Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1001 KB, 1334x750, A9AC3229-23BB-4650-9196-B4E042B9070E.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4640130 No.4640130 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

Gaming in the 90’s was tough.

>> No.4640189
File: 413 KB, 1920x1280, 2008-09-24_Blockbuster_in_Durham.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4640189

$79.99
For a fucking game, during the SNES era, tough stuff man.
Good thing we had blockbuster.

>> No.4640193

>>4640189
>That frame shop is probably still open while blockbuster is not

I pretty much rented games year round, then when Christmas or a birthday came around, I picked the "all star" games to get as presents.

Sometimes worked out, sometimes did not.

>> No.4640195 [DELETED] 

Who does not hate women studys feminists? Now we know the feminist sith lord that Lisa learned her leftism from.

>> No.4640275
File: 49 KB, 128x128, 6CE86394-AD2A-452B-AF76-3DA99E9BC8D9.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4640275

>mfw never went to blockbuster because town had a local video rental shop with better selection

>> No.4641325

>>4640189
must of been a way to steal SNES games though. I remember rental from the early 2000s and use to give fake names and phone numbers to take ps2 games

>> No.4641328

>>4640189
New games are still $80 in Canada.

>> No.4641338

>>4640130
>tfw no gf to lead you around like a slave zombie using video game cartridges

>> No.4641342

Stop saying gummy.

>> No.4641351

>>4640189
RIP

>> No.4641354
File: 18 KB, 678x390, shiieeeeeeett.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4641354

>>4640189

>> No.4641368

It was okay.

>have a group of friends
>each friend bought a different game
>circle the games around when finished
>repeat every 2 months or so

>> No.4641373

Sometimes being poorer (or living in a shitier country) can be good. I grew up with a Famiclone and never ran out of games to play, multicarts and cheap games kept me busy, I basically got a new game every weekend, also renting and this: >>4641368
My first legal console was a SNES, and yes, games were super expensive, but I still managed to get new ones every month or so. I remember spending my communion money on DKC right when it came out.
I also had a Genesis, and here, it was impossible to find original Genesis games, I've never seen one at stores. It was always bootlegs.

>> No.4641375

>>4641354
I think about this shit every time I remember my folks getting me games for Christmas.

My parents were well off then, but that kinda money is nothing to shake at when you're buying shit for a 7 year old kid.

>> No.4641383

>>4640193
I hate going into Frame Stop. They're always hassling me to join their balsa rewards program or trade in my used frames.

>> No.4641390

>>4641375
Yeah, it's insane.
I'm a son of divorced parents, my dad used to buy me a game every month, usually when I stayed the weekend with him.
Poor dude was all by himself and barely had enough money for the expenses and yet he always saved some to buy me one.
I didn't appreciate him enough as a child and now it's too late.

>> No.4641402

>>4641390
As long as you grew up to appreciate what he did, is better than to grow up a spoiled manchild.

>> No.4641412

>>4641338
Protip: She ain't talking about video games, Anon

>> No.4641418

>>4640275
Same. I'll never forget you, Charlie's Videos and Video South.

>> No.4641420 [DELETED] 

>>4641412
go away nobody likes you. you dont know shit about vidya and you're pretentious. you think you're like nesfag but you're just crap.

>> No.4641441
File: 12 KB, 757x202, Selection_011.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4641441

>>4641328

>> No.4641443

>>4640275
I loved the independent places because they tended to have more odd ball shit, but in my town they never seemed to last for more than a couple of years. Blockbuster seemed like an immovable fixture for so long, then one day you wake up and its now a shitty discount mattress outlet.

>> No.4641450

>>4641375

Parents buy their kids tablets, hyper expensive lego sets, sports equipment they probably won't use, and whatnot all the time. Video games really weren't a big deal.

>> No.4641469

>>4641328
And then 6 months later they're $29 at Wal-Mart or 75% off on a flash sale or some shit.

>> No.4641493

>>4641469
Fucking this, I hate how some people cry about how games are so expensive in Canada. Just be patient and wait for the inevitable price drop or sale.

>> No.4641574

>>4640275
lucky fuck.

>> No.4641585

>>4640275
Same. My dad would always go shopping Friday night and we'd stop by the local game store across the parking lot in a little strip mall.
Fuckers had Einhander, but since my two older bros wanted Command and Conquer, we'd end up with that instead. I'm still mad.

>> No.4641586

>>4640275
>tfw had a 'video club' nearby with a HUGE collection of SNES games yet the only one I rented was UMK3, but they gave me MK3 because they thought I wouldn't notice
Got home, saw what it was, then never touched it again

Now I remember how I pushed my dad to rent it and thing how disappointed he must have felt when he saw that I never even docked it on my SNES. Feels bad

>> No.4641591

>>4641390
i didnt ask for this feel anon

>> No.4641594

>>4641383
hidden gem right there

>> No.4641605

>>4641412
protip: name fagging is gay

>> No.4641610

>>4641585
Back when PS2 and XB360 piracy was in full swing my bro used to rent games and DVDs by the stack and copy all of them. They started to get suspicious so he started letting his friends do it for him and he would make them all copies.

