[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 154 KB, 1440x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4627867 No.4627867 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Games that have Fortune tellers / Horoscope / Fortune Cards etc...

What retro games use this mechanic to give the player hints or used for quests?
Or maybe even use it as some sort of minigame.

Were there any that were actually really useful?

Would be interesting to know, all I remember right now is the fortune teller from alttp
>pic related

>> No.4627868
File: 88 KB, 800x784, When you see it.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also this

>> No.4627873
File: 1 KB, 16x23, FortuneTeller.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hmm... didn't know there were three of them:

>In A Link to the Past, three Fortune-Tellers can be found in both the Light and the Dark Worlds. One can be found north of Kakariko Village, another one next to the Lake Hylia Shop Cave, and a third one north of the Village of Outcasts. By paying between 10 and 30 Rupees, the Fortune-Teller can give Link advice on how to proceed in his adventure. Also, Link's Hearts are fully refilled.

Also I forgot that it heals you... has been so long since I visited the fortune teller.
10 hearts for full hearts seems like a good deal

>> No.4627890

Terranigma, somewhat useful if you're lost sometimes. There's an item gathering quest where you're vaguely told where to go.

>> No.4627895
File: 305 KB, 608x416, mystical ninja starring goemon.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>PURAZUMAAA!

>> No.4627912

Not retro, but VTMB was pretty humorous about this. Certain clans get preminitions, at one point you meet an unimportant NPC that seemingly speaks in gibberish, except later on you realize she spoils the entire game. The player can play as the same clan and do the same at various points in the story.

>> No.4627943

>>4627890
There's a funny variant in Terranigma: in Loire, there's a girl that sells flowers. Also in Loire, the fortune teller always says "huh? your lucky item is a flower!"; in the rest of the world, they actually offer advice. You DO need one flower to beat the game, but the fortune teller urges you to get flowers really early one and even at the end I think she's still urging you to buy them. I guess they were implying that Loire's witch was in cahoots with the flower girl to sell more flowers or something?

>> No.4627946

>>4627943
I don't know but it took me a while to figure out where that flower was mandatory. And that you could buy an unlimited number of flowers that the girl wouldn't just fuck off.