Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/vr/ - Retro Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 214 KB, 1920x1080, sdc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634279 No.4634279 [Reply] [Original] [archived.moe]

What was their greatest console and why was it the Saturn?

>> No.4634281

>>4634279
Dreamcast

Because better library. Sage.

>> No.4634282

Because dark savior and panzer dragoon

>> No.4634283

Genesis

>> No.4634318

Who cares, the N64 was better than both.

>> No.4634321

>>4634281
The DC has one of the most yawn-inspiring libraries in history. The only people I know who loved the thing were fucking Chads.

>> No.4634331

>>4634318
Imagine being this wrong.

>> No.4634334

DC had less absurdly designed hardware and greater potential, but the Saturn had way more (notably 2D master race) games, and was before Sega pissed off all their third-party support away to the SoyStation.

So, I'll have to go with Saturn, even though I have more nostalgia and fonder memories of the DC.

>> No.4634348
File: 2.99 MB, 640x474, 1520185166983.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634348

Saturn for 2D.
DC for 3D.

>> No.4634354

>>4634331
imagine being a tripfag that doesn't know anything about saturn or dreamcast.
> just imagine

>> No.4634358

>>4634279
both were terrible and forgettable consoles. nobody gave a crap when they were released (outside of japan), and still nobody gives a crap except weeabos

>> No.4634368

>>4634334
sega did nothing of the sort. their licensing fees and royalty commissions were insane (much like nintendo) compared to developing software for sony's new machine.

>> No.4634371

>>4634368
>sega did nothing of the sort.
killing the saturn prematurely actually scared a bunch of companies away from the dc (even second parties like camelot who would go work for nintendo instead)

>> No.4634402
File: 32 KB, 500x522, you-do-not-know-the-way-30122386.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634402

>>4634354
Imagine being such an idiot you mistake a tripfag for a namefag.
> just imagine

>> No.4634410

>>4634318
you should see a mental doctor

>> No.4634446
File: 50 KB, 874x686, DTKhRDoXkAA59z1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634446

>>4634410

>> No.4634520

>>4634279
Saturn fanboys are so weird. It was a 2nd rate playstation. and most of the multiplats weren't much better. Can you honestly tell me there is a big difference between the ps1 and saturn ports of Alpha 2?

>> No.4634557

>>4634520
>Can you honestly tell me there is a big difference between the ps1 and saturn ports of Alpha 2?
Uh, yes. The Saturn version has more animation frames and is just more polished overall. PS1 version looks choppier, like most 2D fighting games on PS1.

>> No.4634558

>>4634410
>seek mental help because you don't worship a console with a shit-tier controller, shit-tier graphics, no games, and no support outside of Japan that didn't even manage to move 10m units
Yeah no, I'm pretty sure you're the retard in this scenario my friend.

>> No.4634560

Saturn has become more expensive over the years, Dreamcast became cheaper, easier to find, and easier to play burned copied games.
Guess which one young fellas from 4chan are going to defend more?

>> No.4634592

>>4634321
>Being a beta cuck

>> No.4634597
File: 3 KB, 160x160, escuchón.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634597

>>4634592
>being a delta virgin

>> No.4634617

>>4634560
Not sure what someones age has to do with enjoying quality gaming for cheap, but ok.

>> No.4634619

>>4634617
they weren't around when Saturn was dirt cheap in late 90s/early 00s.

>> No.4634621

>>4634520
Fuck off. Saturn games like X-Men vs. Street Fighter ran greatly while the PSX ports were choppy. At least Sega ports of Marvel vs. Capcom games didn't force 1 vs. 1 gameplay due to poor performance of the console like the PSX.

>>4634558
>shit-tier controller, shit-tier graphics, no games
You just described the N64. Just replace no support outside of Japan with the U.K. since people only gave a shit about Rare games on it.