We had one of the big ones so when they went out o business we cleaned house.

>> No.4641614

>>4641605
>protip: name fagging is gay
That there is a tripfag my son, an evolved form of the namefag that's a little over twice as gay.

>> No.4641734

>>4641610
Fuck, I wish my brothers had the foresight to do that kinda shit. But my parents also weren't too keen on having computers, either.
Step-dad was so anti-fun with them ("Computers are for work, not fun!" or my favorite "Those games are gonna give the computer viruses!") that he tried to uninstall Space Cadet pinball.
And my dad didn't get a computer or internet until '04.
My childhood kinda sucked, is what I'm trying to say.

>> No.4642670

>>4641734
>Computers are for work, not fun
He was not wrong tbqh

>> No.4642674

>>4641734
>he tried to uninstall Space Cadet pinball.
Did he also try to uninstall Solitaire and Minesweeper?
Really though, he sounds like a huge idiot. I'm sorry for your kid self, anon.

>> No.4642691
File: 2.74 MB, 400x215, lousy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4642691

>>4640130
Not posting a gif of her running him into a wall

>> No.4642771

>had a PC growing up because father's business
>knew buddies who had Super Nintendo, Sega, or both
>our squad had practically every game that wasn't on some dumb fad console like PC Engine, 3DO, or Neo Geo

>> No.4643480
File: 149 KB, 443x335, Moe's.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643480

>>4641443
>odd ball shit
He means porn. Independent places carried hard core pornography.

>> No.4643490

>>4641614
The worst thing about that one is that I've seen like several different threads where he posts and then replies to himself as anonymous saying "you're my favorite tripfag, always such great posts! keep up the good work!"

>> No.4643540

>>4640275
I wouldn't say better, but as others have mentioned, you were more likely to have some goofy games.

>> No.4643549

>>4640275
>Only rented on Blockbuster on 95 - 2000
>All before local pa and ma rentals.

>> No.4643614

>>4643490
Literally never done that. Realize that I'm an intentionally polarizing figure and if you're the kind of person who hates me, you're the kind of person who doesn't belong on /vr/ and should go back to /v/

>> No.4643638

>>4643614
not him, and I normally ignore you, but just so you know, everyone here hates you. no exaggeration. everyone on every board on here instinctively hates tripfags. You're uncapable of understanding why, so here we are.

>> No.4643680

>>4643638
Even newfags endeavored to understand the true nature of chan culture. You're just pure cancer.

>> No.4643698

>>4641325
So you're a nigger then?

>> No.4643757

>>4641354
You spend about that much with DLC and micro transactions.

>> No.4643779

>>4643490

Nah that's me.
I do it because it triggers the name-/trip police.

>> No.4643785

>>4643680

Such hostility! have we been drinking tonight?

>> No.4643803

>>4641390
Same exact situation here, bud. The older I got the more clearly it became. My mom was buying my brother and I N64 games for birthdays and xmas(Mario Kart, FZeroX, Bomberman 64), and shortly after getting them, on weekends, talking with my brother about them, I think my dad would over hear us talking about the new games. Then, sure enough, two weekends later he'd have a new game for us on SNES, only it was the previous iteration of the games we got on N64 or PC from our mom. Coming to the realization that it was likely an attempt to sway favor I entered an immeasurable chasm of depression.

The most evident example is when I got SimCity 3000 Unlimited in '99... The next weekend my dad got to see us he had SNES SimCity. Looking back on it, it hurts to think about. But because of him I experienced way more games than I was able to in the SNES days(the years during the divorce process). He got us a Super Scope, too. When we'd play, he'd cream our score. Makes me think maybe, just maybe, he played them without us around. Be it for fun or as a memory of his kids... Either way, it warms my heart.

He also saved all the boxes and manuals and was planning to give them back to us, but his new partner fucked us all by being schizo and throwing away all our kids toys including the boxes. And a shitload of transformers and turtles action figures. Thanks anon. I'm going to visit my dad this weekend.

>> No.4643813

>>4643614

I've never been to /v/ but I have the impression, based on my experience with 4chan and what I've heard about it, that it's like this place only somewhat worse. So I can't go "back" there and I wouldn't want to anyway.

But I still feel disgusted with you. You're not the worst poster here, but you're a bad one. And if you are what you say you are, then you don't understand what you're doing, yet you pretend to. This effectively trolls me. Thus if you're attempting to do anything other than trolling people like me, then you in fact are the one who should leave (or failing that, stop using a name, which would actually be just fine since you're a somewhat ordinary poster other than that).

If you ARE in fact trying to troll people like me, then... good job.

>> No.4643816

>>4643779

This is how it's done. Actually accomplishing what you're trying to accomplish! Gramps should take a lesson from this person.

