Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

/vt/ is now archived.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 350 KB, 999x1454, PSXDoomBoxArt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642724 No.4642724 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Name some good first-person shooters for the PS1. DOOM, Quake 2, Medal of Honor, Disruptor and Powerslave seem like the obvious choices, is there anything else worth mention? Also, which one is the best and why?

>> No.4642732
File: 183 KB, 1326x641, psx_kileak_release.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642732

I really liked Kileak 1 and 2. The first one was one of the first games that I got for the PS. Even better was BRAHMA Force, that game was really awesome.

>> No.4642737

>>4642732
These look pretty similar to Forsaken/Descent and the like. I could never really get into these kind of games, I feel like something is missing if I can't see the actual guns.

>> No.4642760

I tried Doom for the Ps1 and it's not that good.

>> No.4642770

>>4642760
What was bad about it?

>> No.4642805

>>4642770
the music. the thrash metal/grunge MIDI music from the og doom is sorely missed in the ps1 version. theres creepy atmospheric music in literally any other game, but they HAD to fuck with dooms soundtrack. not cool. not a welcome change.

not who you responded too, btw.

>> No.4642808

>>4642805
Personally that was one of the highlights for me. I liked the atmosphere added by the ambient soundtrack and colored lighting. The DOOM soundtrack is 90% trash, if I want to listen to something badass while I play I'd rather just listen to real music like Alice in Chains. That MIDI metal is straight up dirt, half of it doesn't even fit the game, especially in DOOM 2.

>> No.4642847

>>4642808
Yeah, there's like 3 good tracks on the whole Doom soundtrack, and they are featured in the first few levels.

>> No.4642859

>>4642847
Yep, completely agree. Not to mention a lot of the songs get repeated over and over in later levels. There are a lot of things to love about DOOM but the music isn't one of them.

>> No.4642869

>>4642808
>>The DOOM soundtrack is 90% trash
Neck yourself you tastless pleb. Doom's thrash metal soundtrack was top-tier way back when and the remix of it is still top-tier today.

>> No.4642874
File: 59 KB, 640x640, 1440_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642874

Never played it but I see it getting rec'd from time to time.

>> No.4642891
File: 65 KB, 800x600, Duke Nukem - Total Meltdown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642891

>>4642724
This is a good port

>> No.4642894

>>4642874
It keeps getting recommended b/c it's one of those early console shooters that can control like a modern FPS (move/strafe w/ left stick, aim with right stick).

>> No.4642895

>>4642869
>liking DOOM's soundtrack
>calling anyone else tasteless
If you think the majority of DOOM's music is good, you haven't listened to much music. The very fact you'd even say "way back when" is pretty much an admittance of how much it fucking sucks and that you're purely biased out of nostalgia. A lot of it is generic 3 chord riffs, droning beats the repeat over and over, and some bizarre stuff like the music for The Underhalls that sounds like some shit from Santana's Corazon Espinado. It's hot garbage.

>> No.4642896
File: 69 KB, 640x643, Total_Meltdown.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642896

The PS1 Version has a great remixed soundtrack as well as the exclusive plug and pray episode.

Shame it has such a poor framerate.

>> No.4642898

Alien Trilogy (also on Saturn on PC)

>> No.4642905

>>4642898
Great game, but PC is definitely the way to go with this one. The digital controls on console do not feel right.

>> No.4642917

>>4642895
>The very fact you'd even say "way back when" is pretty much an admittance of how much it fucking sucks and that you're purely biased out of nostalgia.

written on a retro video gaming forum. ironic.

>> No.4642925

>>4642917
I'm not him, but I don't judge games on whether they were "good at the time". I judge them on whether they are good now. Doom, though, is a different case. It front loaded its good tracks, like many arcade shooters did. They are good, but the tracks get more and more uninspired as you go.

>> No.4642926

>>4642917
>written on a retro video gaming forum. ironic.
Because some things can actually be good despite being old, while the praise of others is due solely to nostalgia. Case and point, DOOM's gameplay is timeless but the music was, is and will always be dogshit.

>> No.4642929
File: 106 KB, 800x946, MV5BYzllY2E5Njct[email protected]._V1_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642929

>>4642898
I will never understand how a proper successor to this game never came about as it's really underrated.

>> No.4642930

>>4642926
>Because some things can actually be good despite being old,

music is subjective. and i like doom's soundtrack. so does the other anon. so do alot of people and im sure alot of people dont like it either. but to inject personal bias and parade it like fact is a shitty way to go about discussion maaaan

>> No.4642935

>>4642929
its a doom clone. theres a reason why they stopped making games like that at the turn of the century.

>> No.4642937

>>4642930
>music is subjective.
Everything is subjective. I'm not parading anything as fact, but to say that most of the tracks from the DOOM games are somehow good music when they are generic and simplistic as fuck is pretty laughable. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to my opinion that your tastes are shit.

>> No.4642938

>>4642935
Yeah, because they started making Halo clones.