>> No.4634634

>>4634621
>You just described the N64.
Except the N64 was the console with proper analog controls for every game, the best graphics of the gen, and the most influential 3D games ever made, so no, I didn't just describe it you dumb sack of shit, I described the Saturn: a misbegotten plastic turd with nothing but arcade ports. The real irony is, you Sega cucks are so quick to defend the Saturn while simultaneously ignoring the fact that it was the Saturn which lead to the demise of the very company you supported. Even the people who made it knew it was a piece of shit, which is why they gave up on it so quickly and didn't bother bringing almost any games to the US market. It was a failure and the sales prove it. Get fucked.

>> No.4634636

>>4634634
>replying to knuckles

>> No.4634640

>>4634636
The point isn't to prove anything to him, but rather to remind anyone reading his drivel that he's retarded.

>> No.4634642

>>4634640
He wears that shitty namefag in all his posts, there's no need to clarify anything. People know he's retarded.

>> No.4634647

>>4634642
I just hope for his sake that he's trolling and isn't actually deranged enough to believe half of what he says.

>> No.4634652
File: 28 KB, 343x362, 1505543235663.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634652

>>4634647
Did you just pretend to be me and forget to drop your trip? Lmao, this is pathetic man.

>> No.4634653

>>4634647
I agree. Mortal Kombat sucks really bad, I'm sure he's aware of that, deep in his tiny mind.

>> No.4634669
File: 523 KB, 1417x2412, Sonic_3D_Blast_(U)_Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634669

>>4634634
>Proper analog controls
With a shitty analog for a 3-armed person and c-buttons instead of a right-analog.
>The best graphics of the gen
You'd have a point if you were still living in the 90's, grandpa. Early 3D games aged like shit as a whole so noone cares. The N64 can't compete with the Saturn when it comes to 2D games like Princess Crown, nor could the PSX. So how does the N64 win again?
>and the most influential 3D games ever made, so no,
Mario 64, Goldeneye, Banjo and OoT were all negative influences. Mario 64 for causing the early 3D platforming trend with shit games like Crash Bandicoot coming about, OoT because it spawned an untold number of storyfag despite story in video games being cancer, Banjo for collect-a-thons ruining platformers, and Goldeneye for causing a console FPS craze when they're only good on PC. Try again. Also Waveland and D for the Saturn were more influential, so nice try.
>I didn't just describe it you dumb sack of shit, I described the Saturn: a misbegotten plastic turd with nothing but arcade ports.
SEETHING
The N64 is the shitty plastic turd with nothing but Rare games that won't be in the N64 Classic, stay mad.
>The real irony is, you Sega cucks are so quick to defend the Saturn while simultaneously ignoring the fact that it was the Saturn which lead to the demise of the very company you supported.
It was too ahead of its time and it was mainstream in Japan.
>Even the people who made it knew it was a piece of shit, which is why they gave up on it so quickly and didn't bother bringing almost any games to the US market. It was a failure and the sales prove it. Get fucked.
Sonic the Hedgehog sold more than OoT and Banjo.

>> No.4634671 [SPOILER] 
File: 406 KB, 937x1020, 1520620026237.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634671

>>4634636
>>4634640
>>4634642
>>4634647
>>4634653
SEETHING

>> No.4634672

>>4634636
>>4634640
>>4634642
>>4634647
>>4634652
>>4634653
What even happened here?

>> No.4634684 [DELETED] 

>>4634617
So each generation bought their respective consoles because they were dirt cheap, and both are going to defend their dirt cheap purchases? It sounds really lopsided when you say it.

>> No.4634687

>>4634619
So each generation bought their respective consoles because they were dirt cheap, and both are going to defend their dirt cheap purchases? It sounds really lopsided when you say it.

>> No.4634691

>>4634634
You should start using a trip, Bernie Stolar. Anyways, nobody cares about your autistic hatred of the Saturn. It was objectively a good console with lots of games worth playing, regardless of your sad bitchposts about the thing.