>> No.4643819

>be a babby, and a big fann of Sim Theme Park
>see a 100MB version upgrade on their website
>think it's gonna be an expansion pack and there will be new rides or something
>spend hours taking up the dialup, downloading the file at 2kbps
>finally finished, hype as fuck to play some vidya
>turns out it's just bugfixes and no new content was added

The bouncy castle minigame they had was fun though

>> No.4643921

>>4641443
>then one day you wake up and its now a shitty discount mattress outlet.

Exactly what happened to the old blockbuster in my city. Any time I pass it I never see any vehicles parked. A shame because considering the area it's in, I'm sure plenty of elderly people who live nearby would like to rent a movie instead of resorting to whatever is on tv at 3am or paying for internet+netflix and trying to figure out why casablanca isnt showing up and checking to see if you spelled it right and make sure you're using the right glasses...

>> No.4643930

>>4643813

The only board that is like /v/ is probably /tv/. They're both (relatively) worksafe /b/ boards full of normies that don't give a shit about video games or movies.

>> No.4643946

>>4641328
you can thank the retards running the country for that

>> No.4643951
File: 141 KB, 500x517, teen-stephen-hawkings-wheelchair-aciivision-14134926.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4643951

>>4643779
this is hilarious

>> No.4643989

can someone clue me in on what's so bad about babbages gramps? I don't really pay any special attention to his posts but the one's i've read have never really been any different from the typical /vr/ post

>> No.4643994

>>4643989
using a name is a way of creating an identity so that you can build up a reputation. he's pretty damn knowledgeable about some obscure subjects.
since using a name is optional, the thought of someone receiving recognition makes frequenters here who don't use a name (janitors, spergs, etc) very angry. they realize their posts, however good in quality, will be lost in the internet forever as "anonymous" while gramps builds a legacy for himself.
basically it's a weird mix of jealousy, and having a fragile ego, to care about someone else's posts. (but people will claim they just don't like him because of what he posts, which is obviously untrue when most of his posts are short and technical)

>> No.4643997

>>4643994
that's a pretty dickriding post right there
Aversion to tripfags is normal i guess but I don't get why people get up in arms about ones who are kinda just there posting without causing a disturbance, if anything they're creating more disturbance than the actual tripfag

>> No.4644003

>>4641325
Fucking degenerate.

>> No.4644017
File: 991 KB, 300x225, pteradactyl.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4644017

>>4643994
>he's pretty damn knowledgeable about some obscure subjects

>> No.4644018

>>4643994
There's less and less technical discussion to be had on /vr/ though that's the thing. I've been poring over configuration files to force emulators (currently buried by mednafen) into [email protected] with line blanking but I haven't even bothered talking about it here.

>> No.4644026

>>4644018
I'd love to read a thread about that if you ever make one.
Enjoyed your input in the windows 98 thread

>> No.4644076

>>4643997
You'd honestly have to stick around and see. /vr/ doesn't really have much in the way of tripfags but the ones that it does stand out. Babs is the most milk-toast of the bunch because while he does occasionally know something neat, he's also wrong about 50% of the time. And if you call him out on it he gets defensive and says you're just one of his many haters to deflect. If he gets really angry he'll tell you about his family that he doesn't actually have as if that's supposed to be some sort of one up. It's that behavior that people are sick of here and if he was just an anon that disappeared when the thread 404'd we'd appreciate him more.

The rest are garden variety idiots. They are here either explicitly for shitposting or just plain dumb.

>> No.4644247

>>4643480
>>4640130
Sneed

>> No.4644263

>>4644247
Go away Eric

>> No.4644370

>>4643779
Nah, it's the tripfag. It's always the tripfag.

>> No.4644373

>>4643994
>god, i wish i had the mental fortitude to trip, but i'm way too much of a pussy
>better just hate on anonymous culture to deal with the bitterness
This is just sad.

>> No.4644374
File: 2.63 MB, 3264x2448, Weeaboo as booboo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4644374

>>4644026
I made a post in /crt/ yesterday morning when I got Attract Mode to start MAME (0.83) in the proper mode. This is my first delving into making a still-common PC CRT mimic a high end SDCRT and I was expecting to get some shit about my food blogging or the scanlines being too fine (which I was prepared at that moment to adjust accordingly) but instead they were much more interested in discussing a 5'10" 125 pound transfag. This is the state of /vr/, even deep in a general.

I went on to get PJ64 configured and the romset loaded although I haven't figured out an efficacious way to add cartridge labels, boxart and fliers. Just unmerging the N64 romset was painfully time consuming which is so weird because I remember 15 years ago when wasting entire days at that sort of thing was a joy to me. It used to be that teenanons were in a similar place, with similar aspirations to the lifestyle I've since managed to establish but the last few years I've found anons like >>4644076 that I don't even know what to make of. This just doesn't read like a troll post. The hatebox seems to have served as a petri dish to mutate a strain of cognitive dissonance beyond my theraputic abilities.

