[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 282x218, Fallout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4658276 No.4658276 [Reply] [Original]

>playing Fallout for the first time
>talk to Morpheus
>get taken directly to the Master
>convince Master to seppuku
>oh shit, a nuke is going off
>try to exit the building
>run into a closed off wall
>wait for an uncomfortably long time before one of the brothers walks by and opens the secret passageway
>gee, that was close
>get up the staircase back to the tower
>inside a room where the only exit is a locked door
>didn't get the key off Morpheus
>didn't invest in lockpicking skills
>can't just kick the door down like someone not in a video game would do
>sit there for the remaining 60 seconds before the nuke kills me

What are some other stories people have of getting fucked over by retro games because you missed something small? Also Fallout thread.

>> No.4658290

I remember playing Fallout 2 and I had Vic's Water Flask stolen from me by the kids in the Den. Only I didn't realize they stole until I actually needed it to further the main quest so I had to go all the way back to that beginning town to grab another one.

I later went back to kill the kids and went through the rest of the game with the child killer trait.

>> No.4658527

>>4658276
My first playthrough I didn't bother taking radx before going to the glow. Played through it all the way and looted everything. Saved over every single slot in the glow because I knew to save a lot. Because radiation doesn't affect you at all for a day or so, I had no indication that I was going to die and that there was no way to just recover. Couldn't leave the glow because I would die instantly during travel.

>> No.4658536

>>4658276
>First time playing fallout
>10 charisma
>5 agility
Woo.

>> No.4658694

Anyone not playing Return To Zork with a walkthrough will experience this, and possibly if they are as well.

First screen in the game contains an item you will NEED near the end of the game. There is multiple ways to take the item, and only 1 way will actually get you the item without ruining it. You won't know there's a problem until it's already late in the game, and even then you might not know what the problem is being caused by. Lucky for you, if you fuck it up the first time, you can come back later using the fast-travel system to collect another one. Of course, that's IF you didn't miss one of the two items to unlock the fast-travel system. On that note:

Sometimes the game will punish you by taking away all your items permanently, putting the game in an unwinnable state. This happens if you kill someone you weren't supposed to, or take an item you "didn't have permission to take". Many items must be taken without any logical permission being given, and you won't know which is which until the Guardian steals all your shit.

There is a needed item you only have one chance to get. In order to get it, you have to pick the correct "mood" responses in a conversation that only happens once, and you have NO way of knowing what the correct responses are, or that you had to get an item unless you reloaded and played that one conversation enough to discover you can get an item. So you can have the encounter, and continue on thinking you did whatever you were supposed to do, not knowing you were fucked until later on.

Oh, you need EVERY possible item you can get just to access the ending area. Forgot one? Gee, hope you know which one and can actually go back and get it! Oh, and there's a bug in some versions of the game here. You can have every item, and the game will still think you are missing one. Only way around is to start again.

>> No.4658705

>>4658276
In fallout 2 I didn't take a timer bomb onto the oil rig. I forget what it's used for but I remember it being critical. Ended up hacking it in.

>> No.4660618

>>4658694
Didnt the game have a manual that explained at least some of that? IIRC there were some things written down only physically so if you were playing an illicit copy you'd be screwed.