>> No.4634701

>>4634672
Too many people on this board want my dick I guess.

>> No.4634709
File: 863 B, 212x30, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4634709

>>4634691
>It was objectively a good console
>objectively good

>> No.4634714

>>4634709
Sonic the Hedgehog is better than every Zelda game.

>> No.4634718

>>4634714
Nope.

>> No.4634721

>>4634718
Too late, you can't argue otherwise since you already brought sales into this and it sold better than all of them.
By the by, the Saturn sold better than the N64 in Japan.

>> No.4634725

>>4634721
>Too late, you can't argue otherwise since you already brought sales into this and it sold better than all of them.
Nope, Zelda has sold far more.
>By the by, the Saturn sold better than the N64 in Japan.
And literally 3x better everywhere else. Try again homosex.

>> No.4634732

>>4634721
>By the by, the Saturn sold better than the N64 in Japan.
It sold more hardware units, but N64 sold more software.
Anyway, you know what I don't like about you, Knux? That you're a 5th gen console warrior.
The worst kind of console warrior (at least /vr/-wise). I do not encourage you keep posting here. I know you will keep posting here, at least until you get banned, but I don't encourage you.

>> No.4634734

>>4634709
>sales == quality
Guess that means Black Panther is the best movie of all time, eh?

You're not too good at arguments, are you Bernie?

>> No.4634735

>>4634734
Except you said "objectively" which is based on facts and figures and not personal opinion you dumb fuck. I'd argue that the N64 is better than the PS1 but that doesn't mean it's "objectively" better. You're not too good at arguments yourself retardoid.

>> No.4634764

>>4634709
The objective truth about the Saturn is that in the North American and European markets it was horribly mismanaged if it was ass it wouldn't have really thrived anywhere such as say the 3DO, same thing applies to the PC ENGINE/TurboGrafx16 on a higher level.

>> No.4634773

>>4634764
The objective truth is that the N64 sold more of one single game than the Saturn sold in consoles. You can play what-ifs all you want, the fact is, the console was a piece of shit and the only people who continue to give a fuck about it are Sega shitbirds hovering around a corpse.

>> No.4634776

>>4634725
https://www.mcvuk.com/business/sega-we-are-turning-sonic-into-an-entertainment-icon
>We have now sold over 350m games - either physically or downloaded. We have been on more platforms than virtually any other game. Sonic is the star of his fifth TV series now, and even on mobile we have had over 200m downloads from the last few games. So the state of the brand is really, really strong and we are now energising it even further. We are rolling into 100 countries with the television show - Sonic Boom - and it is doing great in the ratings.
Compare that to Zelda's 80,000,000 and see that Sonic is far better by your own admission. The original Sonic sold 15,000,000 copies which is far more than even OoT.

>And literally 3x better everywhere else. Try again homosex.
Japan was the only place it was pushed, it was the Genesis situation but the other way around. Keep reaching.

>> No.4634778

Obviously the DC,Everything that was on saturn was also on PS and N64 probably except some obscure sega game (Not even a mainline sonic),there was more reason to own a N64 and a Ps than one of those two and a saturn

>> No.4634779

>>4634732
It was easier to pirate Saturn games, don't play stupid. Also for someone who hates console warriors you sure are playing the role good right now, good to see you posting in this thread instead of remaining out. That eager to declare your love for me you tsundere?

>> No.4634781

>>4634735
Sales aren't the only deciding factor dumbass.

>> No.4634782

>>4634779
>playing the role good
Just dropped a fact because I know it bothers you. I love both Saturn and N64.
Stay single-system, peasant.

>> No.4634784

>>4634773
More people also bought Sonic the Hedgehog than the Wii U and downloaded Sonic Dash than the Wii.

>> No.4634786

>>4634779
>Japan
>pirate
Namefag, you are the the stupid.