Anyway, after I failed to get any feedback on my Pachinko Sexy Reaction scanlines I moved on to configuring N64. I started out trying to use Mupen64plus but despite its github's assurances that the 32 bit version would work in 64 bit Windows, I wasted another hour on failing to sort its C++ library dependencies and wondering if I was wrong to go with Windows 7 over XP before I moved to PJ64 which exposes the desktop while loading from Attract Mode in a way I don't care for and has a forum community that aggressively rejects the notion that anyone would want scanlines ever for any reason. It does look amazing on 3D games though so I just left it for the time being and may give myself a break from Mednafen at some point to give PCSXR-PGXP a spin for similar eyegasms on 3D games

>> No.4644378

>>4643994
Oh, he has a legacy alright. Just not the one he was hoping for.

>> No.4644445

>>4644378
I'm perfectly satisfied with the content of my posts. The reactions they elicit is 4chan's legacy not mine.

>> No.4644468
File: 18 KB, 300x100, 113.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4644468

>>4643994
>>4644445

>> No.4644957

>>4643994
>dickriding a tripfag
Fucking pathetic

>> No.4644974

>>4644468
>implying I'm denying being kind of a jerk
I spent close to a decade as an anon and this is the only board I trip on.

>>4641614
It's actually stage IV faggotry

>> No.4645116

>>4640189
what's this $80? It was always $60

>> No.4645149
File: 1.97 MB, 200x234, t.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645149

>>4644076
>milk-toast

>> No.4645191
File: 27 KB, 240x320, tim12[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645191

>>4645149
Yum! Condensed!

>> No.4645232

Did anyone else scope out TV sets on 80s/90s sitcoms to see if they had any video game consoles? I can't be the only one.

>> No.4645275

>>4640130
it was only for americans who played nintendo and genesis

>> No.4645321
File: 78 KB, 750x721, 1519202050592.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645321

>>4644974
so does being a decade as an anon somehow justify being a tripfag? It what relation does that stand?
Could you explain why you tripfag? Does it have any other deeper meaning than seeking for attention and wanting one to feel special in a pool of the masses?

tripfags never have an answer to this... wonder why

>> No.4645357

>>4645321
I've answered it so many times answering it again feels like I'm being baited so refer to the archive. I should just make a comic of it I've answered it so many times.

>> No.4645390
File: 10 KB, 300x225, s-l300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645390

>>4640130
Looks like she is holding a Japanese Master System cartridge

>> No.4645413

>>4645390
I agree but it's probably a byproduct of the character designers being older with Atari cartridges in mind but layout artists making things more to the scale of third and fourth gen consoles.

>> No.4645426
File: 103 KB, 700x490, snes-illusion-of-time-a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645426

>>4645357
yeah... no. You know damn well I won't be looking, it would take forever to find it (if it's even there), and the time you wrote me you could have just as well answered in one sentence.

>>4645321
>tripfags never have an answer to this... wonder why

Case and point. There is nobody here that benefits from you having a name other than your own ego... And even if there was a time where you had some special thread-project and needed the name, when the project was over there was no need to keep it up and secure it like a holy grail...

>Well...I mean,
>On the other hand you have been here for so long and people have to know...
>Need to know that you exist. You're not just some wannabe gamer, you're an icon to this community god damnit!
>After all this time there should be some kind of way to immortalize your presence here.
>Between the /vr/ memes like retron 5, fpga's, the filter wars or crt fights, people should see the name as a staple to the board.
>If they read it, it should evoke "Hey that's the dude from /vr/!"
>Have one's name echo through the halls of /vr/ even if you're gone,
>Some accomplishment to make you feel like life isn't meaningless and people actually recognize you.
>A 'digital statue' if you may want to call it that way.
>You know they will never really know who you are in person, but even a pseudonym is enough to fill this need to be seen,
>To be recognized...
>Even if it is hate for the most part.

You get used to it, it's worth it.
If at least they know that you are, even if it's only a hull, it all was worth something. All those years here not wasted.

>All those years


If it gives your life meaning then who am I to take it away from you

>> No.4645437

>>4645426
>What is pseodonymity?
You could literally search his question ver batim and have it in ten seconds but you don't want to consider anything other than your own preconceived notions which is exactly why you remain ignorant - and then ironically reference wasted time.

>> No.4645512

>>4641443
mine is a tobacco store

>> No.4645520
File: 3.81 MB, 2884x1931, Black-Beetle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645520

I once found a massive beetle crawling around the snacks in a Hollywood Video.

>> No.4645537

>>4644445
I'm also satisfied with the content of your posts. It aptly demonstrates your profound lack of knowledge and eagerness to parrot the first results you find on google. I'm also quite chuffed that your shitshow is archived so anyone can easily gauge what fool you are without having to read too many threads.

