[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4658734 No.4658734 [Reply] [Original]

This was the best console generation. Everybody likes to bicker about which console was the best, but they were all the best. The PS1 had sheer quantity and variety, the N64 had a compact library of quality exclusives and good multiplayer games, and the Saturn brought the arcade experience home. 5th gen was the transition period between old and new, it was the best of both worlds: tons of classic-styled games and new, funky, experimental games of all kinds. Whether you want traditional sidescrollers and platformers or 3D first person shooters and sprawling JRPGs, this gen had it all. The previous gen was severely limited by 2D and the following generation was when the industry started to go down hill. We will never have it this good again.

>> No.4658931

K

>> No.4658967

5th gen discussions inevitably devolve into rampant shitposting once the 400lb 56% american mutant millennials get whiff of a thread

>> No.4659010

>>4658967
what?

>> No.4659012

>>4658967
Must suck to have grown up in a third world shithole where your parents could barely afford knock off mega drive games.

t. 600 lbs burger goblin

>> No.4659020

Really wish we could have seen how that gen turned out if Sega hadn't fucked up the Saturn so bad.

>> No.4659036

>>4659020
The Saturn is great at what it does. If you enjoy the 5th gen more for boring 3D platformer collectathons, it's not for you

>> No.4659053

>>4659036
I more meant if it was actually competitive, instead of selling like shit and being killed off early.

>> No.4659480

>>4658967
>those amerifat millenials are going to derail the thread!
>derails the thread on the second post
Stay classy, /vr/

>> No.4659492

>>4658734
OP has it right
Everything afterward is where diminishing returns and dev costs started to kill creativity

>> No.4659510

>>4659492
Even in the 6th gen major publishers were still releasing more experimental or small scale non-AAA games. It was starting after that where everything became either AAA or indie with almost nothing in between, particularly with Western publishers

>> No.4659547

>>4659510
The thing about 6th gen is that it's when the cancer began to metastasize. Xbox and Dreamcast both helped to make paid online an industry-standard feature, the PS2 ushered in the age of using consoles as multimedia devices, and GameCube was the last gasp of Nintendo before they went full retard. You still had a lot of both classic and experimental games for sure, but it was the sign of the end times and a lot of older game styles were left in the past. Then, with the 7th gen we saw the full transition to muh graphics and online shooters and the Wii leading the charge in proving that you don't have to make good games to turn a profit. It's never been the same since.

>> No.4659581

>>4659510
>>4659547
I really don't get the only AAA mindset. Wouldn't it be a cheaper, faster and safer bet to make 10 moderate budget games than 1 mega budget game that has a 50/50 shot of losing tons of money?

>> No.4659603

>>4659581
It very well could be, but the problem is that investors don't like gambles. When you market a budget game, it could easily flop, and nowadays people require a certain level of graphical fidelity which drives the production costs through the roof, meaning there's big money to be lost on funding even a simple game. The guys on top don't want to take a risk on a bunch of small titles, they want to put their money behind a game which is almost guaranteed to sell, and that means examining market trends and copying whatever the flavor of the month is. The industry is in a sad state, but it's pretty much all due to finances.

>> No.4659607

>>4659510

There are a LOT of modern games that are not AAA and not indie - just "in between", for example Elex.

>>4659547

>Then, with the 7th gen we saw the full transition to muh graphics and online shooters

Why are shooters brought up every time someone mentions 7th generation and above? Check how many fps there are for modern consoles compared to other genres and stop talking bullshit.

I love retro games and /vr/ but most of you guys are nostalgia driven autistic faggots who cannot accept anything other than shit they grew with. I'm over 30 and I play both retro and modern games and love them all equally.

>>4658734

This is the first time I've read a post comparing 5th gen consoles that wasnt utter bullshit or an attempt to start a shitstorm. Congratulations, but unfortunately you will have to witness your thread being ruined by autistic assholes.

>> No.4659617

>>4659607
>Why are shooters brought up every time someone mentions 7th generation and above? Check how many fps there are for modern consoles compared to other genres and stop talking bullshit.
It's not bullshit. You're conflating total number of titles with popularity. There are probably 1000x as many pixelshit games made today as shooters, but they aren't necessarily what's popular. 7th gen was absolutely dominated by games like Call of Duty, Halo, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, etc. Compare this to say, the late 90s, where consumer interest was divided among platformers, JRPGs, fighting games, racers, adventure games, etc.
>love retro games and /vr/ but most of you guys are nostalgia driven autistic faggots who cannot accept anything other than shit they grew with. I'm over 30 and I play both retro and modern games and love them all equally.
Nobody is saying that good games can't still be made, but to assert that there are as many or more good games made today than there were pre-2005 is pretty laughable.