>> No.4634789

>>4634778
The ports on Saturn were all better though.
>>4634782
Yeah it really bothers me if people burn CDs.

>> No.4634793

>>4634786
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-19767970
>The Recording Industry Association of Japan had pushed for the move, suggesting that illegal media downloads outnumbered legal ones by about a factor of 10.
The piracy ratio is 10:1 there and their most popular file sharing network is named after a N64 game. Who's stupid, again?

>> No.4634794

>>4634789
>Japan
>piracy
It does bother you because that didn't happen. N64 gams just sold more per unit.
That doesn't mean I prefer the N64, I like Saturn a little bit more, but N64 games sold more. You can do all the mental gymnastics you want (not like you don't in every post you make), but the truth remains there.
Also
>being a 5th gen console warrior
>any year

Just stop posting.
We get it, you want (You)s, you got a lot already, now go to /v/ where you'll get even more, why fuck a good board like this?

>> No.4634801

>>4634793
>2012
>downloads
>5th gen systems

>> No.4634805

>>4634773
>The objective truth is that the N64 sold more of one single game than the Saturn sold in consoles
Doesn't surprise me at all SEGA was never really truly able to let go of its arcade orientation, a market which was even then was tanking massively especially in the west, not sure what's with your passive aggressive attitude get out or some shit Christ.

>You can play what-ifs all you want
>mismanagement and general incompetence has never ruined anything¨
Let me guess we got a manager at a government institution here folks.

>> No.4634810

>>4634794
Not that guy but the Saturn was popular also in Hong Kong(lived there until the turnover) and South Korea, piracy was all over the damn place.

>> No.4634812

>>4634810
Yeah piracy is rampant in China, it's where most clone systems come from. But we were talking Japan strictly.

>> No.4634819

The only truly great Sega games on Dreamcast were Shenmue and Phantasy Star Online. That's all. Saturn was made during the zenith of Sega's creative power, AM2, AM3, Sonic Team and Panzer Team producing mould-breaking works of genius like NiGHTS, Virtual On, Burning Rangers, weird shit like Fighters Megamix, plus shit hot arcade conversions like Sega Rally and VF2. Saturn had the best versions of the 2D capcom fighters of the time. Plus random classic titles like 10 player bomberman, Dragon Force, the best console ports of Duke Nukem and Powerslave/Exhumed. And that's not even digging into the hardcore Japanese shit. I'm sorry, but as someone who has owned every generation of Sega consoles since the company entered the home market, Saturn's game library was on another PLANET to Dreamcast (pardon the pun). It's not even a competition. I mean Christmas NIGHTS, come the fuck on. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the Dreamcast and kept the faith right up until the company's dying breath.

>> No.4634826

>>4634819
>Panzer Team
You mean Andromeda Team
Anyway, you guys aren't really taking this thread seriously, right? Look at who's the OP.

>> No.4634831

>>4634819
See? Now this is how you bait.

>> No.4634845

>>4634794
>>4634801
First it's Japan doesn't pirate now it's they used to be pure before succumbing to the darkness of piracy ten times over despite it always being easy to burn discs. You're also a hypocrite for still partaking in console wars while pretending to be above it all, at least I'm willing to accept being a console warrior, because I believe the Saturn is a cause worth fighting for.

>> No.4634847

>>4634812
>Willing to admit the rest of Asia pirates
>Still thinks Japanese people are too pure-hearted to pirate until this generation
What is wrong with weaboos?

>> No.4634849

>>4634845
Post a time-stamped pic of your Saturn and games (even if they're CD-Rs).
I don't believe you were actually alive back then, you reek of underage.
If you have a Saturn, it's probably a japanese model you bought off eBay recently.
Feel free to prove me wrong with a timestamped pic though.

>> No.4634859

>>4634849
I never claimed to be alive back then, I'm eighteen now. Also when did I claim to own a Saturn?

>> No.4634894

>>4634279

Saturn is unquestionably better if you understand Japanese. Dreamcast is better for everyone else.