>> No.4645543
File: 22 KB, 184x274, IMG_5634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645543

>>4641383
>trade in my used frames

>> No.4645552

>>4645426
This is one of the most interesting phenomenons on the internet to me, this person is throwing a complete tantrum over another user using a name.

>> No.4645670

>>4645552
Hahaha, disregard that I suck cocks

>> No.4645764

>>4641493
what if i want to play the game on day one? What is this communist bullshit?

>> No.4645774

>>4642771
>thinking any of those consoles were popular enough in the west to be considered fads

>> No.4645901
File: 9 KB, 184x184, 01ef1c77356782fa927ea5edb76a0d6f04c46dcd_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4645901

Buy me Bonestorm or go to hell!

>> No.4645949

>>4644374
Babs I'm going to leave aside your weird womanizing thing. Though I think that your backpedaling once you found out the gender of the anon was pretty funny. Anyways. I've been here since 2007. I'm not some teenage troll here to get a rise out of you. I'm not even a teen anymore, I don't care to act like one. I have seen pretty much every kind of tripfag come and go. You are all the same and I'm tired of it.

I understand the urge to have an identity that people can see and follow here. But those tools that you use to make one were intended to be used for single threads. You wear it like a distracting hat or an ugly sweater that you keep bringing to parties since it's your only gimmick to get people interested in you. 4chan isn't the place for it and honestly if it's something you really want then there are other places for it. Especially now. The mockery you receive here will always be deserved as long as you hold onto that trip.

>> No.4645981

>>4645901
That game turned out to be utter shit. Primal Combat was better.

>> No.4646043

>>4642691
>image newer than 1999
Not /vr/

>> No.4646054
File: 38 KB, 480x267, 258d905b6088ecd0151a8dca13be424ab23e003132bfbfb0d61fc5c8f237d2d2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4646054

>>4645949
Hey man, I find that persnickity and fowl. You nothing person! How do you disturb the grate and unpalpable iggly diglooy (AKA) BABBLEAGES GRANDPARENTS. You cant reach my maximized skill form in all thing retroistic in nature, by nature. Fear my neck beard and cower under my sweat rash man titties as i mock you condesendingingly-like. My retro video game knowledge brings all the tranny's to the yard, and their like its better than than yours i could teach you but id rather stroke my ego on a small north korean nuclear holocaust discord server.

>> No.4646072

Stop name- and tripfagging for our and your own sake. You are shitting on anonymous image board and you are doing it for your own fulfillment. Please let go of your ego.

>> No.4646263

>>4645437
Pseudonym on an anonymous forum.

>> No.4646634

>>4645949
>those tools that you use to make one were intended to be used for single threads.
No that tool is called auto-ID. Check /soc/ for a board where that's used. Trips are a storied and nuanced element of Chan culture and if you're just barely old enough to drink I doubt you've seen every kind come and go.

Also not that it will do any good but I will once again point out that nearly every "intellectual" attack made on me hinges on the supposition that I am somehow unfulfilled or at least that a valuable portion of my self worth is hung on my identity on this third rate board on this C tier website.

>>4645537
You think?

>> No.4647170

>>4646634
You spend nearly every waking hour of most days shitposting here. Clearly it's very important to you

>> No.4647178

>>4644374
>N64 emulation
Holy fuck gramps.

>> No.4647179

>>4647170
Actually I just have malware installed on your computer that alerts me when you specifically post.

>> No.4647184

>>4647178
I started with it because it has by far the smallest romset of all the 5th gen consoles but the popular games really do have some amazing looking shaders available for them.

>> No.4647196

>>4647184
>N64 emulation
>shaders
holy shiet, gramps.

>> No.4647241

>>4647196
There's a place for both emulation and real hardware, Anon. I'm building an emulation PC to go into one of my arcade cabs. PGXP is much more impressive than PJ64 but Playstation game images take up a lot more hard drive space. If it makes you happy, I haven't even touched 5th gen stuff since I posted that. I've been focusing on mednafen. I've pretty much gotten the hang of my original intent which was making the PC CRT display 240p but I'm kind of up in the air about exactly how I want handheld games to look. Currently for efficacy I've been using mednafen's "goat" shader but if anyone has a suggestion for ones that look more precisely like various systems' displays I'm all ears.

Also I must say Launchbox saves a tremendous amount of time. The whole "community support" for hyperspin with all the nested wheels and genre specific collections sounds great but kind of expensive to join.

>> No.4647253

>>4647241
They're getting on your ass for emulating N64 in particular not because it's 5th gen.

>> No.4647262

>>4647241
If you want an arcade cabs, then put arcade games in them.
N64 emulation sucks, have fun configuring these plugins in your arcade cab.

>> No.4647294

>>4647253
I wanted to see how the hardware ran 5th gen and I already had the complete romset. I probably will never actually play N64 on it because the games nearly all use analog control and it's an arcade cabinet with an arcade stick.

