters as much as possible in these games. Games like LOD will never be popular because they fail to do exactly that.

>> No.4663273

>>4661440
Airy is only cool because of the word play in the name of the game.

>> No.4663289

>>4663239
Yeah, and FFVII is still superrior to FFIX.

VII has faster battles, actual customization options that can lead to some really interesting things, a more compelling plot with a really compelling villian and a fucking in-game amusement park full of miningames (And more)

IX is a bare bones, ultra linear, slow as dead dog ass, painfully standard JRPG. Nothing about it is remarkable, but the graphics. And that's only as a PS1 game. It gives the player no freedom at all until disc 3, and unlike FFVII or FFVIII, it has no customization options to make up for this.

Also, gameplay in JRPGs can be more or less fun, better or worse and even different in key ways.
Compare FFVII to Star Ocean the second story, Xenogears, Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger and tell me differently.

If you genuinely believe that the relative standardization of turn based battles means that literally every game plays EXACTLY alike, and there can be no difference between them worth discussing, then you are a moron and i am done with you.

>> No.4663291

>>4663078
If you like IX more than VII you are either a graphics whore, a moron or a contrarian. Or all three...

>> No.4663331

>>4663289
IX has Vivi so it's safe to say that 9 > 7

>> No.4663718

Why did this Dragoon thread turn into an FF thread? Go make your own.

>> No.4663813

>>4662815
>1 above 2
>14 in top tier when it's not even comparable to the other games
>9 below 4, 5, or 6
>10 in shit tier
good christ man

>> No.4663846

>>4659610
Engagement is engagement. There's no such thing as more or less you; either are or you aren't.

>> No.4663880

>>4660035
Not really
Legaia is too unique

>> No.4664019

>>4663718
OP did it to himself.

>> No.4664374 [DELETED] 

>>4660824
BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP snnnnniiiiiiffffffffffff...oh yes my dear....sssnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff....quite pungent indeed...is that....dare I say....sssssssnniff...eggs I smell?......sniff sniff....hmmm...yes...quite so my darling....sniff....quite pungent eggs yes very much so .....ssssssssssssssnnnnnnnnnnnnnnniiiiiiiffffff....ah yes...and also....a hint of....sniff....cheese.....quite wet my dear....sniff...but of yes...this will do nicely....sniff.....please my dear....another if you please....nice a big now.... BBBBBBRRRRRRRAAAAAAAPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPFFFFFF Oh yes...very good!....very sloppy and wet my dear....hmmmmm...is that a drop of nugget I see on the rim?...hmmmm.....let me.....let me just have a little taste before the sniff my darling.......hmmmmm....hmm..yes....that is a delicate bit of chocolate my dear....ah yes....let me guess...curry for dinner?....oh quite right I am....aren't I?....ok....time for sniff.....sssssnnnnnnniiiiiiiiffffffff.....hmmm...hhhmmmmm I see...yes....yes indeed as well curry......hmmm....that fragrance is quite noticeable....yes.....onion and garlic chutney I take it my dear?.....hmmmmm....yes quite..... BBBBBBRRRRRRRRPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT Oh I was not expecting that…that little gust my dear….you caught me off guard…yes…so gentle it was though…hmmmm…let me taste this little one…just one small sniff…..sniff…ah….ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffffff…and yet…so strong…yes…the odor….sniff sniff…hmmm….is that….sniff….hmmm….I can almost taste it my dear…..yes….just…sniff….a little whiff more if you please…..ssssssnnnnnniiiiiffffffffff…ah yes I have it now….yes quite….hhhhmmmm…delectable my dear…..quite exquisite yes…..I dare say…sniff….the most pungent one yet my dear….ssssnnnnniiiifffffffffffffffffffffff….yes….

>> No.4664473 [DELETED] 

>>4660824

>> No.4666359
File: 42 KB, 640x478, You are a man of integrity, just like me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4663061

>> No.4666401

>>4664473
Dude.

>> No.4667220 [DELETED] 

>>4660824