>> No.4634903

>>4634859
So you emulate Saturn?
>eighteen
Explains a lot, but somehow I think you're older, just retarded.

>> No.4634909 [DELETED] 

>>4634903
Yes, I can't afford an actual Saturn.
I turn nineteen soon.

>> No.4634921

>>4634903
I've played plenty of Saturn games legally like NiGHTS on Xbox.
I turn nineteen soon.

>> No.4634940

People don't understand how much of a cluster fuck of internal mismanagement and bickering SEGA suffered around that time.
Sega of Japan eventually gives in to SOA's pleas of a new system they set the cut off date for the NTSC-J Saturn 2000, when Bernie gets the green light he opens his stupid baboon mouth in 1997 doing his infamous Saturn is not our future claim, resulting in a massacre of the Saturn's planned line up for 1998-2000 so what he did was effectively kill the Saturn not only in the West but screwed up the efforts to give the system a proper send off for the Japanese market and to make matters worse the Dreamcast was not even out at the time of this, so in the West SEGA was sitting with nothing the Saturn was effectively dead in terms of marketing, meanwhile in Japan the system was still around and selling units and then mid 1998 passes boom no games , resulting in legitimate assblast from the Japs vowing to not buy the Dreamcast effectively making it DOA there.

>> No.4635027

>>4634318
Jesus Christ wow

>>4634281
>>4634321
Look I love my Dreamcast, I love Bass Fishing and Shenmue and I still have to play Skies of Arcadia

Objectively the library is small and yawn worthy

>> No.4635043
File: 2.38 MB, 2048x1102, 1519501301735.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4635043

>>4634279
Dreamcast. Only shitposters and hipsters say Saturn.

>> No.4635065
File: 83 KB, 1280x720, saturn-bikini.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4635065

Childhood is idolising the Memecast.

Adulthood is realising importing JP Saturn games made so much more sense.

>> No.4635074

>ITT retards that ate up a tripfag’s bait and continue their feeding frenzy even after the retard accidentally outed himself
And this is why you stop being an autistic console warrior kiddos.

>> No.4635079

>>4634279
MvC2
Enough said

>> No.4635080

>>4635074
>being so autistic you can't tell the console warring here is ironic

>> No.4635082

>>4634520
Duke 3D was endlessly better on Saturn.

>> No.4635083

>>4635080
>I-It’s ironic! People are still taking the 64 bait ironically!

>> No.4635093

>>4634776
Now hold on here. That 15 million number you're pulling is, as far as I can see after a few moments research, is based off of console bundles ( http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Sonic#cite_note-12 ), which can be seen more as an indicator of the console's sales than the actual game.

If you want a more accurate indicator of a Sonic game's sales, wouldn't you want to look at Sonic 2 instead, which was widely regarded as better than Sonic 1 and was bundled with far less consoles? Sonic 2 according to that same page sold 6.03 million copies worldwide in its original Genesis release, 1.5 million shy of OoT's original release. http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda

I will give you that Sonic has far more lifetime sales as a franchise, but that's also because Sonic has far more versatility. You can go on Steam, Xbox, Playstation, practically whatever console you want and get some sort of Sonic the Hedgehog game. But you can still find Zelda legitimately on only Nintendo consoles, which means they inherently have a much smaller audience.

Your blind fanboyism is giving all Sega and Sonic fans a bad name, and I speak as one of those fans.

>> No.4635105

>>4635082
>barely any scripting
>simplified levels
>slower speed
>less music, voices, levels
>auto-ducking (and it's glitchy af)
>less interactivity
Yeah, sure sounds "better" lmao

>> No.4635125

I have been thinking of getting my first Sega console(nintendofag), I always read that the Saturn is the one of the best consoles for 2D games, what are the best 2D games for the Saturn that aren't arcade ports?

