[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 33 KB, 474x583, th.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4658320 No.4658320 [Reply] [Original]

I want to start playing famicom and super famicom games, and the original plan was to stick to platformers that I didn't need to know Japanese to play.
However, I've become interested in playing some games like goemon or clock tower. Would it be feasible to try to translate line by line? Would it be too painstaking for a puzzle game like clock tower?

>> No.4658327

>>4658320
Clock Tower has fan translations. Some Goemon games might, too. Use google.

>> No.4658330

Translating a game line-by-line would be incredibly tedious, and having to look up Kanji can be pretty hard for a non-native speaker, since you kind of need to understand the stroke order to look up the characters in a dictionary.

For a lot of popular games, you can either find a translated script/guide you can use to follow along, or you can find an actual fan-made translation patch. I would suggest going this route instead.

>> No.4658374

>>4658320
Clock Tower has a translated version of the ROM. Use an emulator and play the translated version.

It is a FANTASTIC game, btw.

>> No.4658432

i want to go back in time for fuck teen jenfer canoli

>> No.4658452

>>4658432
She's quite the babe, isn't she?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViftZTfRSt8

>> No.4658463

>>4658320
Most Goemon games are straight forward enough you don't really need to understand the text to play them.

>> No.4658475

>>4658452
i like her in the hot spot better she show her tits and vagine

>> No.4658489

>>4658330
>you kind of need to understand the stroke order to look up the characters in a dictionary
Just as a side note, this hasn't been true for a long time since you can just draw it on a computer/phone and it'll find it even if you're messy, get parts wrong, and your stroke order is random

>> No.4659204

>>4658330
>>4658489
Or use radical searching on Jisho. Either way line by line translation is really boring and slow. OP, just go through remembering the kanji and learn kana. Translating games and using dictionaries will get a lot easier.

>> No.4659213

>>4658432
That's what I'm saying fuck all this videogame shit where's the time travelling board nigga

>> No.4659240

>>4658489
Thats cool, when I took Japanese in high school we didn't have that kind of tech available.

I still feel like it would be a massive pain in the ass just to play a game.

>> No.4659264

>>4658489
Forget that, too. There's OCR now. You can mouse over a word and get a dictionary popup for it, even on emulated games. Though it's true that it isn't perfect, it makes looking up words you don't recognize much easier if other methods fail you.
Of course, as everyone's been saying, it would be way too tedious to look up every word, and without learning grammar it'd also be pretty pointless.

>> No.4659297

i am in love with her in that movie

>> No.4659540

all these jimmy come lately into my jenfer i was big jenfer fan before everybbhody i was jenfer fan have big crush since once pon time in america

>> No.4659548
File: 1.06 MB, 325x178, giphy[1].gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4658432
>>4658452
>>4658475
>>4659213
>Implying there is now or has ever been a shortage of hot teen ass

>> No.4659589

>>4659548
Yeah, but you won't be swinging any of it with that monk cut and BMI now will you, cabbage boy?

>> No.4659705

If you spent the year that it would take to actually learn basic grammar, vocabulary and kanji and at least 1,000 kanji you could pretty much play any Japanese game (with the exception of a few games, like some visual novels whose kanji chart sometimes feature upwards of 2,500 - 3,000 kanji) without a dictionary. And even at that point if you have a decent program that you can use to look things up that helps even more.

>> No.4659709

>>4659705
Why would someone who plays videogames do that? Think about it for a moment, a medium whose popularity resides on instant gratification.

>> No.4659720

>>4658320
The Clock Tower fantranslation is superb.
Also, have you seen Phenomena, the movie from which your OP image and much of the influence behind Clock Tower comes? One of the best out there. This thread made me smile.

>> No.4659731

>>4659709
Wait, so that means that no one plays strategy games? I guess that is where the "turn-based RPGs suck" meme came from.

>>4659720
>superb translation
>maybe a total of only 200 lines in the whole game
>mostly just what this (room/item) you got this (room/item)

Shit even google could do a decent job of that if you dumped the script

>> No.4659787

>>4659589
You think? Actually I'm getting old enough girls in their 20s look like teens to me so it's even better

>> No.4659969

>>4659720
My favourite Argento film.

>> No.4659978

>>4658452
>>4658432
There's no teats or ass in that. Teen JC was just a pretty face with no hot bod.

>> No.4660041

>>4658320

I want to marry Jennifer Connelley

>> No.4660210

>>4658489
>>4659204
Good fucking luck identifying radicals and strokes for kanji you don't know in a 240p SNES game

>> No.4660226

>>4660041
I want to cuck you.

>> No.4660249

>>4660210
Its pretty simple for the most part. The only time it would be effects in mutual-radical kanji and are sometimes abbreviated depending on the font. Most of them are pretty clear for the most part. I’ve have had a harder time with some PSX games (Omagatoki has small font and used archaic characters) actually

>> No.4661026

>>4658320
You can play Goemon 2 with no Japanese knowledge, just remember to buy a pass for 480 Ryo from a shop in the same screen as the roadblock.
You'll just miss on cameo dialogue, and the small sidequest to unlock the bonus level (and the Dracula secret boss battle)
The GBC game with Dynamites and Oedo no Daikaiten on PS1 are a similar situation.

Goemon 4 has half a dozen weird scenes in cities where you need to understand Japanese to progress, more for optional weapons and such, and then a boss battle that has a "guess the name" minigame that pretty much requires it.