>>4647262
The MAME romset was the first thing I did it was pretty straight forward.

>> No.4647315
File: 24 KB, 700x228, Capture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4647315

>>4641328
Boohoo a dollar more

>> No.4647513

>>4647179
I'm sure a dumb fuck has malware installed. Just not on anyone elses computer.

>> No.4647518

>>4647513
If you're going to be an asshole for no reason, at least include a game related pic or some text that adds something to the conversation. Otherwise, when your comment sits there over time, it just becomes clear that you're an angry janitor who deletes other peoples content at your personal discretion while simultaneously shitting all over the board with insults and non substantive posts.

>>4647196
With the development speed mupen64/glide64 has right now how can you downtalk n64 emulation?

>> No.4647523

>>4647518
>With the development speed mupen64/glide64 has right now how can you downtalk n64 emulation?
OK; have fun with these plugins.

>> No.4647546

>>4647523
I am having fun with them... Battle for Naboo is now playing perfectly as of a couple days ago, after waiting a few decades. New games being fixed every week. Thank you for the good wishes.

>> No.4647696

>>4640275
Same.
Then it went out of business. And I bought their entire NES inventory.

>> No.4648261

>>4647518
>being so mad you forget your trip
>being unironically hypocritical

>> No.4648263

Lisa needs to be facing 90 degrees upward.

>> No.4648290

>>4648261
>being a trip triggered tranny

>> No.4648304

>>4646634
Babs... come on. IDs? Really? They're used on 5 of our 70+ boards right now. They aren't even an optional thing to have on those boards so the comparison really doesn't work. Tripcodes were added only so that you could prove your identity when it related to a single thread or project. They're optional because you're supposed to take them off outside of that context. Look at the Princess Moonbrooke only play through of Dragon Warrior 2, if you need a recent example from here. And if you really didn't care about your self worth that is tied up here you would drop the trip. If you cared about the quality of this board you would stop derailing threads just by posting you dumb opinions with you trip. We could discuss stuff if we didn't have try and talk around you and your inflated personality.

Also you're wrong again about guessing my age. I'll spare you the effort of guessing again. I was allowed to drink well before this board existed, even if you assume I'm in the US. I first browsed 4chan when I was in college. I will be 30 this year.

>> No.4648306
File: 25 KB, 470x260, 517184ba6d4bf.image[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4648306

>>4640275
>tfw Family Video was always the master race
>tfw they're STILL around


Eat shit Blockbusterfags

>> No.4648310

>>4640130
Yeah, that's when arcades pretty much died out, say 1992-94ish.

>> No.4648592

>>4648304
Then your time is limited to stop acting like a twenty-something. IDs are on boards where thread specific identities are what the moderators want for the operation of the board the same way forced-anon is in effect on boards where THAT is the way the board is intended to operate. If you were on a board that actually suffered as a result of the name field you can count on the name field quickly disappearing. Believe it or not even when you turn 30 the owners and operators of a site will probably still understand its subtleties better than you.

>>4648290
kek

>> No.4649591

>>4648592
This board has suffered enough. If you can't see what cancer you are you should just top yourself. And if you think sitting in front of a computer 24/7 with 4chan in one window and google in another is a life you should top yourself.
tl;dr
top yourself

>> No.4649681

>>4640275
There was a mom & pop game rental place called Vidiots here, they were cheaper than blockbuster and had a much better selection but it didn't matter because by the time my parents got off work on Friday everything I wanted to play was rented out already. I ended up having to rent Plok and Ranma Hard Battle so many fucking times because I didn't want to go home empty handed.

Also I feel like I vaguely remember being about 6 years old and shitting my pants in there

>> No.4650078

>>4643757
No I don't.

>> No.4650242

>>4648592
Babs, where are you going with this argument? My point was that IDs are an obligation not a tool, for the users at least. I'll give you that they can be a tool for the mods. And even then they're use is narrow compared to the rest of this website. I don't know how much time you spend on /soc/ to think that their use is normal. Tripcodes are a tool designed for exactly what I described, regardless of whether or not you use it correctly. That is why people continue to harass you about it. You make yourself out to be a buffoon in this way when I know you're not. If you're going to argue at me that you actually know the thoughts of the people running this site better than me, then just know I won't believe you until you have at least a mod icon next to your name.

And I'm not going to delve into the irony that you are telling me I'm wasting my limited time here as I get older. I do manage my time quite well and that's the reason I'm only able to come and respond to you once a night. I don't stalk this board for hours everyday to post what ever thoughts I have on any topic at hand. Though maybe if I did I could try to outpace you.

>> No.4651202

>>4650242
My point is that there are boards that function the way you seem to think every board is meant to function and this isn't one of them.

>>4649591
No U.

>> No.4651401
File: 1.30 MB, 320x240, (YOU).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4651401

>>4651202
So this board is meant to filled with ID's and reddit-tier recognition to ensure maximum self-absorption and wisodm-circlejerking?
...Huh, didn't get that memo...