>> No.4642946 [DELETED] 

>>4642937
so hostile. chill out and listen to jar of flies some more.

>> No.4642948

>>4642929
It's overshadowed by >>4642874 on the PS1, and by AvP on PC.

>> No.4642949 [DELETED] 

>>4642946
>so hostile
Calling things that don't agree with your fragile sensibilities "hostile" is a sign of weakness. It's what pussies and liberals do.
>listen to jar of flies some more.
I will, because that's actually good music.

>> No.4642950

I honestly think Doom is the best of the bunch. Disruptor is pretty dated, and most PSX shooters just struggle to run on the hardware. Especially given that many of them have PC versions (not all are ports, Alien Trilogy was ported TO PC) that are just better to play. Quake 2 runs great but just isn't very fun.

>> No.4642963

>>4642950
Hang on, they made Alien Trilogy for consoles first then ported it to PC.

Wouldn't it have been better to do it the way around?

>> No.4642964 [DELETED] 

>>4642963
>Wouldn't it have been better to do it the way around?
Dude, you cracked the code. This whole time, everybody's been making games on consoles and then porting them to PC... why did nobody think of just making them on PC first? Brilliant.

>> No.4642971 [DELETED] 

>>4642949
no, i mean the way you talk (or type, for this matter) is pretty dick-ish, and is indicative of your character.

>> No.4642979 [DELETED] 

>>4642971
Jesus man, just leave for redd1t before you get called retarded and have a panic attack. Trust me, you'll like it there. It's a nice safe place where everyone is always friendly and sensitive to your feelings.

>> No.4642987 [DELETED] 

>>4642979
yeah my bad i forgot i was on 4chan where the socially inept gather to release their anger on to doom soundtracks.

>> No.4642990 [DELETED] 

>>4642987
>yeah my bad i forgot i was on 4chan where the socially inept gather to release their anger on to doom soundtracks.
Nah, 4chan is where you go to discuss opinions and ideas without worrying about offending somebody's faggot feelings.

>> No.4643000 [DELETED] 

>>4642990
im not offended by you, i simply stated that you type like a troubled young man. normally when people discuss they dont resort to name calling and vulgar language when someone has a benign opinion on a video game soundtrack.
layne would disprove.

>> No.4643002 [DELETED] 
File: 77 KB, 900x600, literally-you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643002

>>4643000
>im not offended by you, i simply stated that you type like a troubled young man. normally when people discuss they dont resort to name calling and vulgar language when someone has a benign opinion on a video game soundtrack.

>> No.4643008 [DELETED] 
File: 231 KB, 988x685, 1471413472261.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643008

>>4643002
subscribe to my tumblr blog please.

>> No.4643009

>>4642964
Okay I'll admit I worded that question poorly.

What I meant was the game might have been of higher quality had it been developed exclusively on PC then ported to consoles later like Duke Nukem 3D and DOOM.

>> No.4643010

>>4642805
There's always the conversion of it to PC. The PS1 music is optional there.

>> No.4643021 [DELETED] 

>>4643008
>get offended because someone didn't pander to your feelings
>get upset and try to take the "moral high ground"
>try to use the memory of a dead musician as fodder for your own argument
>liken them to a nazi
You are a worthless piece of shit and you need to leave now.

>> No.4643038 [DELETED] 
File: 60 KB, 552x710, 13882308_614801315360494_6178481457383067459_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643038

>>4643021
>get offended because someone didn't pander to your personal opinion
>get upset and devolve into very obvious anger
>try to use sjws as fodder for your own argument
>dude stop

this is one of the few boards here that is mainly civil discussion, and calling someone out on being overly aggressive in tone isnt being a sjw, its just fucking common etiquette that you dont have. and if im a worthless piece of shit for this, than what are you? i think we can call it done now, because at this point im just enabling you to be more and more of a internet tough guy.

>> No.4643059

>music is subjective
If this is true, there is no such thing as bad music. Music is not subjective, neither is art. TASTE in music, TASTE in art, that is subjective. Get it straight.

>> No.4643063 [DELETED] 

>>4643038
Lmao, nice revisionist history faggot. What actually happened is that you didn't like the "hostile" way I spoke to you and started to cry about muh feelings. It's not like I even called you autistic or anything, I just said you had shit taste for liking crappy old MIDI metal and you became instantly butthurt over it, which is why I redirected you to redd1t because clearly this is not the place for you if such minor "hostility" bruises you so easily.
>if im a worthless piece of shit for this, than what are you?
Someone that doesn't use the memory of a legitimately good guy as a tool to try and make a point. I have no respect for anyone that does that. Layne played a lot of games and actually had good taste in music, so for all we know he might have thought you were a gigantic faggot too.

>> No.4643072

>>4643059
Music isn't all objective either.