>> No.4659689

No only N64 and PSX won,If you had been there you would know nobody give a fuck about the Saturn,It was all Nintendo or Sony,The Saturn was a mistake,It didn't matter if it brought the arcades home because nobody longer give a shit about arcades by then in the west and no it doesn't matter it went okay in Japan because Sony kicked it's ass there too and just see what happened to sega because it focused on Japan instead of the world,Really makes you think why so many Japanese companies try to pander to the west now

>> No.4659692

>>4659689
That is one hell of a run-on sentence.

>> No.4659706

>>4659689
I was there, I had both a PSX and N64, but you're right; I didn't own a Saturn. In fact, I didn't discover it until about 2009, yet I still see it as a great console even without nostalgia being a factor. Most people truthfully didn't give a fuck about the Saturn, because it wasn't popular here in the west. That doesn't make it bad though. It has a ton of great games, even outside traditional arcade experiences: Guardian Heroes, Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Legend of Oasis, Sonic Jam, Albert Odyssey, Burning Rangers, Virtua Fighter, Saturn Bomberman, even some cool ports of Duke, Quake, etc. I'll definitely tell you it's one of the harder consoles to get into due to the exorbitant prices, but that doesn't make it any less great. If you can't appreciate each console individually, it's your loss.

>> No.4659727

>>4659706
The saturn may not be full shit and had some fun games like the D&D games but it didn't won the 5th gen by any means,It was big failure and a big factor for Sega to stop making consoles,Beign good It's not all it needed to win the war,What it needed was to appeal to customers and it clearly didn't

>> No.4659734

>>4659727
> but it didn't won the 5th gen by any means,It was big failure and a big factor for Sega to stop making consoles,Beign good It's not all it needed to win the war,What it needed was to appeal to customers and it clearly didn't
You're right, it didn't win, but I also don't think any console "won" unless you're talking about pure sales numbers in which case the PSX trashed everybody. The only one that really "won" was the consumer, because we got three amazing consoles. You're correct in saying that the Saturn was a huge part of Sega's downfall, definitely, but it was also Sega being Sega. Part of the reason they died is because they didn't want to just follow industry trends and do what everybody else did.

>> No.4659747

>>4659734
Yeah then you're right the 5th gen was really great for us customers,And yeah the PSX won but there is always someone saying "Nintendo made more money thay Sony" but those people are probably counting the gameboys too so it's not just N64vsPSX but Gb&N64vsPSX so it's not really a fair comparision,I guess it depends if the question is "Which company won?" Or "Which home console won?"

>> No.4660218

>>4659747
Yeah, it really comes down to how you evaluate success. If you're looking at sheer units sold, Sony won. However, it is true that Nintendo probably made more money than Sony despite selling 1/3 as many consoles. They manufactured, licensed, produced and often developed all of their own games, meaning they kept almost every bit of the profit -- even from 3rd party devs. The high fees and small profit associated with developing N64 games is one of the main reasons the console had such a small library. Nintendo was also profitable on every console sold, whereas Sony was losing upwards of $150 on every console due solely to the inclusion of disc drive. The N64 also sold about 60~65m software units compared to the PS1's 70~80m, which, given that the N64 had an installed user base 1/3 the size of the Playstation, is pretty impressive. Just to give you an idea of how good Nintendo was at selling software, Mario 64 sold more units than the PS1's most popular game, Gran Turismo.

So really, in terms of pure financial gains, Nintendo probably did win. But in terms of getting into homes and establishing themselves as a serious force in the market, Sony took the cake, and it really paid off with the PS2.

Unfortunately, Sega didn't really win anything other than hearts and minds.

>> No.4660230

this thread is a perfect example of why 6th gen should never become /vr/.

if 5th gen kids are this bad, just imagine how the 6th gen kids are.

>> No.4660231

>>4660230
Console wars should be banned from /vr/. From any generation.

>> No.4660238

>>4660230
This thread has mostly been perfectly civil discussion, what are you talking about? 5th gen games are as retro as any others, get over it.

>> No.4660281

>>4658734

>This was the best console generation.

Not with those fugly 3D models, they weren't.

Best 3D console generation was 6th gen, and that's not /vr/ outside of the Dreamcast. Best 2D console gen is 4th gen if you didn't speak Japanese, else 5th gen for Saturn's 2D library.

>> No.4660342

>>4660230
please, have you even seen the castlevania pseudo-console war threads?