>> No.4635131

>>4635125
All I can say is, I hope you have a lot of disposable income or don't mind playing burnt games, because the authentic stuff is ridiculously expensive.

>> No.4635140

>>4635131
Is not like I plan on buying every game of the console, I usually buy stuff that seems interesting
no reason to buy things I dont like

>> No.4635158

>>4635140
I know, I'm the same way, but Saturn prices are ludicrous. Some of the better games go for anywhere between $100~300 CIB, and the better games are the only ones worth playing. Honestly, if you just want to try something new and experience 2D/arcade games, it would be better to just buy a PS1. I like the Saturn but the collection scene is just too expensive to justify the cost, and the PS1 has a much larger library at a dirt cheap price point.

>> No.4635172

>>4634687
More likely than you think.
However, in the case of this thread, it doesn't matter. It's pure trolling, falseflag and bait.

>> No.4635189

>>4635158
Just tell me some names man, I will check it
I will import from Japan

>> No.4635291

>>4635065
Childhood is thinking Saturn and DC are the best consoles. Adulthood is realizing the Genesis was the best all along.

>> No.4635362

>>4634921
>I've played plenty of Saturn games legally like NiGHTS on Xbox.
>plenty
There's barely a dozen actual Saturn games on XBLA or any online service, you sub literate Gen Z faggot. And no, the ports of VF2 and Daytona in XBLA are not Saturn games.

Come back when you've actually played some Saturn games in an emulator at least.

>> No.4635395

>>4634279
I prefer the Saturn but both consoles offered a lot of great games at the time as well as now.

>> No.4636092

>>4635093
The original is better than Sonic 2. Sonic Dash has more than 150,000,000 downloads. Olympic Games sold more than every Zelda game. Nintendo fans are biased as always since it's okay to count Mario's sales when they're bundled, but not Sonic's? Not all Genesis models came with Sonic, a lot came with Altered Beast or were bought used without Sonic. What game do you think so many people bought the Genesis for?
>>4635125
Sonic Jam, Sonic 3D Blast, Mortal Kombat, Princess Crown, Megaman 8, Nocturne in the Moonlight, Metal Slug, Megaman X3.
>>4635362
I have used emulators m8.

>> No.4636138

>>4636092
why did you delete your thread? what's your fav sonic game overall?

>> No.4636276

>>4636092
Man the original Sonic was not better than Sonic 2. It was a good game but not better. I realize not all Genesis models came with Sonic, but the sales figures I posted did include console bundles plus the bundle that included it was from 91-92; not the first bundle with Altered Beast or the later Model 2/3 bundles (Which some did have Sonic 2, I forgot about that) which was early in the console's lifespan but not so early that it would put off the people who don't buy cutting edge and not so late that they're winding down production. Both my friend and I had Sega Genesis as children and we were both particularly fond of Sonic 2 over Sonic 1. I had Nintendo consoles too though because I didn't give a fuck about company wars so long as I got to play the games I was interested in, though I will admit that I tend to prefer SNES over Genesis, PSX over Saturn, but Dreamcast over Gamecube/Xbox but slightly under PS2. Dreamcast had a lot of fun games, would probably be more fond of the Saturn but the lens in my system died mysteriously a few months into owning it. Likely not a fault of the system, though, we always suspected foul play on the account of malicious roommates. But I digress.

Also when quoting Mario sales numbers I'd personally account for console bundles where possible. And for 2D games you've neglected to mention Guardian Heroes. Gex was a pretty decent 2D platformer as well on Saturn, and I always did want to try 3 Dirty Dwarves because that looked fun but, again, my Saturn had a short lifespan and I haven't gotten around to messing with Saturn emulation much.

>> No.4636282

>>4636138
I didn't delete it, I assume it got deleted for flamebait along with several of my posts since I got hit with a global rule violation for it.
Sonic 2 & Knuckles.

>> No.4636362

The Sega Saturn is my personal favorite console but I would never argue that it is one of the objectively best consoles.