Would be pretty sweet if there would be a way to upvote posts though, then we would finally gain a way to cherrish our /vr/-celebs the way the developers intended.

>> No.4651623

>>4651401
The board is meant to function exactly as it does. Being so uncontrollably butt-devastated over me using the name field, something that chan posters have been doing for literally 18 years, is simply ignorant.

>> No.4651664

>>4651623
Agreed. This board is functioning as designed. An ignorant troll collects (Yous) by shoveling google results into the eyes of underage. Nothing out of spec here. And it's all archived so the world can see what happens when a clueless "gramp" has a midlife crisis.

>> No.4651667

>>4651664
"ok"

>> No.4652030

>>4640275
The place I went to didn't have the best selection, just SNES games that generally weren't all that great. A lot of old sci-fi stuff in addition to whatever was there (couldn't remember), I remember renting out Godzilla vs Monster Zero constantly.

As one of the games I remember buying, did Super Conflict ever let you win as the Blue team in VS? Mine and a copy some youtube guys had didn't, it'd just turn black.

>> No.4654419

>>4651202
Babs, no board is meant to function with permanent tripfags though. Tripcodes are just used to verify an identity for the amount of time that one is needed, and then discarded. Hence why there is no real security put into them, unlike an account on other websites I could name. Tripfags like you use it to prop up an epenis because they misunderstand the concept. No one here cares, your identity is no longer important. You yourself say that it's not important to you, but it clearly is because you have to bend the whole concept of tripcodes to justify your misuse of them. You could do this shit on any forum and be fine. But you insist on doing it here where you know people are going to be angry at you. Meanwhile you seem to have deluded yourself into believing that your opinion has become fact by virtue of being here a longer than some. It's like your mind has spent so much time spinning around in circles trying to justify why so many people are angry at you that you've wound this subconscious web or lies to insulate yourself. And now you can no longer see the reality of it.

>> No.4654428

I've been seeing babbage's gramps around here for awhile. I'm honestly not sure whether he's an lolcow, troll, or both.

>> No.4654465

This thread is a perfect example of how to give a tripfag all the attention he craves. Good job, idiots.

>> No.4654505

>>4640275
Shout out to Big Video. RIP in peace.

>> No.4654521 [DELETED] 

just read the whole thread, kek @ this.
however, I'm feeling generous, so I will share my understanding of 4chan with other anons.
every community has ways of doing things and not doing things. on some forums, you're supposed to make an introduction thread. on twitch, you're not supposed to backseat people playing video games. on 4chan, you're not supposed to tripfag.
this warrants further explanation. most of the time, discussion is supposed to be anonymous. your real identity and reputation is stripped away; you are judged only by your words. however, there are contexts where you may temporarily need a consistent identity (projects, story threads, etc.) to avoid confusion and prevent trolls from impersonating the OP. thus, names/trips are provided for situational use. to become wedded to your trip and use it everywhere is abusing the system. it undercuts the culture of anonymity which this community is built around. consider: if everyone tripfagged, it would distract from the discussion while not benefitting any individual tripfag, who would be reduced to another face in the crowd. only by acting in bad faith, and tripfagging when most agree not to, can they gain attention and notoriety at the expense of the common good. thus, they are mocked by other anons in retaliation for their selfish disregard of the principle of anonymity.
this is my understanding of the matter, correct me if I'm wrong.

>> No.4654526

just read the whole thread, kek @ this.

however, I'm feeling generous, so I will share my understanding of 4chan with other anons.
every community has ways of doing things and not doing things. on some forums, you're supposed to make an introduction thread. on twitch, you're not supposed to backseat people playing video games. on 4chan, you're not supposed to tripfag.

this warrants further explanation. most of the time, discussion is supposed to be anonymous. your real identity and reputation is stripped away; you are judged only by your words. however, there are contexts where you may temporarily need a consistent identity (projects, story threads, etc.) to avoid confusion and prevent trolls from impersonating the OP. thus, names/trips are provided for situational use. to become wedded to your trip and use it everywhere is abusing the system. it undercuts the culture of anonymity which this community is built around. consider: if everyone tripfagged, it would distract from the discussion while not benefitting any individual tripfag, who would be reduced to another face in the crowd. only by acting in bad faith, and tripfagging when most agree not to, can they gain attention and notoriety at the expense of the common good. thus, they are mocked by other anons in retaliation for their selfish disregard of the principle of anonymity.

this is my understanding of the matter, correct me if I'm wrong.

>> No.4654543

>>4654521
>correct me if I'm wrong.
okay. you're wrong

>>4654419
The obsession over something as inconsequential as a pseudonymous identity just shows how low the common denominator of /vr/ has slipped. You are literally incapable of accepting it at face value or just ignoring it you are compelled to make telling leaps of logic to attach wrong meaning to it. Believe it or not it was never about self-glorification. The original intent was about taking responsibility for making good posts but now in 2018 more often than not I keep it precisely because it makes people like you so fucking mad, and as a direct response to posts exactly like these in dumb threads like this one.