Goemon 3 and Uchuu Kaizoku Akokingu on PS1 (which was the original Goemon 5 project before it got ported) have a whole top down phase where you go around a typical RPG town talking to people to get stuff and then progress to actual platformer levels (some of the best in the series, it's worth it).

To enjoy Goemon DS, not just play through it blind, you need to understand what characters are saying since there are lots of cutscenes.

>> No.4661312

>>4658330
couldn't you just use one of those apps where you point your phones camera at the text and it translates it for you?

>> No.4661314

>>4658489
What I do is just use the Google Translate app on my phone and use it to take a picture of my screen. Works nearly perfectly, even if I'm playing games with a relatively low resolution. Kinda wish there was something similar for PC though.

>> No.4661336

>>4661314
Wow that’s even worse than playing without anything. Google translate is terrible and you’re going to get the wrong meaning more often than not.

>> No.4661346

>>4659264
You can use a texthooker with PC-98 games. I can't remember which emulator you have to use though. I'l check the archive and see can I find the post.

>> No.4661368

Rarely seen such hubris as OP is displaying here. I'd like to see you try faggot. You have no idea.

That other claiming you can self-study to noteworthy proficiency in a year is also hilarious. Maybe if your a NEET fag who studies at least 4 hours a day.

>> No.4661546

>>4661336
I mean to look up kanji, not to translate entire sentences. I know some Japanese but since I only started learning a few months ago I need a tool to look up words I don't know, for which Google Translate is fine. Better in any case than drawing everything manually with your mouse or deriving stroke orders from shitty 16bit sprites as the previous anons suggested.

>>4661368
Depends on what you're trying to learn. It's perfectly feasible to start reading manga and playing video games after only a few months of study, as long as you're willing to accept that it will go slowly at first and that you'll need to look shit up often, and that you won't be reading any visual novels anytime soon. But many JRPGs are literally made for kids and don't use much complicated vocab aside from a handful of technical terms they'll repeat more than often enough for you to understand them.

Depends on what you call 'noteworthy proficiency' too. I can play through Tales of Phantasia or Pokémon Green in Japanese and understand most sentences perfectly fine but I wouldn't be able to hold a spoken conversation since I've got no practice in that (wasn't my aim either).

>> No.4661602

>>4661368
It’s not that hard. Basic grammar is pretty simple and so is learning vocabulary if you’re willing to take an hour or two a day. I lived in Japan but before I went I studied for 2 hours a day while commenting by train for 3 months and when I got there I could get by in most everyday situations with little problem. Within a year and a half I was already conversationally fluent and started working at a job using only Japanese after 2 years, which I still do today. Sure there is stuff I still need to learn but that’s mostly field specific langague that even most Japanese people don’t even understand. You’d be surprised actually at how bad many Japanese are at their own native langauage. Too bad some many people are black pilled on Japanese. It’s not that difficult to learn if unless you are really stupid or lazy or over-confident. It doesn’t help either that many people online are very hostile about it and try to talk down to beginners.

>>4661546
The best way for learning vocabulary outside of actually going to Japan and learning yourself would be the JLPT vocabulary 日本語能力試験 語彙 which organizes vocabulary by topic so for example : food, family, a store, the doctor, etc. I’ve only used the N2 book but I’m sure N5 or 4 would be good for a beginner. Try and find a PDF of it since it can be kind of expensive. Also what kinda smart phone do you have?

>> No.4661650

>>4661602
Moto G4.

I'm learning vocab using the core2k/6k anki deck, which is pretty helpful, and read a grammar guide or two.

I'm actually going to Japan end of this year.

But yes you're right. A lot of people treat it as this impossible endeavour for anyone who hasn't gone to a Japanese high school but that's really not true, and it's probably only people who have either never tried to learn the language or who got burned out after trying to get fluent in a few months. It's harder to pick up than, say, German or French or Spanish but it's not impossible as long as you actually want to learn the language. The nice thing about Japanese is that if you're a bit of a weeb you won't have any trouble finding things to watch and read and play with relatively low difficulty levels. If you're learning German, the low-level reading material will be nowhere near as interesting and you'll probably have to settle for reading things like German translations of Harry Potter which can feel kinda pointless.

>> No.4661826

>>4661602
Do they have one for fantasy vocabulary or SF technobabble?

>> No.4661892

>>4661312
What if I was emulating on my phone?

>> No.4661919

>>4661826
There is the auto flashcard import feature (vocab mining) on anki and this list
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Japanese/Vocabulary/Videogame

>> No.4663489

>>4661650
Ah I was gonna say you can use Renzo if you have an iPhone but maybe they have one for that. It also has a topic oriented vocabulary list and it’s much cheaper and convenient than getting the book. I use it for pretty much everything, even when I am doing translation work. You’re right though there is a plethora of information that you can use even at a low level. When I first got to Japan even as a beginner I was able to buy a bunch of Shonen manga and understand most of it, and it also helped with my reading because all the kanji that was used had furigana so I could input it into my electric dictionary, because I only had a galakei when I first got there. What are you going there for, btw?

>> No.4663491

>>4661826
No it’s sepcifically designed for a test but I’m sure you can find something online for that. Lemme look around and see if I can find something.

>> No.4663507

>>4661650
Actually they do have it for Android so you should get it, it’s a pretty good app. I’ve been using it for 3 years without a problem except for when they update and changed how you search by radical. It was free when I got it but it might be a few dollars now. Check it out and let me know if it suits your needs

>> No.4665978

>>4658320
Show butthole

>> No.4667164
File: 3 KB, 300x168, a2a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]