The Dreamcast, on the other hand, is the greatest console of all time considering the time period in which it was released and the limited amount of time it was actively supported. In 2018 it is a pretty shit retro console because so many of its great games have been ported but in 1999 it was ridiculous.

1. It was fucking $199 at launch with a god damn modem, a free keyboard that Sega would mail you, and functional internet browser with a GPU that was literally on par with the absolute top of the line PC GPU's.

2. VGA output that was supported by 95% of games. People forget that the later consoles of that generation didn't really have a means for higher resolution support until fucking YEARS later and when they did it was via a means that barely existed on most TVs at the time (remember in the late 90's early 2000's you were playing on mid to early 90's TV's and new flat screens were god damn dog shit). Dreamcast? Could hook to any fucking PC monitor that everyone had.

3. So yeah it might not have a library as large as some (though still pretty big) but here is what everyone forgets: YOU HAD ALMOST ALL OF IT IN FUCKING 18 MONTHS. If you got a Dreamcast on launch day in 1999 there was an almost non-stop stream of games coming down the pipeline on an almost monthly basis. It was fucking magical and something no other console has matched. Plenty of other consoles ended up having great libraries after 4-6 years but none of them had the consistent stream of awesome games.

>> No.4636460

>>4636092
Not anyone you’ve been talking to, but you want to ACTUALLY compare sales numbers between the two IPs? It was fun researching this.
>Sonic Dash has more than 150,000,000 downloads
Means nothing if the game costs nothing to download, how much money has it made in micro transactions? Regardless, it’s foolish to compare mobile games that cost $0/a few bucks to full retail priced games, so let’s keep this conversation serious and leave out joke numbers like SEGA’s 350 million.
>Olympic Games sold more than every Zelda game.
Only the first one did, it isn’t even a proper Sonic game (it also had sales closer to Mario than Sonic, so thanks Mario), and it sold better than all but the first Sonic game as well due to Sonic being a pack-in title.
>inb4 pack-ins don’t mean much
The first Sonic game sold over 22 million units, the second only sold 6 million. That’s a big fucking difference, and from looking at Genesis sales numbers during the period when the Sonic bundle was relevant, in North America alone it could have moved between 5 to 10 million Sonic games. And yes, people did buy more when Sonic was bundled but there was also a massive marketing blitz to accompany all that and, again, Sonic 2’s 70+% drop off.

Now after Sonic 2, Zelda titles basically sold on average much better than Sonic games. LoZ, OoT, TP (Wii version), and BotW (Switch version) all sold better than the second best selling Sonic game Sonic 2*, and I can count 8 Zelda games that sold better than all other Sonic games except the first two*. Even if Sonic has moved more physical units total, average Sonic title sales fall far short of average Zelda title sales.

*I’ve read that Sonic for the Master System has sold 9 million (!) units, but I can’t find anything to back that up and the numbers wouldn’t make any sense for 1st world markets, leaving me to believe this is entirely the work of Hues which still buy Master Systems to this day. Can’t predict that kind of autism.

>> No.4637609

>>4636092
>Sonic Jam, Sonic 3D Blast, Mortal Kombat, Princess Crown, Megaman 8, Nocturne in the Moonlight, Metal Slug, Megaman X3.
Is that it?

>> No.4637765

>>4634279
Dreamcast because the games were much better and way more innovative.

>> No.4638374

>>4635131

>All I can say is, I hope you have a lot of disposable income or don't mind playing burnt games, because the authentic stuff is ridiculously expensive.

Not if you buy Japanese. There's plenty of great games to be had for $40 and under from its library, including most of the games that are meme $100+ buys in other regions.

>> No.4638387

Saturn for Sega Rally and Virtua Fighter 2.

>> No.4638401
File: 20 KB, 225x225, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
4638401

>>4636362
this fuckr came also for free good times

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action