>> No.4643085 [DELETED] 
File: 16 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643085

>>4643038
>hah, i will post a nazi image, this will demonstrate my moral superiority

>> No.4643142 [DELETED] 
File: 121 KB, 1536x2048, 1468647386234.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643142

>>4643063
>so hostile. chill out and listen to jar of flies some more.

so hurt. thats the words of someone shaking to his core, some weak willed man who wont survive the winter. i couldn't imagine a more wounded animal crying out than someone who typed "so hostile, chill out"
...take a step back and realize the irony in what you say. let me do another greentext on you.
>What actually happened is that you didn't like the "hostile" way I spoke to you and started to cry about muh feelings.
and all you have been doing is bitching about me telling you to chill out, jesus dude stop calling my kettle black already.
>became instantly butthurt over it
"so hostile, chill out" vs literally anything you have typed out so far. hmm. im scratching my beard over this one still.
also, layne was someone who had no patience for jack-assery. he'd have told you to stop listing to his music if he'd have seen you now. and thats not me "using the memory" ...that was his literal personality on all accounts.. he also punched nazis. lmao.

>>4643059
despacito is getting millions of views still. music is subjective. art is subjective. someone splashed paint randomly on a canvass and sold it to someone for thousands of dollars and van gogh died penniless.

>> No.4643145 [DELETED] 

>>4643085

>>4643002

>> No.4643172 [DELETED] 

>>4643142
>"i think we can call it done now"
>comes back to the conversation with even more bitch talk after getting blown the fuck out
Lmao you're a joke dude. Later.

>> No.4643173 [DELETED] 
File: 83 KB, 577x624, 34egdfyw6rn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643173

>>4643142
>he also punched nazis. lmao.
>asking someone to come up on stage and then physically attacked them unprovoked just because you disagree with their personal beliefs
>muh morality and etiquette
oh wow

>> No.4643174 [DELETED] 
File: 334 KB, 659x800, gelbooru_1136133_343b6dd091814d73fcf6ab0c2f7af199.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643174

>>4642724
Space Hulk: The Vengeance of the Blood Angels and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear. also, while it isn't a first person shooter, the PSX Ghost int the Shell game is pretty fucking kino.

>> No.4643180
File: 328 KB, 917x1061, gelbooru_2327123_4e97f9c7edf97f91dabd666fe6d29e2d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643180

Space Hulk: The Vengeance of the Blood Angels and Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Rouge Spear. also, while it isn't a first person shooter, the third-person shooter PSX Ghost in the Shell game is pretty fucking kino.

>> No.4643187 [DELETED] 

>>4643172
did you not reply after i said were done here? oh shit i forgot you were a hypocrite.

>> No.4643189 [DELETED] 

>>4643173
i thought you said later HURRRRRRRRR BUT YOU REPLIED AGAIN

>> No.4643194 [DELETED] 

>>4643189
>i thought you said later HURRRRRRRRR BUT YOU REPLIED AGAIN
?? i'm not even the same anon bro, i just think its funny how you use unprovoked physical violence against someone as an argument in favor of morality and etiquette

>> No.4643206 [DELETED] 

>>4643194
posters in this thread went up by one and it was >>4643180

shut the fuck up already.

>> No.4643209 [DELETED] 

>>4643206
>posters in this thread went up by one
>shut the fuck up already.
i already posted in the thread earlier dummy

>> No.4643216 [DELETED] 
File: 356 KB, 1214x1239, it_seems_you_are_extremely_upset.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643216

>>4643206
>shut the fuck up already.

>> No.4643282

>>4642950
Disruptor doesn't look very good anyway.

>> No.4643438

>>4643282
I played a little bit of it, like the first 3 levels. It's pretty bog-standard when it comes to the shooting and the plot really isn't a strong point. The only real appeal is the cheesy FMV cutscenes.

>> No.4643728

>>4642805
>the music. the thrash metal/grunge MIDI music from the og doom is sorely missed in the ps1 version. theres creepy atmospheric music in literally any other game, but they HAD to fuck with dooms soundtrack. not cool. not a welcome change.

This is ENTIRELY based on what you grew up with and are used to. It's a big shock. but after a while the score really grows on you. Give it a try. I like it mor ethan the original.

>> No.4645064

>>4642770
for me the framerate is not so tolerable. also some levels are changed slightly for the worse. the lighting and ambience is nice though, it gives the play a different experience.

>> No.4645364

>>4642926
>>4642895
>>4642859
>>4642847
>>4642808
I can't understand how people don't like DOOMs soundtrack... I mean that's the first time I've even heard that opinion. What the hell? Leave it to 4chan to hate what I like, every fucking time.

>> No.4645429

>>4642737
Yeah I get what you mean, you wanna be able to see the weapon. Still give it a chance if you run out of things to play.

>> No.4645457
File: 16 KB, 256x224, Doom (USA)000.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645457

>>4645064
Ok I just tried SNES Doom and I change my mind, that one plays like a slideshow. Atleast the music resembles the original

>> No.4645460

>>4642895
Funny that you say that since most of the Doom songs were copies or based on popular Thrash songs of the 80s.

>>4642808
Funny cause a bunch of levels use Alice in Chains as a inspiration for the music.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action