[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 26 KB, 240x320, donpachi2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4610704 No.4610704 [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on DonPachi?

Even though I'm more of a fan of pre-Ikeda Toaplan games, I also enjoy his two games: V-V and Batsugun (+ Special Version). DonPachi is like the only Cave game he made that feels like these two with its more oldschool feeling first loop and the suicide bullets in the second loop, which makes sense considering it's the first one. Only that DonPachi is more tightly designed than V-V (the Gradius / Salamander elements seem a bit out of place IMO) and more challenging than Batsugun. It's not a coincidence the "hold shoot to fire a laser and slow you down to micrododge better" became a staple.

Of course, I'll admit it's not that amazing, there's a reason it's not as discussed. Its scoring system, while cool (particularly for when it came out), is not as fleshed out and polished as in some later games. Also, the fact that scoring only gives you one extend, which is easy to get even when not being super good around stage 2 or 3, makes it not as appealing when playing for survival. Which makes the easy first few stages a bit more boring to replay than they already are.

I've only 2-ALL'd the International Version thanks to it higher bomb count potential. While I've only gotten up till stage 2-4 in the original Japanese version, I've had fun playing this game on and off through the years.

>> No.4610710

>>4610704
Up to the boss of 2-4, btw. That guy is a pain in the ass to me even in the first loop.

>> No.4611003

I'll give this thread another chance with this bump before signing off. Hope to see some activity here when I return in some hours!

>> No.4611343

>>4610704
It's pretty guud game but basically DDP did everything betterer.

>> No.4611719

>>4611343
Sure, DDP is more solid, but I like this game's more oldschool appeal too.