>> No.4654550

>>4654543
pardon me, I edited and reposted.
but other than that, I believe I'm right.

>> No.4654710

>>4654543
While people express their frustration immaturely, it is a little rude of you to be so stubborn about it and I'm honestly surprised the moderation doesn't ban people who tripfag for every post because of this >>4654526 reason (it disrupts up the visual style of the board)
I don't think you should necessarily be banned, but you sure are an asshole for going out of your way to violate the spirit and norm of the board

>> No.4654726

>>4654543
bye babbage's, may the filters have mercy with you

>> No.4654945 [DELETED] 

>>4654710
I know right? It's almost like Tripfagging is a part of chan culture.

>> No.4654946
File: 2.60 MB, 260x291, 1511878787189.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4654946

>>4641383

>> No.4654947

>>4654710
I know right? It's almost like tripfagging is a part of chan culture

>> No.4656098
File: 40 KB, 450x246, There's No Cure For Being A Cunt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4656098

>>4654710
I never understood the argument that it's disruptive because I personally don't autistically read name/trip fields. The only time I even realize someone is using a trip is if it is explicitly pointed out, usually by bitching about it.

Maybe it's just because I use Tomorrow that it never stands out to me.

It feels as if the real problems, desperate attention whoring and pretensions of subject mastery, are behaviors ignored unless they have a trip.

Babbage is a perfect example and if he took his trip off it would require more effort to ignore him than simply blocking his name/trip.

In conclusion, tripfags are ultimately good because they can be toxic people but give you the option of never having to see or interact with them again, as opposed to anonymous cunts.

>> No.4656140

>>4656098
yeah but youre a reddit spacing fag so no one cares what you think and I made it about halfway through your long winded shit ass comment

>> No.4656202

>tripfag vs anons bitching about tripfags
this feels so nostalgic

>> No.4656213
File: 22 KB, 335x412, Gokkun.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4656213

>>4656098
>>4656140
>I never understood the argument that it's disruptive because I personally don't autistically read name/trip fields. The only time I even realize someone is using a trip is if it is explicitly pointed out, usually by bitching about it.
>Maybe it's just because I use Tomorrow that it never stands out to me.
>It feels as if the real problems, desperate attention whoring and pretensions of subject mastery, are behaviors ignored unless they have a trip.
>Babbage is a perfect example and if he took his trip off it would require more effort to ignore him than simply blocking his name/trip.
>In conclusion, tripfags are ultimately good because they can be toxic people but give you the option of never having to see or interact with them again, as opposed to anonymous cunts.

Speaking of anonymous cunts

>> No.4656224

>>4648306
I used to pass this every day when I lived near Oswego. Is this just a NE thing?

>> No.4656267
File: 15 KB, 625x656, bait.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4656267

>>4641325

>> No.4656347

if it's one thing /pol/ does right, each poster gets a unique poster ID. that way there is no need for a tripname

>> No.4656376

>reading through thread

>>4648306
Yep, Family Video kicks ass, we still have one as well. Few minutes away.

>>4656224
Okay wait, Oswego NY? Cuz if so, that one in Fulton is still there, it just moved over a bit. It's on S 2nd Street/481 now.

>> No.4656439

>>4640189
>>4641354
>>4645116
Yeah, this is wrong. $80 adjusts for inflation. It was $50-$60.

>> No.4656440

>>4641390
Bro my grandma bought me a game every fucking weekend, and she didn't have shit. When she died she was so poor she couldn't afford any food other than breakfast cereal. I'll always feel bad about that, but in another way, I was only a kid and she liked making me happy.

>> No.4656549

>>4656440
Anon, if she's anything like my grandma, she lived off of cereal because it was easy for her to eat. My grandma lived off of non-sugary cereal and instant oatmeal because it was literally the only stuff she liked that she wouldn't get exhausted eating.

>> No.4656673

>>4656202
I miss that about /dzg/.

>> No.4656939

>>4640189
I was more of a Hollywood Video guy myself. Until they only gave me 1 disc of a two-disc JRPG. And it was the 2nd fucking disc.

>> No.4656985

>>4656098
>I never understood the argument that it's disruptive because I personally don't autistically read name/trip fields
Sure you might not. But look at this thread. I came here expecting some nostalgia times about the past and some game rental memories but what I got was autistic arguments about tripfags. C'mon guys, filters exist for a reason. If you really hate seeing them so much, then filter them and you'll never have to see them again.

>> No.4658264

>>4648306
This look familiar to the Family Video in Iron Mountain, MI. Then again I haven't seen many Family Videos, but the way you/exit enter the building and the weird spire thing are what make me think so.

>> No.4658437

>>4656224
They're in Missouri as well. I think its just a Mid-Western thing.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action